Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    The blizzcon 2020 surprise reveal was leaked extra early this year i guess

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I think they simply realized BFA was unsalvagable because it would have required too much work on too many core aspects to fix. So they put it on simmer while they cook up the future.

    As far as the social aspect goes... that's just a consequence of the internet becoming such a central part of people's lives, and how that affected the way we use it. We don't need things like WoW as social media platforms, because we have actual social media platforms for that now. Instead, WoW other role - as a game - is emphasized, and social aspects becomes less important. People just want to play, not deal with social networking.
    So same thing that happened with WoD. Which means Shadowlands will probably be good and the expansion after will suck as they keep repeating the same mistakes.

    Also bothers me that he fraised people playing non-min/max'd builds as playing the game wrong. WoW was an mmoRPG and is why I've played more private servers and classic than retail since MoP. Since MoP it has become more and more like an arcade game where you have little control over customizing your playstyle. I get more enjoyment out of WoW playing hybrid/non-viable builds when i do solo content and dungeons. If things get serious, sure, I'll switch to a viable/min-max'd build. At least in classic to wrath i had the OPTION to do so.

  3. #23
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The one and only, Evolving Azeroth! (and Sweden)
    Posts
    26,456
    People still burping that BfA went down the same way as WoD are ignorant of both past and present.
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚ ゚・⭑
    If it ain't Makaronpudding, I ain't interested!

  4. #24
    Ion is a fine game director and makes great raids, but he is also extremely introverted and really doesn't understand the social aspect whatsoever. He shouldn't really comment on it.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Orisai View Post
    Blizzard developers already said that a Diablo II remaster would be impossible, as they lost the original assets, and (if ever done) they would have to make them again from scratch.

    https://wccftech.com/diablo-ii-remastered-unlikely/
    The thing that confuses me about this is it doesn't explain how Lord of Destruction was made. Surely they needed the source code for D2 to add that in?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd3 View Post
    This recurring idea of WoW being a place people sought out as a tool to talk to strangers is getting now less insane. Not to mention the idea of "no, gamers, you're playing it wrong!" being perhaps the most egotistical thing uttered time after time over the years.
    Of course you're outraged lol.

    We WERE all playing the game wrong. I'd say it's more egotistical ( or naive ) of you to think otherwise.
    There was a small group playing at a high level at the top. The majority were plebs.

  7. #27
    I'm sooooo PUMPED for Diablo 2 remaster!!!!!! Can't Wait!!!!

    This should hold me until Diablo 4 DDDDDD

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Orisai View Post
    Blizzard developers already said that a Diablo II remaster would be impossible, as they lost the original assets, and (if ever done) they would have to make them again from scratch.

    https://wccftech.com/diablo-ii-remastered-unlikely/

    It's hard to believe when they were saying that for Vanilla too and then miraculously they managed to do it. Plus, A remaster of D2 wouldn't really be just an upping of the sprites, it would need to be more of a remake to make it even worth the time unfortunately.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmach View Post
    Also bothers me that he fraised people playing non-min/max'd builds as playing the game wrong.
    I think he meant 'wrong' as in 'non-optimally in terms of objective criteria'. I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

    And there's a real connection between the lower sociability and min/maxing, because you're more likely to be tolerant of mistakes if you get something else from people in return, e.g. social interaction. If you don't value social interaction, then the direct consequence in that equation is that mistakes become less tolerated. I.e. the more random groups you have, the more you expect people to not waste your time by performing poorly. There's nothing WoW-specific about that, it's a natural result from the factors involved.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Ion is a fine game director and makes great raids, but he is also extremely introverted and really doesn't understand the social aspect whatsoever. He shouldn't really comment on it.
    Having spoken to him for 2+ hours in person he isn't quite the extrovert but also not the introvert you want to see him as.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmach View Post
    Also bothers me that he fraised people playing non-min/max'd builds as playing the game wrong. WoW was an mmoRPG and is why I've played more private servers and classic than retail since MoP. Since MoP it has become more and more like an arcade game where you have little control over customizing your playstyle. I get more enjoyment out of WoW playing hybrid/non-viable builds when i do solo content and dungeons. If things get serious, sure, I'll switch to a viable/min-max'd build. At least in classic to wrath i had the OPTION to do so.
    He's not even vaguely wrong, people are trained by how the community interacts with the game to almost instinctively min-max. You can't even argue "oh that only happened in cata/mop/wod/whateverexpacIsubjectivelydislike", there has always been desirable specs and classes and profs and racials, there has always been cookie-cutter builds and since at least TBC there have been guides explaining how to deliver that experience.

    It's not even blizzards 'fault' (if you perceive optimisation to be a bad thing) it's 1000% on the community.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I think they simply realized BFA was unsalvagable because it would have required too much work on too many core aspects to fix. So they put it on simmer while they cook up the future.

    As far as the social aspect goes... that's just a consequence of the internet becoming such a central part of people's lives, and how that affected the way we use it. We don't need things like WoW as social media platforms, because we have actual social media platforms for that now. Instead, WoW other role - as a game - is emphasized, and social aspects becomes less important. People just want to play, not deal with social networking.
    That was of their making. Beta has hundreds of responses to large problems that the dev team (not sure if its one person in particular) ignored. They had to slap band-aids on almost every system because BFA was so trash, esp. at launch.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane-Thunder-God View Post
    I'm sooooo PUMPED for Diablo 2 remaster!!!!!! Can't Wait!!!!

    This should hold me until Diablo 4 DDDDDD
    I wouldn't be pumped. Not after what they did to Warcraft 3.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    That was of their making. Beta has hundreds of responses to large problems that the dev team (not sure if its one person in particular) ignored. They had to slap band-aids on almost every system because BFA was so trash, esp. at launch.
    Oh, for sure. This did not come about by accident. They pushed too hard, and got themselves into a mess. And instead of pulling out, they decided it would be more cost effective to to abandon ship entirely.

  15. #35
    Awesome D2, just hope they don't use the shitty D3 or D4 engines. That would totally ruin it

  16. #36
    I kind of wish Ion wouldn't do these kinds of interviews as this thread has already proven most players fail to understand what he's saying. Why bother talking about the real reasons WoW is a challenging game to tackle when you can instead seek meaningless internet high fives from total strangers because you have the supremely unique opinion that modern WoW sucks?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Ion is a fine game director and makes great raids, but he is also extremely introverted and really doesn't understand the social aspect whatsoever. He shouldn't really comment on it.
    The irony of this statement being posted by somebody who thinks locking Mythic raid rosters is a good idea is monumentally amusing.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    The article says that the remaster is subcontracted to Vicarious Visions, so looks like it's a different team. So we have a chance
    I don't think Vicarious Visions were also involved in the Spyro Reignited release, but they certainly did a splendid job with Crash Banditcoot N'Sane Trilogy remaster. That said, a remaster of an action platformer is quite different than that of an ARPG, and looking at the kind of games Vicarious Visions have developed/ported over the years, it also seems pretty far out of their wheelhouse.

    I'm a huge D2 fan, and to me the gameplay is still solid enough to warrant continued play. Even if the only change was the support of modern resolutions, I'd play D2 again in a heartbeat. That said, a fresh coat of paint wouldn't hurt either if they can keep the gothic and gloomy aesthetic of the original game.

    Whether developed inhouse or outsourced, news of a D2 remaster is exciting news indeed, so I certainly hope the rumours are true.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmach View Post
    So same thing that happened with WoD. Which means Shadowlands will probably be good and the expansion after will suck as they keep repeating the same mistakes.

    Also bothers me that he fraised people playing non-min/max'd builds as playing the game wrong. WoW was an mmoRPG and is why I've played more private servers and classic than retail since MoP. Since MoP it has become more and more like an arcade game where you have little control over customizing your playstyle. I get more enjoyment out of WoW playing hybrid/non-viable builds when i do solo content and dungeons. If things get serious, sure, I'll switch to a viable/min-max'd build. At least in classic to wrath i had the OPTION to do so.
    Technically since Legion. MoP wasn't even close to having little customization options if you even remembered the expansion. Hell, even WoD let tank specialization's use the DPS ring until it became an "issue" an that's just one added bonus of a customization feature.

  19. #39
    Biggest takeaway that is still gonna fly over peoples heads is that no matter what...we can bring back mid 2000s wow but you cant bring back the mid 2000s

  20. #40
    The Patient LuckyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    North-rhine-westphalia
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Biggest takeaway that is still gonna fly over peoples heads is that no matter what...we can bring back mid 2000s wow but you cant bring back the mid 2000s
    Lol, i actually hoped people would realize this with the release of classic WoW and the experiences playing it now compared to 15 years ago.

    It literally proves it's not the games fault but that someone as a person and the times change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •