Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Did you like D3 ?

Tldr, Diablo 3 is a terrible game that affected Blizzard's overall way of thinking (on how games should be done) and things need to change if they still believe that this franchise can still be profitable played on PC

So long story short.

I bought d3 when it was released, because i was so bored of WoW back then, because it was promised pvp and because i have not played any other Ds before. Me and my guys were were so hyped about this game as everyone else.

We sat down and started playing the game and we were like wtf is this? Back then you simply could not raise the difficulty and it was ridiculous how easy it was. Naturally, everyone dropped the game w/o finishing it, since there was no pvp coming, real money AH and other known and well discussed issues. I have to point out that basically everyone forced themselves to play the game until the eventual drop. Then some changes occurred the difficulty was unlocked, ah cancelled, pvp was still out of the horizon.

I tried it again (unfortunately only me noone else and some other gr8 blizzard funboy friend of mine who plays anything blizzard delivers). I maxed the difficulty in some torment lvls where everything was not melting and i had some challenge but i could at the same time kill them with my shit gear. The game was not enjoyable but it was now playable, i was like yeah i can now at least finish the game and see what was the fuss about all those years since the first time i saw it (but never played it) when i was in elementary school. I eventually finished it, killed the final boss and i was like ok. It was not something memorable but it was not so shit after all.

However, i could not continue playing and raising my paragon levels. i did that for a bit but only for a bit.

Back then i was a huge blizzard fun boy, i was like i am the wrong not liking d3 because the company that made tft, roc, sc and ofc wow can't deliver a shitty game. I tried the game again with a less op class than the witch doctor was, a demon hunter, it was definitely better but still i could not run the same shit all over again, so i eventually dropped the game for good.

Obviously, when the expansion released i did not buy it and noone from my peers did. I always had the itch to buy it especially when the reviews were saying it was good etc but i did not. However, during Christmas it was on sale for only 10 euros and i bought it, but did not install it.

Due to the covid-19 everyone played games more and i was not the exception. I finished many games that were sitting on my steam library or on my actual library and it was the time of the d3 expansion.

I was pumped up to play a new class, the necromancer. I realized that i had to spent an additional amount of 15euros and i was like no ty. I said ok.... I will play paladin and i realized that i had to play the campaign from ACT1 since i have not played anything since 2013. I was like ok i am not doing that either, i will play my demon hunter which i remembered that i actually liked playing with it but i realized that that char too was not max lvl either, so i ended up with my OP witch doctor (i hate OP classes that's why i am being ironic, to make an analogy in wotlk i ditched the dk class after i lvled it because i was seeing how awesomly OP was and i did the same in legion with dh).

I said ok nvm i will max out the difficulty and enjoy the game, but again for some reason the highest difficulty possible was Hard. Obviously, everything melted. In any other case i would have dropped the game but we were on lockdown and i could not go to the gym, go out, etc things that i actually enjoy so i played it until the end.

I finished the game and every other difficulty was unlocked, i was like ok lets start with torment 5, i could not kill anything but it was challenging and fun, i lowered to torment 4. i still could not kill anything but it was getting better, at torment 3 i was ok. I started liking the game, figuring out traits that i need to play, how they interact with each other and so on and so forth. I was like lets change my keybindings now to play more efficiently but for me the game ended around there.

Bitter (not sweet) flavor is on my mouth right now, writing this long message. D3 was the start of a huge downfall for Blizzard that affected all of its games and especially WoW.

Looting many pointless items just for the sake of looting with different stats and different names, multiple difficulties for no apparent reason, you are basically burned until you reach the end of the game and you cba so much to continue after it, pointless classes with so many little things to press (yeah ok i get it is an ARPG), pointless fights with zilion of unnamed creatures that you storm through them without any form of strategy, pointless passive buffs that make you godlike.

It was good that d3 was buried and they proceeded with the production of d4 and not any expansion for the latter. But lets face the truth here, at least from my point of view. Diablo in general if they want it to continue being a PC game it needs to change, for me top-down ARPG are a huge waste of resources and it needs to evolve in something else, if it wants to remain relevant.

Personally, i don't see the reason why a multi billion company as blizzard is nowadays to bother and built an ARPG. Diablo, when i was kid was cool, i still believe it is cool (at least from what i have seen from the concept art that D4 has so far) but it really needs to change by ALOT. For me top-down arpgs that you only have 6 active skills are a thing of the past and should only be utilized by small indie companies that don't have the resources to make something more (PoE, Torchlight, Valcun, etc).

Blizzcon's D4 that aired last year was a d3 with goth graphics, same playstyle, same philosophy, same everything, just a reskin of D2. For me Lost Ark and the concept of lineage3 that i have only seen videos of are more engaging games.

I would be happy for everyone that is really invested into Diablo universe to get a game that they are hoping with D4. Who knows Diablo3 might be good for many people atm, at least from what i am reading on reviews and comebacks, etc, but i don't think its playerbase is big and evolving, rather than stagnates and stays on their previous glory.

Anyway, thank you for reading this huge wall of text but i wanted to write something like this for quite some time. As i said above Blizzard is the company that brought all those games and in my eyes D3 really really alienated most of its efforts since then, i have huge respect for the people that have built all these games that made our childhood so fun, but they now need to step it up. From what i have seen with Shadowlands beta so far i am feeling optimistic but again, the road for redemption is long.

Cheers!

Not gonna read a thread which starts with ,, Diablo 3 is a terrible gameˋˋ

However as me and my friends enjoyed it for far over 2k hours each and only paid between 40-70 bucks. I would say it was a good game for the price

I played D3 after the Necro came out. It's a fun game for an hour or two (after you finished the campagin) and then gets stale as soon as you get a full Set, since those are so overpowered, that mixing other, non set items (outside of LoN) is simply not viable at all.
    Also about 60% of all abilities in the game are useless, which is also a result of sets.
    The gear treadmill is addicting, but not for long.

I did not regret buying Diablo 3, but I would not consider it a great game. It's an ok game. On that note, there are other, similar games, which I enjoyed WAY more, for example Sacred 2 (which you probably don't even know ).

I only played Diablo 3 on console, but I really liked it there. The gameplay was fast and satisfying, and it has the advantage of not being always-online like the PC version is. It's nothing like Diablo 2, though, which was disappointing for sure, and I still like D2 more than D3.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Honestly I didn't necesarrily dislike D3. Just quckly lost interest. But ever since the seasons were introduced, I come back for every single one of them, and always have a blast with my friends there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not as much as Diablo 2, no... But I didn't hate Diablo 3, especially not as much as most people did, it was fun and I glad I played it, but it just didn't hook me in as much as the previous did.

Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    Tldr, Diablo 3 is a terrible game that affected Blizzard's overall way of thinking (on how games should be done) and things need to change if they still believe that this franchise can still be profitable played on PC

So long story short.

I bought d3 when it was released, because i was so bored of WoW back then, because it was promised pvp and because i have not played any other Ds before. Me and my guys were were so hyped about this game as everyone else.

We sat down and started playing the game and we were like wtf is this? Back then you simply could not raise the difficulty and it was ridiculous how easy it was. Naturally, everyone dropped the game w/o finishing it, since there was no pvp coming, real money AH and other known and well discussed issues. I have to point out that basically everyone forced themselves to play the game until the eventual drop. Then some changes occurred the difficulty was unlocked, ah cancelled, pvp was still out of the horizon.

I tried it again (unfortunately only me noone else and some other gr8 blizzard funboy friend of mine who plays anything blizzard delivers). I maxed the difficulty in some torment lvls where everything was not melting and i had some challenge but i could at the same time kill them with my shit gear. The game was not enjoyable but it was now playable, i was like yeah i can now at least finish the game and see what was the fuss about all those years since the first time i saw it (but never played it) when i was in elementary school. I eventually finished it, killed the final boss and i was like ok. It was not something memorable but it was not so shit after all.

However, i could not continue playing and raising my paragon levels. i did that for a bit but only for a bit.

Back then i was a huge blizzard fun boy, i was like i am the wrong not liking d3 because the company that made tft, roc, sc and ofc wow can't deliver a shitty game. I tried the game again with a less op class than the witch doctor was, a demon hunter, it was definitely better but still i could not run the same shit all over again, so i eventually dropped the game for good.

Obviously, when the expansion released i did not buy it and noone from my peers did. I always had the itch to buy it especially when the reviews were saying it was good etc but i did not. However, during Christmas it was on sale for only 10 euros and i bought it, but did not install it.

Due to the covid-19 everyone played games more and i was not the exception. I finished many games that were sitting on my steam library or on my actual library and it was the time of the d3 expansion.

I was pumped up to play a new class, the necromancer. I realized that i had to spent an additional amount of 15euros and i was like no ty. I said ok.... I will play paladin and i realized that i had to play the campaign from ACT1 since i have not played anything since 2013. I was like ok i am not doing that either, i will play my demon hunter which i remembered that i actually liked playing with it but i realized that that char too was not max lvl either, so i ended up with my OP witch doctor (i hate OP classes that's why i am being ironic, to make an analogy in wotlk i ditched the dk class after i lvled it because i was seeing how awesomly OP was and i did the same in legion with dh).

I said ok nvm i will max out the difficulty and enjoy the game, but again for some reason the highest difficulty possible was Hard. Obviously, everything melted. In any other case i would have dropped the game but we were on lockdown and i could not go to the gym, go out, etc things that i actually enjoy so i played it until the end.

I finished the game and every other difficulty was unlocked, i was like ok lets start with torment 5, i could not kill anything but it was challenging and fun, i lowered to torment 4. i still could not kill anything but it was getting better, at torment 3 i was ok. I started liking the game, figuring out traits that i need to play, how they interact with each other and so on and so forth. I was like lets change my keybindings now to play more efficiently but for me the game ended around there.

Bitter (not sweet) flavor is on my mouth right now, writing this long message. D3 was the start of a huge downfall for Blizzard that affected all of its games and especially WoW.

Looting many pointless items just for the sake of looting with different stats and different names, multiple difficulties for no apparent reason, you are basically burned until you reach the end of the game and you cba so much to continue after it, pointless classes with so many little things to press (yeah ok i get it is an ARPG), pointless fights with zilion of unnamed creatures that you storm through them without any form of strategy, pointless passive buffs that make you godlike.

It was good that d3 was buried and they proceeded with the production of d4 and not any expansion for the latter. But lets face the truth here, at least from my point of view. Diablo in general if they want it to continue being a PC game it needs to change, for me top-down ARPG are a huge waste of resources and it needs to evolve in something else, if it wants to remain relevant.

Personally, i don't see the reason why a multi billion company as blizzard is nowadays to bother and built an ARPG. Diablo, when i was kid was cool, i still believe it is cool (at least from what i have seen from the concept art that D4 has so far) but it really needs to change by ALOT. For me top-down arpgs that you only have 6 active skills are a thing of the past and should only be utilized by small indie companies that don't have the resources to make something more (PoE, Torchlight, Valcun, etc).

Blizzcon's D4 that aired last year was a d3 with goth graphics, same playstyle, same philosophy, same everything, just a reskin of D2. For me Lost Ark and the concept of lineage3 that i have only seen videos of are more engaging games.

I would be happy for everyone that is really invested into Diablo universe to get a game that they are hoping with D4. Who knows Diablo3 might be good for many people atm, at least from what i am reading on reviews and comebacks, etc, but i don't think its playerbase is big and evolving, rather than stagnates and stays on their previous glory.

Anyway, thank you for reading this huge wall of text but i wanted to write something like this for quite some time. As i said above Blizzard is the company that brought all those games and in my eyes D3 really really alienated most of its efforts since then, i have huge respect for the people that have built all these games that made our childhood so fun, but they now need to step it up. From what i have seen with Shadowlands beta so far i am feeling optimistic but again, the road for redemption is long.

Cheers!
    Long story short,

that was a long story, and it sucked.

Diablo 3 first month before any nerfs was fun. Getting inferno diablo in that first 30 days was actually hard, even if you abused all the bugs that plagued the game, and continued to do after many months.

Anyway, diablo 2 is still a ton better. But Diablo 3 gameplay is the best of any ARPG ever, and its now old...2012, so they got that right.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    - snip -
    Sounds like you're looking for a game that isn't Diablo (3) but you want it to be the game it isn't.

Anyway. Diablo 3 is a great game and has always been, to play. The combat is great, the phase is great and there are fun abilities all over. Sets do destroy much of my fun because, as you said, they bring so, so much power to the character that I really can't play anything else than what the set dictate. If I don't spend a very long time farming but that is also dictated by complementary items which provides an incredable damage increase for some skills. This would be fine if it was true for all skills which isn't the case (it's better but still).

Do mind that the above is only my opinion and it's based only on what I think is fun or want to play
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Honestly? I enjoyed it from the start. I beat it on Inferno and had a tonne of fun trying to do so when it first came out. After RoS came out I would return every few months to play for a bit until I got near BIS gear and lost interest. I will admit that vanilla D3 had a tonne of design flaws, but I still got my money’s worth and I believe the expansion addressed a tonne of them.

I think it’s a way better game now than it was in the past but it does have its issues, primarily the lack of development due to a lack of microtransactions or a sub fee and with D4 looming.

I get the complaints, but I’ve just never found it quite as bad as people make it out to be, at least post RoS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed playing early on right after launch. Then I hated it for a while because of the real-money auction house; that shit just made me not want to play.

Also the 'difficulty' was quite stupid early on, specifically with regard to reflect and jailer. There was nothing difficult about those mechanics, they were just bullshit and there was no counter-play... You'd be strolling along and then poof, you'd one shot yourself from hitting a reflect mob or get one shot by the arcane damage of jailer from several screens away that you can't even see or dodge or anything. It was just dumb.

After they dropped the RMAH and bullshit like those two affixes, I played the game quite regularly and would play regularly after Reaper of Souls launched as well. I haven't played it much in recent years, but I occasionally go back and try it for a few days every once in a while.

D3 was a great game. I liked it a lot from the start. The classes were fun and had fun class abilities. There were some classes that I would change their abilities but I liked just about all of them. I would make the monk more of a martial artist and less magical.
    The only thing I didn't like much about diablo3 was the zones felt too much like an arcade game and not RPG-ish enough.
    The zones in Diablo4 look great but I hate the fact that they only have 3 classes for it.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2020-04-23 at 02:58 PM.

The expansion was a saving grace of the game, and while it's not as good or as enduring as D2, it's still a solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Not gonna read a thread which starts with ,, Diablo 3 is a terrible gameˋˋ

However as me and my friends enjoyed it for far over 2k hours each and only paid between 40-70 bucks. I would say it was a good game for the price
    well its no secret many people have very low expectations and low quality bars,d3 as arpg's go,is preeeeeeety bad,im glad you enjoyed it,but you need to try more stuff,grim dawn,poe,titan quest(from 2006 lol),torchlight 2...are all vastly superior to d3

Ye no, not gonna read that with that start.

I've enjoyed D3, no clue how many hours I've put into it. It's a decent RPG slash and loot game, fun to play a couple of days every season.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Was Diablo 3 a great game? Yes, infact it was one of the best on the market when the expansion hit. Diablo 3 has what a lot of the ARPG don't have, simplicity.

I can go in, go for a few pieces for a set and go to town and smash shit
    In games like POE i have to look up current meta build, how generous they are for starters and the cost to be even semi competitive, then i gotta check level paths, what level certain gems need to be to proc other gems etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Diablo 3 first month before any nerfs was fun. Getting inferno diablo in that first 30 days was actually hard, even if you abused all the bugs that plagued the game, and continued to do after many months.

Anyway, diablo 2 is still a ton better. But Diablo 3 gameplay is the best of any ARPG ever, and its now old...2012, so they got that right.
    If you were a ranged class sure or went the 100 hp mage build for infinite sustain. It was not really fun getting one shotted in act 2 by bees as a melee because the level difficulty from Act 1 > 2 was so grotesquely increased. As a barb you HAD to spend money on the AH to get viable pieces just to get PAST act 2

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    well its no secret many people have very low expectations and low quality bars,d3 as arpg's go,is preeeeeeety bad,im glad you enjoyed it,but you need to try more stuff,grim dawn,poe,titan quest(from 2006 lol),torchlight 2...are all vastly superior to d3
    What D3 does well, is that it is super casual friendly, unless you want to push ladder. You jump in, get your gear and you're good to go. Tired of that specific playstyle? Level up an alt in no time, get the gear and try it out. Or simply change all spells on your main, with no cost.

I love PoE, but it's a timesink. A huge one. Not everyone have the time to commit to such an ARPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Saw you talk about elementary school and I gave up reading there, because it started sounding like you're 12. Yes I liked D3, and I still like D3, however I had not played the 2 previous games, so I had no basis to form any preconceived notions about what it should it shouldn't be like.

I also got it for free with the WoW annual pass. I bought RoS when it was released and enjoyed it as well. I was playing all the new seasons as they came out until my laptop died. I haven't played since because I'm not sure my new one could run it.

Is it a perfect game, no, but Blizzard did a lot to improve it, and I enjoyed it, and probably will again if i get a better laptop. I did also buy it for my PS4 but I rarely play my consoles anymore. I'm more bothered that Blizzard ended up treating it like a red headed stepchild and gave up on it. Another expansion or two would have been nice.
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Phayde; 2020-04-23 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Originally I wasn't very enamored of Diablo 3, and quit playing after about a month. When "Loot 2.0" hit and the RMAH/GMAH got removed I tried it again and found it much improved, since the actual point of the game was no longer being short-circuited by a poorly thought-out auction system. Played for a couple months, but then I got bored after reaching a gear plateau. Came back when the Necromancer was unveiled and played it again for a few months. Diablo 3 is always fun, but it tends to plateau quickly for me. I reach a point where reward no longer equals or exceeds effort and it becomes a boring chore. But I keep coming back to it periodically, playing new classes and trying new things, usually for a month or two at a time.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Initial D3 before the expansion was horrible, after they added added the scaling in and got rid of the AH it got a lot better.