Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I turn my computer off every time I go sleep and then first thing I do when I wake up is to turn it on.

I dont like it making noise next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Well yeah, it handles sleep right.. But that doesn't clear RAM. Which can cause issues.
    Possibly, but until I feel the lack of RAM there is no point in rebooting. Usually closing and opening web browser is enough to clear a few gigz of ram.
    Also, the "doesn't clear RAM" is usually caused by programs keeping more RAM than they need, because there is no lack of it. But the moment RAM runs out most of those programs nicely free most of the memory.

In any case, sitting at 32 GBs I haven't ran out yet.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Possibly, but until I feel the lack of RAM there is no point in rebooting. Usually closing and opening web browser is enough to clear a few gigz of ram.
    Also, the "doesn't clear RAM" is usually caused by programs keeping more RAM than they need, because there is no lack of it. But the moment RAM runs out most of those programs nicely free most of the memory.

In any case, sitting at 32 GBs I haven't ran out yet.
    It's not that you'll run out, it's that the RAM will error out, or cause issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    That's not how computers work. Many of us don't use them just for one thing at a time. When you use your computer to do real work, getting your work environment set back up is a bit of a hassle.
    Not for my work. I do video editing, and it's pretty simple to open back up. Just open the project file and the source folder and that's 90% of it

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Dude. Do you never clean your house? Do you not own a vacuum? How is your computer gathering so much dust inside?

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, any house is going to have dust inside. No matter how often you vacuum your floors. Unless your have a air filtration whole house system and your house is sealed with Ceranwrap. Which is not healthy by the way. Open your computer up and check. I think you will be surprised.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Every night. It boots in 5 sec so no reason not to shut it off.

With an SSD my PC starts up in 3 seconds. I shut it off for the night everynight. Even when I had no SSD i did the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensea View Post
    With an SSD my PC starts up in 3 seconds. I shut it off for the night everynight. Even when I had no SSD i did the same.
    3 seconds my arse, why do people feel the need to exaggerate startup time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Last night.

It's healthier for the PC (there's a reason "did you turn it off and on again" is often the first question from an IT guy), it's healthier for the environment (no power consumption > small power constumption), and there's just no reason at all to keep it on for the vast majority of the population.

I shut it down if i have work the next day, I leave it on if I don't.

Every night

In college when I had a shitty hard drive? Nearly never. Now that I have an SSD? When I go to bed.

I shut it off everynight

3+ Year Old Account
    Yesterday when I couldn't get Battle.net to open, and because Blender also froze
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

PC whenever I leave the house, or go to bed.

Macbooks I merely close the lid.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    3 seconds my arse, why do people feel the need to exaggerate startup time.
    My computer starts off a M2 card, it takes about 3 seconds to start up, why do people feel the need to show their ass in the comments section. If youre poor and booting of a regular HDD thats fine but dont speak on shit you dont know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    My computer starts off a M2 card, it takes about 3 seconds to start up, why do people feel the need to show their ass in the comments section. If youre poor and booting of a regular HDD thats fine but dont speak on shit you dont know.
    It really doesn't. It's like 5-10 seconds if you actually turn it off.

Usually every night but sometimes I go for a week without doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    What do you mean by "starts off". Boot after shutdown? After hibernation? Waking up from sleep?
    It takes literally 5 seconds for my pc, after pressing power button, to get to windows login screen from sleep. Please don't say it's because of my hard drive.
    When booting up after shutdown, after 5 seconds at most I will see bios screen.

It's very difficult to believe anyone can boot up from full shutdown in 3 seconds.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    What do you mean by "starts off". Boot after shutdown? After hibernation? Waking up from sleep?
    I made the same mistake as well, I think he's saying "My computer loads off of a M.2 drive"

It's very difficult to believe anyone can boot up from full shutdown in 3 seconds.
    What if he's running Arch Linux :P Then he can get to his desktop in under 3 seconds lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I even shut it down a few times a day.

I mean turning it on takes like 5 seconds?
    Damn, even 10 seconds isn't that high for me, while people are discussing if 3 or 5 seconds is possible/short enough, lol.