Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    off topic,but how is the op banned after 1 post lol
    Probably an alt account that was either to circumvent a ban hammer, or that because the first post was a troll post against classic, they were banned, since retail vs classic is frowned upon and dealt with by some mods. (Though usually you'd see an infraction.)

  2. #22
    Brewmaster Naoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    off topic,but how is the op banned after 1 post lol

    - - - Updated - - -



    doubt this will ever happen as long as we have 4 difficulties of the same raid,it would only work with 2 versions
    I mean can still have specific gear for each difficulty just doesn't need to look different, I mean it doesn't for 3 of the 4 anyway only mythic is different, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard a system to implement.

  3. #23
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    20,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    About time Blizzard introduce dyes into the game, that way they only need to create one version of gear and let us decide how to colour it instead of 1 for each difficulty.

    This system would have to be implemented moving forward, and would not be backwards compatible without an enormous amount of work, likely involving blizzard artists trawling through almost two decades of photoshop and 3D coat files, manually changing layers with color gradients to allow that functionality. Which is not something that will or should happen.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  4. #24
    Brewmaster Naoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    This system would have to be implemented moving forward, and would not be backwards compatible without an enormous amount of work, likely involving blizzard artists trawling through almost two decades of photoshop and 3D coat files, manually changing layers with color gradients to allow that functionality. Which is not something that will or should happen.
    Yea no doubt but still no reason it can't be added in a future expansion to only work with current gear, can't expect them to make it compatible with all the gear in the game.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkl View Post
    one shoulder choose which side is cool. choosing two different shoulders, gloves, shoes, etc, gonna look clownish.

    we don't have a lot or restrictions when it comes to transmog, and some limitations help the game and gear and models to stay looking good. even if this is more options, it's a detraction from the thoughtfulness that goes into blizzard's art and gear sets. we can already break the themes, color schemes, and cohesive wholes of our outfits, but they tend to still look complete mostly due to matching shoulders or at least symmetry. once everything can look more ridiculous than what's already allowed it will give a vibe of no standards or at least a vibe of there is no intention anymore behind how gear looks and feels.

    I hope it's transmog one shoulder on your side of choice, not transmog two different shoulders. will look clowny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    People will mostly try to go for things that look good to them, so even if you get to choose 2 different shoulderpads people will look for those that may work well together, there will be exceptions to this, but still... is like those people that argued against transmog cause it will let people use all kind of equipment and color combinations making you look like a clown, but we both know that, even though it happens sometimes, is rarely the norm.
    alright, thanks. I was thinking that too. turned out that most people do want to make their character look good, choose items that do fit their toon's model and stay within their story or lore. I love the one shoulder look and there are lots of fantasies to fulfill there for people, such as knights and cunning pirates, slick rogues and stalking hunters, wild barbarians, etc, even mighty forest bear men - druids! and plenty more.

    I guess I just felt concerned, because while I am for players having options, I assume what's left of wow (still a ton), half probably are playing for the visuals; aesthetics, the artwork and the collections, etc. meaning once the art and visuals are dumbed down or annoying, meaning when they're no longer held to blizzard standards and anything goes, then those who play the game that looks good to them might be turned off and feel alienated. and/or leave. I was turned off by this possible string initially, but you helped me to see that it's probably fine under the assumption people generally do try to take pride in their toon and not look jarringly ridiculous. so maybe it'll be ok.

    I do love the one shoulder idea though! maybe one glove..I can see that fitting certain fantasies as well.
    Last edited by dunkl; 2020-05-23 at 02:28 AM.

  6. #26
    Dreadlord scvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by mostvp71 View Post
    Transmogging your shoulders separately automatically makes SL better than Classic? Jeez it’s easy to please you.
    Eh, anything is better than Classic to be fair.

  7. #27
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    20,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    And if it is, I’d love if they let us do this with gloves too.
    I think this might not be possible with how WoW's character textures are set up.

    Character model body textures are symmetrical, because the character model calls up a texture that's of half the body and then mirrors it across the character. Hence why... well, every piece of character armor that's directly projected onto the character is exactly symmetrical. (Ever wonder why the tabard of the silver hand has no thumb? That's why.) Even an item like Kvaldir exult's grips, while appearing asymmetrical, actually has the exact same bandage/glove texture applied beneath the gauntlet on the right hand as well.

    Blizzard is able to get that asymmetrical gauntlet look on that item because an entirely new model is called up by the game to fit over the player's right arm. Suffice to say, if you wanted asymmetrical gauntlets, it'd be limited to items that use that type of item model, which I believe they started doing only in Legion, and still only for some items. Most of the gloves in the game wouldn't be able to be made asymmetrical.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  8. #28
    Titan Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I think this might not be possible with how WoW's character textures are set up.

    Character model body textures are symmetrical, because the character model calls up a texture that's of half the body and then mirrors it across the character. Hence why... well, every piece of character armor that's directly projected onto the character is exactly symmetrical. (Ever wonder why the tabard of the silver hand has no thumb? That's why.) Even an item like Kvaldir exult's grips, while appearing asymmetrical, actually has the exact same bandage/glove texture applied beneath the gauntlet on the right hand as well.

    Blizzard is able to get that asymmetrical gauntlet look on that item because an entirely new model is called up by the game to fit over the player's right arm. Suffice to say, if you wanted asymmetrical gauntlets, it'd be limited to items that use that type of item model, which I believe they started doing only in Legion, and still only for some items. Most of the gloves in the game wouldn't be able to be made asymmetrical.
    But making, at least, one side model appear "invisible" should be possible, even if for the game, there's actually 2 there.

  9. #29
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    20,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    Yea no doubt but still no reason it can't be added in a future expansion to only work with current gear, can't expect them to make it compatible with all the gear in the game.
    I'm also dubious about how easy it would be to instate selectively tinting armor.

    If it's simply changing the color of armor overall, then that's basically just the transmog system just with different tiers.

    If it's things like selectively changing trim, details, and the like, that would be far more complicated. As far as I know, WoW (like many other video games) simply calls up a single texture and applies it to the character model. In essence, there's no "modularity" built into the way the textures are processed. For instance, when you're "painting" the mechanical tiger mount, you aren't "tinting" it; you're telling the game to call up a different texture entirely and apply it to the model.

    Could such a modular system be built into the WoW engine? Maybe... But I don't think it'd be simple. You'd need to set up a system in which you can manually change the parameters of different parts of the texture (as I assuming making multiple textures with all possible permutations would be wildly impractical and balloon the game's files.) The only systems I can think of off-hand of doing that are either 1) having material instances, wherein you can manually mask out parts of the armor's materials and set up a system in-game to reference specific colors for different parts. Due to space concerns, I'm not sure how feasible this would be; you'd need to create a texture that functions as a mask that would delineate which parts of the armor can be changed, which would require an entire additional texture map to allow for even two changeable colors (I'm assuming Blizzard already uses all of their color channels for something, necessitating the addition of an entire new texture) or 2) having parts of the armor actually call up wholly different textures, and allow them to be interchanged as part of the material applied to the armor.

    Again, I'm not 100% sure for WoW, but I work as a 3D artist and for our projects draw calls (in essence, the need to call up multiple texture sets) is one of the biggest impactors of in-engine performance.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    But making, at least, one side model appear "invisible" should be possible, even if for the game, there's actually 2 there.
    Yes, you could do that for the gloves that actually place models onto the character's hands. But again, I think they only started making those in legion.

    I also don't think you'd really be able to get any good looking combinations. Taking a cursory look at the transmog list, all of the gloves that have additional modeled pieces aren't just that additional modeled piece; the base texture that must be applied to both sides of the character's models still comprises a good deal of what you're seeing.

    So it wouldn't be as simple as having one hand gloved, and the other one bare... You'd have one hand gloved, and the other one also gloved, but without the big additional modeled part. Or, you'd have one hand bare, and the other one also bare, but with a weird chunk of glove attached to nothing floating above your naked hand. An item like Kvaldir Exult's grips was made specifically to look good while displayed asymmetrically.

    So again, not technically impossible for some items, but I think a system like "hide left or right glove" functioning as I described and with the items that currently exist in-game would be misleadingly named and probably confuse a lot of people not familiar with how texturing works.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-05-23 at 03:11 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  10. #30
    Titan Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yes, you could do that for the gloves that actually place models onto the character's hands. But again, I think they only started making those in legion.

    I also don't think you'd really be able to get any good looking combinations. Taking a cursory look at the transmog list, all of the gloves that have additional modeled pieces aren't just that additional modeled piece; the base texture that must be applied to both sides of the character's models still comprises a good deal of what you're seeing.

    So it wouldn't be as simple as having one hand gloved, and the other one bare... You'd have one hand gloved, and the other one also gloved, but without the big additional modeled part. Or, you'd have one hand bare, and the other one also bare, but with a weird chunk of glove attached to nothing floating above your naked hand. An item like Kvaldir Exult's grips was made specifically to look good while displayed asymmetrically.

    So again, not technically impossible for some items, but I think a system like "hide left or right glove" functioning as I described and with the items that currently exist in-game would be misleadingly named and probably confuse a lot of people not familiar with how texturing works.
    But, if at least the Hide thing can be done with shoulders, couldn't the same be done with gloves?

    Though i have always suspected that the NPC that have only 1 shoulder pads, literally have a new item that consist of only 1 shoulder and a hidden object filling the space of the second one.

  11. #31
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    20,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    But, if at least the Hide thing can be done with shoulders, couldn't the same be done with gloves?

    Though i have always suspected that the NPC that have only 1 shoulder pads, literally have a new item that consist of only 1 shoulder and a hidden object filling the space of the second one.
    Not really, because shoulders are actually entirely separate 3D models that are placed on the character. In essence, characters are wearing shoulder armor. Gloves, however, use a different system. Gloves are, in essence, painted onto your character's arms and hands. In fact, almost all armor works this way. Only helmets and shoulders use actual different models.

    The different shapes that gloves have are because the character model actually deforms to fit that shape. It's the same way with robes and regular leg armor; the robe isn't a separate 3D model your character is wearing, your character's legs are actually physically changed into the shape of a robe, and a robe texture applied to them.

    Recently, Blizzard has begun to add some additional 3D modeled parts to belts, gloves, boots, chestpieces, etc. But these are few and far between and, like I said, still often rely in large part upon the base texture that is painted directly on your character's model. And that base texture must be mirrored on both sides of the character, either in it showing your character wearing the same gloves on both hands or your character having both hands be bare.


    So like I said. Could you hide the additional 3D model that some gloves have for one side? Technically, yes, I don't see why not. But the base texture would still either be there on both sides of your character or not be there on both sides of your character.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-05-23 at 03:44 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I would be nice but it is never going to happen wow's engine would need a massive rehall to make it possible.
    Never going to happen? Massive engine rehaul? It's hard for me to not burst into laughter mate. This is easily achieved and the reason it was not available so far was a design decision. That might be changing soon so be ready for your new duo-shoulder transmogs

  13. #33
    This is a lot of hype and debate for a text string that at this point is utterly meaningless.

  14. #34
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    20,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    This is a lot of hype and debate for a text string that at this point is utterly meaningless.
    There's not really all that much debate about it; most of the conversation seems to be around the feasibility of other transmog systems or how the OP managed to get banned after only one post.

    I don't really see why Blizzard wouldn't implement this; there are already single-sided shoulders in-game that players can obtain, so they aren't "morally opposed" to the idea for transmog, and it obviously isn't impossible for the game's engine to do.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •