Poll: Power Rangers, VR Troopers, or Big Bad Beetleborgs? Which was best?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Voltron where they ripped off the idea from
    They didn't. Voltron came out 83 when GoRanger came out in 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Recently did a rewatch of the "Zordon Era" of Power Rangers. Seriously, that show holds up... Turbo still sucks, obviously, but MMPR and In Space are both excellent.
    List galaxy was pretty good too

- - - Updated - - -

Not even close. Giant battling robots had come a long way in anime and manga before either were ever thought of.

I've only seen the recent netflix voltron series, so I may be uninformed, but you might wanna check this out en.wikipedia org/wiki/Voltron

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Power Rangers hands down. I remember not being into turbo too much but in space was pretty solid from a kid's perspective. Everything after that just wasn't as great.
    In Space was so good, I can still watch it today and enjoy it. Mighty Morphin', not so much. In Space just took things so seriously, the story-telling was engaging and it had a linear arc from beginning to end that just capitalized on like a decade of Power Rangers' story-telling. The Psycho Rangers arc alone was so cool, and Zhane/Silver Ranger's introduction still stands to me as the best sixth ranger intro ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    In Space was so good, I can still watch it today and enjoy it. Mighty Morphin', not so much. In Space just took things so seriously, the story-telling was engaging and it had a linear arc from beginning to end that just capitalized on like a decade of Power Rangers' story-telling. The Psycho Rangers arc alone was so cool, and Zhane/Silver Ranger's introduction still stands to me as the best sixth ranger intro ever.
    I went back and watched in space, the acting was bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that said. But I was only watching the "Zordon Era" so I ducked out before we got to that season. After enjoying my rewatch so much though, I'm tempted to check out a few of the notable post-zordon season. Mostly Lost Galaxy which gets a lot of love and RPM, which seems to be put up beside In Space in terms of quality, and because Eka Darville.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    In Space was so good, I can still watch it today and enjoy it.
    Yup, In Space is EASILY my favourite season of Power Rangers, and that's with absolutely no nostalgia to pave over the cracks, because I never actually watched In Space when it aired (I'd stopped at Turbo. Because... Urg, Turbo). In Space had the best continuity, the best villain, some surprisngly good fights and Cassie. What else could you ask for.

Also, as you noted, the Psycho Ranger arc was staight fire.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    They didn't. Voltron came out 83 when GoRanger came out in 75.
    SON OF Bi... lies all lies I’ve been lied too. All this time I thought PR was the clone.

You’ve rocked my world, good thing I’m sitting down this is going to take time to process

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Not even close. Giant battling robots had come a long way in anime and manga before either were ever thought of.

Yeah well I’m talking about teams in robots coming together to form a bigger robot. Voltron always seemed pretty old so I’m shocked there was anything before it. I was wrong
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

SON OF Bi... lies all lies I’ve been lied too. All this time I thought PR was the clone.

You’ve rocked my world, good thing I’m sitting down this is going to take time to process
    Now I feel bad =(

Yeah, I've heard that said. But I was only watching the "Zordon Era" so I ducked out before we got to that season. After enjoying my rewatch so much though, I'm tempted to check out a few of the notable post-zordon season. Mostly Lost Galaxy which gets a lot of love and RPM, which seems to be put up beside In Space in terms of quality, and because Eka Darville.
    Lost Galaxy was decent, but compared to In Space that it was following it just felt dull at times. If you rewatch it and try to compare it on its own then it's decent. I wish they would've kept the pirate theme for the villians that Gingaman had along with the elemental themes of the rangers. Some of the footage they used in PR didn't make much sense because of how they spliced it unless you saw Gingaman.

Also, as you noted, the Psycho Ranger arc was staight fire.
    Psycho Rangers are by far one of the top things about Space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psycho Rangers are by far one of the top things about Space.
    Yup, they were awesome and the armour design was so good, I wanted the actual rangers to start using them instead XD.

And yes, I'm 100000% behind pirate themed enemies, that would have been great. Honestly, a pirate themed ranger team would be pretty cool, too .

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Yup, they were awesome and the armour design was so good, I wanted the actual rangers to start using them instead XD.
    Oh yeah the armor was amazing too. I just wish they got resurrected they lasted more than an episode. There's a tabletop game of the show and they just announced the Psycho Ranger expansion so going to be getting some mini's of those and painting them.

And yes, I'm 100000% behind pirate themed enemies, that would have been great. Honestly, a pirate themed ranger team would be pretty cool, too .
    This is one of the many reasons why Super Megaforce was terrible. They used suits from Gokaiger which was pirate suits, had the pirate ship and everything and didn't utilize a single thing about the suits or ship. Just "Hey, here are new suits you can access old powers".

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah the armor was amazing too. I just wish they got resurrected they lasted more than an episode. There's a tabletop game of the show and they just announced the Psycho Ranger expansion so going to be getting some mini's of those and painting them.
    Nice, the same friend that got me back into PR is also a huge tabletop games fan, so needless to say, he's going ALL IN for that game!

This is one of the many reasons why Super Megaforce was terrible. They used suits from Gokaiger which was pirate suits, had the pirate ship and everything and didn't utilize a single thing about the suits or ship. Just "Hey, here are new suits you can access old powers".
    That is pure heresy. I don't know who is responsible for that, but I hope they got fired for it. Can you IMAGINE the A* pun work they could have done, with a pirate themed rangers team? It would have been glorious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pirate is a shitty theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I went back and watched in space, the acting was bad.
    For Power Rangers, it was awesome.

funny thing is they are all actually the same show, super sentai

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    funny thing is they are all actually the same show, super sentai
    They aren't. They are all a part of the same genre though "Tokusatsu".

Power Rangers = Super Sentai
    VR Troopers = Space Sheriff Shaider / Metalder / Spielban which was a part of the Metal Heroes brand
    Beetleborgs = B-Fighter / B-Fighter Kabuto which is apart of the Metal Heroes brand

Then you had Masked Rider which is Kamen Rider.

Nice, the same friend that got me back into PR is also a huge tabletop games fan, so needless to say, he's going ALL IN for that game!
    Yeah, I've been backing it each time it's up just because I want the mini's. Don't have anyone to really play with around here unfortunately. I have so many I want to paint, just haven't found time yet.

That is pure heresy. I don't know who is responsible for that, but I hope they got fired for it. Can you IMAGINE the A* pun work they could have done, with a pirate themed rangers team? It would have been glorious.
    If you ever get a chance, I would suggest watching Gokaiger (if you don't mind subtitles). It is definitely by far better than what we got in Super Megaforce. I'm not sure how much of a pirate theme you want, but it was essentially them going around finding the greatest treasure (part of the whole key theme) among other things. There was even a movie special where they had their own legendary battle.

since I started the Kamen Rider series (not all equal of course, but Den-O, W, Gaim, OOO and Build are really good), I forever forsake the US version of super sentai. even the original Gokaiger (super megaforce for power rangers I think) was league above the US version

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ever get a chance, I would suggest watching Gokaiger (if you don't mind subtitles).
    That does sound pretty damn good! Is it available to stream anywhere, or would I need to persue nefarious means in order to see it?

That does sound pretty damn good! Is it available to stream anywhere, or would I need to persue nefarious means in order to see it?
    I'll send you a message with the details.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    My answer is obvious going to be Mystic Knights of Tir na nog

Sorry, not really, Power Rangers just do the success and the fact it got me looking into its source material when I was older.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah well I’m talking about teams in robots coming together to form a bigger robot. Voltron always seemed pretty old so I’m shocked there was anything before it. I was wrong
    Don't feel bad or lied to. A lot of people who are unaware of Power Ranger's source material feel power rangers is a Voltron rip off and it's been that way since the 90's. At least now you know.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    My answer is obvious going to be Mystic Knights of Tir na nog
    That one was an interesting show back then. Don't remember much of it now though. I wish Shout Factory would at least offer it on DVD like they did with PR / Beetleborgs / PR since I don't think there are anything but maybe TV Rips out there.

Sorry, not really, Power Rangers just do the success and the fact it got me looking into its source material when I was older.
    Oh yeah if you don't mind subtitles, foreign language, etc then the source material is definitely a lot better. PR has it's own charm and uniqueness at times, but I've always preferred the source material. Then again I'm somewhat bias and watched it before it came PR.

Don't feel bad or lied to. A lot of people who are unaware of Power Ranger's source material feel power rangers is a Voltron rip off and it's been that way since the 90's. At least now you know.
    To be honest, I haven't seen Voltron and barely heard of it but googling it I can see why people might think that. Also obligatory "and knowing is half the battle" phrase.