Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadoo View Post
    RTX 3000 series will literally premier with Cyberpunk 2077. If you dont wait for these you are an idiot.
    Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't count on it given the Coronavirus.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't count on it given the Coronavirus.
    Theyre tipped to debut in September.

But "debut" and "Actually available" are two entirey different things, so a little skepticism is probably the best bet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Or need a PC right now.
    If i needed a PC "RIGHT NAO", and didn't need the GPU muscle for actual, paying work, id "make do" with 1080p/60 and grab an RX 580 as a temp GPU... and then replace it with an RTX 3000 card or Big Navi if it doesn't suck.

You can resell the RX 580 for ~100$ (and itll sell at that amount; the used listings are usually in the 125$-150$ range around here) and only be out about 50$. Hell, buy a used one, and resell it again. Save even more.

If only because the Ampere leaks we do have (the number of cores in the full fat A100) point to it being a dominant upgrade over the 2000 series.

If we were looking at only a 10-15% uplift in each segment, i'd be like .. nah buy now. You aren't going to regret not having 15% more frames for your dollar in four months.

But since we're looking at more like a 30-35% (or more) uplift, and, reportedly, significantly more RT cores so that the RT penalty is near-zero... you could seriously regret it.

Get a temp GPU if you can swing it, and upgrade when RTX 3000 becomes available, IMO.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Theyre tipped to debut in September.

But "debut" and "Actually available" are two entirey different things, so a little skepticism is probably the best bet.
    Yeah I think for the purpose of this thread, when Cyberpunk is coming out middle of September, that I find it highly doubtful you'll be able to buy an RTX 3000 for a reasonable price, if you'll be able to buy it at all.

I'd say if you're interested in Cyberpunk right now going with an RTX 2000 Super wouldn't be a bad choice, especially the 2080 Super.

I simply don't buy the fantastical claims made regarding the 3000 series. Maybe I'm proven wrong about it, but I expect ridiculous prices at launch. A year from now? Sure buying a 3000 series GPU would be worth it once prices are reasonable.

If I wanted a PC for Cyberpunk and I was satisfied with my current one I'd wait until early September to see what happens then and then get a new one, or if you're lucky enough to snatch a good deal in the meantime go for it.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

I have had 2 Crucial P1 1 TB drives on back order from Newegg for several weeks now and Im getting tired of waiting. What would the best alternative? I do not mind spending a bit more but everything I watch and read about SATA vs Gen3 vs Gen4 leans me towards just buying cheap Gen3 to avoid the extra cables cause I'll never actually notice the difference otherwise. Just looking for something with similar high reviews as the P1.

-edit

I'll add I am getting my 2070 back from Gigabyte soon. The RMA process has already taken place and it shipped back on the 23rd so it is on its way back. It will be my temporary card until the 3000 series comes out.
    Last edited by Sury; 2020-05-27 at 10:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sury View Post
    I have had 2 Crucial P1 1 TB drives on back order from Newegg for several weeks now and Im getting tired of waiting. What would the best alternative? I do not mind spending a bit more but everything I watch and read about SATA vs Gen3 vs Gen4 leans me towards just buying cheap Gen3 to avoid the extra cables cause I'll never actually notice the difference otherwise. Just looking for something with similar high reviews as the P1.
    Depending on what you mean by "a bit more", Samsung's drives are among the best out there, but.. a 1TB p1 is currently 120 dollars on PCPP, and a 1TB 970 is 180, with the 970 plus being 230.

Sabrent Rocket's are also decent, at 130 for the QLC and 150 for the TLC versions
    Intel 660p's run QLC at 130 for 1tb
    WD Blue SN550 is 120 for 1tb, and seems to be TLC, but it's cacheless. You can also get an SN750 at 150 for 1TB, using TLC. But I'm not sure if it uses a cache or not, I can't find it on google at least. I'm about 80% sure it does though

For reference, I believe the P1 is also running QLC. I'd probably, personally, go with the Rocket in TLC or the SN750 if it has a DRAM cache
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-05-27 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    I simply don't buy the fantastical claims made regarding the 3000 series.
    Other than the RT core increase, none of it is claims, its just math. We know the exact specs of the A100 die used in the supercompute card they already released; if we follow the math backwards, the "Halo" product of the consumer space will have about 35%-40% less CUDA cores (typical of the last six or so generations).

That leaves a titular 3080Ti with about 35% more CUDA cores than the 2080Ti, which even if they were EXACTLY the same performance as the current gen, would be a 35% increase in performance right off (unlike CPU cores, GPU cores scale pretty much exactly as you'd expect, the main limitation being that they cant make the die size too big or it isnt profitable). But there's also a substantial IPC increase.

A 3080 (which will be the "affordable" high-end card, at the same 699$ MSRP as the 2080/SUPER) will have likely ~15% less CUDA cores than the 3080Ti, leaving it at about the same performance increase as the 3080Ti vs the 2080Ti. A 30-ish% increase is worth waiting for, for the same money.

The RT core speculation comes from several developers saying that their experiences of the pre-release silicon showed "almost no performance hit when enabling RT" - its not necessarily more RT cores, but perhaps just better implementation, but its there.

Maybe I'm proven wrong about it, but I expect ridiculous prices at launch.
    I 100% agree.

Not because of nVidia though. Itll be a supply constraint price gouge.

The MSRPs are going to fall almost exactly where they are now for each product category in the stack, just like they have for the last 7 generations, barring cost-of-building increases, which of course get passed on to the consumer.

Seems the SN750 is also on back order on NE at 150. Its listed at 185 on Amazon. The Rocket however is available at 150 on Amazon.

The Rocket seems like a good option but I came across this content provider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo

He seems to like the ADATA SX8200 if the price was better and right now there is a 2TB versions available on NE for 260. Since I planned to go with two 1TB drives do you think it would be a decent buy at 260 for this 2TB drive with the option to add another NVME in the second slot later down the road?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems the SN750 is also on back order on NE at 150. Its listed at 185 on Amazon. The Rocket however is available at 150 on Amazon.

The Rocket seems like a good option but I came across this content provider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo

He seems to like the ADATA SX8200 if the price was better and right now there is a 2TB versions available on NE for 260. Since I planned to go with two 1TB drives do you think it would be a decent buy at 260 for this 2TB drive with the option to add another NVME in the second slot later down the road?
    Seems to be TLC with a DRAM cache, so not a bad option, though I can't find reviews of the 2TB version specifically, but I'd be surprised if they change to QLC within the same product line.

That said, if you're going to run windows on it.. Maybe not? Would mean you'd have to nuke your entire drive to reinstall windows properly if you need to do that later, which seems wasteful. But if you don't mind doing that, or aren't planning on reinstalling windows, then go nuts.
    If you have the budget, then maybe getting a 250gb MLC drive as your main OS drive would make sense (But then you're pretty much locked into a 970 pro, yikes), or you could go with a TLC drive anyway since MLC doesn't really have any advantages over TLC anyway for consumer use. (It's slightly more stable and degrades slower, but that's not something you have to worry about)

I have a 256GB SX8200 pro and a EVO 960 250GB and the SX8200 pro is almost on per with the EVO 960 in Becnhmarks . My brother bought a 512GB SX8200 pro and he's really happy with it.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: