Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I'm not confident at all D4 won't have that, considering how reluctant Blizzard was to make the gear not excessively simple (even simpler than D3!) initially.
    I'm not confident either, but what we've seen so far + that Witcher guy gives me hope that the story will be at least somewhat decent.

Another reason for my hope, not just for the story, is that the D3 team started listening to feedback and learning AFTER D3 came out. With D4 it seems that they are much more open to talking to players, so - fingers crossed - if they continue to communicate and act on feedback they receive up until and especially through public testing, then even if they screw up they might actually fix it before launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, actually. Not as much as Diablo 2 obviously, but it was still fun the levels of hate it gets to this day I do feel is slightly deserved though with how the game just sucked on release but through all that I still did enjoy it.

Its the same shit I went through with Warcraft 3 Reforged, ?I still enjoyed it, despite feeling the hate was deserved. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Vanilla D3 was okayish to finish the campaign.
    A few first seasons of greater rifts were fun but the game did not evovle since then so me and my boys quit.

Waiting for D2 remaster... please be good... please be good...
    I m so afraid. I hope they go more the Starcraft remaster route and NOT the Warcraft Reforged route :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    I'm not confident either, but what we've seen so far + that Witcher guy gives me hope that the story will be at least somewhat decent.

Another reason for my hope, not just for the story, is that the D3 team started listening to feedback and learning AFTER D3 came out. With D4 it seems that they are much more open to talking to players, so - fingers crossed - if they continue to communicate and act on feedback they receive up until and especially through public testing, then they might actually course correct before the game launches.
    Possible to some degree, although major story beats and general feel of the game is absolutely not going to be something that you can change through (public) iteration and feedback. That was decided way before even the trailer came out. We'll just have to hope they learned from D3.

The trailer shows that it's possible they have (so D4 becoming another "violent murders -- for kids!" is unlikely), what we can't tell yet is if the step they've taken was big enough.

I kept going back and forth on it in the beginning. It was just way too much effort to play and get the adequate gear to keep advancing on the higher difficulties, least in my experience. It really did feel like they balanced the scaling to try and force you into the auction house which made me pretty upset. The game really was lucky that anything I was looking forward to at the time was taking a good while to release.

Returned to it like 2 years after the expansion came out and I really liked the changes. Thanks to RoS D3 over all is a good memory. Locking the Necromancer behind a pay wall was pretty obnoxious though.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    Heh. It's nice to see someone say this. Only because D3 was ridiculed for being too "light." It was not nearly as dark as d2 or what D4 is looking to go back to. To the point where the unicorn level was added as an "f" you basically to the "its too whimsical and light" crowd.
    I guess everyone is different It's just inevitable that I was going to quit it because of the theme that surrounds the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Oof. You might wanna try Torchlight, as it's a lighter and simpler version of D3 basically - in the ARPG genre you're very unlikely to find anything else that's lighter than D3.
    Thanks for that recommendation, very kind of you. I will be checking it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Sort of, yes then no.
    pretty much how I felt. I am not big on grinding out gear

Yes I enjoyed it, still do in small doses. The seasons are a great way to scratch that hack and slash itch for a few weeks then move back to another game until the next season.

I thought d3 was really good. Loved the class choices, class abilities, and combat. The only thing I didn't like about it was the world. The world was too much of an arcade game. I would have liked it if the world was more rpg-ish.

For the avg returning diablo player it was an interesting loop-de-loop roller coaster for sure!

Honestly, not that bad 7.5/10

I did at the start, I'm apparently the minority who actually enjoyed Inferno. When D3 first came out it was actually hard, I found myself sitting on the chalk board theory crafting on ways to beat half the bosses on Inferno, Diablo was actually challenging and gear was hard to come by unlike today where legendaries drop off everything.

Elite packs were brutal! fire chains? get out of here. Loved it!

I hate when a game gets nerfed to shit because the majority of players these days are casuals who want things handed to them. Equality shouldn't exist in the gaming world, if you can't do something someone else did, if you can't get something someone else has, too bad. Equality has ruined the online gaming world, everyone has this sense of entitlement where they should have something cause someone else does and if it's too hard for them, they demand it be nerfed so they can get it too. Instead of "I need to get better" it's "This shouldn't be so hard, I should be able to do it at my own skill level"

God bless FFXI private servers, the last MMO that spit in the face of casuals.

I do yea. I still play most seasons, even if it's not for more than a few weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once they removed the RMAH it became super fun.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

D3 got more negativity than it deserved on release. For the price it was a solid buy. I got it for free for just renewing my WoW sub so I definitely cannot hate. I think many D2 players had anticipated it for so long and had D2 with such rose tinted glasses that it made somewhat unrealistic expectations for the game.

I don't actually have hard numbers, but if I had to give a conservative guess, I probably put close to 4 thousand hours into D3, since closed beta.

Closed beta to launch, was more stoked then I had ever been about a game. Played it every chance I could after launch, (After exhausting everything I could do in the closed beta).

By max level, the cracks started to show. Itemization was nowhere to be found, and neither was anything close to an end game. End game consisted of running act 3 azmo chest runs. "legendary" items (why not continue to call them uniques, when they have a unique name, art, and stat set is beyond me?) were not balanced at all. Even if they were found at their exact minimum usage level, they were useless. Quite literally any rare item would replace it immediately. Set items were hot garbage. Without looking it up, I remember Tal Rasha's FULL 6 piece set was something like, 3% fire damage.

Yet I still played, aware of these problems but unaware better games existed. I wasted SO much time checking the official site and Diablofans, hoping for a single breadcrumb from the developers on how they planned on fixing problems / adding to the game. Needless to say I was conditioned from years and years of Blizzard games to expect them to be completely silent and never interact with their players. Everything at this time was glowing white hot with obvious signs of core problems at the center of the pillars of ARPGS.

RoS launched, and the loot 2.0 with it. I was ecstatic; finally uniques would be useful! Little did I know this entire revamp really meant the homogenization of quite literally the core of all hack and slash rgps; the loot. Now you HAVE to wear a full 6p set, and you HAVE to use the skills that set tells you to. You HAVE to wear an item that has your main stat on it. You want customization? Well any item slot that isn't for your set, or the supporting uniques you get to have a choice in! Any leftover skill slots that your set doesn't tell you to use, you get to choose! Endgame was now rifts, which weren't bad but needed tweaking, and greater rifts. Oh jesus, the greater rifts.

Want a surefire way to destroy any last player agency in what skills / items to use? Make the endgame (and the ONLY endgame) timed, and with it leader boards. Remember the math on the amount of setups players could pick? Something like in the billions? Yea sorry we really meant ONE setup per class.

Long story somewhat short; it was fun at launch, because I didn't know better. And most of that fun was 'wow I hope this gets better!'. Then it finally all came to a head;

Start a new season, and within HOURS you're quite literally handed a full 6 piece set, and mats to craft the supporting uniques. What are you even playing for?
    The entire endgame of Diablo 3 is a 15 minute timed run of completely random monsters on random tilesets. Want to play a build you're thinking might be cool and niche? Well you can, but you can't complete the end game rifts, and can't upgrade your legendary gems.
    But that's okay, you can gain INFINITE FRIKKING POWER by just grinding those rifts for +5 main stat, over and over and over. Want to compete on the leader boards but you took 2 days off since launch of the season? Whelp too bad, everyone is running a bot that grinds paragon, and you're so far behind you can never compete now.
    You're not looking for rare, awesome items. You're looking for the items you're ALREADY USING, but with a red border around them.
    Want to try a hipster setup? Too bad, you play with the items we tell you to, and the skills we tell you to.

D3 has an actual worse endgame then D2 did. D3 has a worse itemization then D2 did, and a worse amount of customization of skills / items.

D3 at very launch? Hell, I would have said 9/10. Less then two years in? 5/10. It's been 8 years, and 1 expansion in? 3/10. Play POE instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu42 View Post
    I don't actually have hard numbers, but if I had to give a conservative guess, I probably put close to 4 thousand hours into D3, since closed beta.

Closed beta to launch, was more stoked then I had ever been about a game. Played it every chance I could after launch, (After exhausting everything I could do in the closed beta).

By max level, the cracks started to show. Itemization was nowhere to be found, and neither was anything close to an end game. End game consisted of running act 3 azmo chest runs. "legendary" items (why not continue to call them uniques, when they have a unique name, art, and stat set is beyond me?) were not balanced at all. Even if they were found at their exact minimum usage level, they were useless. Quite literally any rare item would replace it immediately. Set items were hot garbage. Without looking it up, I remember Tal Rasha's FULL 6 piece set was something like, 3% fire damage.

Yet I still played, aware of these problems but unaware better games existed. I wasted SO much time checking the official site and Diablofans, hoping for a single breadcrumb from the developers on how they planned on fixing problems / adding to the game. Needless to say I was conditioned from years and years of Blizzard games to expect them to be completely silent and never interact with their players. Everything at this time was glowing white hot with obvious signs of core problems at the center of the pillars of ARPGS.

RoS launched, and the loot 2.0 with it. I was ecstatic; finally uniques would be useful! Little did I know this entire revamp really meant the homogenization of quite literally the core of all hack and slash rgps; the loot. Now you HAVE to wear a full 6p set, and you HAVE to use the skills that set tells you to. You HAVE to wear an item that has your main stat on it. You want customization? Well any item slot that isn't for your set, or the supporting uniques you get to have a choice in! Any leftover skill slots that your set doesn't tell you to use, you get to choose! Endgame was now rifts, which weren't bad but needed tweaking, and greater rifts. Oh jesus, the greater rifts.

Want a surefire way to destroy any last player agency in what skills / items to use? Make the endgame (and the ONLY endgame) timed, and with it leader boards. Remember the math on the amount of setups players could pick? Something like in the billions? Yea sorry we really meant ONE setup per class.

Long story somewhat short; it was fun at launch, because I didn't know better. And most of that fun was 'wow I hope this gets better!'. Then it finally all came to a head;

Start a new season, and within HOURS you're quite literally handed a full 6 piece set, and mats to craft the supporting uniques. What are you even playing for?
    The entire endgame of Diablo 3 is a 15 minute timed run of completely random monsters on random tilesets. Want to play a build you're thinking might be cool and niche? Well you can, but you can't complete the end game rifts, and can't upgrade your legendary gems.
    But that's okay, you can gain INFINITE FRIKKING POWER by just grinding those rifts for +5 main stat, over and over and over. Want to compete on the leader boards but you took 2 days off since launch of the season? Whelp too bad, everyone is running a bot that grinds paragon, and you're so far behind you can never compete now.
    You're not looking for rare, awesome items. You're looking for the items you're ALREADY USING, but with a red border around them.
    Want to try a hipster setup? Too bad, you play with the items we tell you to, and the skills we tell you to.

D3 has an actual worse endgame then D2 did. D3 has a worse itemization then D2 did, and a worse amount of customization of skills / items.

D3 at very launch? Hell, I would have said 9/10. Less then two years in? 5/10. It's been 8 years, and 1 expansion in? 3/10. Play POE instead.
    Great write up.

I would also add the lag factor which is quite laughable. When you have people skipping stats and skills like bleeds because it caused too much server lag when played at the highest level and the game cant handle processing all the damaging abilities.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy it, but I only play it for periods, then stop.

Crusader, Barbarian, Wizard. <3

I like diablo 3 when Inferno difficulty was a thing. Now it's all balanced out and gears dropping like candies. Oh well

It started off gerat, felt super polished, played really smooth and was genuinely fun, however it did not take very long before absolute shallowness of the game showed itself. The game became both boring and a chore. Expansion did well in fixing some issues, and made it fun again for a while, but it ended up feeling shallow and empty again very quickly. The End game and the "Seasonal events" are lackluster to put it mildly, unlike a game like Path of Exile, who builds entirely new systems and gameplay loops each season every 3 months, and yes... They have failed a couple of times with lackluster and broken systems... But they're actually putting effort and attempts in... Which I can't say for Blizzard, whose idea of a seasonal event is stuff like... Double bloodshards, more shrines or Ring of Royal Grandeur.

I wanted to like Diablo 3. Diablo 2 was the first real game I played growing up, it was what introduced me to gaming beyond, you know... "Kids games." It was gritty, it was scary (I was way too young.) and gory as hell, but it was fun, exciting and most of all challenged me. Diablo 3 is way too clean, it's way too silly, and it's way too easy, both in gameplay and "builds."

5+ Year Old Account
    I played diablo for a good amount of time after they fixed all the issues it had. Fun times.

I leveled up 2 of each class.

To be honest I stopped playing cause I got annoyed of not having enough bag space for all the gear I had.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still love it. Still the best ARPG around.