Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    The main reason to use an AIO is space limitations or looks.

    If you dont like the look of a big tower cooler, then an AIO can do instead, or, if you're in a case like my rig, there's just no room for a traditional air cooler.

    Otherwise, i'd stick with something like a Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro. They cool just as well, are cheaper, and have less points of failure.

  2. #22
    From the different reviews I've watched and read about the 360mm AIOs out there it really does just come down to esthetic since the margin of error is so small with performance. I've never been concerned with noise since I use headphones and tend to have a fan on anyway.

    At this point I'm just trying to find the right combination of AIO, Case/fans and RAM. All the RGB options out there are interesting but I still want the case to manage airflow well.

  3. #23
    Spent the last 2 days looking at different case reviews and I feel like I am no closer to when I started trying to find a case with good air flow that works well with an AIO 360mm and still allows for the bells and whistles of RGB fans in the front to help showcase the build. Is there any sorta universally respected case out there that can do all 3 and happens to still be in stock? I think the worst thing about trying to get any parts or case right now is that everything seems to be in shortage due to the time we live in

  4. #24
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Sury View Post
    Spent the last 2 days looking at different case reviews and I feel like I am no closer to when I started trying to find a case with good air flow that works well with an AIO 360mm and still allows for the bells and whistles of RGB fans in the front to help showcase the build. Is there any sorta universally respected case out there that can do all 3 and happens to still be in stock? I think the worst thing about trying to get any parts or case right now is that everything seems to be in shortage due to the time we live in
    Lian-li PC o11 dynamic. You can't technically have them in the front since that's glass, but it's still very visible.
    It's just like 200 dollars at the moment.

    If you're fine with a non-standard looking case, the Thermaltake core P3/5/7 are also very nice (Literally just a test bench with a sheet of glass on top) and then scaling up from reasonable to "get a new desk" sizes

  5. #25
    What are your thoughts about Ultra wide monitor ? ( 1440p / 144 hz )

    I personally use both , i prefer Ultra wide monitor for gaming because of FOV and immersion & Cyberpunk will surely support it .

  6. #26
    This is kinda where I am right now.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zg7R8M

    Parts ordered so far are Case, CPU, PSU and M.2s. A lot of things are out of stock right now and I am still in the air on what AOI I want to use as well and case fans. HDD is just the cheapest biggest one available right now. Not sure it is actually appropriate for a Steam drive for misc games not put on the M.2s.

  7. #27
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Sury View Post
    This is kinda where I am right now.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zg7R8M

    Parts ordered so far are Case, CPU, PSU and M.2s. A lot of things are out of stock right now and I am still in the air on what AOI I want to use as well and case fans. HDD is just the cheapest biggest one available right now. Not sure it is actually appropriate for a Steam drive for misc games not put on the M.2s.
    For AiO I'd suggest something from EVGA or the Arctic Liquid Freezer II
    For fans, I'd suggest Noctua or be quiet!. If you want to slap RGB on them, get some Phanteks Halos lux as well.
    For the HDD, uh.. 14tb is A LOT. Like, way more than you need just for steam unless you plan on keeping every game in your library installed all the time. If you don't do video editing (or run the Plex server for your family) I'd just drop the HDD and stick with just the SSDs, they will be more than enough.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sury View Post
    This is kinda where I am right now.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zg7R8M

    Parts ordered so far are Case, CPU, PSU and M.2s. A lot of things are out of stock right now and I am still in the air on what AOI I want to use as well and case fans. HDD is just the cheapest biggest one available right now. Not sure it is actually appropriate for a Steam drive for misc games not put on the M.2s.
    One the things to say here is that although AMD has gotten a lot of praise recently for the Ryzen CPUs Intel still remains top dog for just pure gaming: Don't get me wrong the Ryzen 9 should do the job just fine but an I7-9700k will have better pure gaming performance and it's actually cheaper then the Ryzen 9 from what I've seen, though when you factor in motherboard prices it might not matter.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2020-05-22 at 05:57 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    though when you factor in motherboard prices it might not matter.
    1. You get a 3700x + B450 mainboard for the price of a single 10700k, a comparison against the 3900x is just silly, the differency outside of gaming is ridiculously shifted for AMD
    (lets ignore for Intels sake that you NEED a 100-150 EUR cooler even without OC just avoid throttling)

