Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Power of Axe of Cenarius

Many people believe that the Axe of Cenarius is just a magic ax and that its power comes from the power of Cenarius and Malfurion. But it seems to me that everything is a little more complicated and this is one of the most powerful artifacts in the history of Azeroth. Frankly, this is not my theory, I once saw this assumption in this forum (it seems that Qualia said it) and remembered it. So here. According to this assumption (and I agree with this), the strength of the ax does not come from Cenarius. But from Azeroth. From Titan. And it's not that the ax was able to scratch Sargeras. No. In ''Stormrage'', this ax was able to break through the shield of Tyrande that Elune created. But in the War of the Ancients, even Archimonde together with the Highborne could not destroy such a shield. Cenarius himself could not have created a weapon more powerful than the magic of Archimonde. But Azeroth could.

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    According to the War of the Ancients trilogy, the Axe of Cenarius was "enchanted with a piece of Kalimdor's magic" and was "light as a feather and stronger than any mortal-forged axe." I don't think it was imbued with the full power of Azeroth, per se; but rather a portion of the collective natural might of Kalimdor. I would say the weapon is certainly Artifact tier up there with the Ashbringer, Aluneth, and the Scepter of Sargeras. It was actually considered for one of the Warrior Artifacts in Legion, but the developers worried its connection to nature and Druids wouldn't be a good fit for the Warrior aesthetic.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    According to the War of the Ancients trilogy, the Axe of Cenarius was "enchanted with a piece of Kalimdor's magic" and was "light as a feather and stronger than any mortal-forged axe." I don't think it was imbued with the full power of Azeroth, per se; but rather a portion of the collective natural might of Kalimdor. I would say the weapon is certainly Artifact tier up there with the Ashbringer, Aluneth, and the Scepter of Sargeras. It was actually considered for one of the Warrior Artifacts in Legion, but the developers worried its connection to nature and Druids wouldn't be a good fit for the Warrior aesthetic.
    Yes, in the War of the Ancients, Malfurion constantly invokes the power of the world. But now we know that our world is Titan. So maybe Malfurion was invoking the power of Titan?

I was honestly more shocked when I found out that this wasn't the arms artifact than finding out DKs weren't getting frostmourne when pallies got ashbringer.. they even had a whole reforge the frostmourne questline only to turn it into toothpicks but I digress :P

I mean a weapon that was wielded by one of the most famous warriors in warcraft history that managed to scratch a titan.. Its insane to think that duhh what if the players see it as a druid weapon lol. They could even had a sword in the stone reference when acquiring the weapon to merge its "nature" background with the warrior worthiness which could have fit in with the odyn Valhalla theme in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    I was honestly more shocked when I found out that this wasn't the arms artifact than finding out DKs weren't getting frostmourne when pallies got ashbringer.. they even had a whole reforge the frostmourne questline only to turn it into toothpicks but I digress :P

I mean a weapon that was wielded by one of the most famous warriors in warcraft history that managed to scratch a titan.. Its insane to think that duhh what if the players see it as a druid weapon lol. They could even had a sword in the stone reference when acquiring the weapon to merge its "nature" background with the warrior worthiness which could have fit in with the odyn Valhalla theme in itself.
    I agree
    The weapon that scratched Sargeras himself, in fact the main antagonist of the add-on, would be very cool to see in the story of a new war with the Legion

I wouldn't think too much into it, it's a piece of Knnak lore which only depends on the rule of "cool" and should be flushed down the nearest toilet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Yes, in the War of the Ancients, Malfurion constantly invokes the power of the world. But now we know that our world is Titan. So maybe Malfurion was invoking the power of Titan?
    Perhaps to a degree, sure. I personally think everyone on Azeroth wields a scintilla of the World-Soul's manifest power, which goes far toward explaining why Azerothians are so powerful in general - and how they managed to fight back the Legion three times, when no other civilizations managed it. The influence of the World-Soul is what gives rise to so many mighty exemplars in the Warcraft universe.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It's just old lore back from the days when Sargeras wasn't a planet-sized monstrosity. Broxigar would get crushed by gravity by just being within a few kilometers of 2018 Sargeras.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    It's just old lore back from the days when Sargeras wasn't a planet-sized monstrosity. Broxigar would get crushed by gravity by just being within a few kilometers of 2018 Sargeras.
    Perhaps he knows how to change his size.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    It's just a Knaak item, ignore it.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Do you realize that you literally live on a planet-size... planet, and don't get crushed by its gravity?

You sure about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

and boy did they fuck up. especially after infinity war introduced stormbreaker. wooden handles are fucking badass.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

An axe used to cleave Sargeras "wouldn't fit the warrior aesthetic", bah!

On the topic of its exact source of power I doubt even Blizzard knows, and with Sargeras out of the picture I don't see the axe coming back into narrative focus in the near future.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

On the topic of its exact source of power I doubt even Blizzard knows, and with Sargeras out of the picture I don't see the axe coming back into narrative focus in the near future.
    Well, the axe is still extant in the hands of Broxigar's niece, Thura. No idea if it will return to play anytime soon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I find that explanation meh as well, since a sword tainted by the void, that regularly explodes with shadow energy and spikes apparently fits the warrior aesthetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    I find that explanation meh as well, since a sword tainted by the void, that regularly explodes with shadow energy and spikes apparently fits the warrior aesthetic.
    Wait, which Warrior Artifact did that? Warriors had the Scale of the Earthwarder as Prot, Strom'kar as Arms, and the Warswords of the Valarjar as Fury - none of which were tainted by the Void or exploded?

Wait, which Warrior Artifact did that? Warriors had the Scale of the Earthwarder as Prot, Strom'kar as Arms, and the Warswords of the Valarjar as Fury - none of which were tainted by the Void or exploded?
    Arms' sword did. It was found impaled on a faceless one, and apparently during all that time the sword absorbed some of its voidness. Its artifact ability was purple spikes, and some artifact traits revolved around sending some kind of shadowy waves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    Arms' sword did. It was found impaled on a faceless one, and apparently during all that time the sword absorbed some of its voidness. Its artifact ability was purple spikes, and some artifact traits revolved around sending some kind of shadowy waves.
    Guess I missed that on my playthru of the Warrior Order Hall campaign as my Warrior is predominantly Fury. Good catch.

It would make sense to me if they're saving the Axe of Cenarius for the eventual True Final Fight To End All Fights with Sargeras.

Being made by a demigod, the Axe of Cenarius definitely seems like a demigod level weapon -- like, an axe Cenarius might wield, if he had half a mind to. I do think the power scaling of demigods was respected a lot more earlier in the lore, and as a result a demigod weapon being wielded by one of the mightiest warriors the Orcs had ever known would kind of elevate Brox if he wasn't already basically revered as a demigod in a kind of loa-like fashion of being a Hero of his people, to be enough to wound a god. Demigods wound gods is probably the logic I imagine was being used there, as a way to kind of establish the power gap between a being like Sargeras and a demigod like Cenarius. I think something to keep in mind for the setting then is that Elune's magic was probably being scaled to be effective against negative forces like Archimonde, and that demon and chaotic forces were probably best countered by Elune which may have granted Tyrande that extra protection. And it could be that even the will of Elune was that Brox was able to break it for whatever reason.

In terms of demigod power being drawn from Azeroth, it's also true that demigods can reside of the Emerald Dream and even to an extent reside in the Shadowlands' realm of death Ardenweald. Specifically druids call on the power of nature, literally the shell of Azeroth, so for Cenarius at least to make a weapon of the shell of Azeroth would imply that the shell of Azeroth is tougher than the flesh of Sargeras even when wielded by a Hero-level native of the world (probably comparable to an antibody) it speaks well to the shell of Azeroth being stronger than Sargeras' flesh. Though, maybe Titans are just really weak in defense, considering Sargeras was able to stab right through all of Azeroth as well so it isn't strictly an issue of Azeroth being tough but maybe rather all Titans being vulnerable. This also makes a bit of sense considering Old Gods being strong enough to lay waste to so many throughout the cosmos when they're supposed to be God level beings rather than Demigod level beings like the Old Gods who aren't really as comparable normally.