Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    I mean, you must have played a different WoW from me too if you think that. The actual characters in story(not rando NPCs) 100% consistently treat Illidan like shit. Even when he turned out to be right, they treat him like shit. The only people that even tolerate Illidan are outside the story.
    Again, you're not reading what I'm saying. Yes, the NPCs treat him poorly, but the plot itself consistently portrayed Illidan as having been in the right in Legion. Cinematic framing, NPC chatter after his sacrifice, even the musical score, all point to the plot itself supporting his point of view and behavior. I cover this in more detail below, after your amazing demonstration of poor reading comprehension.

Xe'ra tried to rape him with the light. He was 100% justified in fighting back. Nothing you can say or imagine will change my opinion on that. It's that simple.
    Please, for the love of all the stars in the sky, don't put words in my mouth. I explicitly drew comparisons between the two. My exact words were, I quote, "There's no difference between what Xe'ra tried to do to him and what he did to countless others except that he made sure to bully people who couldn't fight back." Again, do you think consent was involved when Illidan stole Akama's soul? I never said he was unjustified in fighting Xe'ra off. I said his reasons for doing so were completely selfish, as his motivations have always been, and you came up with some extrapolation therein where his self-centered motives were actually a turning point to show how much he'd learned... when nothing he says or does on Argus suggests anything of the sort. He still merrily throws people to the wolves and snidely needles at those around him for being blind sheeple, because "fuck destiny." Alleria and Turalyon, who've been actually fighting the Legion rather than spend a half-decade hiding away on Outland playing slavemaster? Mere simpletons. Velen? Wise Velen who's kept the draenei from extinction through multiple genocide attempts? Three snide conversations with Illidan and suddenly he's learned more than he ever did in ten thousand years, apparently. In all these situations, the characters find themselves at a loss for words from Illidan's cunning commentary, rather than telling him off for being the sniveling ponce he's always been.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    He also kills the mages under his command and takes there power
    That was before Illidan had a taste of enslavement himself. His forces at the Black Temple are with him willingly. Even the Broken, as we see in the DH starting zone.

and burns though goat souls even though they were working for him.
    Reading your previous post, I'm assuming you mean the Black Temple? The Black Temple wasn't Illidan's doing. The temple of Karabor was already under the Burning Legion's domain before Illidan even arrived in Outland. He, Kael'Thas, Lady Vashj and Akama fought and liberated the temple for themselves.

You can see it in the Black Temple patch trailer.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-04-27 at 03:36 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    That was before Illidan had a taste of enslavement himself. His forces at the Black Temple are with him willingly. Even the Broken, as we see in the DH starting zone.

Reading your previous post, I'm assuming you mean the Black Temple? The Black Temple wasn't Illidan's doing. The temple of Karabor was already under the Burning Legion's domain before Illidan even arrived in Outland. He, Kael'Thas, Lady Vashj and Akama fought and liberated the temple for themselves.
    I’m not talking about the black temple go read the illidan book he kills and consumes broken souls to power his portal to the dread lord home world after telling them he was only going to use orc(and I think demon) souls as well other betrayals through out the book including enslaving orcs and goats.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-04-27 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Basically, this. Also, because "EYE YAM MUH SKARZ" and discount high-school nihilism. Every time Illidan blathers on about sacrifice, I feel the urge to point out throwing other people to the wolves so you can amass unimaginable power for yourself doesn't count, even if you feel really bad about it once the corpses are done smoldering.
    It was most certainly cringe-filled. AYE UM MAH SKAWRZ!!! !AH!!! ! AHH!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    Because the Light being forced upon people, as demonstrated in the Mag'har recruitment quests, is not a good thing.

The path of the exalted can be paved with blood and fire as much as the path of darkness can. And the Naaru border on malevolent at times, I feel... What if Velen had stood and fought for Argus instead of listening to the magic wind chimes and fleeing? Illidan realized what Velen, for all his wisdom, was too blinded to see- that his destiny was his own and that he didn't need X'era's gift to fight the Legion, especially with the manner in which it was granted to him.
    If you read I think it was Rise of the Horde you see this pretty clearly. He was immediately screwed. He couldn't have stayed to fight because Sargeras's corruption had spread way too fast. Before he even knew it they were all man'ari, and he just didn't see it because they were hiding it from him if I recall. He'd have certainly died if he tried to fight. He was always the weak one among Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    It was most certainly cringe-filled. AYE UM MAH SKAWRZ!!! !AH!!! ! AHH!!!
    Man what did you expect? It's a small cutscene in an MMORPG. I thought it was done fine. It made the point. It isn't all about being "edgy". I think you guys assume there's far more "edgelord kids" playing than there actually are. Maybe in 2005 there was, not so much in 2020 or.. 2016 for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Again, you're not reading what I'm saying. Yes, the NPCs treat him poorly, but the plot itself consistently portrayed Illidan as having been in the right in Legion. Cinematic framing, NPC chatter after his sacrifice, even the musical score, all point to the plot itself supporting his point of view and behavior. I cover this in more detail below, after your amazing demonstration of poor reading comprehension.

Please, for the love of all the stars in the sky, don't put words in my mouth. I explicitly drew comparisons between the two. My exact words were, I quote, "There's no difference between what Xe'ra tried to do to him and what he did to countless others except that he made sure to bully people who couldn't fight back." Again, do you think consent was involved when Illidan stole Akama's soul? I never said he was unjustified in fighting Xe'ra off. I said his reasons for doing so were completely selfish, as his motivations have always been, and you came up with some extrapolation therein where his self-centered motives were actually a turning point to show how much he'd learned... when nothing he says or does on Argus suggests anything of the sort. He still merrily throws people to the wolves and snidely needles at those around him for being blind sheeple, because "fuck destiny." Alleria and Turalyon, who've been actually fighting the Legion rather than spend a half-decade hiding away on Outland playing slavemaster? Mere simpletons. Velen? Wise Velen who's kept the draenei from extinction through multiple genocide attempts? Three snide conversations with Illidan and suddenly he's learned more than he ever did in ten thousand years, apparently. In all these situations, the characters find themselves at a loss for words from Illidan's cunning commentary, rather than telling him off for being the sniveling ponce he's always been.
    You know, if you're going to insult me by saying I have poor reading comprehension and then immediately display stunningly poor reading comprehension, it makes it difficult to care enough to consider your opinion.

I put no words in your mouth. I drew a line. I said you're not going to convince me Illidan killing Xe'ra was wrong. I told you my interpretation of the events and you tried to tell me how it was wrong.

You misused the word hypocrisy as well. No one wants to be enslaved. Illidan never said he would allow himself to be enslaved in his slaves' positions, so the hypocrisy argument completely fails there. Hypocrisy is when you say to do one thing and do something different. Not when you do something different on opposite sides of the same situation.

"As his actions have always been" it seems like you're so intent on continuing to punish Illidan for past crimes you're still going after him after he was given the death penalty. Do you know how insane that sounds to me? I was willing to give Illidan a second chance, and while I might not like his demeanor, and he's certainly not the type of person I would ever want to work with, he still sacrificed himself to detain the main villain of the entire series. The only thing he actually does that could be considered selfish besides not allowing himself to be enslaved, which has already been discussed at length, is showing up to the second battle of the broken shore late. Every other time after his resurrection is working to defeat the legion first.

I reserve judgement on his actual character until he resurfaces. I was simply providing the counterpoint since yours was so one sided. To me he is a total question mark, and that may be intentional. I still think, "I am my scars." is just words of defiance at what he saw as an attempt by Xe'ra to destroy everything he was and make him something new. To he it was him saying, "I am who I am, and I'm going to stay who I am." You have to look at a character's words from their point of view. In the moment, it had nothing to do with him thinking he was something greater. It was about staying himself. A display of his resolution to not allow himself to be tempered.(Are primal tempering and lightforging are the same thing in different universes?)

You ultimately seem to see what you wanted to see instead of attempting to look at it objectively. Admittedly, I do not have the bias incurred from playing Warcraft 3, so maybe that's why I'm not so zealously against him, but I do not see many of the things you talk about in the Legion Illidan outside talking trash, but it's our actions and intentions, not our words, that define us. Once again, he was killed for his actions in Warcraft 3 and Burning Crusade. Is it unthinkable to you that being dead might have changed him? I don't know if it changed him or not, but you don't either. No one does. There's no hard evidence to tip the scales either way, but detaining the biggest villain in WoW(at the time at the very least) outweighs a few dickish words to people that he knew already hated him and would never forgive him, and him being late to a battle.
    Last edited by Shaetha; 2020-04-27 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioliar View Post
    People keep arguing about non-issues when this guy here pointed the problem spot-on. The writing been so bad, they change Naaru's purpose with every expansion.

Oh noes, without Naaru we gonna fall! Oh noes, the Naaru are going extinct! Oh noes, the Naaru are now dead and all turned into... Void, Voider... things... Oh noes the Naaru are now mind controlling people! (never before till MUH SCARS tho) Oh NOES! *again* Naaru were space *azi all along!!

I can't wait to see what they come up with in Shadowlands, no doubt at some point they will remember that Naaru is still a thing and introduce them as main villains in some obscure 9.2.5.1/2 patch as a world boss that patrols an entrance to the next raid or such.
    Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't care much about story consistency, which is one of the things people most care about (i personally do).

For me it is the main reason why the story of wow has gone so bad, because they seem to focus on the current patch's needs and the gameplay decisions they took for that patch, and in the next patch they will decide if they keep with the original plan or not (and the "not" seems to be the recurrent decision). At the end Wow Lore became a big Frankenstein, instead of an organized and fluid storyline.

She touched him in his no no place, and he didn't like that.

Looks like Illidan will have to deal with another Xe'ra as well if the Lightbound ever find a way into MU Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    People bitch about stuff in WoW. OOooOooOOoooOooo, tell me it isn't so
    Noooooooooooooooo it cant be. Liar! LIAR!
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't care much about story consistency, which is one of the things people most care about (i personally do).

For me it is the main reason why the story of wow has gone so bad, because they seem to focus on the current patch's needs and the gameplay decisions they took for that patch, and in the next patch they will decide if they keep with the original plan or not (and the "not" seems to be the recurrent decision). At the end Wow Lore became a big Frankenstein, instead of an organized and fluid storyline.
    Aye, a friend convinced me to play some ff14 and it has a much more consistent and better story. If only current WoW team would take a note that you do not necessarily disregard older content simply because a new one popped up, and that includes story flow, we'd have less problems with content drought alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Looks like Illidan will have to deal with another Xe'ra as well if the Lightbound ever find a way into MU Azeroth.
    isn't he freacking trapped in the pantheon ?

And considering how easily he dispatched of xe'ra ,dealing with another won't be much trouble for him.

5+ Year Old Account
    She will return in a Light V/S Void expansion

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    She touched him in his no no place, and he didn't like that.
    Only Tyrande can touch him there
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    They've done a lot of telling people to do things. How many things have they actually done?

- - - Updated - - -

Balance of forces is real life. It's not some RPG cliche.

Also, we get it, you like to root for villains.
    Just what I'm looking for in an RPG: real life. In any case, they aren't mutually exclusive; something can reflect some aspect of real life and be a story-telling cliche. Also not sure why you think I root for villains just because I find that a tired story-telling element.

We get it, you can't handle someone having different tastes and interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    Just what I'm looking for in an RPG: real life. In any case, they aren't mutually exclusive; something can reflect some aspect of real life and be a story-telling cliche. Also not sure why you think I root for villains just because I find that a tired story-telling element.

We get it, you can't handle someone having different tastes and interests.
    The only thing that provably changed about Illidan in Legion is that he's no longer a villain. What other conclusion is there?

If there is an expansion where we go back to AU Draenor and fight the Lightbound, Xe'ra would make an excellent final boss. The power behind Yrel.

This assumes that Naaru have counterparts in alternate realities.

Illidan still couldn't get over the fact that Arthas beat him 1 on 1 when he had the clear advantage at the start of the fight. Losing a fight you were nearly guaranteed to win must have strung pretty badly. That mental scar showed when Xe'ra was dominating him and he could feel history repeating itself, so he opted for more desperate measures.

Both are pretty bad.

Illidan did horrible things, sacrificed others for the greater "good" and was all for slavery. But he will not have the same done to him(and this is lost on Blizzard)

Xe'ra lied about illidan's backstory to make him sound more righteous than what was actually true. Even in her retelling of 10000 years ago, she messes up and has Broxigar praise Illidan. She's telling us that in TBC, we were mistaken, but everything is still there...Illidan was quite evil during that expansion, he was also evil in Frozen Throne, he's the reason that the Night Elves have no towns in Azshara anymore...

Xe'ra's obviously gonna be made to be a kinda evil character, but they're are completely trying to retcon Illidan and it's a little ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    Because the Light being forced upon people, as demonstrated in the Mag'har recruitment quests, is not a good thing.

The path of the exalted can be paved with blood and fire as much as the path of darkness can. And the Naaru border on malevolent at times, I feel... What if Velen had stood and fought for Argus instead of listening to the magic wind chimes and fleeing? Illidan realized what Velen, for all his wisdom, was too blinded to see- that his destiny was his own and that he didn't need X'era's gift to fight the Legion, especially with the manner in which it was granted to him.
    How would have Velen fought the legion?? Most of them had taken Sargeras' offer and they were being hunted down already enacting various genocides at the time. The force that did fight them under hatuun werr massacred. Honestly if it wasnt foe the Naaru Velen wouldve died there