Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Or, given that we largely had a Keynesian beauty contest for a primary, the other option is that the Democratic electorate perceived the general electorate as too bigoted to support her.

Could be some of both of course.
    It turns out the Democratic electorate is a lot more bigoted than I realized (I think the euphemism in this case is "gender traditionalist"):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/o...ump-biden.html

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog...idnt-do-better
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

By the time the Office of PPE Manufacturing gets off the ground, this crisis will likely be over. Just legislate that the federal government should keep a strategic reserve of masks and filters and shit, like we do with gasoline. We can even mandate that Made in USA is a national security requirement for medical equipment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warren was my first choice even if she ended up being a weak campaigner for me (and compromised on her, maybe mine, standards at times). Glad to see she is still fighting for what's right.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Lets be honest. The democrats have a pretty big problem at leadership. Not that people don't have good ideas. But they all lack charisma. Just don't give people a lot of confidence even if that isn't deserved. Warren falls into this trend. She was my first pick for sure but when she got into that pointless scuff with Bernie that went no where and pretty much tanked her. It is a trend that also happens to be in the Democrat party. People just make woke accusations without a lot, if any, proof and then the woke police shred both sides up for next to no reason. It is going down with Joe right now too. People that are bitter their person didn't make it are now out to destroy him. Last run it was Bernie people going after and attacking Clinton. I guess when you are constantly looking for something to be offended about you can always find it when it comes to other humans. Sadly this course of thinking lead to the ultimate loser and most un-woke person in history to become President. You know, Trump. Looks like Democrat hit squads are working hard to get him re-elected again as they target and destroy their own again. It is sad as fuck but what can you do.

Come at me. But it is how I feel about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Lets be honest. The democrats have a pretty big problem at leadership. Not that people don't have good ideas. But they all lack charisma. Just don't give people a lot of confidence even if that isn't deserved. Warren falls into this trend. She was my first pick for sure but when she got into that pointless scuff with Bernie that went no where and pretty much tanked her. It is a trend that also happens to be in the Democrat party. People just make woke accusations without a lot, if any, proof and then the woke police shred both sides up for next to no reason. It is going down with Joe right now too. People that are bitter their person didn't make it are now out to destroy him. Last run it was Bernie people going after and attacking Clinton. I guess when you are constantly looking for something to be offended about you can always find it when it comes to other humans. Sadly this course of thinking lead to the ultimate loser and most un-woke person in history to become President. You know, Trump. Looks like Democrat hit squads are working hard to get him re-elected again as they target and destroy their own again. It is sad as fuck but what can you do.

Come at me. But it is how I feel about it.
    Charisma? If democrats get her, who will cover the 4 pm slot at the local strip club?

Edit: forgot about covid... never mind... Charisma is available.
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-05-03 at 02:56 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Charisma? If democrats get her, who will cover the 4 pm slot at the local strip club?

Edit: forgot about covid... never mind... Charisma is available.
    Charisma is a bigger sticking point for Dem candidates than is commonly accepted by the electorate. The nature of having as big a tent as the Democrats do is that you contain more mutually exclusive platform points. Off the top of my head: Blacks and gays have differing views on civil rights, union workers and environmentalists don't agree on pretty much any industrial policy points, and single women don't generally wanna pay for college students (which seems shortsighted to me, but whatever.) So if you can't have them all, how do Democrats win? They get a candidate with enough personality to paper over those differences. Bill and Barack can cream Republican elections. Kerry, Hillary? They don't do very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Lets be honest. The democrats have a pretty big problem at leadership. Not that people don't have good ideas. But they all lack charisma. Just don't give people a lot of confidence even if that isn't deserved. Warren falls into this trend. She was my first pick for sure but when she got into that pointless scuff with Bernie that went no where and pretty much tanked her.
    Frankly, that's an argument for latent bigotry coloring candidate performance at the polls, not candidate charisma.

Warren didn't bring that up, reporters did, after sitting on the story for months. And all Bernie had to do was say "I don't recall saying that, but if I had, I would have been speaking about the electorate's misogynistic unwillingness to vote for a woman, not my colleague's capabilities, which are up to the task of President." Instead, he called Warren a liar and made this a stink. That the stink fell squarely on Warren alone is bringing us right back to misogyny.

Are people forgetting the final nail in Warren's coffin, the "Sanders told me a woman can't be president" lie? You guys might blame the electorate for being sexist, but clearly the woman had some unelectable qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Are people forgetting the final nail in Warren's coffin, the "Sanders told me a woman can't be president" lie? You guys might blame the electorate for being sexist, but clearly the woman had some unelectable qualities.
    The post literally above yours directly addresses this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The post literally above yours directly addresses this.
    Meh, these people were also accusing Warren of being a snake, secret republican, billionaire baglady, etc. These accusations conveniently came at everytime she had a bump in the polls and threatened Bernie's position.

It was really frustrating to watch people claiming to be "allies" tear her down at every opportunity.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Meh, these people were also accusing Warren of being a snake, secret republican, billionaire baglady, etc. These accusations conveniently came at everytime she had a bump in the polls and threatened Bernie's position.

It was really frustrating to watch people claiming to be "allies" tear her down at every opportunity.
    What's even crazier is Bernie's repeated asks that his base stop being awful. But as they like to remind me it isn't about Bernie. So I guess it's just about being awful? I dunno -- I'm just glad that toxic slice is just a relatively small part of his base.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    What's even crazier is Bernie's repeated asks that his base stop being awful. But as they like to remind me it isn't about Bernie. So I guess it's just about being awful? I dunno -- I'm just glad that toxic slice is just a relatively small part of his base.
    At some point, Bernie supports will figure out why his policy is so popular, while he isn’t. It might after the same Bernie or bust bullshit being pulled on Biden. It’s not even Bernie’s fault...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    At some point, Bernie supports will figure out why his policy is so popular, while he isn’t. It might after the same Bernie or bust bullshit being pulled on Biden. It’s not even Bernie’s fault...
    Well it's not just Bernie. Democratic policies in general are popular but when you put the label on it they immediately tank. IE - compare approval for "Affordable Care Act" vs "Obamacare". It's part of the negative partisanship. There are times I wonder what would happen if the dems tried reverse psychology and took a bunch of right wing stances. Would they suddenly become unpopular on the right?
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's not just Bernie. Democratic policies in general are popular but when you put the label on it they immediately tank. IE - compare approval for "Affordable Care Act" vs "Obamacare". It's part of the negative partisanship. There are times I wonder what would happen if the dems tried reverse psychology and took a bunch of right wing stances. Would they suddenly become unpopular on the right?
    I suggested that the Democrats fault in this, wasn’t using reverse psychology, earlier today. Imagine if instead of warning and alerting Trump, for him to call it a hoax... they claimed Obama loved viruses and there was nothing more Obama would love than viruses everywhere. Maybe Trump would have done something then?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggested that the Democrats fault in this, wasn’t using reverse psychology, earlier today. Imagine if instead of warning and alerting Trump, for him to call it a hoax... they claimed Obama loved viruses and there was nothing more Obama would love than viruses everywhere. Maybe Trump would have done something then?
    Given his pathological hatred of Obama it seems quite likely that would work. Trump never forgave Obama making fun of him at that one event (was it the WH correspondences thingy? I can't remember).
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Given his pathological hatred of Obama it seems quite likely that would work. Trump never forgave Obama making fun of him at that one event (was it the WH correspondences thingy? I can't remember).
    Yes, making fun of Trump in attendance for all the hateful bullshit Trump was posting, Obama said that Trump will never have to worry about responsibility of a President.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Not only did I specifically debunk that horseshit in the post right before yours, but I'll also note that trusting Bernie's recollection of that conversation but not trusting Warren's is, itself, misogyny.

Plus, you're effectively lying about the comment; https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/polit...ing/index.html

The original comment was that Sanders allegedly said "a woman couldn't win". That's a statement about the electorate's willingness to vote for a woman, not her capacity to actually be President, if elected.

And it wasn't Warren's word against Bernie's, either. It was 4 other sources, and Warren confirming their accounts, against Bernie alone.

In the end; whether Bernie actually expressed it or not, he would've been correct in doing so, as we've already seen in this primary season. A woman couldn't win the Presidency in 2020.