Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why doesnt this Genre exist yet? Fantasy-Battlegrounds

If i want to play PvP battlegrounds with the gameplay of a RPG...i need to actually play a MMORPG and suffer through the leveling experience.
    Why isnt there a lobby game where i can simply login...play RPG battlegrounds...without having to suffer through the gear progression and pay to win mechanics?

I think im witnessing the first baby steps of this genre...but...they went with the Battle Royale theme...(-___-) goddamit

There is this new VERY recent genre called Fantasy BR games.

Shadow Arena is releasing tomorrow and on a Q&A with the company they said MAAAAaaaybe they will release battlegrounds instead of only having a BR mode.
    This would officially make it the first in the genre.

(T_T) maybe ill live enough to see it happen
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-05-20 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I recall one of the Might & Magic spin-off titles in the late 90s/early 2000s attempting a title like that, but I cant recall how deep the "RPG" elements of it were, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    I think I recall one of the Might & Magic spin-off titles in the late 90s/early 2000s attempting a title like that, but I cant recall how deep the "RPG" elements of it were, if any.
    Thats really underground and oldschool, let me quickly search online what it is

Idk why this isnt a thing yet...
    Maybe because is a niche of a niche?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    I believe this is hero brawlers and maybe the reason they haven't taken off is Blizzard labeling HotS as a hero brawler and then completely botching it, probably making others think nobody wants hero brawlers when actually nobody wants HotS.

This is one the reasons I liked LoL way back though, when they had different maps with different objectives and win conditions plus adding weird events every other week. I dunno if they still do that but it was really fun and fed my BG addiction from WoW.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    I believe this is hero brawlers and maybe the reason they haven't taken off is Blizzard labeling HotS as a hero brawler and then completely botching it, probably making others think nobody wants hero brawlers when actually nobody wants HotS.

This is one the reasons I liked LoL way back though, when they had different maps with different objectives and win conditions plus adding weird events every other week. I dunno if they still do that but it was really fun and fed my BG addiction from WoW.
    Yeah maybe hero Brawler is a better name...but it needs to be "RPG-like"
    Not a shooter
    Not a MOBA
    Not a 2D fighting game

You know...RPG like WoW or Black Desert Online.

I only realized today what exactly im looking for (>_<) only to realize...it doesnt exist! LOL! I was mindblown.

Is about to exist tomorrow...in a Battle Royale form though

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking about RPG and don't want to progress and level up? you do know leveling and gearing progressing is a core elements of almost all RPGs right?

How fucking lazy some new generation players really are really?

How about you log in and get a free win in battleground pvp and get a gladiator title while afking and not suffering (as you call it suffering..) through matches and winning or losing?

It is players like you that we barely have any recent decent MMORPG other than the big three ones (WoW, FFXIV, and ESO) and fast paced moba and battle royale games flooding the gaming market. because you guys (your type of players) want everything fucking super fast paced if you don't have time for leveling in MMO or gearing up then don't play fucking MMO as simple as that.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2020-05-20 at 11:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested as well. I would love to see a pvp fantasy game in general without health bars and button rotations, just good ol' sword + face = death. Throw in some magic into the mix and you could have a fun game. Level wouldn't matter, because even the highest skilled player still die to an arrow to the throat, and even the best armor can't save you from freezing to death from an ice attack. Lower levels could easily hide and pick off exhausted higher leveled combatants. Battle royale is a great environment to make a strategy game in a genre that is normally dominated by skilled players with twitch-reflexes and min-maxed characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't SMITE have a straight up brawl gamemode? I kinda remember it used to.

Also, Guildwars 2, gear doesn't matter in PvP at all, and you can go into a "BG" at level 1, and while in the BG you will be max level with everything unlocked (there is a PvP pre-zone where you can go and set up all your talents and whatnot before queueing).. So, offers exactly what you're looking for, it seems.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-05-20 at 11:48 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Asking about RPG and don't want to progress and level up? you do know leveling and gearing progressing is a core elements of almost all RPGs right?

How fucking lazy some new generation players really are really?

How about you log in and get a free win in battleground pvp and get a gladiator title while afking and not suffering (as you call it suffering..) through matches and winning or losing?

It is players like you that we barely have any recent decent MMORPG other than the big three ones (WoW, FFXIV, and ESO) and fast paced moba and battle royale games flooding the gaming market. because you guys (your type of players) want everything fucking super fast paced if you don't have time for leveling in MMO or gearing up then don't play fucking MMO as simple as that.
    Dude...Velshin...what the fuck is this post bro

I love the gameplay of MMORPGs BUT everytime i want to try a new class OR a new MMORPG...i need to SUFFER FOR MONTHS.
    Literally suffer...for months, and all i want to do is pvp.

You still dont get it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Also, Guildwars 2, gear doesn't matter in PvP at all, and you can go into a "BG" at level 1, and while in the BG you will be max level with everything unlocked (there is a PvP pre-zone where you can go and set up all your talents and whatnot before queueing)
    YES! Guild Wars 2 is perfect in that regard and instantly popped in my mind.
    I can try it right now

But can only play Vanilla "specs" if i dont buy the expansion.
    And very limited in character slots.

But thank you for reminding me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Dude...Velshin...what the fuck is this post bro

I love the gameplay of MMORPGs BUT everytime i want to try a new class OR a new MMORPG...i need to SUFFER FOR MONTHS.
    Literally suffer...for months

You still dont get it?
    Suffer for months for what!? really for playing the game? you do know god damn well that leveling and gearing up is part of the experience and part of the core of playing RPGs? it is like you are asking you wanna play a football matches but without the ball itself? how the fuck does that work really? then it will not be a football matches right?

Same goes with your logic then what you are asking is no longer considered as RPG or mmo at all! closest to what you want is Mordhau I recommend you try it pretty good game.

Suffer for months for what!? really for playing the game? you do know god damn well that leveling and gearing up is part of the experience and part of the core of playing RPGs? it is like you are asking you wanna play a football matches but without the ball itself? how the fuck does that work really? then it will not be a football matches right?

Same goes with your logic then what you are asking is no longer considered as RPG or mmo at all! closest to what you want is Mordhau I recommend you try it pretty good game.
    So...is copyright infringement if someone tries to make a lobby game MMORPG-gameplay?

Its like...im misquoting the Bible or something in your eyes...is not that messed up of an idea...i guess? :S

10+ Year Old Account
    So...is copyright infringement if someone tries to make a lobby game MMORPG-gameplay?

Its like...im misquoting the Bible or something in your eyes...is not that messed up of an idea...i guess? :S
    No but you wonder why such genre doesn't exist? here the answer for you:

Because what you are asking is not an actual MMORPG. Those games you are asking are there but not an mmo or RPG at all. Again I recommend Mordhau play it in Steam it is pretty decent and fun.

10+ Year Old Account

Because what you are asking is not an actual MMORPG. Those games you are asking are there but not an mmo or RPG at all. Again I recommend Mordhau play it in Steam it is pretty decent and fun.
    The guy is clearly looking for a fantasy game, not a medieval fighting game, Mordhau has no fantasy elements to it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I dont want to offend you...but im an old man...i dont have the willpower to spend months progressing my character in a MMORPG just for the SLIM CHANCE the game might be fun in the end.

Thats a total disrespect to my time and lifespan.

Probably God would look at me and say "look at this fucker, lol, wasting his time for months for a slim chance at maybe having fun in the end"

Total disrespect man...

I miss the era of Fantasy-based shooters like Heretic and Hexen. That's all become synonymous with ARPGs and MMO's now.

Honestly I don't see why there's a lack of fantasy games in general. Sword and sworcery has infinite possibilities, it shouldn't have to be limited to RPG/Strategy type games. It's just as easy to have a battle mage running around casting fireballs and blowing stuff up as any Space Marine shoots rockets.

Vermintide was probably the closest thing that scratched that itch, but it's not PVP oriented at all.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for OP, but I've seen a few gameplay vids and it seems pretty neat. More OW/Fortnitey, but action Fantasy PVP.

https://playspellbreak.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I miss the era of Fantasy-based shooters like Heretic and Hexen. That's all become synonymous with ARPGs and MMO's now.

Honestly I don't see why there's a lack of fantasy games in general. Sword and sworcery has infinite possibilities, it shouldn't have to be limited to RPG/Strategy type games. It's just as easy to have a battle mage running around casting fireballs and blowing stuff up as any Space Marine shoots rockets.

Vermintide was probably the closest thing that scratched that itch, but it's not PVP oriented at all.
    I'm super surprised Blizzard didn't jump all over the Vermintide 2 model, you can see it's replayability. The game suffers from a lack of mission maps but I can easily see a 3rd person diablo game with that game model.

@ro9ue

Thank you.
    Seems like a "shooter" but with magic...close enough

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont want to offend you...but im an old man...i dont have the willpower to spend months progressing my character in a MMORPG just for the SLIM CHANCE the game might be fun in the end.

Thats a total disrespect to my time and lifespan.

Probably God would look at me and say "look at this fucker, lol, wasting his time for months for a slim chance at maybe having fun in the end"

Total disrespect man...
    I am an old man as well and I have been playing video games more than most people around here (early 80s non stop hardcore style even to this day married, having a tough life job and children I still at least play a solid 5 or 6 hours daily which considered too much for filthy casuals like you) that is not an excuse it is like asking for something then wonder why it doesn't exist? if you don't have the stomech or time for it then don't do it really as simple as that. What you are asking is not an MMORPG.

Part of playing RPG is leveling and progressing it is because of people with your mentality that MMORPG are in such fast decline and everything now is fast moba battle royale fast paced games with almost zero progressing system or dedication because people like you asking for things and yet refuse to put time or dedicate themselves into the games?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    The guy is clearly looking for a fantasy game, not a medieval fighting game, Mordhau has no fantasy elements to it.
    I know but it is the closest thing he is asking for in term of log in play some medievel fighting online game and log out anytime he wants.

I am an old man as well and I have been playing video games more than most people around here (early 80s non stop hardcore style even to this day married, having a tough life job and children I still at least play a solid 5 or 6 hours daily which considered too much for filthy casuals like you) that is not an excuse it is like asking for something then wonder why it doesn't exist? if you don't have the stomech or time for it then don't do it really as simple as that. What you are asking is not an MMORPG.

Part of playing RPG is leveling and progressing it is because of people with your mentality that MMORPG are in such fast decline and everything now is fast moba battle royale fast paced games with almost zero progressing system or dedication because people like you asking for things and yet refuse to put time or dedicate themselves into the games?
    But im not asking to change WoW (well...thats a first)
    Are you suspicious this genre might kill the MMORPG genre or something? You are gatekeeping so hard the "fantasy-rpg-gameplay" right now.

I dont even know why you are so much against this :S

How deep are you looking to go into the RPG side of it?

I have to ask because I think that you'd be hard pressed to gamify the RPG elements in the sometimes really short matches that could happen.

I mean, technically, an Arathi Basin can be over in ten minutes if you have all the points for your side.

I guess you could RPG in between the matches. Have the lobby be a town, sort of like Dauntless. NICE for gear purchasing from the currency you earn from competing.....

Hmmm.......
    Last edited by G3 Ghost; 2020-05-21 at 12:24 AM.