Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The video ad is just horrible

That video on the bottom-right corner is the worst thing ever seen in the advertising world. I had to disable Javascript to get rid of it and that's a shame, MMOChampion.

Using a free service does not mean the cost to have that service running is free. Keep that in mind before you post such drivel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Using a free service does not mean the cost to have that service running is free. Keep that in mind before you post such drivel.
    Also doesn't mean they're allowed to have super annoying ads. Banner ads have been doing just fine for the past.. Well, however long MMO-C has been a thing

Nobody said it needs to be free. But if you start throwing videos at my face I'll stop everything until you too stop. Seeing the same crap over and over is not going to convince me to spend money. Also, it randomly displays useless videos such as the one I am seeing now about patch 8.2... What the hell?

https://i.imgur.com/oCyz6P3.png

That's on Microsoft Edge, no adblockers

For anyone using ublock, ||anyclip.com^$3p

You are welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I personally run adblocker. Sue me.

Why? Much of it because many sites put up absolutely obnoxious ads that should not be a thing in 2020 and auto-playing ad videos are THE worst, nobody is going to tolerate that shit.

Google even changed their policies to address specifically autoplay videos and the sites still find a way to sneak this shit in.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-05-08 at 01:50 PM.

I agree it’s an extremely annoying advert.

Don’t mind any of the other ads but one that overlays the screen regardless of where you scroll is particularly irritating.

You are wrong thinking that this site doesn't have enough visitors compared to running the server payments. Invasive ads make more money. It has absolutely nothing to do with being even on running the forums.

Its funny that people find such trivial things that annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobMarley View Post
    I agree it’s an extremely annoying advert.

Don’t mind any of the other ads but one that overlays the screen regardless of where you scroll is particularly irritating.
    Agreed, and like a sucker I'd actually given them ad block amnesty cause I felt bad for them. Now it's all disabled.

If these videos were even remotely timely/relevant it would be a different story. But I don't need a video for the 8.2.5 war campaign story on my first visit, and then something for a completely different game for my second.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLoque View Post
    That video on the bottom-right corner is the worst thing ever seen in the advertising world. I had to disable Javascript to get rid of it and that's a shame, MMOChampion.
    Just use uBlock and block the domain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use obnoxious ads, get adblocked. Easy as that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Use obnoxious ads, get adblocked. Easy as that.
    Do you actually go out of your way to whitelist sites? Hell, do people actually use adblockers *just* to block "obnoxious" ads and not to... block all ads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Do you actually go out of your way to whitelist sites? Hell, do people actually use adblockers *just* to block "obnoxious" ads and not to... block all ads?
    Certain sites i want to support, I do indeed give em a pass, since the service they provide is afterall not free for them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I am not going to pretend I'm some defender of righteousness here.

I run uBlock Origin 24/7/365 and much of it exactly because the abusive nature of many ads. Maybe in the future in 2040 when ads will get a proper regulation, I'll lift it, but right now with this ads Wild West where every shitty site feels like it can push it however the fuck they want? Nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    I whitelist sites if I want to support them and they don't have obnoxious ads.. Sadly most sites belong in at least 1 of those categories.

Hell, if I really want to support sites I'm open to paying for "premium" or whatever to not have ads, as long as the price is acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    uproxx I think is a lesson in what not to do. they weren't content with banner ads, did a site overhaul for the sake of pushing max advertisements and now the portion I visit is a ghost town compared to what it was. virtually if not always 0 comments where there used to be threaded conversations.

adverts that have sound and/or video or are otherwise intrusive are the reason adblock software is so popular. few people will bother to install adblockers when they're reasonable just as most people won't bother to mute the TV during a commercial break. but if the adverts are annoying enough then more people will take measures to avoid them

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLoque View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Also doesn't mean they're allowed to have super annoying ads. Banner ads have been doing just fine for the past.. Well, however long MMO-C has been a thing
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...orting-bad-ads
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

FWIW, the ad goes away when you are logged in and we are working on making the close button more visible.

This ad just replaces one that has been there for over a year. Both were sticky corner video ads. I'll look in to keeping it closed for a while once you hit the close button.