Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    The video ad is just horrible

    That video on the bottom-right corner is the worst thing ever seen in the advertising world. I had to disable Javascript to get rid of it and that's a shame, MMOChampion.

  2. #2
    Using a free service does not mean the cost to have that service running is free. Keep that in mind before you post such drivel.

  3. #3
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,556
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Using a free service does not mean the cost to have that service running is free. Keep that in mind before you post such drivel.
    Also doesn't mean they're allowed to have super annoying ads. Banner ads have been doing just fine for the past.. Well, however long MMO-C has been a thing

  4. #4
    Nobody said it needs to be free. But if you start throwing videos at my face I'll stop everything until you too stop. Seeing the same crap over and over is not going to convince me to spend money. Also, it randomly displays useless videos such as the one I am seeing now about patch 8.2... What the hell?

    https://i.imgur.com/oCyz6P3.png

    That's on Microsoft Edge, no adblockers

  5. #5
    For anyone using ublock, ||anyclip.com^$3p

    You are welcome.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Using a free service does not mean the cost to have that service running is free. Keep that in mind before you post such drivel.
    I mean, I personally run adblocker. Sue me.

    Why? Much of it because many sites put up absolutely obnoxious ads that should not be a thing in 2020 and auto-playing ad videos are THE worst, nobody is going to tolerate that shit.

    Google even changed their policies to address specifically autoplay videos and the sites still find a way to sneak this shit in.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-05-08 at 01:50 PM.

  7. #7
    I agree it’s an extremely annoying advert.

    Don’t mind any of the other ads but one that overlays the screen regardless of where you scroll is particularly irritating.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Using a free service does not mean the cost to have that service running is free. Keep that in mind before you post such drivel.
    You are wrong thinking that this site doesn't have enough visitors compared to running the server payments. Invasive ads make more money. It has absolutely nothing to do with being even on running the forums.

  9. #9
    Its funny that people find such trivial things that annoying.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobMarley View Post
    I agree it’s an extremely annoying advert.

    Don’t mind any of the other ads but one that overlays the screen regardless of where you scroll is particularly irritating.
    Agreed, and like a sucker I'd actually given them ad block amnesty cause I felt bad for them. Now it's all disabled.

    If these videos were even remotely timely/relevant it would be a different story. But I don't need a video for the 8.2.5 war campaign story on my first visit, and then something for a completely different game for my second.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLoque View Post
    That video on the bottom-right corner is the worst thing ever seen in the advertising world. I had to disable Javascript to get rid of it and that's a shame, MMOChampion.
    Just use uBlock and block the domain.

  12. #12
    Legendary! Nnyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haomarush
    Posts
    6,679
    Use obnoxious ads, get adblocked. Easy as that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Use obnoxious ads, get adblocked. Easy as that.
    Do you actually go out of your way to whitelist sites? Hell, do people actually use adblockers *just* to block "obnoxious" ads and not to... block all ads?

  14. #14
    Legendary! Nnyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haomarush
    Posts
    6,679
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Do you actually go out of your way to whitelist sites? Hell, do people actually use adblockers *just* to block "obnoxious" ads and not to... block all ads?
    Certain sites i want to support, I do indeed give em a pass, since the service they provide is afterall not free for them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhanzai View Post
    Its funny that people find such trivial things that annoying.
    Such trivial things are being used as backdoors to infect the pc of people who think they are trivial.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Everyone simply blanket blocklists ads because it really gets out of hand too easy. Its a cheap excuse to claim that booohooo I have costs to run this shit I offer you for free. Nothing is offered for free. Even with adblockers I ve never seen a website go bankrupt. This means its really a non issue and they just squeeze every last bit they can. Adblocks and anti-trackers all the way.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Do you actually go out of your way to whitelist sites? Hell, do people actually use adblockers *just* to block "obnoxious" ads and not to... block all ads?
    I mean, I am not going to pretend I'm some defender of righteousness here.

    I run uBlock Origin 24/7/365 and much of it exactly because the abusive nature of many ads. Maybe in the future in 2040 when ads will get a proper regulation, I'll lift it, but right now with this ads Wild West where every shitty site feels like it can push it however the fuck they want? Nope.

  17. #17
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,556
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Do you actually go out of your way to whitelist sites? Hell, do people actually use adblockers *just* to block "obnoxious" ads and not to... block all ads?
    I whitelist sites if I want to support them and they don't have obnoxious ads.. Sadly most sites belong in at least 1 of those categories.

    Hell, if I really want to support sites I'm open to paying for "premium" or whatever to not have ads, as long as the price is acceptable.

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire terminaltrip421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    [A] Azuremyst <US>
    Posts
    405
    uproxx I think is a lesson in what not to do. they weren't content with banner ads, did a site overhaul for the sake of pushing max advertisements and now the portion I visit is a ghost town compared to what it was. virtually if not always 0 comments where there used to be threaded conversations.

  19. #19
    adverts that have sound and/or video or are otherwise intrusive are the reason adblock software is so popular. few people will bother to install adblockers when they're reasonable just as most people won't bother to mute the TV during a commercial break. but if the adverts are annoying enough then more people will take measures to avoid them

  20. #20
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    19,002
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLoque View Post
    That video on the bottom-right corner is the worst thing ever seen in the advertising world. I had to disable Javascript to get rid of it and that's a shame, MMOChampion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Also doesn't mean they're allowed to have super annoying ads. Banner ads have been doing just fine for the past.. Well, however long MMO-C has been a thing
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...orting-bad-ads
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •