The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

8.3: Velen's Staff Crystals are... missing?

Anyone know if this is a bug or why the crystals are missing? I've always liked that staff and miss the crystals and glowing stuff from TBC, so this was pretty stark and noticed it right away. I'd think if it was a lore reason it would be pretty obvious in the story... but can't even find anything on Google.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

He used his staff crystal in 7.3 (Argus patch in Legion) to power up the Vindicaar, which is the spaceship we used to travel to Argus.

5+ Year Old Account
    He used his staff crystals as the final key to 'awaken' the Vindicaar in Legion during the Argus Campaign.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

He's just having them polished, they'll be sparkling as new when he gets them back. You know what would be a serious offense? Removing them from the one we can transmog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    He used his staff crystal in 7.3 (Argus patch in Legion) to power up the Vindicaar, which is the spaceship we used to travel to Argus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    He used his staff crystals as the final key to 'awaken' the Vindicaar in Legion during the Argus Campaign.
    Ohhh. They never really made it clear they were from the staff, so I didn't recognize that. Makes sense now!

Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    He's just having them polished, they'll be sparkling as new when he gets them back. You know what would be a serious offense? Removing them from the one we can transmog.
    Oh boy, don't give them any ideas!
    "A flower.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ohhh. They never really made it clear they were from the staff, so I didn't recognize that. Makes sense now!

Oh boy, don't give them any ideas!
    Other than the fact that he specifically says so at the end of the questline, and actually removes it from the staff - again stating it.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Other than the fact that he specifically says so at the end of the questline, and actually removes it from the staff - again stating it.
    Wait, what? I've done that quest a couple times so unless I forgot...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Wait, what? I've done that quest a couple times so unless I forgot...
    As I recall, it's not explicit per se, but heavily implied when the other three parts of the Crown of the Triumvirate are acquired. Velen has had the Eye of Prophecy (the pink-hued bottom portion of the assembled Crown) in his staff since their exodus from Argus 30,000+ years ago. When you recover Crest of Knowledge and the Sigil of Awakening, Velen removes the Eye from his staff and the reassembled Crown of the Triumvirate is slotted into the core of the Vindicaar to empower it enough to blast a hole into Antorus (as well as turning it from purple to an infused gold).

This is the fully assembled Crown, and you can see Velen's staff's gem (the Eye of Prophecy) in its lower portion:

"We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Its actually seen in an in-game sequence where Velen removes the Eye of Prophecy from his staff and combines it with the other triumvirate crystals which in turn upgrades Vindicaar to have a golden hull.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7UpXRAJl_s

30-35 seconds in video timeline.

Wow, I never even noticed that part of the animation. I just figured he pulled it out of his ass like NPCs always do, but that it's part of the staff has neven even occured to me (especially since it's a rather generic looking staff)
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
    Its actually seen in an in-game sequence where Velen removes the Eye of Prophecy from his staff and combines it with the other triumvirate crystals which in turn upgrades Vindicaar to have a golden hull.

It's easy to miss if you're not paying attention to Velen's staff, though. Like a lot of cut-scenes, it looks like he's just walking up to the Crown and making gesture to reassemble it with magic. There's no scene of him explicitly removing the Eye from his staff and fitting it in - it's present on the staff one moment and then gone the next. My first playthrough of this scene I didn't notice the crystal was gone until I saw it a bit later and asked "hey, where did Velen's old staff go?"

It's a nice touch that the lack of the Eye on his staff is carried through, too. I wonder if that was the actual source of his prophetic abilities, too; and that now with the Eye of Prophecy on the Vindicaar Velen is no longer really a prophet.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    As I recall, it's not explicit per se, but heavily implied when the other three parts of the Crown of the Triumvirate are acquired. Velen has had the Eye of Prophecy (the pink-hued bottom portion of the assembled Crown) in his staff since their exodus from Argus 30,000+ years ago. When you recover Crest of Knowledge and the Sigil of Awakening, Velen removes the Eye from his staff and the reassembled Crown of the Triumvirate is slotted into the core of the Vindicaar to empower it enough to blast a hole into Antorus (as well as turning it from purple to an infused gold).

This is the fully assembled Crown, and you can see Velen's staff's gem (the Eye of Prophecy) in its lower portion:

Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post

Jeez, that went quick. Yeah, definitely didn't notice it the first time! I remember watching the cinematic, I remember him walking to put the crystal in, but didn't see it pop out of his staff lol dang

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Wow, I never even noticed that part of the animation. I just figured he pulled it out of his ass like NPCs always do, but that it's part of the staff has neven even occured to me (especially since it's a rather generic looking staff)
    lol for real!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    BfA launched so he replaced his old epic staff with a green Gnarled Stick of Aurora that some lizard in Nazmir dropped.

lol for real!
    I think that little detail is especially surprising considering how awful the event representation was in 8.3. Just did the cloak quest on an alt and when you encounter the mogu in kun lai the guy dies despite not even participating in the ambush and then magni remarks his death before he actually dies. It's like day and night..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Velen is a dumbass - every mage tower tank will confirm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think that little detail is especially surprising considering how awful the event representation was in 8.3. Just did the cloak quest on an alt and when you encounter the mogu in kun lai the guy dies despite not even participating in the ambush and then magni remarks his death before he actually dies. It's like day and night..
    Absolutely.
    I honestly think the Mogu gets shot from a distance by the Mantid and/or the whole thing is bugged. I've noticed quite a few encounters throughout the game just being timed a bit off and things just aren't all working correctly.
    Had a 120 mob follow my 116 (now 120) protadin halfway across Voldun.
    No joke, HALFWAY ACROSS THE ZONE not leaving me alone after a bit. I ended up dying because it wouldn't go away.
    Then half an hour later my friend could not get out of combat in Nazmir no matter how far she ran... >_<
    "A flower.