Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Smile What does your character's name tell about you?

Hello! I was just curious about people's choices in their character's name. What does it tell about you? What kind of meaning does it have? Does it somehow describe your personality?

Unfortunately, most people end up choosing a name that is actually their 3rd or 4th choice because their first was already taken. Therefore, the name they finally decide on is only a reflection of their true desire.

My main's name is my wife's name, cause I love her (yeah...)
    My alters names are mostly space constellations or planets because I like that theme

It means I read Three Panel Soul back when I created it. I am plagiarist.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Unfortunately, most people end up choosing a name that is actually their 3rd or 4th choice because their first was already taken. Therefore, the name they finally decide on is only a reflection of their true desire.
    Having played for 15 years, having made countless characters across a multitude of servers I can honestly say that I've never experienced that issue.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

My newer chars are typically insults in Latin.

It means that I am an edgy kid.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

What im listening to, every single character.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaralA View Post
    Hello! I was just curious about people's choices in their character's name. What does it tell about you? What kind of meaning does it have? Does it somehow describe your personality?
    Back in the day when I used to play actual roleplaying games (desktop with dice, pencils and paper), I had an archer whom my friends gave the nickname "rail bow" - basically a combination of railgun and a bow.

So when I decided to roll a hunter in WoW, it seemed like a cool homage to that. I spelt it a bit differently in WoW, but that's where it's from.

Also I have named my cat type pets after my real life cats.

Lastly, when I rolled a Demon Hunter, I named it Imrael, which I thought was quite clever given that it sounds like a good demon name and also, if you look at it, says "I'm Rael"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have gone the random route. With the exception of 3 toons out of 15 years, every one of my toons has gotten their name from the random button.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    This is one of the benefits with coming up with custom names, there is a very little chance name will be taken if that name was just made up.

What does the character's name tells about me, I don't know maybe that made it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    My two main names I've used for my original characters have been Shardheart for my warlock and Shankwell for my rogue.

Shardheart due to.. well soul shards, and then the implication that my undead had a sad past due to me being one of those ol' pen and paper D&D lads.
    Shankwell due to shanking and doing it well.

I'm not an imaginative man.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest, Deltrus was the first name I came up with. At the time I could only find one other Deltrus on the Armory, it was a Draenei Mage, I think, on another server. I was Deltrus of Thunderhorn and that name started out not meaning a ton.

The first time it really felt like something? I was in this guild, <Bloodline> and really loved my fellow players. One day I finally got a headset and was able to log into the WoW voice client to run Blackrock Depths with my guildies... hearing these people go "Deltrus!" "Del!" "Hey Delt!" "Woohoo, Deltrus is here!" was amazing. I'd given these people an identity and they knew me by it. Something I had chosen, not what was given to me, people were using. What a feeling.

So what does it mean? Idk, what is in a name? I say it means, me. As cliched and weird sounding as that is. It means my experiences playing my character, the ups and downs.

I think it started looking at the Dell PC I was playing on, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Back in the day when I used to play actual roleplaying games (desktop with dice, pencils and paper), I had an archer whom my friends gave the nickname "rail bow" - basically a combination of railgun and a bow.

So when I decided to roll a hunter in WoW, it seemed like a cool homage to that. I spelt it a bit differently in WoW, but that's where it's from.

Also I have named my cat type pets after my real life cats.

Lastly, when I rolled a Demon Hunter, I named it Imrael, which I thought was quite clever given that it sounds like a good demon name and also, if you look at it, says "I'm Rael"
    I like this story, thanks for sharing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mix of western inspired self-created names and mix of japanese words or deity names.

The common theme across my character names is music because I named them after bands, albums (or songs) i love and luckily i'm on a server where both my favorite bands were available as names. However sometimes names are taken and then I gotta improvise with album names or song names or what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Warcraft 3 came out I wrote some fan fiction in the warcraft universe about a Human Mage called Orberon. They were short stories, one about sailing to Kalimdor and his adventures on the seas, and the other was just a typical night at a tavern in Theramore story.

The name Orberon derived from Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' as a charterer in that is called Oberon I just added an 'r' because I am super clever like that.

And when WoW came out I created that human mage and the name wasnt taken either, so 'hooray' I guess. He has been my main for 15 years this December

I also would go on to create a Paladin called McBeth, albiet the original spelling MacBeth also from Shakespeare :P

It started off innocently with cow and beef pins on my Tauren characters. I sometimes take foriegn languages associated with my heritage that equate to the class itself. Then sometimes I make meme names like Cark(Mark with a C).

My main is named after an island my family owns and its my generic nickname for all games. My alts are random and usually I start with a random letter and try to theme it around there....

Some examples:

Tiarua - Paladin
    Kavaiger - Hunter
    Skelzyn - dh

Etc

Lassitude
    /ˈlasɪtjuːd/
    noun
    a state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy.
    "she was overcome by lassitude and retired to bed"
    ^ for my Rogue.

Charließ for my Demon Hunter. If you get it, you get it.

Soisoisoi for my Monk (previously different classes prior to Monk). No explanation needed.

Umbra for my Priest.

Justshockin for my Shaman.

Saevio for Warrior.

Skeybestkey for Hunter.

So to answer the question, either some form of latin meaning or a random meme. Too many people have copied my names already though, unoriginal pricks. Was literally the first in EU for all of (except Umbra? iirc) these names according to armoury.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2020-05-08 at 11:29 AM.

I try to pick a name that I think fit the race.
    For example:
    Perudo - Dwarf priest
    Dargot - Tauren shaman
    Zalkaz - Troll warrior

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen