Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just merge leather and mail for transmog already!

Look, we’re likely not getting another full class. We might get a reskinnng system, but I think it’s safe to at least hypothetically predict no new full classes for the sake of this discussion. In light of this and assuming for the moment that it turns out to be true, I think it’s long past due that we merge the pools of class agnostic leather and mail appearances into one unified set of options for classes of both armor types to pull from.

Plate covers 3 classes, cloth covers 3 classes, mail covers 2 and leather covers 4, both of mail’s date back to the earliest days of the game and 2 of leather’s are later-arriving expansion classes, meaning limited formal sets. Mail and leather therefore easily cover each other’s deficiencies.

Shaman, Druid and hunter are all nature-themed classes or at least nature-adjacent. Hell, hunters famously make up their tier sets adorned with the bits of various animals and somehow that’s mail, not leather.

Dressing a mail character is an abysmal affair because the shamanic 5-element concept is often a traffic jam of clashing aesthetics, to the point that I personally see a great armor agnostic set like heritage armor and think “excellent, a chance to make a mail character that looks good!”

I don’t see the downside of letting mail characters pick from the vast available class agnostic leather appearances, and conversely giving newer leather classes more options. If we’re still insistent on having lines between armor types, I think this one should be moved, in my not-even-remotely-humble opinion!

Why not just remove the type restrictions on all armor sans Class specific sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Why not just remove the type restrictions on all armor sans Class specific sets?
    While you would get some cool combinations a lot would look awful. I get mail mostly gets the short end of the stick most of the time but they have some decent choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enderzone View Post
    While you would get some cool combinations a lot would look awful. I get mail mostly gets the short end of the stick most of the time but they have some decent choices.
    They should *at least* make the garrison sets all cosmetic.

I'm still annoyed that the ''Thunderlord'' set (You know, the clan full of hunters?) Is fucking LEATHER!

I mean yeah obviously this would be superior, which is why I mentioned it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordheim View Post
    They should *at least* make the garrison sets all cosmetic.

I'm still annoyed that the ''Thunderlord'' set (You know, the clan full of hunters?) Is fucking LEATHER!
    Hmm you do have a point I forgot about the cosmetic brand of armor.

So? I mean I agree that mail tends to get shafted a bit but who cares if someone wants to have a doofy mog with random cloth plate pieces? Its a video game and it doesn't impact actual gameplay so it should be fine.

So? I mean I agree that mail tends to get shafted a bit but who cares if someone wants to have a doofy mog with random cloth plate pieces? Its a video game and it doesn't impact actual gameplay so it should be fine.
    This attitude makes the game worse though. Making something shallower and shallower destroying unique things in the process doesn't make a better experience. It is why lfr and lfd are never compared equally with actual raiding and old heroics from tbc.

Making some easier and more mainstream doesn't make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I think it’s long past due that we merge the pools of class agnostic leather and mail appearances into one unified set of options for classes of both armor types to pull from.
    Couldn't you have posted this in the other thread that is pretty much about the same thing?

nonono. merge plate and mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Couldn't you have posted this in the other thread that is pretty much about the same thing?
    Because he is a unique snowflake and his opinion on this matter is VASTLY different than that of the other thread....

This attitude makes the game worse though. Making something shallower and shallower destroying unique things in the process doesn't make a better experience. It is why lfr and lfd are never compared equally with actual raiding and old heroics from tbc.

Making some easier and more mainstream doesn't make it better.
    And this is where your bias is confusing things. Wraith Dungeons were easy BEFORE LFD. Or did you completely forget LFD came later in Wraith? Did you also forget they tried to make Cata heroics hard and it failed? LFR was never supposed to be equal to "actual" raiding, it was always a sampler version to get people interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    And this is where your bias is confusing things. Wraith Dungeons were easy BEFORE LFD. Or did you completely forget LFD came later in Wraith? Did you also forget they tried to make Cata heroics hard and it failed? LFR was never supposed to be equal to "actual" raiding, it was always a sampler version to get people interested in it.
    Wraith dungeons were easy I won't debate that but they still had tbc standards for how people behaved in a group. If you were being carried usually you got kicked its why after LFD came into the game kick protection followed shortly after because they didn't want players having the power to remove problem players themselves.

What happened to all the “meaningful choices” crap that people were throwing around concerning covenants?..

10+ Year Old Account
    Please no, I main Rogue and I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours farming transmog and millions of gold as well, don't wanna re-do it all for the Mail gear too

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for it, though i understand why people may not like it, at least let us use Green / Blue leather gear, and use the same logic for other classes (plate wearers can use green and rare items, and so on, or maybe make it more "unique", aka, letting Warrior do that, and Paladins get access to green / blue cloth gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    nonono. merge plate and mail.
    Neither hunter nor shaman should be wearing plate armor. I know shamans want to be wannbe Thors despite picking the class whose name refers to a priest/spiritual leader in tribal societies that should be wearing cloth and animal hides, but the reality is it makes no sense for them to upgrade to plate. Certainly not for hunters and the only way forward is definitely to keep both in the same armor category, because splitting the their transmog pool is an extremely poor option (and again shaman make no sense to be wearing plate in the first place) wrought with countless issues. There are also no issues what so ever with having 6 classes in the leather pool, personal loot is a thing for a while now and parity between the categories hence is no longer required.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Neither hunter nor shaman should be wearing plate armor. I know shamans want to be wannbe Thors despite picking the class whose name refers to a priest/spiritual leader in tribal societies that should be wearing cloth and animal hides, but the reality is it makes no sense for them to upgrade to plate. Certainly not for hunters and the only way forward is definitely to keep both in the same armor category, because splitting the their transmog pool is an extremely poor option (and again shaman make no sense to be wearing plate in the first place) wrought with countless issues. There are also no issues what so ever with having 6 classes in the leather pool, personal loot is a thing for a while now and parity between the categories hence is no longer required.
    ez fix. just make it so plate wearing classes, who can wear all armor types, can also tmog all armor types.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support this suggestion. Always have trouble mogging my hunter and shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will be getting another class, and it will be mail. No need to merge Leather and Mail together.