Poll: Best MMO on the market?

Thread: Best MMO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Asheron's Call

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Ultima Online, The Second Age, pre trammel. Get shit on.
    What server were you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    What server were you on?
    Chesapeake and Sonoma

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Very true, there isn't a best MMO they all have their pros and cons

Except Wildstar of course which was the best MMO with no cons and only pros.

The devs were even altruistic and generous enough to make it free to play for the plebs, yet it was still shut down.
    I, and probably many others, thought the world/setting was a major turn-off. Also if we are real and look at the market then it becomes obvious that only the games backed by large IPs tend to survive and rise to the top. In that regard the game was pretty much doomed from the start. Only expcetion are games that start out with completely different business models like GW.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever game you're playing right now.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

We're on a WoW fan site
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It's WoW, it's not even up for debate. With the exception of EQ (which aged horribly) all other MMOs are just trying and failing to be WoW.

Basically if you were making a top 5 list of MMOs, WoW would be 1 through 5 and then you'd have honorable mentions, such as;
    DAOC (PvP)
    Warhammer Online (PvP and world PvE)
    FF14 (accessibility and player agency)
    SWTOR (participation trophy)

But ultimately WoW is still King. Hell it's been out for so long it's trying to be more like it's old self.
    wait what?how are all those mmos just trying to be wow?eso is extremly different,so is gw2,the only real wow copy is rift,but its mostly a wotlk era copy

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Best MMO? Ragnarok Online

2nd best? Wildstar, thanks for letting me play a 2 handed crazy woman on his underwear
    Tbh, since the recent nostalgia craze is running rampart but I just shudder at the thought of playing vanilla again, I started to reminiscene about RO. If it weren't for the fact that it's such a grindy game that later drifted a bit too much into the emporium/empyrium/emp..something (?) war stuff for my taste I would actually be itching to play it again. This time certainly not as a priest through.. fuck that shit. Not gonne spend another couple hundret hours lighting up undeads and dark creatures.. I still cringe whenever I think about pyramids and ancient mummies pop up in my head.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-05-08 at 04:08 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The devs were even altruistic and generous enough to make it free to play for the plebs, yet it was still shut down.
    hmm i cant tell if this is someone trying to be an extremly obvious troll or a subtle one,for people who dont know wildstar had one of the worst dev teams of any triple A mmo's,they completly droped the ball with wildstar,plenty of info online about them talking about the nighmare that whent on inside with the team

Objectively. If wildstar was the best mmo people would have played it. The graphics where to childish for me and mines tastes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I, and probably many others, thought the world/setting was a major turn-off. Also if we are real and look at the market then it becomes obvious that only the games backed by large IPs tend to survive and rise to the top. In that regard the game was pretty much doomed from the start. Only expcetion are games that start out with completely different business models like GW.
    The mmo market is in the west is very different then the mmo market in the east.
    The mmo market in the west is slightly more sqewed towards realistic looking mmo's and mmo's build upon existing lore heavy franchises.

Not really seeing the correlation of the big and heavy hitters tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Tbh, since the recent nostalgia craze is running rampart but I just shudder at the thought of playing vanilla again, I started to reminiscene about RO. If it weren't for the fact that it's such a grindy game that later drifted a bit too much into the emporium/empyrium/emp..something (?) war stuff for my taste I would actually be itching to play it again. This time certainly not as a priest through.. fuck that shit. Not gonne spend another couple hundret hours lighting up undeads and dark creatures.. I still cringe whenever I think about pyramids and ancient mummies pop up in my head.
    RO went full normie and mindlessly grinding mobs isnt the only way to level up now, you have the eden group who gives you quest to either kill x amount of mobs or gather materials, and you also get some basic gear at certain levels

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Objectively. If wildstar was the best mmo people would have played it. The graphics where to childish for me and mines tastes

- - - Updated - - -

The mmo market is in the west is very different then the mmo market in the east.
    The mmo market in the west is slightly more sqewed towards realistic looking mmo's and mmo's build upon existing lore heavy franchises.

Not really seeing the correlation of the big and heavy hitters tbh
    Wildstar problem was, they went full retard with the "hardcore" stuff and big surpirse, guilds had troubles getting people if someone left/was poached because NOT everyone was as hardcore as they thought

RO went full normie and mindlessly grinding mobs isnt the only way to level up now, you have the eden group who gives you quest to either kill x amount of mobs or gather materials, and you also get some basic gear at certain levels

- - - Updated - - -

Wildstar problem was, they went full retard with the "hardcore" stuff and big surpirse, guilds had troubles getting people if someone left/was poached because NOT everyone was as hardcore as they thought
    That was one problem. Another was that just not many people played it. It topped at around 160k at the end of 2015. Many people where pushed away by the more japanese inspired races and tech oriented feel of the world. IE less realistic.

Best advice for a western audience would be medieval like setting with magic and humanoid races.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    For me it is The Secret World I loved the theme and everything about it, just needed more content and updates and it would still be around I think. Sadly WOW got here first and people had too much time sunk into it at that point to abandon it for any other MMO.
    They relaunched it as Secret World Legends. Not sure how it is different.

- - - Updated - - -

If they rolled the hardcore back and made it more casual somehow. I bet that it would be popular and people would play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    They relaunched it as Secret World Legends. Not sure how it is different.

- - - Updated - - -

If they rolled the hardcore back and made it more casual somehow. I bet that it would be popular and people would play it.
    People never really started playing it. The feel and look of the game just wasnt in peoples tastes. Otherwise it would have had more players at some point in its cycle

Nostalgia: Everquest. First MMO I ever played and made some great friends that carried on well into my WoW years.
    Current: WoW. It was never perfect (no, not even in BC/Wrath), but I've always found something to enjoy while playing it, so it's justified my sub for 12+ years now.
    Honorable Mention: Star Wars Galaxies. My favorite crafting system in any MMO I've tried. SO complex and almost guaranteed that nobody would ever craft the same exact item as you ever. The Jump to Lightspeed expansion scratched the space battle itch I had on top of it, also allowing crafters to build space ships. Anything from single-seaters to group ships. I miss it dearly and was sad when I read that the emu group I was following the progress of decided that JTL was too complex for them to replicate.

That is fine, but allow me to mention that in Wildstar you could be a magic, space, cowboy. With this in mind I maintain that I'm neither an obvious or a subtle troll when I make the objectively correct point that Wildstar was the greatest MMO ever to grace the market with it's existence.

- - - Updated - - -

People clearly were not ready for such a masterpiece, if I were to guess I'd say that most simply could not believe Wildstar was real, like a mirage, a farta morgana caused by thirst from the absolute desert that is the MMO market. Wildstar was the oasis the market needed, just not the one it deserved.

- - - Updated - - -

See immediately you've lost me and any other reasonable reader by implying that Wildstar, to reiterate the greatest MMO of all time, had "problems", which is clearly a mistake I'm sure.
    wildstar was great yes,had some nice ideas and concepts,proly the best player house,but the fact is....it was a disaster made by the devs

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    People never really started playing it. The feel and look of the game just wasnt in peoples tastes. Otherwise it would have had more players at some point in its cycle
    Got ya. I did like the way they did their questing and the story. I couldn't ever pick weapons I really liked

10+ Year Old Account
    I will rate in order of their strongest points.

Immersion & story: ESO

Instanced content: FF14

Combat: BDO

If I didn't mention it, its because the game is trash and has no redeeming qualities.