Origins of some terms

So i was playing around tonight and people were asking about Pugs etc and it got me thinking.....how did the term Pug come about? Does anybody know? Clearly a slow news day haha

Pick Up Group.
    PUG.

Most things, once you know what the acronym stands for, is almost self-explanatory. If you normally have a steady group of 5 people going into a dungeon, but one of them is sick, you Pick Up a new member somewhere, but it's not really a PU GROUP, just that one individual is a pugger. If you're all alone and you get 4 randoms to join you, you are a true Pick Up Group.

The actual origin of most acronyms is lost to time, but once they make sense, it is irrelevant when they started.

pug = Pick-up group. Group picked up from randoms, afaik.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Not trying to be negative but in 2020 you can just type any acronym into google and instant learn what it means and probably also its origin. If there are multiple similar acronyms, you can add "mmorpg" or "wow" and be done with it.

An interesting part of trivia is that pick up group used to be used for musicians in the 1960s. That's perhaps where it might have been borrowed from
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_group
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick Up Group
    MOBile Entity/Monster/Creep

Aggro - uh . . . aggravation? aggression? Actually not sure where Aggro comes from.
    Putin khuliyo

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    So i was playing around tonight and people were asking about Pugs etc and it got me thinking.....how did the term Pug come about? Does anybody know? Clearly a slow news day haha
    I mean if you google “pug game” literally the first result tells you. Trust in the google search!

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy asks where the term originated, not what it means.

In case of PuG there was that first game where this term became a thing, question is what it was.

- - - Updated - - -

The best I could find is:

"The term comes from way back probably before video games were even around, definitely before online games were around anyway because the term used to be used I recall in my early school days where you would get captains and select teams and pick up players in to the game as they came along.

Actually it dates back to the 1960's, and has nothing to do with games. Instead of using "House Bands" for musical recordings, a music contractor would hire musicians for single recordings. These musicians would be a Pick-up Group.

In MMO's, as much as I hate to attribute anything to WoW, it became a widely popular term for random grouping through the group finder."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The guy asks where the term originated, not what it means.
    The word PUG comes from, and means, Pick Up Group. As I wrote, in many cases the meaning explains the origin of the acronym, so it isn't wrong to explain the meaning instead of telling a backstory. Your quote may be accurate, but isn't necessarily the actual origin of the term when used in gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wondering how the term "kite" or "kiting" came to be the term used in regards to, well, kiting enemies. I don't think I've ever heard it used in real life or applied to anything in real life outside of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dien-Ap-Sten View Post
    I've always wondering how the term "kite" or "kiting" came to be the term used in regards to, well, kiting enemies. I don't think I've ever heard it used in real life or applied to anything in real life outside of gaming.
    You're running with them like a kite, if there's an imaginary string between you and the mobs, it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Pick Up Group

Aggro - uh . . . aggravation? aggression? Actually not sure where Aggro comes from.
    Aggro is now an actual word, but someone I used to raid with told me it's derived from british slang in the 60s for aggravation and aggression. I don't know if it's right, but I thought it was cool.

Back when I played League, people would always say "gg no re" in a snark way and I still don't know what the "no re" is. Is it no rematch or something?

Edit: Just looked up the origin of the term "scrub" and apparently it's been used for centuries to insult people. Amazing
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2020-05-07 at 06:16 PM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dien-Ap-Sten View Post
    I don't see myself as particularly intelligent but how do you not make a connection between the word "kite", the activity of playing with a kite in real life, and what kiting is in wow?

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    Aggro is now an actual word, but someone I used to raid with told me it's derived from british slang in the 60s for aggravation and aggression. I don't know if it's right, but I thought it was cool.

Back when I played League, people would always say "gg no re" in a snark way and I still don't know what the "no re" is. Is it no rematch or something?

Edit: Just looked up the origin of the term "scrub" and apparently it's been used for centuries to insult people. Amazing
    Yeah it's "no rematch" apparently
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xloudman View Post
    You're running with them like a kite, if there's an imaginary string between you and the mobs, it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I don't see myself as particularly intelligent but how do you not make a connection between the word "kite", the activity of playing with a kite in real life, and what kiting is in wow?

Uh, I think I must have brain farted. This a "doh!" moment for sure. Thank you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Pick Up Group

Your sig always cracks me up whenever I see it. Oh the irony.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xloudman View Post
    Was he asking if it made sense?
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Aggro...agressively provoke...

P.U.G...always reminds me of the old daily in MoP (Kun-Lai Summit); " I have selected three challengers for you to face. This may seem unfair... to a weakling. You are not a weakling, correct?"

The comments made by Hackiss, Healiss, and Tankiss during the fight are priceless.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Lol! I learned a lot of new short codes.