The Manta, the Behemoth of the Deep

The Manta, the Behemoth of the Deep, was a creature ten times the size and strength of a dragon. It was believed that, like Deathwing, the Manta was unstoppable.[1] The Manta was killed one hundred years before the Second War with an arrow covered in three drops of a black liquid from a vial
    So what is this thing? Found it on the wowwiki many years ago.

It's one of the mysteries of WoW, I don't think we have more information about the creature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Probably a Wild God, and perhaps the progenitor of some of WoW's colossal deep-sea lifeforms.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    May never know, underwater exploration is a done deal I'd think(Me sad)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It's just some crap Knaak created. I don't think the WoW Dev Team even remember about this crap.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

just think of it as the galakrond of giant sea creatures lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenzstein View Post
    It's just some crap Knaak created. I don't think the WoW Dev Team even remember about this crap.
    don't look too much of crap, just th way it was killed apparently.

5+ Year Old Account
    It is referenced on a couple of quests in Vanilla/Classic though, including one of the chain of quests from Loramus in the Blasted Lands. But yeah, it's all very obscure.

I like to think it sired some of the biggest sea creatures in WoW, such as Nespirah in Vash'jir... Speaking of which, sea zones appear to be definitely out of the picture. At least in their "true" incarnation, since Nazjatar doesn't really count as a sea zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

5+ Year Old Account
    The manta like the ancient one, (https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Ancient_One_(Hearthstone), can be used later on for whenever Blizz decides to bring back the old gods.

Both of which would be great raid bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I read the line “killed with three drops of black liquid from a vial” in the OP my mind immediately went to “sounds like the kind of vague nonsense knaak would write.” And sure enough...

To the OP’s point... it’s probably nothing, and may indeed never come up in WoW. Knaak takes an occasional page from the HP lovecraft book of expository writing in just throwing out vague, half-described things that try to assert their own importance despite having no context. That goes for both the “unstoppable manta” that means nothing to the plot and the “vial of black liquid” capable of stopping it that’s never addressed again or given any broader significance in the narrative.

It works for lovecraft (most of the time; dream quest of unknown kadath is real rough to get through) because what he’s describing is supposed to be vague and ominous and usually ends up being important and given some degree of context within the overarching story. But when it’s just rank, self-insistent information being tossed out that doesn’t mean anything like this, it’s just a hollow attempt at world building. Hence why I don’t think it’ll come up again.

The best chance manta has of coming back is that blizzard just so happens to be planning some underwater threat, and some dude on the team happens to remember this throwaway character to be a Raid boss or some such. But seeing as we’ve had throne of the tides, vash’jir, nazjatar, Helheim, and maw of souls as “evil ocean threats” without a whisper of this manta thing, I wouldn’t hold my breath.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.