Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

A thing that I don't understand regarding Apple.

I have recently started to take interest on a spec upgrade, regardless if it is Apple or a Custom Built PC.

I have looked on the Apple website and the specs I need will will probably cost me $5000+

After I looked Amazon and I found a MOBO Bundle

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 cores, 4.7GHz boost CPU, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard, 32GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
    + Graphics + PS + Case will cost me around $1500

I understand that somehow the MacOS is better in many ways, but why the fuck apple basic Mac Pro is expensive... They are nearly similar in specs

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I have recently started to take interest on a spec upgrade, regardless if it is Apple or a Custom Built PC.

I have looked on the Apple website and the specs I need will will probably cost me $5000+

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 cores, 4.7GHz boost CPU, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard, 32GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM

I understand that somehow the MacOS is better in many ways, but why the fuck apple basic Mac Pro is expensive... They are nearly similar in specs
    You’re not the target audience for the Mac Pro.

/thread
    Last edited by Shahad; 2020-05-24 at 12:13 PM.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

People pay the prices. That's all you need to know.

surely if you are on this forum then you like computer games therefore a mac really isn't an option.

15+ Year Old Account
    IMacs are still using 8th generation Intel when 10th generation is now popping up in machines.

They’re still charging current premium prices for hardware 2 generations old.

Don’t even get me started on how bad their graphics card options are.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Well I honestly don’t know. I like my MBP because it is well built and has somewhat good battery life. Hate MacOS tho because it is glorified shitty Linux.
    But why use macs for gaming is beyond me. They can’t run anything and hugely underspecced.

I use both Apple and PC products.

1. PC / Android generally is more customizable and gives you more access to hardware and software features.
    2. Apple simply runs FASTER. Its clearly better optimized.

If your top priority is speed, you use Apple.

I can't stand browsing the web on a non-Apple product. It drives me crazy how much slower it can be.

BTW, some websites are Apple exclusives as well. They won't even open on PC or Android.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    People pay the prices. That's all you need to know.
    Keep in mind, people are also anti-vaxx and flat earth and these days even anti mask. "People do this" should never ever mean "you should do this too".

Some people will try to justify anything that Apple tries to sell but the factual truth is that Apple products are horseshit in relation to their price.

Literally every person who buys these is a brainless fanatic unable to realize that their thousands of dollars spent on these garbage products only give them quarter the value of their money.

Let's not even mention the fact that Apple was caught red-handed and admitted artifically slowing down their product to force people to buy the new ones. Which are not new at all, they are literally the same sh*t with a different screen or coat of paint.

SO why are people buying these things? It's really simple, they are lied to.
    I consider the intentional misleading and exploitation of your own customers beyond redeemable and the whole company should face legal restrictions at this point.

Because Apple thinks they can charge that much and they have rich people they need to give money to(shareholders).

Mechagnome
    3+ Year Old Account

Unless you have a specific reason to go Mac Pro you should always be getting Windows software/hardware. You're really paying for the brand and nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    You have to buy what works best for you, your family, and your business. We run a lot of Apple devices, as well as Asus laptops for the windows side, but again: people thrashing the fruit company have to understand that some people need their hands held, it’s the only company that still has that 1970’s genuin support vs. Manilla “hai my naeme is FRANK” then they delete grandmas whole fucken system..

Look, if you hate apple, just stay the fuck away, but their is a reason the company does well - same as microsoft right now.. those two are doing very well.. sure nobody needs a 50,000$ mac pro , but who needs a 5,000,000 buggati either

10+ Year Old Account

The Mac Pro is awful value until you get to the high-end. Even buying the RAM from Apple AT ALL is a really bad deal, since it's cheaper to just buy it yourself and super easy to put in.

However, what you get for the money is a (subjectively) pretty computer. Even at the low end you're on a HEDT chipset, which means lots of PCIe (40+ lanes just from the CPU I believe) bandwidth unlike mainstream which is limited to ~16 lanes from a CPU and ~4 from the controller. You get it pre-assembled, and a full system warranty so if anything happens you can have it fixed without having to think about anything.

People are going to say that Macs in general are bad value, and that's.. Maybe true if you look at just performance. For feature parity as well they make some sense, it's just that almost no one cares about the features they offer, so there's no point in paying extra for them.

So unless you need MacOS, get a windows or linux machine.
    Head over to the build/upgrade subforum if you want help kitting out a system.

but why the fuck apple basic Mac Pro is expensive... They are nearly similar in specs
    But to answer this specifically:
    OS, case, cooling, full system warranty, and chipset would be the primary cost. That and being stuck on Intel, which is really bad value at the moment, costing many times what AMD does for the same core count. Is that worth 3500 dollars? Prolly not.

I understand that somehow the MacOS is better in very few ways, but why the fuck apple basic Mac Pro is expensive... They are nearly similar in specs
    Correction*

As a person who uses both Windows and Mac (OSX) a lot in both my private life and at work, there are very few things that are better with Mac/OSX.
    And it mostly revolves around Unix based stuff, some types programming/software development.

OS wise, i'd picker Windows over OSX in almost every case.

Some Apple devices do have very good hardware, such as the best trackpad in any laptop and usually good battery life/time per charge.

In the end it all depends on what you're going to use it for.
    Sethraz - Havoc Demon Hunter - Draenor EU - Achievement Points: 22220+ - Mounts: 472+

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

BTW, some websites are Apple exclusives as well. They won't even open on PC or Android.
    Wait, what?

Links to some of these sites? I've never heard of this.

1) That ram speed is atrocious.

2) Macos isn't better in any way.

3) The argument that there is a market for the mac pro is hilarious. Any company with someone intelligent in charge of IT would go for business hardware from Dell/similar or go for server hardware for compute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Wait, what?

Links to some of these sites? I've never heard of this.
    For many years, tradingview.com would not work on Android phones. It was an Apple phone exclusive. If you tried to pull up stock charts there, it would just spin. They added support for Android only very recently. Even then, chat + charts is NOT supported on Android. Chat + charts is only supported on Apple devices.

So if you want to trade stocks or watch the market on their very nice platform with busy chatrooms, either use a desktop or an Apple device. Android will not cut it.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

No, its crazy. I can't justify their insane prices.

However, I recently built a windows desktop after using a Mac Pro exclusively for 4 years. One thing I can say is how much better my Mac was. Almost NEVER had error issues, or random updates resetting my computer out of nowhere, bugs, etc. I have errors and bugs numerous times DAILY on the Windows. Like it's effing ridiculous. And it overall just feels clunkier, less polished.

The specs aren't as good on Mac, but everything seems to run way more efficiently and the OS is more user friendly on Mac. They also optimize their stuff better. A 3.4ghz processor running on Mac and Windows will work a little differently because Mac optimizes it better. They're also usually much quieter than typical (pre-built) Windows PCs, which can matter if you're using it all day. There is more to it than just numbers on paper.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2020-05-24 at 09:20 PM.

Their are people out their who have neither the knowledge and/or the time to bother themselves with building/setting up a system. But they are in need of a more powerful machine. Designers for example be it graficd, video or sound.

They just want to use it.

They can get that with Apple.

Even if you let someone do all the work for you there can always be problems with drivers and stuff

Apple is one ecosystem with its own optimized drivers and stuff and it just works(most of the time). And if it doesn’t you have a support for your whole system in one company. Hardware and Software.

On top of that are more optimized hardware and drivers and overall a smaller batch size.

People are willing to pay for that.
    If you are not...don’t.
    Yes. They are overpriced but so are a lot of other things.

And Apple is more for the user than horsepower and the name. Usability for example.
    You can build a way more powerful PC for a fraction of the budget.
    But you can not just build an Apple computer simply because you can not just install the OS. And even if you can there are things like power savings, cooling and so on where Apple put a lot of thought into.
    Last edited by Sámsa; 2020-05-24 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All you're paying for is a name.

Its like buying Alienware. Sure, its good stuff but its higher than buying raw components and building yourself
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything