Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post

    It excels at things like music, graphics, and "hand holding".
    Macs being "good" at music is a complete relic of a forgone era

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I have recently started to take interest on a spec upgrade, regardless if it is Apple or a Custom Built PC.

    I have looked on the Apple website and the specs I need will will probably cost me $5000+

    After I looked Amazon and I found a MOBO Bundle

    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 cores, 4.7GHz boost CPU, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard, 32GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
    + Graphics + PS + Case will cost me around $1500

    I understand that somehow the MacOS is better in many ways, but why the fuck apple basic Mac Pro is expensive... They are nearly similar in specs
    Apple stuff is more expensive because some people are willing to pay.

    You may ask "but why are they willing to pay that much?"

    If you're asking yourself that question,you're not the target for their whaling campaigns

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Macs being "good" at music is a complete relic of a forgone era
    it's actually a false belief built by the fact that a lot of music artists were sponsored by apple and therefore were always seen with macbooks
    so people see big famous musicians with macbooks and think "surely apple is better for music" without really questionning the why and how of it.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    it's actually a false belief built by the fact that a lot of music artists were sponsored by apple and therefore were always seen with macbooks
    so people see big famous musicians with macbooks and think "surely apple is better for music" without really questionning the why and how of it.
    Nah, it has nothing to do with that. Back in the day apple made their own cpus and outclassed everything on the market. Now they dont.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I use both Apple and PC products.

    1. PC / Android generally is more customizable and gives you more access to hardware and software features.
    2. Apple simply runs FASTER. Its clearly better optimized.

    If your top priority is speed, you use Apple.

    I can't stand browsing the web on a non-Apple product. It drives me crazy how much slower it can be.

    BTW, some websites are Apple exclusives as well. They won't even open on PC or Android.
    Well, this is obviously wrong.

    OP: Apple is expensive because you're paying for proprietary parts and, even more importantly, the name.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

  5. #45
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Nah, it has nothing to do with that. Back in the day apple made their own cpus and outclassed everything on the market. Now they dont.
    There's still more and better software available on macs than PCs, sadly. At least last I checked.

  6. #46
    I am Murloc! Mister K's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Under your desk
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

    If your top priority is speed, you use Apple.
    Based on what metrics, any proof of this claim? I guess not.
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...Pro-2019-1719/

    The line between performance with equal hardware is very low.

    Less misinformation please.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Some people will try to justify anything that Apple tries to sell but the factual truth is that Apple products are horseshit in relation to their price.

    Literally every person who buys these is a brainless fanatic unable to realize that their thousands of dollars spent on these garbage products only give them quarter the value of their money.

    Let's not even mention the fact that Apple was caught red-handed and admitted artifically slowing down their product to force people to buy the new ones. Which are not new at all, they are literally the same sh*t with a different screen or coat of paint.

    SO why are people buying these things? It's really simple, they are lied to.
    I consider the intentional misleading and exploitation of your own customers beyond redeemable and the whole company should face legal restrictions at this point.

    True and not true. I feel that the Apple ecosystem offers less worries as the closed hardware choices will cause less compatibility problems. If you are tech savvy and do your research, you can have just as good of a system in terms of compatibility.

    Another option is aesthetics but that isn't an argument as much as a preference so meh.

    Lastly, some people REQUIRE OSX, but that might be not out of choice (FCPX for instance, although why use it I don't know).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    3) The argument that there is a market for the mac pro is hilarious. Any company with someone intelligent in charge of IT would go for business hardware from Dell/similar or go for server hardware for compute.

    This. Dell Business line is leaps and bounds beyond Apple. There is a reason why they are pricey but if shit goes down, they have you covered.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    For many years, tradingview.com would not work on Android phones. It was an Apple phone exclusive. If you tried to pull up stock charts there, it would just spin. They added support for Android only very recently. Even then, chat + charts is NOT supported on Android. Chat + charts is only supported on Apple devices.

    So if you want to trade stocks or watch the market on their very nice platform with busy chatrooms, either use a desktop or an Apple device. Android will not cut it.
    I don't know of any web development company to focus on OSX first. Sure apps? Yeh you have iOS and Android exclusives, but websites? No. Chrome > IE > Firefox/Safari for usability. Again sounds like misinformation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    But for work Apple is simply superior with absolutely amazing sharing, casting and collaboration tools built-in right into Mac OS. I especially love iPad and MacBook combo, that one is outright brilliant in between seamlessly using iPad as 2nd screen for MacBook on the go or airdropping my written notes right into MacBook and back and casting with AirPlay immediately to any screen installed in my office floor from either of the devices, that's just great.

