Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Yeah, this entire military complex is fucking stupid and a colossal waste of resources. With 1 trillion dollars we could have given every American another 3 #Trump relief payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Lol the shitty f35 just crashed in florida, I hope no poor gators were hurt by that trash!

What's wrong dude, you apply for a pilot slot and get turned down? lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol the shitty f35 just crashed in florida, I hope no poor gators were hurt by that trash!

https://www.rt.com/usa/489152-f-35-crash-florida/

US Air Force F-35 crashes during ‘routine’ training flight in Florida, 2nd loss for base in several days.

20 May, 2020 06:15

A US Air Force F-35 Lightning II combat aircraft was lost during a training mission in Florida. The incident comes just days after another military jet crashed near the same airbase.

The jet belonging to the 58th Fighter Squad crashed at around 9:30pm local time while conducting a “routine” night training flight, Eglin Air Force Base in Florida said.

The pilot ejected to safety and is in stable condition. The crash did not cause any damage on the ground, the airbase noted. An investigation has been launched into the incident.

This is the second aircraft lost at Eglin after a F-22 Raptor fighter crashed on the test and training range last Friday. The pilot also successfully ejected and was rescued.

The F-35 project has a troubled history, with numerous delays in production, and a myriad of design and performance flaws uncovered during testing.

The aircraft’s production was further impeded by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. The plane’s manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, was forced to cut somewhere between 18 and 24 jets from the 141 set to be delivered his year, according to the company’s vice president for the F-35 program, Greg Ulmer, as cited by Defense News.
    Military aircraft crash, I was around for my share of them when I was in the Navy. The F-18 was known as the lawn dart for many years because of it...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

https://www.rt.com/usa/489152-f-35-crash-florida/

US Air Force F-35 crashes during ‘routine’ training flight in Florida, 2nd loss for base in several days.

20 May, 2020 06:15

A US Air Force F-35 Lightning II combat aircraft was lost during a training mission in Florida. The incident comes just days after another military jet crashed near the same airbase.

The jet belonging to the 58th Fighter Squad crashed at around 9:30pm local time while conducting a “routine” night training flight, Eglin Air Force Base in Florida said.

The pilot ejected to safety and is in stable condition. The crash did not cause any damage on the ground, the airbase noted. An investigation has been launched into the incident.

This is the second aircraft lost at Eglin after a F-22 Raptor fighter crashed on the test and training range last Friday. The pilot also successfully ejected and was rescued.

The F-35 project has a troubled history, with numerous delays in production, and a myriad of design and performance flaws uncovered during testing.

The aircraft’s production was further impeded by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. The plane’s manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, was forced to cut somewhere between 18 and 24 jets from the 141 set to be delivered his year, according to the company’s vice president for the F-35 program, Greg Ulmer, as cited by Defense News.
    So are you also arguing the F-22 is trash because it also did crash?

I mean i am no fan of the f-35, not really, i wanted Denmark to buy saab so we could increase the quantity of active jets and reduce costs (compared to f-16 that is) but still..

He will probably argue that something like Su-57 is the best thing ever. Let's not count that the first serial production plane crashed. Or that other MiG's and Su's tend to crash sometimes. Just like Rafale's, Eurofighters, stuff made in China, etc.
    It is obviously only important when F-35/22 does that
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    He will probably argue that something like Su-57 is the best thing ever. Let's not count that the first serial production plane crashed. Or that other MiG's and Su's tend to crash sometimes. Just like Rafale's, Eurofighters, stuff made in China, etc.
    It is obviously only important when F-35/22 does that
    MiGs actually have a very bad reputation for crashing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Arguable. Which ones, by what statistic?
    Take that haters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arguable. Which ones, by what statistic?
    MiG-21 and MiG-23. Over half of India's MiG-21s were lost to accidents. Most MiGs were not heavily flown (India is a major exception), so they had lower flight hours but high rates per 100,000 flight hours.

Granted, most MiG pilots are/were poorly trained and the planes poorly maintained. I do know they are a bitch to maintain when heavily used even if you are a skilled tech compared to Western designs.
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2020-05-22 at 04:35 AM.

MiG-21 and MiG-23. Over half of India's MiG-21s were lost to accidents. Most MiGs were not heavily flown (India is a major exception), so they had lower flight hours but high rates per 100,000 flight hours.

Granted, most MiG pilots are/were poorly trained and the planes poorly maintained. I do know they are a bitch to maintain when heavily used even if you are a skilled tech compared to Western designs.
    Ehh, India is... interesting... country in terms of armed forces. The biggest equipment zoo in the world and culture of "Yes Boss!" leads to problems. I really do not think that they have the discipline and maintenance on level of what USSR/Russia had/has, or Western world, for that matter.

Hard to agree with MiG-21, there is reason why it is/was so popular. I really will blame those on the crew (which, coincidently, is the reason most passenger planes crash).
    MiG-23 on the other hand - Russian wiki has shitload of crashes, around half of which seems to be crew mistakes, not the fault of plane. However, it also notes that the plane was not easy to control and that maintenance was marred in complexity, as per American experience (they got 10 or so of them long time ago). Which makes me think that crew mistakes happened exactly because of that, landing is not easy.
    Both of these are pretty old, gonna guess that variable wing geometry plane was harder to deal with back then in than it is now, much more experience and better built planes.
    Take that haters.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    While that statement is literally correct, it's also worth noting that the reputation is for crashing due to ineffective maintenance (despite being relatively easy to maintain aircraft). It's more of a smear on the reputation of (usually third world) militaries who crash them than the plane designs themselves.

Generally speaking, countries buy MiGs to save money, if they can afford to properly maintain their planes and train their crew they can afford better planes in the first place.

I would expect that all F-35s are well maintained given the exclusive customer list.
    Last edited by caervek; 2020-05-23 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh, India is... interesting... country in terms of armed forces. The biggest equipment zoo in the world and culture of "Yes Boss!" leads to problems. I really do not think that they have the discipline and maintenance on level of what USSR/Russia had/has, or Western world, for that matter.

Hard to agree with MiG-21, there is reason why it is/was so popular. I really will blame those on the crew (which, coincidently, is the reason most passenger planes crash).
    MiG-23 on the other hand - Russian wiki has shitload of crashes, around half of which seems to be crew mistakes, not the fault of plane. However, it also notes that the plane was not easy to control and that maintenance was marred in complexity, as per American experience (they got 10 or so of them long time ago). Which makes me think that crew mistakes happened exactly because of that, landing is not easy.
    Both of these are pretty old, gonna guess that variable wing geometry plane was harder to deal with back then in than it is now, much more experience and better built planes.
    Both the 21 and the 23 have reputations as tricky aircraft to fly, and very unforgiving. The MiG-21 was popular because it was cheap and fast and the USSR would sell to just about anyone. Neither plane was intended to be flown near as much as their Western counterparts. India is interesting because it always flew its planes more than the Soviets, which is one of the reasons they had more crashes. The USAF was not impressed with the maintainability of either aircraft, again stemming from the indention they not be flown as much as Western planes.

The F-111 was introduced in 1967, the F-14 in 1974, and the MiG-23 in 1970. For the US, variable wings improved low speed performance without significant increases in crashes. So, it is more correct to say the Soviets had a harder time dealing with it back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    While that statement is literally correct, it's also worth noting that the reputation is for crashing due to ineffective maintenance (despite being relatively easy to maintain aircraft). It's more of a smear on the reputation of (usually third world) militaries who crash them than the plane designs themselves.

Generally speaking, countries buy MiGs to save money, if they can afford to properly maintain their planes and train their crew they can afford better planes in the first place.

I would expect that all F-35s are well maintained given the exclusive customer list.
    Well, they are intended to be easily maintained when not flown hard and put away wet so to speak.