Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Introversion and extroversion aren't black and white like this.

I'm also equally confused by the idea that advertising appeals to extroverts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Hahaha. Yeah, sure, radio ads for a game that came out in 2004, that'll catch the social "extrovert" demographic. You got it boss.
    Yeah who the hell listens to the radio or watches TV today? I haven't owned a TV since 2004, haven't had any sort of TV service since 1998 (and even then it wasn't mine). And radio? The last time I listened to a radio was in like 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Ion is reaching out to the wrong demographic with his interviews

The people that have been turned off from WoW are the social people. The extroverts. The casuals that liked to play in groups. Touting Torghast is a tremendous mistake. They need to try to grab people who are stuck indoors during Covid-19. I think some radio commercials, maybe a TV ad or two, to sell the general idea of playing, is the correct approach. Also, I'd have rushed out some social content for people to enjoy during the quarantine. These websites are hardcore gamers are there isn't a lot to new audience to capture from that.

They are making a pretty big mistake here.
    How would I know this thread would be another one of your Introverts are evil type posts. We get it people don't want to play with you. How about you stop being a cry baby bitch and change your outlook on life. Introverts are not under your bed trying to kill you or take the game from you.

While I agree that WoW should be advertising a ton right now.

I'd love to see a return of the "I am a X-Race Class" series with people that actually play like Rhonda Rousey, Vin Diesel or Mila Kunis. Maybe not showing their actual characters but at least their classes.

As for the interviews Ion and the rest of the leads are doing, they are meant for the currently playing community and tons of people do watch and check out the various influencers when a new expansion is about to drop. So it's really a good time investment.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Audio only adds dont work for video games, or movies, as both are very VISUAL experiances.
    That is why radio/spotify sell products, and services, as those are tangible things you can understand "I need a new car, i need a plumber"
    Which is why I said it would be pointless.

I think you huff your own farts.
    Torghast looks like a great development in making evergreen content for group and solo play, so even your basic premise is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Who actually even listens to the radio anymore in 2020 other than people who have bought their first car that was built in the late 90's or early 2000's?
    You know, I actually had to look it up. Radio stations are still very common and popular, and are actually continuing to make more and more revenue year over year.

That said, there is a very clear generational gap, and while some younger people might have exposure to radio through situations outside of their direct control, the majority of younger generations prefer streaming, and all evidence suggests that radio will start to decline as younger generations begin to overtake the older generations that still use radio. As it stands right now, both industries are growing, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Extroverts don't really play MMO's...

Grab people by talking about old content in interviews? Grab the people that aren't watching the interviews because they don't follow the game anymore? The extroverts that barely exist in a game that is mostly unsocial now days?

I'm sort of lost on pretty much all of your logic.
    Hi, extrovert casual mythic raider here /wave.

Don’t assume, we are still here. We just tend to end up with all the other extroverts all you nerds are no fun

Torghast is the strongest selling point of this expansion, with Blizzard doing something different and embracing solo content. I'd say it should be pretty up and center when it comes to advertising the game.

Why has no-one tried to find some data about radio listening?

Here come som links instead of "pulled out of my ass numbers":

According to Nielsen:
    https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...dio-landscape/
    Radio is still the medium that the greates percentage of Americans use. 93% of all adults listen to radio weekly.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1330/radio/
    Americans listen 106 minutes of radio per week on average. (2018)
    The radio industry generated 14 billion US$ in revenue in 2018

But radio seems to be on the decline. Found some numbers from my country, Denmark:
    https://mediernesudvikling.slks.dk/f...Radio_2018.pdf

In 2008 the average Dane listened 131 minutes of radio per week. In 2017 it fell to 111 minutes.

If you look a bit deeper at the links then there is no doubt that radio is more used by the "mature" audience:
    19-34 year old Danes listened to 70 minutes of radio per week.
    There is also no doubt that radio loses "users" compared to other media platforms.

But radio is not dead at all.
    And I agree that radio is the last platform that Blizzard should advertise on.

These interviewers should be asking why Blizzard isn't doing more to reach out to former WoW players and draw them back in during the quarantine. Where is the vision? Where is the passion? I mean this isn't some startup indie company. This is World of Warcraft. This game actually penetrated pop culture to a degree. Its a no-brainer that they should have done something. There should have been an ad campaign. TV. Radio. A new game mode to draw social casuals in.

It makes me think Blizz doesn't feel this game is special at all.

They are just going thru the paces of quietly promoting Shadowlands in all the usual boring places.

What the hell man. This company needs a Steve Jobs to kick its ass and get it moving.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Nobody watches TV or listens to radio in 2020. I've seen plenty of ads across the internet for the game in recent months and I think the XP buff (and the current rep buff) is a nice gesture to get some players back who maybe never got their allied races done etc. It doesn't really make sense to splash enormous sums of cash on some TV ad to get players back into the game when we're in the last tier of the expansion and the next one is 6 months away at best.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Ion is reaching out to the wrong demographic with his interviews

The people that have been turned off from WoW are the social people. The extroverts. The casuals that liked to play in groups. Touting Torghast is a tremendous mistake. They need to try to grab people who are stuck indoors during Covid-19. I think some radio commercials, maybe a TV ad or two, to sell the general idea of playing, is the correct approach. Also, I'd have rushed out some social content for people to enjoy during the quarantine. These websites are hardcore gamers are there isn't a lot to new audience to capture from that.

They are making a pretty big mistake here.
    The age of the average WoW player is 28; they do not watch television or listen to the radio.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    These interviewers should be asking why Blizzard isn't doing more to reach out to former WoW players and draw them back in during the quarantine. Where is the vision? Where is the passion? I mean this isn't some startup indie company. This is World of Warcraft. This game actually penetrated pop culture to a degree. Its a no-brainer that they should have done something. There should have been an ad campaign. TV. Radio. A new game mode to draw social casuals in.
    Who cares about this crap lol?

These interviews are for us - we want to know what's coming next, what abilities/items/perks/areas/eyecandy we get next and how we will get it, how the balance will look and how "muh class" plays.

Yeah I totally want streamers that get rare opportunity to interview WoW exec/dev to go ahead and burn 1/6 of that one decent stream on "why u advertise or not advertise wow the way you do hurrr".

It would be an instant eyeroll for everyone who listens in to the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Why is touting it a bad idea? You do know that it is compatible with 1-5 players right? So there's solo content for those who like that and then your can run it in groups if you are in to that as well.

Also, the rest of your post is about spending money and resources on things that might not return enough profits to be worth it.
    Why people keep saying this? People who like solo play. What is this stupid argument? People play solo becouse its path of least resitance. No beocuse its fun and no becouse they enyoj it. Its just esyest way to complete content thats why people play solo. Classic forced grouping becouse thats where game was fun to play regardless of anything. Yes its annoying to find people to play with. But as with everyting in life best stuff always sits outside peoples confort zones. Thats why original devs forced grouping on players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The age of the average WoW player is 28; they do not watch television or listen to the radio.
    Age of avertage wow players is same as back in 2004 which is 17-20y.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Why people keep saying this? People who like solo play. What is this stupid argument? People play solo becouse its path of least resitance. No beocuse its fun and no becouse they enyoj it. Its just esyest way to complete content thats why people play solo. Classic forced grouping becouse thats where game was fun to play regardless of anything. Yes its annoying to find people to play with. But as with everyting in life best stuff always sits outside peoples confort zones. Thats why original devs forced grouping on players.
    People say it because it is true. Sure some do it because it is the path of least resistance, but there are also a ton who enjoy solo play and doing things like that within the game. I know of about 10 or so people personally. So saying no one finds it fun is a bit false.
    Age of avertage wow players is same as back in 2004 which is 17-20y.
    Definitely going to need some sources to back that bit of information up otherwise it is a major assumption.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

- - - Updated - - -

Age of avertage wow players is same as back in 2004 which is 17-20y
    https://electronics.howstuffworks.co...-warcraft1.htm
    "The average player's age is 28, and female players tend to be a few years older than male players.". Fun fact; WoW is even being refered to as "the boomer game".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    The first thing they need to do is get WoW on Steam along with the other mmo's already there which includes; Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Black Desert, EVE Online,etc. At this point Blizzard does not have the reputation for people to come running to try there game because players are not recruiting for them anywhere near what they used to. On Steam its a targeted advertisement to PC players which makes sense when you think about the investment that has to be made in a decent gaming pc to play WoW. The problem with radio is that its too easy to forget what is advertised by the time you get where you are going and TV is for people still stuck in the 90s that want passive entertainment.
    What?

Along with EA(who actually left steam because of this, when you read between the lines) Blizzard would be one of the last companies I could see willing to profit share with one of their competitors. Especially given they already have an established platform.

It COULD help them, but it's just so unlikely it isn't really worth suggesting. We may as well ask Blizzard to hold themselves accountable every time they make mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    https://electronics.howstuffworks.co...-warcraft1.htm
    "The average player's age is 28, and female players tend to be a few years older than male players.". Fun fact; WoW is even being refered to as "the boomer game".
    Fun fact: Nostaliroous did same reasetch on their vannila server and average age was around 20y. So no.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -
    What? This is the dumbest thing i have read in awhile. As someone who plays solo i can tell you for a fact you are wrong as shit. I do it because it is fun, and i like going at my own pace and not being beholden to other players. Im sorry when i log on i dont want to have to hope there are other players around just so i can play the game.

Solo is a much bigger demographic than you think, i recommend opening your mind a little.