Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Corruption shouldn't have been tied to gear, it should have been it's own thing as a sort of talent tree you unlock through drops. So you unlock corruption effects the same way you do now, killing content, then choose which corruption effects you want active with the same perks and drawbacks as they have now with your cloak nullifying some effects. That way corruption still works the exact same, but gear is free to use and you don't have the situation of people having to either A. Bank gear until later and being unable to use a piece of gear when it actually drops or B. Having to make gear "weaker" by cleansing it of it's effects.

The only downside I see to that is that once you have a corruption effect, you have it forever which I assume Blizzard didn't want. They wanted you to make the choice between "Gear piece A with a strong corruption effect" or "Gear piece B with +20 ilvl's, but no corruption effect), which personally I think was a bad design decision. Even if once you unlock a corruption effect you have it forever, you'd still have the challenge of trying to upgrade your gear anyway, which has worked for every version of the game since vanilla and is a core concept of an MMORPG.

So yeah, I think corruption is a good mechanic that was implemented badly, but I don't think giving people a 20% boost is the way to go if they don't want to use it.

lol what? Am I the only sober person around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Mate, do not call me a liar if you don't know of the system works.
    Every difficulty rewards loots once.
    5 Mask - 470
    4 Mask - 465
    3 Mask - 460
    Etc
    If you do 5 Mask AGAIN after you already got the 470, you get the 465. The next time you get the 460 and so on. However, if you then do a 4mask run, you do not get the 465, but the lowest possible version you did not get yet.
    They still award 100% corrupted loot if you finish last objective. 470 465 460 455. good Corruption makes ilvl irrelevant most of the time. Those are 5 easy chances to get corrupted gear, there might be very unlucky people who get trinkets/same item/azerites from those activities all the time but that is bad luck but that's the same as people not getting their 4 set for months.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    I did not sign up for this. Gearing is already RNG enough, now I have to use corruption to be competitive? I thought this was an RPG? If I wanted to gamble, I would gamble. There should be character progression in which we can actually work toward gear that we want.

To temporarily fix this until SL, they should give a 20% damage and healing boost to anyone that chooses to wear no corruption.
    Or just draw the conclusion that this is never going to happen, and go play any myriad of other games till SL drops. The writing should have been very clearly on the wall the minute we found that corruption worked in pvp.

I don't like tier pieces, anyone not wearing tier pieces should get 10% bonus
    I don't like Rogues, anyone not playing Rogue should get 10% bonus.

There are many, many issues with Corruption. Asking for a buff as a compensation of you refusing to use it is not a solution and not even a bandaid.

Man this is terrible bait but I still bit it, QQ.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Honestly, it could be a good idea if the item level had an increase if you cleansed the corruption, but beyond that no.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    So y’all actually like corruption? Lmfao
    It's not a matter of 'like' at all... If you are unwilling do what is necessary to be competitive then you deserve to be at a disadvantage.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    No. You're playing the game wrong - you shouldn't be doing as much DPS as someone playing the game correctly. Plus a flat 20% damage buff without the draw backs of high corruption would be objectively better for most classes. Stop crying, get your corrupted gear or stop playing

- - - Updated - - -

But the game is doing fine

- - - Updated - - -

Defending corruption =/= defending being a moron

People aren't happy with corruption, but it's here now and there is no use bitching about it. Either accept that this is the game until shadowlands or just unsub

- - - Updated - - -

it's not as good for all classes as it is for DHs

my mage is my only toon with a good infinite stars piece and my mindflay piece does considerably more damage most of the time
    So one should never complain about bad things, just eat it up and be docile, or unsub and be quiet? What kind of attitude is that? If people aren't happy with corruption, then people should complain about that. "Voting with your wallet" doesn't work.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    lol no. If you want to be competitive you have to go with meta.
    Or OP should make his own groups so he invites whoever he wants.

Protip, he'll invite the players with higher ilevel and better corruption effects

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    No. Why should you get free damage for opting OUT of a critical game mechanic?

This is why Blizzard designs the game and you play it. Because if people like you designed an MMO, it would be terrible and stupid.

BLIZZ I DIDN'T SIGN UP TO WEAR ARMOR SO I SHOULD GET 20% DAMAGE REDUCTION WHEN I FIGHT NEKKID
    That's not what he said though. I kindof agree that the corruption meta is stupid, but I simply don't play anymore either. /shrug

I only really find the corruptioon annoying in that it isn't a minor visual effect, it's fucking horrible. Purple everywhere, on everyone. And it feels rather hypocritical that you get your cloak that reduces corruption, because lore-wise it's pretty shitty, but everyone uses it because it's flat out better. Just lol.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    There's no conspiracy theory, ion hazzikostas is on record saying in legion that if you don't have every weapon maxed out you have content to do.
    Which patently, to anyone with an understanding of the english language, does NOT mean the same thing as they're trying to "keep people playing the skinner box forever, rather than just 'raid logging' after a certain point"

Their design intent is give people content that they CAN do. Not content that they MUST do.

Blizzard intentionally adds infinite content systems to induce people to stay subbed longer. I honestly don't believe you can argue this point in good faith.
    You're the one who is arguing in bad faith by trying to distort something that it is a positive - ie giving people stuff to do if they want - into something out of a conspiracy theory - ie forcing people into playing longer just so that they can squeeze more subs out of us

As for impact on the community; Everyone knows about people who would run maw of souls 600 times a week for ap, groups of people offering maw carries. These infinite grinds have lead to massive burnout at the top end.
    And how exactly is that Blizzard's fault? If stupid people choose to be stupid, you cannot hold Blizzard responsible for that. For years Blizzard tried to play the role of policeman in terms of regulating how much time people could spend playing, by doing things like putting a limit on raid lockouts, limiting the number of daily quests you could do, giving rested XP buffs etc etc etc. But the reality is that the players who want to do more end up finding ways, by doing split runs, rolling multiple alts or even buying multiple accounts to get around the limitations intended to regulate their play.

It's not Blizzard's job to force us to regulate ourselves, nor is it even possible for them to do so. They can only try and encourage us in a certain direction, but ultimately it's up to us to decide where we will draw the line and whether to be sensible or not.

Anyone trying to argue that Blizzard's game design compelled anyone to run Maw 600 times a week for AP is either being egregiously dishonest or is just terrible at logic and critical thinking. It's pretty obvious that the design of the AP system heavily favours people who don't go overboard, because the more you do it, the less you get out of it. That's called "Diminishing Returns". Literally the best reward/effort ratio is given to those who don't go overboard. It's obvious that it is designed to encourage people NOT to go overboard. It's designed to encourage players to regulate our own play based on our personal value trade off which accommodates everyone.

As for your bis argument; I don't understand what basis you have to suppose a definite endpoint compels play, while infinitely grindable content (which you admit induces play) is not compelling.
    If you have to be dishonest about what I "admitted" you clearly have no argument. The word induce means to persuade or lead someone to something. At no point have said anything to the effect that "infinitely grindable content" is inducing any type of behaviour. In fact I've said pretty much the opposite in that it accommodates people to play the way they want to play. If you want to play a lot, the system allows you to. If you don't want to play a lot, the system allows that too.

Having a fixed endpoint creates a uniform goal that is the same for everyone, and that induces a specific type of play.

If you're still having trouble understanding I can try to explain more simply although I have to say that at this point I doubt the sincerity of your desire for understanding.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2020-05-01 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    And how exactly is that Blizzard's fault? If stupid people choose to be stupid, you cannot hold Blizzard responsible for that. For years Blizzard tried to play the role of policeman in terms of regulating how much time people could spend playing, by doing things like putting a limit on raid lockouts, limiting the number of daily quests you could do, giving rested XP buffs etc etc etc. But the reality is that the players who want to do more end up finding ways, by doing split runs, rolling multiple alts or even buying multiple accounts to get around the limitations intended to regulate their play.

It's not Blizzard's job to force us to regulate ourselves, nor is it even possible for them to do so. They can only try and encourage us in a certain direction, but ultimately it's up to us to decide where we will draw the line and whether to be sensible or not.
    This is an unsustainable argument.

If a Bis chest drops off the 6th boss in mythic using 'classic' loot rules I only 'need' to run the raid until it drops for me. According to you this is compelled play.

If the theoretically Bis (and remember there is still theoretically bis items) chest drops using an infinitely grindable system and even if I get it on the first kill on the first day of raiding I still 'need' to farm the boss until the end of the patch because it might socket, or titanforge, or corrupt (all of which would be dps increases over my base chest). This is not compelled play (despite being a dps increase) because I don't 'have' (have here being an arbitrary limit imposed by ?) and If I do keep running the boss to optimise my character I am just being silly?

Here's my question to you, If it's up to us to decide where the line is how come in the preinfinte grind system you couldn't just not get the bis chest and be happy? Like if grinding the same chest is players 'choosing to be stupid' to optimise the character. How is doing content you don't want to do for the bis chest not 'choosing to be stupid' to optimise the character? If you don't want to raid you don't 'need' the raiding chest do you?
    Can't you see you're creating a false paradigm that doesn't exist with this Bis compels/grindable rng doesn't dichotomy?

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Anyone trying to argue that Blizzard's game design compelled anyone to run Maw 600 times a week for AP is either being egregiously dishonest or is just terrible at logic and critical thinking. It's pretty obvious that the design of the AP system heavily favours people who don't go overboard, because the more you do it, the less you get out of it. That's called "Diminishing Returns". Literally the best reward/effort ratio is given to those who don't go overboard. It's obvious that it is designed to encourage people NOT to go overboard. It's designed to encourage players to regulate our own play based on our personal value trade off which accommodates everyone.
    No it didn't, the people running maw 600 times absolute hit DR but if they got 2-3 extra weapon traits in those first weeks of raiding and that was massive, it clearly favoured them. In fact I felt more pressure in my guid to grind ap then I ever did to get 'BiS geared'.
    In fact over the course of legion (and BFA) blizzard massively amped up DR to make it effectively a gate exactly so those types of people couldn't get meaningfully ahead. To me, that sounds a lot like blizzard regulating how people play rather than merely 'encouraging'.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    My only issue is that you cant reroll or lv up corruptions on gear.
    Like last night I got the caster offhand boe in mythic but the corruption on it was only twilight devastation lv1 I was already using a offhand with twilight lv 2 but it’s itlvl was only 455.
    A way to randomly reroll/place or level up an existing corruption would have made the system so much better imo.

I did not sign up for this. Gearing is already RNG enough, now I have to use corruption to be competitive? I thought this was an RPG? If I wanted to gamble, I would gamble. There should be character progression in which we can actually work toward gear that we want.

To temporarily fix this until SL, they should give a 20% damage and healing boost to anyone that chooses to wear no corruption.
    I mean, shit I don't want to gamble that the piece I need drops from a boss, so how about another 100% buff to those wearing no gear at all?

I don't really like it a bit even i was pvping in arena where fuckers are using 2-4 pieces gushing blood corruption and the pressure is fucking unreal.

All gear at level 120 should have a chance to be corrupted at this stage and let people actually dive deep into it before it becomes pointless shit.

Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    I don't really like it a bit even i was pvping in arena where fuckers are using 2-4 pieces gushing blood corruption and the pressure is fucking unreal.
    I don't see how the allways broken PVP balance has any relevance in this discussion. If it was not gushing, it would be old stars, if it was not any corruption it would be some stupid scaling issue with azerite/class/trinket combination.

Blizzard never cared and most likely never will ever care for a balanced PVP or you would not allways see the same dominant combinations in 2v2/3v3. Mobile and easy to play specs will allways have the upper hand in PVP and if you insert any kind of additional power gain - trinkets/azerite/corruption - it completly breaks the game.
    -

Yes.

So sit down and be quiet. And do less cause you cant spend 2 mins doing a vision that literally gives you corruption pieces each run.

But you can’t choose which specific corruption you get, or if you even get it at all. You can’t choose whether it’s rank 1, 2, 3. There’s zero choice involved.
    That’s odd. I definitely thought I chose to not wear IS gear on hive mind and chose to not use tdev on xanesh. Pretty sure I chose to run IS on shadar and chose to not run IS on vex.

Guess I’m wrong though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    kek no, 100000000000 out of 10 you'll always use infinite stars
    It’s 2020 and there are people who still can’t understand how haste and the apm of different specs can significantly alter the value of something when it’s proc rate is directly tied to haste and apm. That’s just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    That’s odd. I definitely thought I chose to not wear IS gear on hive mind and chose to not use tdev on xanesh. Pretty sure I chose to run IS on shadar and chose to not run IS on vex.

Guess I’m wrong though.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s 2020 and there are people who still can’t understand how haste and the apm of different specs can significantly alter the value of something when it’s proc rate is directly tied to haste and apm. That’s just sad.
    To be fair most mechanics work with internal cooldowns making apm a non factor in most cases.