    2. In every-day-tasks like encryption even the 10700k is competing with CPUs like the AMD 3300x (1/4 of the price of the Intel CPU), so there is that huge gap outside of gaming

    3. Gaming advantage is in single digits between AMD and Intel CPU's while everything else is up to 40% in AMDs favour
    (lets ignore the Intel Mainboard pricing (+100 EUR), the Intel Cooling requirement (~120-150EUR range), the Intel Heat/Wattage (330W+) situation making every possible intel build a non-silent variant)

    => you have to really want those single digit FPS gains from Intel CPUs in 260-300FPS games, because thats the only thing you got with the higher budget, higher thermals, higher wattage and not forget the BIOS issues right now, with Intel Boards ignoring thermal protections from the Intel CPUs => STOCK Intel CPUs are even boosted when the Core is at 100°C, outside of Intels specification for boosting. Good luck with backed silicon after a few months of just gaming.

    4. If thermals and wattage from the CPU is faktor (it should for any silent system), its easy to see that the sweet spot is around the 150W-180W range:

    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

  10. #30
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    (lets ignore for Intels sake that you NEED a 100-150 EUR cooler even without OC just avoid throttling)

    (lets ignore the Intel Mainboard pricing (+100 EUR), the Intel Cooling requirement (~120-150EUR range), the Intel Heat/Wattage (330W+) situation making every possible intel build a non-silent variant)
    According to Intel spec (and Gamer's nexus testing) the 10900k does ~125w sustained load. A 212 evo can do that. Not well, but it can.
    Granted, most MOBO's extend the amount of time CPUs boost to get it up to ~200w sustained, which is Dark Rock 4 levels, or ~70 euro.
    It only reaches 300w+ during thermal velocity boost, which should turn itself off if you get too hot, or when OC'd, in which case you're probably buying a better cooler anyway.

    Don't get me wrong, I agree with the point you're making that Intel is pointless, but let's not make Intel out to be worse than they actually are.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    1. You get a 3700x + B450 mainboard for the price of a single 10700k, a comparison against the 3900x is just silly, the differency outside of gaming is ridiculously shifted for AMD
    Buying a 10700k is irrelevant when you can get an I7-9700k that offers some of the best, if not the best gaming performance. The new Intel CPUs are absolute ass to put it mildly and not worth the dollars when they struggle to beat the previous generation even slightly.

    Also as for your B450 Mobo, yeah the compatibility with that is going to absolutely awful, and don't be so sure you win out on price on AMD: Prices are changing a lot these days. To give an example: The difference in my country between a Ryzen 7 with a B450 MB vs an Intel I7-9700 is insignificant, an an I7-9700k would be cheaper then an Ryzen 9 with motherboards counted.

    2. In every-day-tasks like encryption even the 10700k is competing with CPUs like the AMD 3300x (1/4 of the price of the Intel CPU), so there is that huge gap outside of gaming

    3. Gaming advantage is in single digits between AMD and Intel CPU's while everything else is up to 40% in AMDs favour
    (lets ignore the Intel Mainboard pricing (+100 EUR), the Intel Cooling requirement (~120-150EUR range), the Intel Heat/Wattage (330W+) situation making every possible intel build a non-silent variant)

    => you have to really want those single digit FPS gains from Intel CPUs in 260-300FPS games, because thats the only thing you got with the higher budget, higher thermals, higher wattage and not forget the BIOS issues right now, with Intel Boards ignoring thermal protections from the Intel CPUs => STOCK Intel CPUs are even boosted when the Core is at 100°C, outside of Intels specification for boosting. Good luck with backed silicon after a few months of just gaming.
    The non-gaming advantages for the vast majority of regular computer users do not matter. So that huge gap is worthless unless you're doing a lot of multi-tasking or using heaving multi-threaded applications, which frankly speaking most people don't do.

    With regards to gaming we aren't talking here about just pure FPS, which is a rather terrible metric to rely on when judging CPUs since so many games don't use them to their full potential, but rather responsiveness as well. Input and overall smoothness of gameplay is a significant factor for a CPU and where Intel makes a win against AMD, especially when paired with Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency mode.

    Cyberpunk is a shooter, being to have silky smooth response times in important for someone who wants to play it. What's not that important for them is winrar performance.

    I don't really know what you are talking about when speaking about full load. An I7 intel CPU even with OC runs quieter and cooler then an OC Ryzen 7 or even a stock Ryzen 9. The I9 does run worse, but it's a worse CPU: It's ridiculous more expensive, and runs worse then the I7 for gaming.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2020-05-23 at 02:51 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  12. #32
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    an an I7-9700k would be cheaper then an Ryzen 9 with motherboards counted.
    But then you're comparing 2 different classes of CPU.. You're comparing a high-mid range on Intel to a high-end on AMD. Maybe compare the 9700k with a 3700x/3800x?
    And that's ignoring that you can run up to a 3950x on a b450 tomahawk and be fine as long as you're not overclocking it. Slap some VRM fans on it and you can even get away with a light OC.

    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I don't really know what you are talking about when speaking about full load. An I7 intel CPU even with OC runs quieter and cooler then an OC Ryzen 7 or even a stock Ryzen 9. The I9 does run worse, but it's a worse CPU: It's ridiculous more expensive, and runs worse then the I7 for gaming.
    A stock 3700x pulls less power than a stock 9700k. A stock 3900x pulls more power than a 9900k though, that's true, but it also has 50% more cores and threads. It's also worth noting that a 3900x pulls MORE power than a 3950x which has yet more cores. (And this is only when the CPU is being loaded heavily, which they won't be while gaming)


    And also, a 9900k performs as well or better than a 9700k in 95% of games, with the few games it doesn't being outliers that for some reason scale negatively with hyper-threading, which you can then just disable.

    And that's all ignoring that AMD CPUs have lower heat density due to the cores being more spread out, and also have bigger IHS's that let you transfer more heat away from them.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Buying a 10700k is irrelevant when you can get an I7-9700k that offers some of the best, if not the best gaming performance. The new Intel CPUs are absolute ass to put it mildly and not worth the dollars when they struggle to beat the previous generation even slightly.

    Also as for your B450 Mobo, yeah the compatibility with that is going to absolutely awful, and don't be so sure you win out on price on AMD: Prices are changing a lot these days. To give an example: The difference in my country between a Ryzen 7 with a B450 MB vs an Intel I7-9700 is insignificant, an an I7-9700k would be cheaper then an Ryzen 9 with motherboards counted.



    The non-gaming advantages for the vast majority of regular computer users do not matter. So that huge gap is worthless unless you're doing a lot of multi-tasking or using heaving multi-threaded applications, which frankly speaking most people don't do.

    With regards to gaming we aren't talking here about just pure FPS, which is a rather terrible metric to rely on when judging CPUs since so many games don't use them to their full potential, but rather responsiveness as well. Input and overall smoothness of gameplay is a significant factor for a CPU and where Intel makes a win against AMD, especially when paired with Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency mode.

    Cyberpunk is a shooter, being to have silky smooth response times in important for someone who wants to play it. What's not that important for them is winrar performance.

    I don't really know what you are talking about when speaking about full load. An I7 intel CPU even with OC runs quieter and cooler then an OC Ryzen 7 or even a stock Ryzen 9. The I9 does run worse, but it's a worse CPU: It's ridiculous more expensive, and runs worse then the I7 for gaming.
    Where the hell are you getting your info from?....... Wonderland?
    Intel core i9 9900k: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master: PNY RTX 2080 XLR8 OC Twin 8GB: CORSAIR RMx 750W: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3200MHz: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian li pc-o11 dynamic: Acer Predator xb271hu: Custom water cooled

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Where the hell are you getting your info from?....... Wonderland?
    Benchmarks.

    https://www.techspot.com/review/1730...00k/page4.html
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...pu,5876-4.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/i...-9700k/14.html

    You'd be hard pressed to find many benchmarks where the I9-9900k wins against the I7 in gaming, but there are quite a good number number of cases where the I7 wins.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Benchmarks.

    https://www.techspot.com/review/1730...00k/page4.html
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...pu,5876-4.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/i...-9700k/14.html

    You'd be hard pressed to find many benchmarks where the I9-9900k wins against the I7 in gaming, but there are quite a good number number of cases where the I7 wins.
    From Techspot i see it loosing in 2 games and winning in 3 games?

    From Tomshardware. I see it loosing 1-2 FPS over the i7-9700k in a few games and the i7-9700k is clocked higher. But if you look at all the gaming pages, you will see that the i9-9900k wins in more games then the i7.

    And it's the same with Techpowerup. It looses in HT unfriendly games and 1-2 FPS in other games because again the i7-9700k is clocked higher
    Intel core i9 9900k: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master: PNY RTX 2080 XLR8 OC Twin 8GB: CORSAIR RMx 750W: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3200MHz: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian li pc-o11 dynamic: Acer Predator xb271hu: Custom water cooled

  16. #36
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Benchmarks.

    https://www.techspot.com/review/1730...00k/page4.html
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...pu,5876-4.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/i...-9700k/14.html

    You'd be hard pressed to find many benchmarks where the I9-9900k wins against the I7 in gaming, but there are quite a good number number of cases where the I7 wins.
    In the Techspot you see the 9900k within variance of the 9700k with the only exception of Shadow of the Tomb Raider where the 9900k provides a higher 1% low.

    As for Tomshardware, they have 3 tests, 2 of which are Civ Vi (which is a shit benchmark btw, especially turn-time differences due to super small differences, meaning any outliers can massively distort the result, and it's also just not very well optimized). In the warhammer we see the 9900k stock beat the 9700k stock. The 9700k OC only wins because it's higher clocked. If you ran the 9900k at 5.1 as well it would win.

    In the Techpowerup article you linked they're running up against a GPU bottleneck, and is within variance of the 9700k in all cases except Civ VI. I mean, fuck, just look at the Hellblade benchmark to see how ridiculous it is. Everything from a Ryzen 1300x and up is within variance of each other.
    Why they're benchmarking CPUs in a GPU-constrained environment I'll never understand.

    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...8700k-and-more
    Has some actual difference between CPUs, and has the 9900k on top in basically everything.
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-05-24 at 06:36 AM.

  17. #37
    4k and max settings is tough right now. The good news is you don't really need most of them maxed. Resolution takes care of itself in a lot of cases here.

  18. #38
    Okay so I've always heard cheap mobos are ass. B450-M are the cheap mobos, so why do people pair them with A tier CPUs?

    This is a literal question.

  19. #39
    RTX 3000 series will literally premier with Cyberpunk 2077. If you dont wait for these you are an idiot.

  20. #40
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Okay so I've always heard cheap mobos are ass. B450-M are the cheap mobos, so why do people pair them with A tier CPUs?

    This is a literal question.
    Who is pairing a B450-M board with anything in here? The only B450 board referenced was the B450 tomahawk MAX, which is a fantastic board and can drive a 3950x at stock with no problem

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Babadoo View Post
    RTX 3000 series will literally premier with Cyberpunk 2077. If you dont wait for these you are an idiot.
    Or need a PC right now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •