Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sony neglecting their franchises.

Nintendo gets flack for neglecting their franchises like F-Zero, but why don't people bitch at Sony, who is arguably even worse? IPs like Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Parappa the Rapper and Twisted Metal haven't had a proper game in years.

Because if those franchises don't make enough money then those franchises don't get new games. None of those franchises were extremely popular. Maybe Twisted Metal or Syphon Filter had some success but Syphon Filter at the time was overshadowed by Metal Gear Solid and Twisted Metal always seemed like a less popular Carmaggedon.

Although I gotta say I had a blast playing the first Ape Escape back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    Because if those franchises don't make enough money then those franchises don't get new games. None of those franchises were extremely popular. Maybe Twisted Metal or Syphon Filter had some success but Syphon Filter at the time was overshadowed by Metal Gear Solid and Twisted Metal always seemed like a less popular Carmaggedon.

Although I gotta say I had a blast playing the first Ape Escape back in the day.
    You don't see those games making enough money to justify the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Nintendo gets flack for neglecting their franchises like F-Zero, but why don't people bitch at Sony, who is arguably even worse? IPs like Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Parappa the Rapper and Twisted Metal haven't had a proper game in years.
    Probably because they have multitudes or successful games. While Nintendo also does, their library doesn’t compare when it comes to exclusive titles. Most of their games are releases from other platforms.
    Part of it could also be because genres like Ape Escape and Parappa the Rapper aren’t as widely desired (as seen by marketers), and Sony has other games along the lines of Syphon Filter.
    All that stated, is there a multitude of people complaining about Nintendo neglecting games like F Zero? This is the first time I’ve ever heard anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Probably because they have multitudes or successful games. While Nintendo also does, their library doesn’t compare when it comes to exclusive titles. Most of their games are releases from other platforms.
    Part of it could also be because genres like Ape Escape and Parappa the Rapper aren’t as widely desired (as seen by marketers), and Sony has other games along the lines of Syphon Filter.
    All that stated, is there a multitude of people complaining about Nintendo neglecting games like F Zero? This is the first time I’ve ever heard anything about it.
    Not to be rude, but where have you been? People have been clamoring for a new F-Zero game for years.

You don't see those games making enough money to justify the cost?
    I don't know how much money they did, but since Sony is trying to run a business, its safe to assume that in the end it all boils down to money. Be it because they didn't cover costs, or because those games didn't meet the expected sales or because those genres are no longer popular and is risky to invest any resources into them.

If you want the truthful answer it's because Sony let's their dev teams make what they want to make for the most part. That creative freedom usually leads to new IPs, a few sequels and then moving on to another new IP. Consider this, God of War and Gran Turismo are the only 2 Sony franchises that have been on PS2, PS3 and PS4. Gran Turismo is the only Sony franchise to be on all of their consoles.

This is because Guerilla has the freedom to make a Horizon Zero Daw, Sucker Punch has the freedom to make a Ghost of Tsushima, Media Molecule seems to have the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want to do when they want to do it, Bend studio literally got to make a game that took place in their home area, Naughty Dog got to make TLOU in the middle of Uncharted success and will likely move on to a new IP after TLOU2.

Development freedom isn't a bad thing, studios being tied to a single game is a bad thing. Why do you think MSs 1st party production was so shit this gen when they have 3 studios that literally make nothing but Halo, Gears and Forza?

People have been clamoring for a new F-Zero game for years.
    First I've heard of this clamoring

Not to be rude, but where have you been? People have been clamoring for a new F-Zero game for years.
    News to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    First I've heard of this clamoring
    He is mistaking a small, vocal fan base for the "clamoring of the masses". The 3 most recent F-Zero games didn't even sell 1 million combined, there is a reason why the franchise is dead.

5+ Year Old Account
    Seeing how metal gear solid is dead, there is a opening for Syphon Filter reboot.

Nintendo killed it because they don't want to make games that are competing with themselves. In their minds, F-Zero would compete with Mario Kart, and Mario Kart is the larger franchise so F-Zero had to go.

Similarly, I dread Nintendo getting their hands on any JRPG studio like Nihon Falcom. They'd probably kill the Trails series for Xenoblade, or Ys for Zelda.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Sony tribalism mostly. Sony also objectively has the worst security of any of the major gaming companies. They have a *lot* of problems, but if you have taken Sony as your personal gaming savior, everything can be rationalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Nintendo killed it because they don't want to make games that are competing with themselves. In their minds, F-Zero would compete with Mario Kart, and Mario Kart is the larger franchise so F-Zero had to go.

Similarly, I dread Nintendo getting their hands on any JRPG studio like Nihon Falcom. They'd probably kill the Trails series for Xenoblade, or Ys for Zelda.
    Nice conspiracy theory but Donkey Kong, Kirby and Mario exist side by side and have for decades.

F-Zero got killed off because the last 3 entries in the franchise sold like dog shit. Also Xenoblade is as close to Zelda as YS is so not even sure what that comparison is lmao.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Seeing how metal gear solid is dead, there is a opening for Syphon Filter reboot.
    Considering splinter cell or hitman series are not as popular as they once were I'm gonna go out on a limb and say current market/player base doesn't have the patience or will to play stealth espionage and would rather blow shit up in another online shooter
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Considering splinter cell or hitman series are not as popular as they once were I'm gonna go out on a limb and say current market/player base doesn't have the patience or will to play stealth espionage and would rather blow shit up in another online shooter
    Well that and most of the reason people like/liked MGS was the bat shit crazy Kojima narrative and not the fact it was a stealth game. Syphon Filter narrative was generic garbage.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well that and most of the reason people like/liked MGS was the bat shit crazy Kojima narrative and not the fact it was a stealth game. Syphon Filter narrative was generic garbage.
    MGS never really felt like a true stealth game imo. Running down a corridor with a FAMAS was just as effective as slowly taking out guards and finding the correct route. They were a healthy mix of action and strategy
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Maybe, and here's a thought, it's because you don't HAVE to keep milking the shit out of something forever until it is a desiccated corpse simply to justify keeping it around because "franchise".

I mean, sure, I get the attachment some people can have to old favorites, but that is no reason to force yourself to make Street Fighter 23 just because you have been doing it so long it is the only thing you know how to do any more.

Hell, the Street Fighter thing is actually a pretty good example: When was the last time we actually got a NEW, quality, A++ fighting game? Can most people actually name a fighting game that isn't a direct tie in to one of the core franchises that have been around literally forever? Street Fighter, Tekken, KoF, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur. Those are basically it. Sure, there have been a few indie franchises or lesser known stuff, but for the most part none of the major studios are EVER likely to innovate a new IP in that market because it will be a perceived threat to their baby. The entire genre is basically in IP stasis at this point because nobody is willing to mess with the franchise golden goose.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    MGS never really felt like a true stealth game imo. Running down a corridor with a FAMAS was just as effective as slowly taking out guards and finding the correct route. They were a healthy mix of action and strategy
    Yea, the only reason to even play MGS with stealth was if going for a non lethal playthrough guards are dumb AF and you could just rambo through them.

I never even heard of those games (besides F-Zero). Maybe that's why? And like some said above. Why is it required that companies create endless versions of every franchise? Not every game needs to have "X Game Version 19".