Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Simply because they have literally no reason to put the available corruptions on a random rotation other than to keep people coming back to see if the one they want is available. I don't mind most timegating - often I think it enhances an MMO - but unlike reputations and daily quests where it makes sense for a faction to not go from "unknown" to "omg this guy is literally the best", and also makes sense that you'd repeat certain tasks over several days rather than several times an hour - a vendor having a limited selection (not stock) does not.

Like I said in the original post:

How the artificial sense of urgency works is "oh shit my corruption is available, gotta farm the shit out of it today and tomorrow before it goes away". People will also keep logging in to check if their corruption is available that week. It means that rather than farm what you want and then you're done, you'll most likely farm what you want preemptively "just in case" and then keep logging in anyway. More played time total.
    1.not entirely random.
    2. It's all online, so you can just unsub and wait.
    3. Do you really think ANYONE goes " oh hey I'm unsubbed from wow. But I hear you can buy corruptions now!" Designs. Logs on, farms for 18 hours, buys the corruption. Then unsubs.
    4. Funny cause ya know... Both ways. Even if they could buy any of them from the start, or just the one they wanted. Both require a month sub...
    5. So you must dislike the black market auction house? Should it have everything on sale at all times?
    6. It's not artificial scarcity... Cause guess what... You can wait a few weeks till.it comes back. Or like you know. Most people. Just work for it up slowly until the one you want appears... Idk if you know, but every time the pool resets, your currency does not also reset... You can farm ahead of time, you don't need to wait till last minute...
    7. Again. They can check what ones are up online...
    8. You know... Wait so your changing from time gating to more playtime what?
    Wait is the problem timegating or artificially extended playtime?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-05-24 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I know it is; I'm not arguing that point. EVERYTHING blizzard has done since 6.0 has been designed to force players to stay subbed longer to milk money instead of providing meaningful and interesting gameplay.

The problem and mistake, which blizzard repeats time and time again, is that people will just get frustrated and say "fuck it!" and unsub instead of grinding with all these timegates.

They never learn, and the playerbase dwindles ever further each expansion.

Edit: If they made content WORTH playing constantly, people would stay subbed constantly.
    Thing is, what's good about timegates out of a designer's perspective is that you can stretch out content over a longer period of time - when it isn't egregious, players will be just as happy with timegated content as they would if the content wasn't timegated at all - sometimes happier because it isn't overwhelming.

I prefer not to comment about what causes the playerbase to dwindle, because that's absolutely Blizzard's most important metric. If anyone knows, it's them.

Yes, people would absolutely play more if there was more meaningful content to do - it's a question of manhours spent vs profit gained.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1.not entirely random.
    2. It's all online, so you can just unsub and wait.
    3. Do you really think ANYONE goes " oh hey I'm unsubbed from wow. But I hear you can buy corruptions now!" Designs. Logs on, farms for 18 hours, buys the corruption. Then unsubs.
    4. Funny cause ya know... Both ways. Even if they could buy any of them from the start, or just the one they wanted. Both require a month sub...
    5. So you must dislike the black market auction house? Should it have everything on sale at all times?
    1. I haven't seen anything confirming or denying this, it was just an assumption on my part.
    2. Yes, you can - I'm not really talking about people who are on the fence of quitting entirely, but rather getting people who already play to play more than they'd want to naturally. Also, unsubbing and waiting for the right corruption rotation means you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants.
    3. No, but subscriptions aren't their only metric. They're absolutely interested in hours spent in game as well.
    4. Again, subscriptions aren't their only metric.
    5. Black Market is different because it isn't just a limited selection but also a limited stock. It makes sense. However, way above that is the fact that it's purely cosmetic.

Thing is, what's good about timegates out of a designer's perspective is that you can stretch out content over a longer period of time - when it isn't egregious, players will be just as happy with timegated content as they would if the content wasn't timegated at all - sometimes happier because it isn't overwhelming.

I prefer not to comment about what causes the playerbase to dwindle, because that's absolutely Blizzard's most important metric. If anyone knows, it's them.

Yes, people would absolutely play more if there was more meaningful content to do - it's a question of manhours spent vs profit gained.

- - - Updated - - -

1. I haven't seen anything confirming or denying this, it was just an assumption on my part.
    2. Yes, you can - I'm not really talking about people who are on the fence of quitting entirely, but rather getting people who already play to play more than they'd want to naturally. Also, unsubbing and waiting for the right corruption rotation means you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants.
    3. No, but subscriptions aren't their only metric. They're absolutely interested in hours spent in game as well.
    4. Again, subscriptions aren't their only metric.
    5. Black Market is different because it isn't just a limited selection but also a limited stock. It makes sense. However, way above that is the fact that it's purely cosmetic.
    Excuse me what? Wait wait skip.everything let's go to #2 "time played is bad" excuse me?
    There is no winning. When even fucking having to play the game is bad. Holy fuck, you seriously want corruptions to just right out be free. Cause as you just said right there. "you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants." So now, literally having to play the game. To progress. Is bad.

Alright it's over.

What is your mistress outta job because of covid? Need more CBT?
    Im not saying THIS corruption system is a "TG for the sake of TG" because i actually dont know.
    But it seems to be.

No one is defending a "timegate that only benefits the betterment of the company and not the players"...are we? Are we defending this now?

Just making sure...because...i think some people are.

Excuse me what? Wait wait skip.everything let's go to #2 "time played is bad" excuse me?
    There is no winning. When even fucking having to play the game is bad. Holy fuck, you seriously want corruptions to just right out be free. Cause as you just said right there. "you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants." So now, literally having to play the game. To progress. Is bad.

Alright it's over.
    Err, what? Time played is bad? I think you may have mixed me up with another poster. I'm saying what Blizzard wants by creating the system the way it is. I'm not saying everything Blizzard wants is bad. No idea why you'd think that if you aren't just trying to disprove everything negative I say about Blizzard.

Blizzard could've made the system maximally QoL for the sake of the player without reducing the prices meaning in total the time you spend on farming corruptions and buying them is entirely up to you. What's your theory on why they didn't do that if you're so sure I'm wrong?

How does it make the player sub for longer?

Idk if you know, but people dont go farm forever to get a corruption, put it on their gear... then quit...

Please, tell me, why the fuck would someone spend weeks to go through the trouble to enchant their gear, only to quit
    no the people using this system are farming it, to make their future runs better and faster...

"Hey i just spent 3 weeks to farm this corruption onto my gear! time to quit the game now until corruptions are removed" you fucking serious?
    Imagine not knowing why MMOs do timegates. Especially subscription based ones. top lol.

Err, what? Time played is bad? I think you may have mixed me up with another poster. I'm saying what Blizzard wants by creating the system the way it is. I'm not saying everything Blizzard wants is bad. No idea why you'd think that if you aren't just trying to disprove everything negative I say about Blizzard.

Blizzard could've made the system maximally QoL for the sake of the player without reducing the prices meaning in total the time you spend on farming corruptions and buying them is entirely up to you. What's your theory on why they didn't do that if you're so sure I'm wrong?
    No you very much said it. "You will have to farm. That's still played hours blizzard wants." Again. So your saying, making people play the game to progress. Is "a tactic made by blizz to get what they want"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Imagine not knowing why MMOs do timegates. Especially subscription based ones. top lol.
    Imagine not being able to read.

Because Blizzard hates you, and you in particular.

No you very much said it. "You will have to farm. That's still played hours blizzard wants." Again. So your saying, making people play the game to progress. Is "a tactic made by blizz to get what they want"
    It.. is. That doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. If the system had all corruptions available at once, you could farm your corruptions and then quit after having fun with them, the way it is now means you'll have to stay longer especially if you don't manage to buy the ones you want when they were available. Again, what's your theory on why if you're so sure I'm wrong?

It.. is. That doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. If the system had all corruptions available at once, you could farm your corruptions and then quit after having fun with them, the way it is now means you'll have to stay longer especially if you don't manage to buy the ones you want when they were available. Again, what's your theory on why if you're so sure I'm wrong?
    I mean, is entirely possible this is for some kind of "greater good" for the game.
    Im not rulling out this possibility but it just doesnt seem like it, to me.

It could all be in good faith

But i choose to press "X" to doubt

So you think players are staying... Because of corruptions. And are willing to spend extra months and extra hours. Just to get corruptions. That they will then go "alright I got it! Time to unsub"
    Yeah no. And me and many others said atleast 5 times now earlier. Look at the thic skilled messeged from shadow, you will find my response with all of the qoutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Because Blizzard hates you, and you in particular.
    This is actually true. As someone on the alpha I can confirm they have made it even more obvious. They have hired an employee for every player who watches you play and makes sure to make you loot drop as little as possible, and all your father quests to drop 1 until your 19/20 then suddenly the last mob pack drops 8. They have really gone overboard.

So you think players are staying... Because of corruptions. And are willing to spend extra months and extra hours. Just to get corruptions. That they will then go "alright I got it! Time to unsub"
    Yeah no. And me and many others said atleast 5 times now earlier. Look at the thic skilled messeged from shadow, you will find my response with all of the qoutes.
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally being obtuse to troll, but I'm gonna assume you're able to extrapolate from an example anyway. Chill the fuck out and read what I'm saying again. You even brought up ICC as bad timegating as if that makes all timegating that comes after it good? ICC and SWP were both examples of egregious timegating which sucked. They were far worse examples.

You're still ignoring the question for some reason - what's your theory on why they've decided to do the corruption vendor system the way it is? I genuinely want to see your theory considering your righteous fury in attacking me for criticizing it.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally being obtuse to troll, but I'm gonna assume you're able to extrapolate from an example anyway. Chill the fuck out and read what I'm saying again. You even brought up ICC as bad timegating as if that makes all timegating that comes after it good? ICC and SWP were both examples of egregious timegating which sucked. They were far worse examples.

You're still ignoring the question for some reason - what's your theory on why they've decided to do the corruption vendor system the way it is? I genuinely want to see your theory considering your righteous fury in attacking me for criticizing it.
    I told you. It's all.in this thread, you just need to fucking read my dude.

Here since reading seems to be a complication.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    it's only 4 weeks btw; 52 corruptions, 13 a week. and to be honest, I want mine to be the last that come out... because by then I will be able to get 2 or 3 rather than 1.
    Why is it a thing?
    1. hopefully to not overload the average player with massive choices
    2. A way to add variety, and while manipulative, RNG excitment "Finally my thing is up!"
    3. to keep corruptions still in somewhat of a check, they are buyyable now yes, but you cant get them right away
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    If full list of corruption pieces were on vendor it'd completely destroy the value of getting corruption through RNG (e.g. caches/visions) because then it just becomes a game of getting items with most optimal stats, purging them of corruptions (even if they're good) and reapplying BiS corruptions.

Given that I have a lot of shit corruption pieces from RNG it'd be nice if I could buy them all now but I appreciate why Blizzard have done it this way and considering they didn't even have to give us purchasable corruptions at all I'm happy being met halfway.

Also I know you're cynical of the game but try to be mature enough not to bundle people who have a different view point as being "part of the problem" ok champ
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexSignal View Post
    To avoid degenerate play
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-05-24 at 07:12 PM.

I told you. It's all.in this thread, you just need to fucking read my dude.
    Alright my guy, you're clearly just being angry someone is "attacking" daddy Blizzard and aren't interested in discussions that aren't positivity only. I'm not even negative about the system and you're still acting like a child lol. I'm out.

Alright my guy, you're clearly just being angry someone is "attacking" daddy Blizzard and aren't interested in discussions that aren't positivity only. I'm not even negative about the system and you're still acting like a child lol. I'm out.
    Surprise. You refused to read. Then when I put it right there for you "oh no your being mean, I guess I was right all along I'm not gunna read it"

You were wrong and you refuse to admit it.

Surprise. You refused to read. Then when I put it right there for you "oh no your being mean, I guess I was right all along I'm not gunna read it"

You were wrong and you refuse to admit it.
    Look, I know you want to feel big about the last word and all, but I'd genuinely love to admit to being wrong but you literally haven't presented any arguments beyond "omg you're so negative that makes me extremely angry". This "conversation" has been me treating you like an adult and you treating yourself like a child.

This is actually true. As someone on the alpha I can confirm they have made it even more obvious. They have hired an employee for every player who watches you play and makes sure to make you loot drop as little as possible, and all your father quests to drop 1 until your 19/20 then suddenly the last mob pack drops 8. They have really gone overboard.
    Ah right, and since we all know there are only about 100 active WoW players left this isn't even a monumental task for Blizzard to take on!

Ah right, and since we all know there are only about 100 active WoW players left this isn't even a monumental task for Blizzard to take on!
    100? wow you fucking blizz shill, my addon has only 28 downloads, that is proof there is only 28 people playing wow, go back to shilling shill.

Typical MMO-C move

Lets paint "this people" in bad light with...what is this exactly? A quote of something we never said?

Very imaginative.
    Keep fighting the good fight! The bad people never stop attacking. We must protect defend and serve!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Just another example of instead of DEFENDING blizzard you choose to attack the poster instead.
    Yes...this is surreal.

Just kill me with arguments, which should be easy if this game design is easily defendable and honest.
    If you can come up with a reason why a vendor changing what they hold on a rotation twice a week is suddenly time gating, but only having one chance a week to get gear from a raid is fine, then let's here it.

People are getting frustrated with this probably because there's been many examples as to why people believe what you're saying is wrong, yet it's still being argued.

I gave you a flat reason why this isn't time gating. It's not really something that was up for debate. It's just basic facts. The vendor is not preventing you from doing anything. You can still go and farm corruption from other sources. You're not locked out of content.

But it was somehow twisted into "well I can't buy it RIGHT NOW, so that's time gated!".

Corruption effects aren't content to be done.
    It's not like the Broken Shore or Suramar where you're waiting to continue a story.