Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Every tank is extremely easy to play currently. You should really not base your choice on what randoms say on a forum because different classes will feel easy for different players. But in general, all tanks are very easy, just like the game itself. When you start thinking something is "hard" - you've already made it harder than it needs to be in your head. Wow is an extremely simple game. Don't make it harder.
    Which game is more mechanically and logistically complex than raiding in WoW? It can be extremely easy as a game, but if you want it can be mathematically impossibly hard.

What's easiest; walking 100 meters or 101 meters?

We boiling it down to the bare basics of tanking - holding threat and not dying to melees

In terms of not dying monk

in terms of threat warrior

Other tanks are better at eating magic and have situational utility that make them the best tanks in certain situations but those two have the easiest time in high content overall. In terms of key/raid
    Last edited by dirtybrew; 2020-05-15 at 01:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My experience, I've played every tank:

Druid is the easiest. Easiest to hold aggro, easiest defensives to manage.
    Paladin: Super easy. Avengers shield them, keep consecrate down, almost druid level easy to play.
    Demon Hunter is close. Just make sure you're using demon spikes, keep generating soul fragments, etc. High mobility makes them very easy
    Monk: So long as you keep track of your brews, you're fine for most content. The aggro statue (brain fart, the hell is it called?) is nice for some extra crowd control/add management
    Death Knight: Runes complicate the class a bit. Not hard, but harder than the previous three. Mismanage the runes and it can screw you up. I've fucked up and dropped bone shield before because of this.
    Warrior: My favorite to play, but a lot of mitigations to keep an eye on.

I don't find any of them *hard,* but I do think the warrior is the hardest to master. Again, that's my experience, YMMV. If anyone else in this thread thinks monks are harder or whatever, that's their opinion. There's no objective answer here.
    Putin khuliyo

After having all the tanks around 2k rio my experience is that dk is the easiest along bear.

DH isn't the easiest tank. You need to know how to kite once armor is down. generally speaking guardian is very simple.. keep iron fur rolling, spam thrash, Regen when required, done.

On my experience, for low keys (up to 18-20) BDK seems to be extremely easy (oneshots are not really a concern) while also not depending on healers that much as other tanks, but it gets harder for high keys where monk is extremely easy due to stagger and mobility along some other tools (which help on kitting and avoiding damage). Paladin, Warrior and DH have windows with no dmg reduction, while they are good, some experience is needed for pushing. Druid is undertuned comapred to the other 5 (both on dmg reduction and toolkit), but easy to play overall, it's a good choice for low keys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Warriors predict damage, paladins react.

Paladins absolutely predict. You need your damage reductions up BEFORE a big hit comes in. You need to know the fights and when to shield, etc.

OT: Monk tanks. I play one. It's so easy. You keep ISB up all the time anyway, so you're always mitigating. You just purify when incoming damage ticks get too high. Your rotation is basic and involves keeping RJW up, KS on cooldown, and otherwise BoS with TP as filler. You don't have to devote any brain power to predicting incoming damage or pooling anything but enough energy to ensure you can KS.
    Last edited by Will; 2020-05-16 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Which game is more mechanically and logistically complex than raiding in WoW? It can be extremely easy as a game, but if you want it can be mathematically impossibly hard.
    the top endgame is ofc gonna be complex and hard,early mythic raids,high keys,high ratings,but wow at its core is a very easy game to play,its very intuitive and noob friendly,easy to get in to and learn basics,there arent very many complex systems,and you wont even need to know any of them or master any to do normal and heroic

I got almost every raid edge and i never once simmed my char or took any major effort to rly min max,i do 1 m+ a week,dont farm visions etc,i healed the raids,used my cd's when needed and bosses died,granted we never got any amazing firsts,i think our best ever was a top 200 world helya,we were pretty proud as that boss was a hardass,but we usualy dont do under 500

Protection Warrior.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it falls down on what type/flavor of tanking you want to play. Prot warriors and paladins are the quintessential guardians with plate armor and shields, using abilities to buff up their defense like Shield Wall or Divine Shield. Guardian Druids is all about turning into a bear and having insane amount of health pool and armor. Blood DKs and Vengeance DH, albeit working in different ways, essencially tank by draining health from their oponents. Monks are unique because they have a unique way of tanking, called Stagering that makes the damage that they take be "taken" in the next minutes instead of all at once.

As with everything in the game, it falls down to personal choice. And as with any post like this, you should NEVER ask randos online about what you should enjoy, it's stupid bc everyone has their personal prefernces and we don't know yours. That being said, for me I personally like blood dks because I like the fantasy of the class/spec and being able to self regen HP by draining it from my enemies makes soloing hard mobs so easy!

15+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like being slow, you won't like Pally or DK. Both feel slow. DK's ranged pull missle travels really slowly and you have to pick and choose the movement on top of it being clunky to use, costing GCDs you don't want to spare. Another thing people forget to mention about BDK is that they are very awful when your haste is low; multiply the sluggish feeling x10 if you have low haste.
    Pally is locked into picking slow on consecrate. Both of them have to time and aim a placement spell in order to slow, so you're waiting on these cooldowns and watching a reticle/animation on the ground, it just doesn't feel as fluid as Prot war or Brew.

Prot and Brew have high quality of life in terms of well roundedness and no plate spinning.
    Last edited by msdos; 2020-05-22 at 10:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Protection Warrior, or Guardian Druid.

To be fair, FF14 tanking is probably the most in depth/demanding on paper I've ever seen in an MMO. Same responsibilities, but you're also doing "rotations" with typically 15-20+ actively used buttons, and expected to do just under DPS level dps.

I love how everyone argues for different classes, we can probably take a guess which classes people play because whatever they have most experience on will probably be "easiest" for them.

In the end, it all depends what content OP wants to do. DH / DK are really good for low challenge content with trash team mates, because you can self heal, also dhs do more damage so you can somewhat "solo carry", DKs can do that to an extent too if they stack a lot of corruption. For harder content monk is probably "easiest" because you're at the lowest chance to get randomly 1-shot. People who are very experienced and already know what can 1-shot you and what doesn't probably don't care about that feature anymore, it's fairly irrelevant.

Also when it comes to which tank has the least buttons to press, that's probably monk or dh. Warrior might seem "easy" because you mostly spam thunder clap, but you have to constantly manage and use your cooldowns like avatar and demo shout, much more often than other tanks, and some don't even have that kind of "extra" buttons in their rotation. Druids have simple dps rotation but ironfur is a tad bit more complex than ironskin brew.

Paladins might seem good due to a couple "out of jail" cards like bubble or lay on hands, but they pay for it with lower active mitigation uptime than basically any other tank except dh, lower self healing than dk / dh, and higher cooldowns on defensives than dk / warrior / druid. I think both paladin and dk have tools to "save themselves" but if they don't use them properly, they can feel very squishy. DH to some extent too but in the current patch the amount of extra meta procs and whatnot you can accumulate helps, also you are nearly always specced into passive cheat death as a dh so you have 1 failsafe for fuckups.

And pretty sure if someone asks the question OP did, they won't be doing +25s or progressing world first mythic raid. So some tricks that are needed in really high content will never be needed in average experience.

I'd still go DH as it's literally a 2-button rotation most of the time. Out of all the tanks, it has the least amount of buttons for the standard rotation, as well as overall.

I see arguments for Monk/Druid, but I find these classes more hectic and actively engaged in survival than DH. Even during the standard rotation, you're always pressing buttons... and once you get into the utility aspect of things, the number of abilities/buttons you have explode for Monk/Druid because they're healer/dps/tank hybrids. On a DH, there are a bunch of free GCDs to where you can look around (which can change at high haste levels, but you won't see that starting out), and you're fairly tanky regardless of what you do... about the only thing that you should probably do is go into a pull with Demon Spikes, Meta, something to prevent you from going splat (fortunately, there's no resource requirement for these abilities, so it's very on demand). Even then, DH is pretty forgiving unless you're tackling something above your paygrade, but that will insta-splat almost any tank. I hear the nuance argument getting thrown around, but there's nuance for every tank depending upon the scenario.

In terms of ease out-of-the-box, I'd probably rank this as DH as easiest by a mile even if it doesn't have the easiest passive mitigation. Go gluttony build, Fracture and Soul Cleave, pop Immolation Aura on cooldown if you're feeling frisky, you're a 90-95% effective DH tank while likely parsing decently well for damage to boot.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2020-05-23 at 12:09 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I'd still go DH as it's literally a 2-button rotation most of the time. Out of all the tanks, it has the least amount of buttons for the standard rotation, as well as overall.

I see arguments for Monk/Druid, but I find these classes more hectic and actively engaged in survival than DH. Even during the standard rotation, you're always pressing buttons... and once you get into the utility aspect of things, the number of abilities/buttons you have explode for Monk/Druid because they're healer/dps/tank hybrids. On a DH, there are a bunch of free GCDs to where you can look around (which can change at high haste levels, but you won't see that starting out), and you're fairly tanky regardless of what you do... about the only thing that you should probably do is go into a pull with Demon Spikes, Meta, something to prevent you from going splat (fortunately, there's no resource requirement for these abilities, so it's very on demand). Even then, DH is pretty forgiving unless you're tackling something above your paygrade, but that will insta-splat almost any tank. I hear the nuance argument getting thrown around, but there's nuance for every tank depending upon the scenario.

In terms of ease out-of-the-box, I'd probably rank this as DH as easiest by a mile even if it doesn't have the easiest passive mitigation. Go gluttony build, Fracture and Soul Cleave, pop Immolation Aura on cooldown if you're feeling frisky, you're a 90-95% effective DH tank while likely parsing decently well for damage to boot.
    You're not parsing well without Spirit Bomb

Honestly? They are all easy once you know how to tank. There is no "passive" tank game play. They all require some form of mitigation management. Weather it be in the form of a heal or some absorption type effect, they all require some form of thinking and planning.

If you want game play that you can do while on cruse control, choose a dps. Less likely that someone in LFR will call out a dps who isn't paying attention vs a tank that isn't paying attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

mechanically tanking in ffxiv is harder. complex dps rotations and a lot of mechanics. (compared to wow tanking). tanks in ffxiv do 90% of the mechanics in any fight (they get to skip very few), while maintaining full blown dps rotations and tank swaps/CD's/etc.

oddly enough, healing is the opposite. piss shit easy in ffxiv on all fronts, the healing is easy, the dps rotations are 2-3 buttons making them brain dead easy, all they really have to do is the same mechanics as everyone else. healing in wow makes ffxiv healing look like a joke.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2020-05-23 at 01:27 AM.

Every RTS ever made, every serious FPS, every DotA game.

Mechanical skill refers to the physical performance required with your mouse nad keyboard to control your character to the best of your ability.

Wow with its GCD and tab targetting simply doesn't hold a candle to any of the esports. We are talking about the type of games where progamers become too old at 25, because they no longer have the reactions required to keep up with the younger guys.

DotA and LoL have been known for their steep learning curve in the past, CS:GO is known for being difficuly to get into, because noobs are completely chanceless against ppl who have been playing for long, and SC / SC2 are both legendary for the 400 APM Koreans and completely ridiculous things like still keeping your macro production going while you are micromanaging armies during battle.

All of those games are also notorious for requiring you to play constantly, because you WILL lose a lot of your mechancail skill very quickly if you take breaks. And that's just the mechanical side of it, we haven't even started talking about the tactical and strategic side of things yet...

The only thing hard about WoW is the logistics of running a Mythic guild, and the top raiders require some creative thinking to come up with the tactics for Mythic bosses when they are the first players in the world doing them.

Mechanical skill is THE easiest part of WoW raiding, and WoW in general. WoW PvP requires even less mechanical skill, where class knowledge and counterplay/reacting to the situation is the only thing that matters. Even the hardest PvE specs of all time, like many of the different Feral Druid specs throughout the ages, MoP/WoD AND BFA Demo Lock and Legion S2M Shadow Priest are mechanically easy to perfect in the grand scale of things...
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2020-05-23 at 01:51 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory