Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-str...rk-appearance/

With Star Trek: Strange New Worlds set to explore the Enterprise under Pike's command, could a younger Kirk make an appearance in the series?
    Personally, I don't want to see Kirk in this show. I'm excited about new adventures with a new crew and not very interested in another re-hash of the same old crew. If I want to enjoy more adventure of Kirk and company there's plenty of novels out there to read.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Personally, I don't want to see Kirk in this show. I'm excited about new adventures with a new crew and not very interested in another re-hash of the same old crew. If I want to enjoy more adventure of Kirk and company there's plenty of novels out there to read.
    Agreed. It's like the TV show Gotham. It was billed as a show about Gotham before Batman, with a young Gordon as the lead. But everyone was so bent out of shape that the show eventually just became a show about young Batman, which was never the intent.

I don't want SNW to just be "Young Kirk". Especially when Mount's Pike is such a strong character. I'd be fine with a TINY cameo for Kirk, in the final ever episode, but anything more than that would be too much, for me.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Another show I will be cautiously optimistic for. I haven't hated the new Trek but at the same time I don't really love it either. Lots of ups and downs for me. Hopefully we can get something more steady and even. I really liked the actors in their roles from Discovery that are coming over. So that's a plus.

I could live with a cameo of Kirk as the first officer of another ship, maybe while he was a lieutenant on the Farragut. At any rate, we all know how Pike ends... The last episode of the series could end with Kirk taking command of the Enterprise and meeting Spock.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Agreed. It's like the TV show Gotham. It was billed as a show about Gotham before Batman, with a young Gordon as the lead. But everyone was so bent out of shape that the show eventually just became a show about young Batman, which was never the intent.

I don't want SNW to just be "Young Kirk". Especially when Mount's Pike is such a strong character. I'd be fine with a TINY cameo for Kirk, in the final ever episode, but anything more than that would be too much, for me.
    I liked it, maybe the last season was a bit meh, but overall I think Gotham was awesome! I miss it coming to think of it ...
    -K

Technically it isn't a new crew already. This is the crew from the original Star Trek Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I liked it, maybe the last season was a bit meh, but overall I think Gotham was awesome! I miss it coming to think of it ...
    Yeah, it was a decent show. The last season was a mess, but their version of R'as was excellent, and their Alfred is second only to Michael Caine's.

I was worried that I'd only be able to see the lead as "Ryan from the OC", but within about 3 episodes, he BECAME Gordon, to me.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I could live with a cameo of Kirk as the first officer of another ship, maybe while he was a lieutenant on the Farragut. At any rate, we all know how Pike ends... The last episode of the series could end with Kirk taking command of the Enterprise and meeting Spock.
    Yes, I agree with that. Kirk in the last episode would be absolutely fine with me. That would make sense without being fan service.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Technically it isn't a new crew already. This is the crew from the original Star Trek Pilot.
    :P Ok, so that's technically true but utterly pedantic You know what I meant lol.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

I'd perfer either not retreading this time period and certainly not with the same character.

Still I'll give it a try

Intresting teory/rumor that the announcement was a attempt to get funding for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, and it is not yet funded.

Pike was fantastic. The look of the Enterprise was fantastic. Number One was pretty damn good. Spock was an abysmal embarrassment, as was everything relating to him.

It's a real pity that he's such an important part of that period of time on the Enterprise. Such a show would be significantly better without him as is.
    Last edited by Dunkelzahn; 2020-05-29 at 03:53 AM.

I don't understand the obsession with the past. This is Star Trek.

People wanna see the FUTURE, not the past. Make a show in the 25th century, instead of going back to the times of TOS (or earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

People wanna see the FUTURE, not the past. Make a show in the 25th century, instead of going back to the times of TOS (or earlier).
    That and the obsession of making retro movies, instead of pushing to pioneer new tech.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

And me who thought we were living in the 21st century... TOS time is still the future.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    That and the obsession of making retro movies, instead of pushing to pioneer new tech.
    It seems to be a running theme in the 2 largest sci-fi franchises, instead of reaching for further in the future with more advanced cool looking stuff, they've given up on that. Star wars did do 3 feature films of the future but th tech and futurism cool was very poor, they also did more things in the past (both films and series)

Star trek discovery and the new movies all happen in the past, and continue to do so, but they look more futusitic than the more advanced NG/DS9/Voy - which is lol, but then star trek never really showed us much of future tech proper, like the star wars prequels, until the more recent movies and shows.

Picard is the furthest in the timeline so far, I was a bit disappointed with it, seemed too political and should have focused on actually entertaining with a good story rather than preaching

Discovery should shift to the episodic type star trek, and maybe we get Strange New worlds, also based in the 32nd century, in a recovering Federation utilising new tech like the Iconians gateways - something that really expands their horizon.. I don't know what the obsession is with going to the earlier eras, surely the volume of lore of the Federation really makes what they will be discovering in strange new worlds stuff we already know about. It may cause it to die like Enterprise died.. They need a new frontier, but not a lost ship like voyager, they already did that, but now the future going forward new regions or even new galaxies with the occasional revelation of worlds we never saw. But there might be enough content for a pre-kirk series.

Strange New worlds could have an advantage in exploring that era. The earlier shows never really showed us much of the actual worlds. All the action was ship based - unlike the JJ movies that sometimes showed us futuristic cities, and worlds, including that city like star base - the older shows never really showed us what the civilizations looked like, you had a very poor, low rez picture with far from impressive buildings that tended to look the same throughout the shows, and when they visited worlds, it was ALWAYS natural landscapes they should, even when we visited civilizations, it was like in small village type settings.

Furthermore, not one of the worlds really looked alien, and most of the worlds we are familiar with in name by mention we actually have seen little to nothing of. So Strange new worlds could focus more on the civilizations they find, and exploring the actual worlds than exploring the space between those world. It would have space travel and the occasional space anomaly mystery, there would be enough content to use - afterall, when we meet 22nd, 23rd and 24th century crews, they tend to show us new things onwards and very little of older discoveries.

So I guess it could work in the past if the focus is changed.

I don't thing Strange New Worlds should be ship space exploration focused, but the new worlds they find, and the existing races of the Federation we are familiar with but actually know very little about and seen next to nothing about their worlds. We even know so little of what Earth looks like at that point in time. only the JJ Abrams movies gave us some glimpses.

Things Strange New Worlds Should Be About

Lots of things that can be done:

1. See the cultures and civilizations of existing alpha quadrant races and future ones
    2. Seeing actual alien civilizations - ST:Lower Decks is the only show in the tv series ranges that actually makes you feel the Worlds are alien - the live action shows every where looks like a rural earth location

We know and have seen so little of popular races like Andorans etc,.. even places like Vulcan and the vulcans we see so little off, when the live action shows went htere, it was very unremarkable, and usually just a picture of a city and then zoomed into the rooms.

There is a lot of room for exploration. I imagine they could do Vulcan in a similar way to may renditions of Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    It seems to be a running theme in the 2 largest sci-fi franchises, instead of reaching for further in the future with more advanced cool looking stuff, they've given up on that. Star wars did do 3 feature films of the future but th tech and futurism cool was very poor, they also did more things in the past (both films and series)

Star trek discovery and the new movies all happen in the past, and continue to do so, but they look more futusitic than the more advanced NG/DS9/Voy - which is lol, but then star trek never really showed us much of future tech proper, like the star wars prequels, until the more recent movies and shows.

Picard is the furthest in the timeline so far, I was a bit disappointed with it, seemed too political and should have focused on actually entertaining with a good story rather than preaching
    Star Wars takes place strictly in the past. It was a “Long Time Ago”. They wanted to instantly provoke a feeling of nostalgia. Star Wars isn’t sci-fi no matter how much they want to dress it up.

Star Trek has always been pretty good at showing future “tech” within the limitations of available special effects. S1 Discovery is mostly not any different from TOS in technology. It just looks better but how something looks isn’t indicative of how it works.

There’s no such thing as too political with Star Trek. Interplanetary politics are an essential element of the show. The plot of Picard Season 1 was very good, the execution of that plot left something to be desired.

Nothing left to do but have star trek meet star wars meet Battlestar Galactica.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    LOVED Pike in Disco. Glad to get a whole season with him, fingers crossed it comes to Netflix like Disco does.
    Didn't Discovery go to Netflix because it was dropped by CBS? Or am I mixing it with something else.. Brooklyn Nine Nine, maybe.. Or Lucifer..
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Nothing left to do but have star trek meet star wars meet Battlestar Galactica.
    Who'd win?

The Federation? The Galactic Republic? The Empire? The 12 colonies? Or the Cylons?