Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Who said anything about hate? I am just pointing out that the vast majority of the people who owns them will not be using the features that justify the cost. You will get the same thing out of a $200 phone vs a $1000 one, the only reason people buy it is because it is a status symbol.
    you can say the same about anything

    like for example people should drive dacia duster instead of BWM x7 because technically both of them are cars that are used to travel from point A to B and former is so cheap in comparison to latter.

    tool is a tool . if you cant afford expensive one thats your problem . and it exists as problem only in your eyes.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you can say the same about anything

    like for example people should drive dacia duster instead of BWM x7 because technically both of them are cars that are used to travel from point A to B and former is so cheap in comparison to latter.

    tool is a tool . if you cant afford expensive one thats your problem . and it exists as problem only in your eyes.
    Did you not follow the conversation or are you just ranting?

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    It was no more hedonistic and consumerist than now. In fact, if anything, its gotten worse.

    Surely you've heard the song "The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel? Was literally a song about rampant consumerism. It was written in 1964.
    This is 1970, but it’s one of the most oft repeated lines about consumerism and is referenced in a lot of pop culture...

    They paved paradise
    Put up a parking lot
    Entropy won't yield to you.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    I don’t work here, I only smoke here.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    The 2000s were a dumb decade! A decade filled with debauchery, greed, and consumerism! A decade where Americans lost their fascination in space! A decade filled with trashy reality TV and Disney teen shows that promoted materialism and a shallow worldview! The teen pop culture seemed more interested in partying than becoming smarter. Athletes and celebrities were excessively glorified.

    All the smart people I knew back in the 2000s watched either Battlestar Galactica and/or Avatar the Last Airbender. Both of those shows were awarded the Peabody Award.

    Why were the 2000s so hedonistic and consumerist?

    Hopefully future generations will look at that decade with a feeling of disgust. Hopefully climate change will force humanity to abandon consumerism.
    Because humans are like that? Like...who do you think you are, some Gandhi?

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Because humans are like that? Like...who do you think you are, some Gandhi?
    Wasn’t Gandhi human?
    Entropy won't yield to you.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    I don’t work here, I only smoke here.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    This is 1970, but it’s one of the most oft repeated lines about consumerism and is referenced in a lot of pop culture
    Hmf...and have things become better?

    Mitchell, and Simon and Garfunkel were singing from a perspective coming from earlier years. I don't imagine they consider that things have improved.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Wasn’t Gandhi human?
    Beyond average human.

  8. #68
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,999
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    The 2000s were a dumb decade! A decade filled with debauchery, greed, and consumerism! A decade where Americans lost their fascination in space! A decade filled with trashy reality TV and Disney teen shows that promoted materialism and a shallow worldview! The teen pop culture seemed more interested in partying than becoming smarter. Athletes and celebrities were excessively glorified.

    All the smart people I knew back in the 2000s watched either Battlestar Galactica and/or Avatar the Last Airbender. Both of those shows were awarded the Peabody Award.

    Why were the 2000s so hedonistic and consumerist?

    Hopefully future generations will look at that decade with a feeling of disgust. Hopefully climate change will force humanity to abandon consumerism.
    No disrespect intended, but how many decades have you lived in to see the difference? The changes you are expressing, did not start in the 2000's.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    No disrespect intended, but how many decades have you lived in to see the difference? The changes you are expressing, did not start in the 2000's.
    Based on his posting I'm pretty sure he was born in the 2000s.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Did you not follow the conversation or are you just ranting?
    you are missing my point

    hedonism doesnt mean just that you are buying expensive stuff.

    for a lot of people what you consider expensive and non-mandatory is cheap and its a normal tool .

    thats why this is not hedonism and consumerism .

    another example - for some people buying 4th apartment is seen as unnesesary consumerism and douche move because "so many people cant afford it" - while for people with money its just investment in future. its not meant to stroke their ego only to make sure their hard earne money are safe and "working" .

    thats why i hate examples like "buying iphone is hedonism and stupid"

    its all matter of perspective.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you are missing my point

    hedonism doesnt mean just that you are buying expensive stuff.

    for a lot of people what you consider expensive and non-mandatory is cheap and its a normal tool .

    thats why this is not hedonism and consumerism .

    another example - for some people buying 4th apartment is seen as unnesesary consumerism and douche move because "so many people cant afford it" - while for people with money its just investment in future. its not meant to stroke their ego only to make sure their hard earne money are safe and "working" .

    thats why i hate examples like "buying iphone is hedonism and stupid"

    its all matter of perspective.
    I'm sorry but buying something like a $1000 - $5000 fucking computer chair is a douchebag move. You absolutely don't need it. It's the same shit as buying super expensive mouse pads, with LEDs and shit.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    I'm sorry but buying something like a $1000 - $5000 fucking computer chair is a douchebag move. You absolutely don't need it. It's the same shit as buying super expensive mouse pads, with LEDs and shit.
    here i disagree - as someone who spends many hours a day behind desk / on team meetings etc i could tell you that a really good chair is priceless

    you dont see it now but in 30-40 years when your back will be killing you , you will understand why it was so important and why sending couple of grand on it is nothing but investment in your own health and future.

    problem is people have very narrow limited vision on things because of sheer jealousy and lack of reources.

    im personaly using nice gaming chair in my office too because it provides exelent lumbar/neck/head support . few years ago i would also think its stupid - but now i wouldnt change it.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    you are missing my point

    hedonism doesnt mean just that you are buying expensive stuff.

    for a lot of people what you consider expensive and non-mandatory is cheap and its a normal tool .

    thats why this is not hedonism and consumerism .

    another example - for some people buying 4th apartment is seen as unnesesary consumerism and douche move because "so many people cant afford it" - while for people with money its just investment in future. its not meant to stroke their ego only to make sure their hard earne money are safe and "working" .

    thats why i hate examples like "buying iphone is hedonism and stupid"

    its all matter of perspective.
    You aren't following the conversation we were talking about the use of a phone which is more of a toy than actual tool to be used for productivity. The numerical facts are the OP is correct if you look at every metric we are consuming far more than in the past debt is a pretty good standard metric of this. Our economy is suffering so much because of this everyone owes everyone something they couldn't afford to buy.

    The person getting their 4th apartment kind of irrelevant to this discussion they probably have more than enough finances to do what they want. The average consumer is buying stuff to the point that they will be in debt until the day they die.

  14. #74
    As an older guy that has at times had back pain, I can't co-sign hard enough on a good chair. Fucking priceless! $1k? A good bargain.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    You aren't following the conversation we were talking about the use of a phone which is more of a toy than actual tool to be used for productivity. The numerical facts are the OP is correct if you look at every metric we are consuming far more than in the past debt is a pretty good standard metric of this. Our economy is suffering so much because of this everyone owes everyone something they couldn't afford to buy.

    The person getting their 4th apartment kind of irrelevant to this discussion they probably have more than enough finances to do what they want. The average consumer is buying stuff to the point that they will be in debt until the day they die.
    good - this is what gives people jobs. people will learn it in icoming year possibly two - with milions on unemploeyemnt without possibility of work and huge world wide recession people will learn that it werent politicians who gave them their jobs - only companies and private business owners

    there is nothing wrong about having debt as long as you can manage it without problems.

    i have for example very strickt rule of always putting 20-30 % of my earnings into savings . this gives nice financial buffer. but i still have cerain amounts of debts that im paying - its all about properly managing that.

    the key is not live above your "possibilities" - sadly many people have 0 self control .

    i wish that public schools would give kids better economical knowledge - this would improve their lives in long long run .

    also wish that adoults learned that society and world changed - we are no logner living in world where things that you learned in your twenties will be enough to give you job untill retirement. only people should learn their whole lives that have "back up plan" in case something goes wrong and they find themselves withut job in 40s or 50s.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2020-05-28 at 06:38 AM.

  16. #76
    Pandaren Monk smityx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Walmart Basment FEMA Camp 7
    Posts
    1,888
    Seems every other decade the same thing is said. 2000's, 80's, etc. It's cyclic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •