Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    The 2000s were a dumb decade! A decade filled with debauchery, greed, and consumerism! A decade where Americans lost their fascination in space! A decade filled with trashy reality TV and Disney teen shows that promoted materialism and a shallow worldview! The teen pop culture seemed more interested in partying than becoming smarter. Athletes and celebrities were excessively glorified.

All the smart people I knew back in the 2000s watched either Battlestar Galactica and/or Avatar the Last Airbender. Both of those shows were awarded the Peabody Award.

Why were the 2000s so hedonistic and consumerist?

Hopefully future generations will look at that decade with a feeling of disgust. Hopefully climate change will force humanity to abandon consumerism.
    every decade was like this

you only noticed it in 2000s because of internet showing it to you .

No one tell him about the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

You are wrong. It was the 1990s that screwed the very fabric of society. The 2000s were just an encore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    You are wrong. It was the 1990s that screwed the very fabric of society. The 2000s were just an encore.
    How so? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    How so? I don't get it.
    Let's just say there were far more people in Churches, Synagogues and Mosques in the 1980s than the 1990s, and then the 2000s.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Let's just say there were far more people in Churches, Synagogues and Mosques in the 1980s than the 1990s, and then the 2000s.
    Well in the US most people are still religious.

By "fabric" it seems you ment "tradition" in which case the fabric of society will always have to be perpetually tore up, re-done, and improved. That's how civilization keeps moving forward.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-23 at 11:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Great for video games and technology advancements, shit for everything else.

I listen to my colleagues discuss their kids.
    Those parents are spoiling their kids.
    Ipads, iPhones, those wireless headphones you plug into ears from Apple... none of that stuff cost little.
    How do you think those kids will grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sounds like the 90s...
    Was thinking the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    What kind of dated, nonsensical mind sees "hedonism" and "debauchery" as bad things?
    Oh you mean that which promotes shallow thinking, crass materialism, egotistical behavior, and everthing connected to the "I got mine. Why didn't you get yours" mindset?

10+ Year Old Account
    Decade that’s framed between 9/11 and the Great Recession, was hedonistic and consumerist? Bold claim...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Oh you mean that which promotes shallow thinking, crass materialism, egotistical behavior, and everthing connected to the "I got mine. Why didn't you get yours" mindset?
    It’s why you need to add nihilism... you stare into the abyss, looking for nipples to tickle...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think a distinction needs to be made between debt based economic growth and natural growth, while you do not get explosive GDP growth from those countries you also don't get cyclical recessions for the market to correct itself. I rather have stability because going for crisis to crisis is not exactly good for the average person long term. The competitiveness argument is detached from debt so it doesn't matter in that case either just preference of economic models.
    Funny you should mention that, I just watched a video with a different perspective on recessions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Funny you should mention that, I just watched a video with a different perspective on recessions.
    Well there's also a separate issue with the notion of economic cycles. Anytime we're talking about human progress one should never think in the following manner, "something is inevitable because it has repeatedly happened throughout history". Unless someone creates an explanation of an economic law regarding the inevitability of recession then we should not assume that such a law exists and is fundamental.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-23 at 06:53 PM.

The 2000s were a dumb decade! A decade filled with debauchery, greed, and consumerism! A decade where Americans lost their fascination in space! A decade filled with trashy reality TV and Disney teen shows that promoted materialism and a shallow worldview! The teen pop culture seemed more interested in partying than becoming smarter. Athletes and celebrities were excessively glorified.

All the smart people I knew back in the 2000s watched either Battlestar Galactica and/or Avatar the Last Airbender. Both of those shows were awarded the Peabody Award.

Hopefully future generations will look at that decade with a feeling of disgust. Hopefully climate change will force humanity to abandon consumerism.
    Everything you've said in this post about the 2000s can be applied to the last 5 years, only amplified further. The 2000s like every decade had its ups and downs, choose to focus on the downs if you want.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Pacify the masses with shiny things and immediate luxuries while you take away their wealth, prospects and rights. That's probably why there si such consumerism then and now.
    RETH

7+ Year Old Account
    You left off a relevant part of my comment. Neither hedonism nor debauchery, when they don't come at the expense of others, are "bad", outside of some abject moral drivel. Not sure where you're pulling the "promotes" nonsense from, outside of some abstract and likely irrelevant non-argument. But let's talk about them, eh?

- "Shallow thinking": First, are we using the term literally? Because the modern colloquial usage has no intrinsic value other than as a deflection.
    - "Crass Materialism": "Crass" isn't really relevant in the context in which it's used. "Materialism" is fine, as long as it doesn't come at someone else's expense.
    - "Egotistical Behavior": Again, covered by the part you left off, ie, as long as it doesn't hurt others, it's fine.

As far as the "I got mine..." bit, oneself should be their first priority. Sure, like everything else, there's extreme cases where people are so focused on themselves that they actually cause harm to others, but that doesn't make it a black and white issue. If it's not coming at the expense of, or causing harm to, others, it's fine.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2020-05-23 at 11:42 PM.

The teen pop culture seemed more interested in partying than becoming smarter. Athletes and celebrities were excessively glorified.
    And this is how we know you haven't lived through any basis for comparison.

There has never been a more consumeristic period in human history than NOW.

Amazon, AliExpress, etc have completely and utterly ensured of that.

The 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's don't have a patch on what's happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Great for video games and technology advancements, shit for everything else.

I listen to my colleagues discuss their kids.
    Those parents are spoiling their kids.
    Ipads, iPhones, those wireless headphones you plug into ears from Apple... none of that stuff cost little.
    How do you think those kids will grow up?
    most likely as more succesful lthen their parents.

iphone is a tool - it depends on person how they utilize it.

dont forget the social stigma and social exclusion . in this day and age kids without iphone can be often excluded fro mtight knit groups and become class pariah . thats why its potentialy good investment so that kid has good social networking skills/oportunities.

dont shame people for having money and spending it - most of us work very hard to get where we are - aka to be able to buy stuff liek this without any problem

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macd123aw View Post
    There has never been a more consumeristic period in human history than NOW.

Amazon, AliExpress, etc have completely and utterly ensured of that.

The 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's don't have a patch on what's happening now.
    hm disagree.

i could agree that its easier to buy things then ever before but thats because of technology . this doesnt mean that thinking customers buy anything possible. i for exampel still use amazon mainly to order books because its more convinient then go to book store.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    iphone is a tool - it depends on person how they utilize it.
    As a tool?
    Lol..no.
    All it is, is a source of entertainment..a toy.

7+ Year Old Account
    As a tool?
    Lol..no.
    All it is, is a source of entertainment..a toy.
    Smartphones have massive usefulness and utility.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Smartphones have massive usefulness and utility.
    Yes and just like the internet most people will use it as a toy such is the human condition.