Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    i have no idea of your history with OP but this seems harsh
    It's more annoyance. He pops up every few weeks to make a thread very similar to this asking about vague questions about sci-fi tv series, movies, or video games and then never responds to any of them.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The reimagined BSG was an abomination.

The entire hook of the original 1970s show was that, here was this human civilization and it lost EVERYTHING. All of its colonies and territory. To a superior species. And it was on the run to find a mythical colony. And despite all of the loss, death, and destruction, they were amazingly upbeat, happy, playful, joking, even down to shiny brass on their uniforms. They were a font of positive thinking.

The reimagined BSG sucked so hard because it missed the entire point of the show. They made everyone moody, grim, somber, pouty. Dark sets and glum faces. No one happy. Maybe the reimagined BSG reflected the crappy mood everyone is in this decade, but we certainly didn't need it.

I wish they'd bring back the real BSG but oh well. This world desperately needs the real BSG back. It might inspire people to be positive again.
    Well, that's how barely surviving is, though. Would it be easy to be optimistic given the circumstances?

-Your entire civilization was undermined and reduced to under 75,000 people in the blink of an eye.
    -Whole ships full of people are abandoned to die from the start because they don't have FTL, and one is fired upon because it -might- be compromised by the Cylons.
    -You're still under constant threat of annihilation, to the point where your combat pilots are basically on meth to stay awake- for days on end.
    -Your basic necessities are under threat from sabotage and disrepair.
    -You can't even tell who the enemy is anymore.

Were there moments of optimism? Probably. But for the most part, life aboard the fleet was probably the psychological equivalent of being in a parked car with no air conditioning.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Trailer unavailable but I'll assume it's another budget tv-show being shoveled to audiences. You can get away with a lot with decent acting and writing and a few cool effects here and there, so it might not be all that bad afterall. Time will tell.
    Your preference reminds me of the Defiance series, worth a watch if you haven't. It's intriguing and has what you're looking for. If you're open to anime I can recommend the Planetes series and there's tons of sci-fi classics in bookform along with new ones coming out if you're into that medium. Just take your pick, there's no light without darkness, it's at the heart of most space fantasies and that dichotomy is often integral to their story and plot.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2020-05-02 at 09:16 AM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    Well, that's how barely surviving is, though. Would it be easy to be optimistic given the circumstances?

-Your entire civilization was undermined and reduced to under 75,000 people in the blink of an eye.
    -Whole ships full of people are abandoned to die from the start because they don't have FTL, and one is fired upon because it -might- be compromised by the Cylons.
    -You're still under constant threat of annihilation, to the point where your combat pilots are basically on meth to stay awake- for days on end.
    -Your basic necessities are under threat from sabotage and disrepair.
    -You can't even tell who the enemy is anymore.

Were there moments of optimism? Probably. But for the most part, life aboard the fleet was probably the psychological equivalent of being in a parked car with no air conditioning.
    Eh i know a show worse than that.
    Knights of Sidonia is even more depressing.

A lot of scfi mostly moved to animation since its cheaper.
    Space battleship yamato for example (human version sucks lol).

Then there is one bilion of gundam series. Or Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (fight and politics betwen 2 space empires).

And then there is RobiHachi .. show that doesnt take itself serios.

The entire hook of the original 1970s show was that, here was this human civilization and it lost EVERYTHING. All of its colonies and territory. To a superior species. And it was on the run to find a mythical colony. And despite all of the loss, death, and destruction, they were amazingly upbeat, happy, playful, joking, even down to shiny brass on their uniforms. They were a font of positive thinking.

The reimagined BSG sucked so hard because it missed the entire point of the show. They made everyone moody, grim, somber, pouty. Dark sets and glum faces. No one happy. Maybe the reimagined BSG reflected the crappy mood everyone is in this decade, but we certainly didn't need it.

I wish they'd bring back the real BSG but oh well. This world desperately needs the real BSG back. It might inspire people to be positive again.
    Not sure if serious. Original BSG was for all intents and purposes a Star Trek clone, piggybacking and regurgitating everything from Trek, trying to capitalize on its success, and it failed because it was an inferior show.

The reimagined BSG on the other hand, is the most critically acclaimed hard scifi EVER, and it excels where other scifi has consistently failed, by being taken seriously. It boggles my mind that you'd expect someone to actually spend money duplicating a notoriously failed tv show to the letter.

The re-imagined BSG is a triumph, a stunning success, lightning in a bottle, the likes of which we're unlikely to see again

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    The reimagined BSG on the other hand, is the most critically acclaimed hard scifi EVER, and it excels where other scifi has consistently failed, by being taken seriously.
    New BSG was hard sci-fi? I think you need to re-watch it. Its about as much sci-fi as Star Wars is.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    The Orville isn’t optimistic enough for you??
    I'm sure he wants a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol, what nonsense. "No one was happy" because no one would be happy in that situation. If you want to write a story where none of the characters behave like humans would behave...what's the point in making them human in the first place?
    Its an uplifting story of the endurance of the human spirit. Original BSG is perfect.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We will continue to be in a dark age of sci-fi television until the return of Firefly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope so, dystopian futures are just so easy to write that bright future settings are few and far between.

Its an uplifting story of the endurance of the human spirit. Original BSG is perfect.
    And that's why it was panned so hard it was cancelled after 1 season.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is kind of hard to write conflict in a true utopian future, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I'm sure he wants a good show.
    Everyone’s definition of good is subjective. The Orville is a damn good show. Better than any recent Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Everyone’s definition of good is subjective. The Orville is a damn good show. Better than any recent Star Trek
    Fair enough. It's not to my taste. Production values look amazing, but Seth McFarlene really is horrible. Don't get me wrong, he's got a great comedic mind, I give credit where due, but watching him act is cringe-worthy. There's something wooden and off putting about his performance. It's not any worse than wooden acting I've seen, but there's something missing that makes him unwatchable to me. Talented voice actor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Optimism is a problem because it's hard to create drama when things work too well.
    That's an interesting point, but I wonder if we can differentiate between drama and cynicism and skepticism

It's what sabotaged the original Star Trek premise - it was conceptualized as a Utopian world full of morally advanced humans, but in practice it never turned out that way because they couldn't find a way to make compelling television with such restraints. People had to be flawed, problems had to arise, imperfections had to be exposed. In fact, many would say that Star Trek is at its MOST engaging when the characters are put into contrast with such imperfections, i.e. they are given orders not in line with a Utopian world and choose to ignore them, or they make questionable decisions, or whatever.
    I feel like this happened a great deal of the time in TOS/TNG - characters were thrust into a situation where they had to make challenging moral and philosophical decisions. Some larger characters you were supposed to look up to as leaders (Picard) took on the tougher challenges while other side characters (Wesley) had to deal with their own minor issues. I suppose the other source of conflict simply came from outside - strange new life forms, old political rivalries, etc... But I don't really see those two series' as utopian optimism, just a system of advanced technology that allowed humans to propel themselves further outwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I get the sense the OP wants to make something space related but utterly lacks the skills to make any facet of their goal a reality and so uses this forum as an idea testing ground.

Suffice to say, OP (though they usually post their threads and then immediately abandon them

i was really talking about the tone.

someone else actually replied explaining the OPs idiom also but still, i stand by my statement :P

10+ Year Old Account

Also happened to stargate with SGU. All these new scifi take themselves way too seriously and its all crybaby drama bullshit. I really miss good adventure scifi sg1 and sga, firefly, farscape, and most recently that absolutely nailed it was dark matter which was also cancelled. I hate the expanse and anything like it, so fucking boring.

Killjoys was alright but not great, at least they tried. Syfy network is such a cancer it amazes me anyone still pitches anything to those fucking retards it is guaranteed to get snipped.

I feel orville is TOO lighthearted , it doesn't have that mix and I just can't take it seriously enough to watch but that could be because of its creator, I know he's a fan of the good old school shit but missed the mark. I remember seeing him cameo in TNG. Maybe he shouldn't have acted in his show or took the cringe moments from star trek about identity and sexuality shit. I think I am destined to rewatch the old greats. Picard sucks fat cocks same with discovery, all suffer from the same thing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Dark Matter had promise but it seemed like they squandered ideas and plot points to play it safe. I agree, we are lacking good scifi lately, on TV and the big screen.

Here's hoping the new Dune changes that.
    Last edited by Highelf; 2020-05-10 at 08:27 AM.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

If star trek picard didn't want to pull off the optimistic future, nothing else even has a chance.

Now on the other hand, they better make the 40k Eisenhorn show proper dark and dystopian.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    If star trek picard didn't want to pull off the optimistic future, nothing else even has a chance.
    They did pull off an optimistic future. Life isn't perfect. The Federation took a step backwards but by the end of the first season started walking forward again.