Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    There's plenty of room for games ARPG. Mostly because PoE is moreso a spreadsheet simulator and I don't have enough autism to care to sim myself 20x a week just to have fun in a game.

Games like D3, 40k Inquisitor: Martyr, Last Epoch, Grim Dawn are all actual fun games instead.
    True, I can't think myself. I see green number I equip Item. Big gains. Nice gameplay. Such depth.

PoE is like the n'th clone of Diablo2 (only diff being instead of skill trees with 20 options you have 100 options), PoE like games do not exist, only Diablo like games

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    I don't think there is room PoE-like games (hack and slash). Chaosbane wasn't that succesful and D3 was also fail. Can't see how D4 is going to success.
    I thought you were joking but then I read more of the thread. You do know that PoE is a Diablo-like game as you would put it, right? That the guys who made PoE were just fans of Diablo 2 and decided to pay homage to it by making their own Diablo 2 style game. D2 remaster and Diablo 4 will probably be great in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    There's plenty of room for games ARPG. Mostly because PoE is moreso a spreadsheet simulator and I don't have enough autism to care to sim myself 20x a week just to have fun in a game.

Games like D3, 40k Inquisitor: Martyr, Last Epoch, Grim Dawn are all actual fun games instead.
    I played PoE without ever looking up any guides or builds and I had fun with it, for like 50 hours, then played another 50 but was already bored of it. I have 30+ years of gaming experience though. Played so many games by now I have seen everything and one way or the other you can extrapolate mechanics from other games. Like all these multiplier and additive/multiplicative mathematics are so easy to grasp by now in "complex" aRPG, it's really easy to get behind. Even PoE is not balanced around making a perfect build, you can fully experience most of it's content with sub-optimal paths. In fact, all games are like that except hardcore platformers where every minuscule mistake ends in a game-over. From my experience, very few games are truly hardcore that punish you immensely by resetting progress by default. Sure, you can play HC aRPG but it's a choice, not the default experience. All in all, to me aRPG are pretty casual to play with little frustration. Any racing, FPS or Platformer is more hardcore than an aRPG. Having to grind a lot is not hardcore, it's simply time consuming. Having a lot of time is no skill to me. (Even though I do have a lot of time)
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2021-04-12 at 11:41 AM.

Diablo is a game for the mobile gamer audience. No need for indepth knowledge, no decision making and thinking. Blizzard says how you have to play and thats it. No room for creativity.

Just compare new seasons.
    in Diablo you level for 2-3 hours, then get all the core items in the next 4 hours and you are basically done with the game. 2-3games and the season is over. Everything after that is get x% stronget to do the same content with x% of mob hp.

Poe you level(annoying) for 4-8 hours and then the real game starts with weeks of content.
    There is a reason that you need like 1000+ hours in poe to really call yourself not an idiot.

It just depends if you are a mobile/mindless/console player or want to invest into a game.

i think this thread proves there is plenty of room, people like different ARPG's for different reasons.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is room for PoE-like games, they just have to try something else than PoE.

Like Torchlight. Sure, its done poorly right now with Torchlight 3, but the idea is there and it is different enough in its construction to stand out.

The same with D3(and maybe D4). They are built different and can feel like their own game.

PoE is a very good game and it does what it does brilliant, but if you are not into insanely huge and complex talent-trees and don't enjoy the node-system, then the other games gets its audience form there.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    I don't think there is room PoE-like games (hack and slash). Chaosbane wasn't that succesful and D3 was also fail. Can't see how D4 is going to success.
    Any game if done well enough will make room for itself. (Early) D3 failed because it had massive flaws. POE has gotten stale for some people and many players want "POE 2" to release. If D4 is actually well done and brings some minor innovation it is poised for success by brand name alone. Can Blizzard pull it off? Entirely different question. But don't assume failure is a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    KEKW
    dead game is better than a constantly updated game

next level of idiocy in this thread
    PoE is shit.

PoE gets more players with each new league release. More streamers are trying or playing it, as the viewership increasea. Also some people are fed up of PoE, due to bugs and performance, major hopes being put on Last Epoch. So, there is more room.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    PoE is shit.[/SIZE]
    The reason being?

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Is D2-RE not locked to 25fps to keep the combat engine 1:1?
    AFAIK stats and animation frames are connected, thats the whole beauty of it, you actually see what happens with hit recovery, AIS etc.
    Underlying mechanics run at 25fps, but not the updated visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    The reason being?
    the reason he thought he'd get me triggered with his nobrainer message

I'm excited for PoE 2, hopefully it allows new players to get into it without having a PhD in analytics like the first one.

I've tried many ARPG's and I'm still looking for one that has the fluid and visceral combat of Diablo 3, D3 is a very mediocre game at this point, fun for a few days at the start of each season but that's it. The only problem is, like pretty much every Blizzard game, the gameplay and mechanics are just the best in the industry. I can't play all these other weird and clunky games when the only thing I'm thinking is how much better it would be if it was like D3.

It's like playing other MMORPG's when you've played WoW, all you can think about is how much worse the gameplay feels than WoW.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

ITT people that didn't take the time to understand the game. Gotta have it spoonfed like Diablo huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    KEKW
    dead game is better than a constantly updated game

next level of idiocy in this thread
    A completed game will always be better then something that keeps filling up with bloat. Bloated systems upon bloated systems

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    The reason being?
    Honestly, I don't find one shotting everything on the entire screen at all points in time fun. I feel like should work up to being able to obliterate the screen, not from the get go. The games huge customization and build diversity for me gets thrown out the window since I'm doing the same thing just in a different way since everything on the screen dies instantly. That gameplay isn't my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Poe you level(annoying) for 4-8 hours and then the real game starts with weeks of content.
    There is a reason that you need like 1000+ hours in poe to really call yourself not an idiot.
    It's still just an Action-RPG game.

The charm of action-RPGs like Diablo is that you can bring in a new player for a quick game and they are able to have fun without the "1000+ hours of introduction".

Play what ever you like.
    Keep in mind, not everyone is bored to death at work, so its fine to do something else and usually Action-RPGs are great for social gaming and it helps if the games are just fun without beeing to demanding.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    I liken Diablo to a "casual player" game and PoE to the more "hardcore" crowd of gamers.

They're both good in their own right and cater to different audiences. I tend to play both as I enjoy both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Is D2-RE not locked to 25fps to keep the combat engine 1:1?
    AFAIK stats and animation frames are connected, thats the whole beauty of it, you actually see what happens with hit recovery, AIS etc.
    The D2R runs the original game with a 3D visual veneer on top. The mechanics still run at 24 frames, while the graphics run at 60. It's also why the 3D version looks like the characters are running in water a bit.