Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it, until I learned how to play PoE.

Yeah for a bit, then RMAH and the absurdly over-tuned inferno difficulty killed it for me. Reaper of Souls was really good at first too. Got over it and picked it up again when they introduced rifts which got boring really quick

The biggest issue for me was the tying of power so heavily in sets and gear made the game get boring really quick. D2 has almost endless replayability because the character progression has great depth. D3 is a very shallow game. Great fun in small doses but ultimately boring

I didn't before they removed RMAH and rebalanced a lot of things.

Now it gets kind of stale fast but hey I get couple a dozen hours of fun every season so its alright, I think I have grand total of 500-600 hours played, which is still more than most games in my steam library so there is that.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2020-08-10 at 11:32 PM.

I played it far too much to say no. I enjoyed my Wizard, Demon Hunter and Barbarian a lot. It needed Reaper of Souls and its adventure mode to truly become a good game, however. After a while I got tired of Grifts and the ever increasing power creep, but I definitely got my money's worth and then some.

My biggest gripe was probably the sheer, ridiculous amount of power in set bonuses. 1000% increased damage to specific skills wasn't that uncommon, and basically forced you to build everything around those absurd bonuses if you wanted to be the least bit competitive. That's kind of the point where I had enough, I think.

EDIT: I'll maintain that the core gameplay is more enjoyable than in any ARPG that I ever played. Yeah, the itemization and customization left a lot to be desired, but holy shit it felt good to actually play, unlike PoE which has those aspects covered and then some perhaps but plays like absolute dogshit apart from certain builds. If D4 has such good gameplay and improves on the rest I'll definitely give it a good bash.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2020-08-10 at 11:38 PM.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    D3 got more negativity than it deserved on release. For the price it was a solid buy. I got it for free for just renewing my WoW sub so I definitely cannot hate. I think many D2 players had anticipated it for so long and had D2 with such rose tinted glasses that it made somewhat unrealistic expectations for the game.
    Former D2 player here (circa 2001-2004, patches 1.09/1.10), can confirm that D3 never stacked up to my expectations. It was (and still is) missing something IMO.

I will still go back and play D2 when new seasons come out though. D2 is still fun today.

Honestly, I don't know if I will buy D4. After Blizzard's recent track record of releases they don't inspire the most confidence in me anymore. They seem to be consistently missing the high bar for quality they once were esteemed for.
    Last edited by Frosteye; 2020-08-10 at 11:47 PM.

Excluding the terrible launch filled with bugs, I enjoyed the fuck out of it for about a month. Then it got boring AF and didn’t promise half of what was promised

No.
    It was limited from the start without the previous game's complete roster, it went down hill from there with the changes needed for the RMAH ruining the gameplay to this day.
    RoS was a good effort to fix the game, but it's still lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    The new game doesn't look spectacular now and especially not in 2 years when it's going to be out
    I was pointing out their games are generally lower visual quality.
    I understand, I just don't see a point to spending resources on D3 that are better spent on D4.

Yes until they introduced legendary gems. Then I stopped playing.

D3 is good for like 2-3 weeks after new season release and that's it

It never felt like a Diablo game. Their biggest mistake, was using the colourpalette and character style of WoW. It's just so out of place. D3 have many creepy and dark areas, but they all feel so cartoony and non-threatening because of the artstyle. PoE and Grim Dawn, while having backgrounds that look less creepy in a vacuum, look A LOT darker and more terrifying, simply because of the more fitting artstyles of those games.

Playing PoE feels like playing a modern D2. D3 does not.

As far as gameplay goes, RoS was good on launch, and the ladder resets were good as long as they kept doing minor changes and additions to the game. Kept it running for a few years.

It's like any game of its genre, you can come back and play hardcore for a a week or three every ladder reset. The process of gearing up and getting your initial gear is always fun, but it gets boring once getting upgrades to your gear becomes hard, and you need to put in massive effort to progress further.

Quote Originally Posted by Druitz View Post
    D3 is good for like 2-3 weeks after new season release and that's it

That's the case for any ARPG though. Sure, I love PoE aswell, and it's objectively a better game than D3, but I have never managed to play it for longer than a month after a ladder reset, before getting bored. That's the point of a ladder reset, to make you come back, do the whole gearing process over again, and quit once the rush wears off.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2020-08-22 at 03:02 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

D3 is not a bad game. It's a game with very smooth and satisfying combat, great cinematics and art, it runs great, the interface is great and the multiplayer experience is generally without issue. However, all that's not enough to make it a the successor to D2 and LoD that people wanted. Those elements are the baseline of expectations for a Blizzard game, and people want more. In a world where PoE is tremendously successful people will expect a new Diablo game to have all those pluses I named, but it also needs to be truly deep and engaging in terms of character progression and itemization.

Right now I think Diablo 4 has not shown that. You cannot show up with a skill tree offering about 20 choices and a bunch of items with +Crit +Critical damage and +Angelic Power or +Demonic power in 2021 or whenever D4 is coming out. Blizzard has to be brave and really go outside their comfort zone with customization of items, abilities and spell effects and overall complexity. That's not saying they need to go as far as PoE but it really should be at about 70% of that, while currently it seems about 5-10%.

That is where D3 also failed, it became a simpler game with less depth and worse itemization than D2 despite existing in a world where information sources are abundant. You NEED to create a much more complex game now because if you don't some people will figure out your game entirely in about a month, share that information online and before you know it your entire community will be done with the game because there's nothing left to discover or improve upon.

It's a good game, not great or terrible.
    Good

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    D3 is not a bad game. It's a game with very smooth and satisfying combat, great cinematics and art, it runs great, the interface is great and the multiplayer experience is generally without issue.
    The artstyle of D3 was its worst mistake. Using the colourpalette and character style of WoW.

Take the bottom level of the Lunaris Temple from PoE, with the pools of blood, body parts all over the floor and the constant tortured screams in the distance. D3 Has multiple areas that show the same kind of imagery. Things that should make you feel the same sense of dread as the Lunaris Temple. But instead, all of these places in D3 just feel cartoonish in comparison, and it's all because of the artstyle.

Thankfully, D4 is going back to an artstyle that looks more like D2 and PoE.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I really enjoyed Diablo 3 on release, it felt good being able to mess around with builds and try different ways of playing. My biggest problem was how easy it got and after completing it on normal I just stopped as it was mind-numbing. The introduction of Monster Power made a big difference as I could boost the difficulty to keep it interesting. That's when I played through to finish Inferno difficulty and it felt like a "proper" ARPG where you would grind for gear and experiment with builds to get that little bit of extra progress.

I'm still on the fence about loot 2.0 introduced for Reaper of Souls. On the one hand it is nice that you can easily get the a named set or decent legendaries to play around with but being showered with uber loot all the time lessens the impact of a good drop and too often you get pigeon-holed into a basic play-style as your loot massively boosts just a few abilities. Overall I think I preferred the older style where you would find your own build but the core gameplay is still excellent so it's still worth booting up every now and then for a week or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played D3 after RoS came out. Had a lot of fun playing it. I probably played it as much as i played D2 which is quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'm still on the fence about loot 2.0 introduced for Reaper of Souls. On the one hand it is nice that you can easily get the a named set or decent legendaries to play around with but being showered with uber loot all the time lessens the impact of a good drop and too often you get pigeon-holed into a basic play-style as your loot massively boosts just a few abilities. Overall I think I preferred the older style where you would find your own build but the core gameplay is still excellent so it's still worth booting up every now and then for a week or so.
    It was fine during the first seasons since the pace was nowhere near this. Also worth pointing out, Madureira left Blizzard basically just after RoS launched (we know that D3 was basically axed after RoS for whatever reason and expansion 2 was canned, we got necro out of what was done already).

I think the idea was to expand on items and stuff after RoS since they had put a new starting point for the experience, but then again the project was cut abruptly, most of D3 team was moved onto WoW:Legion since the game after WoD was in a terrible state and we get a rinse/repeat cycle of seasons that were always the same thing over and over - hell they didn't even bother to add more unlockable cosmetic sets.

RoS shoved that there was potential in saving D3 (since as you said combat/gameplay is just so good). Unfortunately everything was killed before even trying.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I really enjoyed Diablo 3 on release, it felt good being able to mess around with builds and try different ways of playing. My biggest problem was how easy it got and after completing it on normal I just stopped as it was mind-numbing. The introduction of Monster Power made a big difference as I could boost the difficulty to keep it interesting. That's when I played through to finish Inferno difficulty and it felt like a "proper" ARPG where you would grind for gear and experiment with builds to get that little bit of extra progress.

Inferno at release were brutal as I remember and I enjoyed it. people complained about how hard Inferno was and then it got nerfed heavily.
    Do I misremember it that badly? I remember weaving through the slow stinger shots in act 2 because they one shot you or 2 shot so you had to really take your environment into consideration for them.

after this change is when Diablo 3 sort of lost a big chunk of it's sale pitch. At release and any gameplay reveal + talks before release they emphasized how you needed to take take enemy units different strengths and weaknesses into consideration all of that disappeared after the nerf except for a few things.

Then it took awhile before we got the infinite difficulty progression so we got some of it back but not really.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-08-25 at 10:55 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

This game is amazing for about a month or two.

For me D2 is a far superior game. They messed that up also by adding the size 2 charm, to be possible to solo that is hard. And size 1 charm should have been random not based on SoJ.

Improved from D2: Personal loot on ground. (ofcause everything that have to do with a newer game).

Worse the D2:
    Timed events
    Gear have tiers and stats change.
    The differance between soloplaying and in group is to big, I like to soloplay but on D3 you feel that your really stupid and wasting your time if you do.

Watched a doc from a developer of D1. He said the addictive part is that every time you kill a monster its like pulling a slot machine, something really nice might come.
    My opinion: The reason D3 is less addictive is that you pull but when you see that loot you dont go yes!!! right away you have to run to town, then read and calculate is this actually a good version of this item or not. Its like going to Vegas and pulling slots for 30 minutes then a guy comes and tell if you have won anything.