    Heck I even decided once to make a video presentation for some specific developed module and in Windows, I'd have to go install some 3rd party software for that after 5 trials and errors in finding one that does not blow and is free, so I naturally thought "Apple, pfft they must be charging arm and leg for this"... nope - included right there as basic Mac OS function any quality you want ready to fire at a simple hotkey combo.

    So yeah, when it comes to usability, UX and bundled capabilities - beats the living snot out of Windows with its included tools from 90s' and various Linux distributions with their atrocious UX. Gaming though, just no, IMO it's one big Apple's mistake that one.

    MacBooks might seem pricy, but when you compare them to Windows workstation flagships of similar configuration - suddenly the delta is pretty small if at all. For example my Dell Precision actually costs more than my MacBook Pro while having almost identical configuration. The only difference is that I have Quadro on Precision and Vega Pro on Macbook.

    Mac desktops though are definitely in their own grade, it's simply a dedicated hardware at that point.
    Slack is used everywhere, allows for filesharing.
    Lots of companies will have their own NAS to share files.
    I would disagree that OSX UX that clean and easy, it lacks customazibility which is very important at a big production warehouse.
    Could of got Davinci Resolve, blows FCPX
    Could of got OpenOffice or Powerpoint for presentation

    The idea "it's fur prefizionals" is just so wrong. Maybe designers who can roll with a MacBook and worry less about compatibility issues that may come with Windows.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    lolwut. Its more secure, uses a better more reliable file system, is quite a bit more lightweight on hardware.... i can go on, but at this point you're so far off in la-la land that no amount of factual information is going to penetrate. ?
    Might be faster, but more reliable? Not sure about that one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The scientific community.

    The entire Movie industry.

    The entire TV industry.
    Stop spreading misinformation. They use whatever they want to use and is effective for the job. There is no bias.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2020-05-25 at 01:21 PM.
    - Professional Russian - ex Front End Web Dev / Aspiring Cinematographer

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The scientific community.
    I'm gonna stop you right there.

    most scientists (as in research scientists) use either Linux or Windows. Almost none of them use macOS for work whatsoever,as the inferior hardware and limited software availability can make a 20 hour process into a week long one. no one has that kind of time to waste

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I use both Apple and PC products.

    1. PC / Android generally is more customizable and gives you more access to hardware and software features.
    2. Apple simply runs FASTER. Its clearly better optimized.

    If your top priority is speed, you use Apple.

    I can't stand browsing the web on a non-Apple product. It drives me crazy how much slower it can be.
    That's not true at all. I run macOS too and I cannot see how this OS is any faster or more "optimized"(what?) than Windows.
    I mean sure I can see why some people prefer macOS over Windows such as its design, workflow etc... however macOS simply being faster is just nonsense.

    BTW, some websites are Apple exclusives as well. They won't even open on PC or Android.
    Such as?

  9. #49
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,641
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    All you're paying for is a name.

    Its like buying Alienware. Sure, its good stuff but its higher than buying raw components and building yourself
    Bahahahahahahahahaha! Alienware? Good stuff? Apple? Good stuff? Boy that's rich.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    There's still more and better software available on macs than PCs, sadly. At least last I checked.
    Such as?

    I'd argue that there is far more software out there for Windows than Macs lol. And usually Mac exclusive software is made by Apple themselves, such as Xcode (main reason I have to have a 2nd pc with macOS installed, since you need Xcode to compile and publish iOS apps), Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Nah, it has nothing to do with that. Back in the day apple made their own cpus and outclassed everything on the market. Now they dont.
    Laptops weren't common back then when Apple was still using PPC...

    And PPC was actually any good back in the 90s, however in the 2000s they were extremely inefficient and outdated compared to x86. Some of the last generations of PowerMacs needed water cooling (they were still extremely heavy and loud machines) to just work ffs. There's a good reason Apple made the switch to x86.

  11. #51
    Legendary! Nnyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haomarush
    Posts
    6,667
    You basically just pay 80% for the name.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    usually Mac exclusive software is made by Apple themselves, such as Xcode (main reason I have to have a 2nd pc with macOS installed, since you need Xcode to compile and publish iOS apps), Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro.
    I can't talk about final cut pro, but I can definitely talk about logic pro and it's certainly not better than Cubase, protool, studio one pro or even Reaper which you can basically use for free. I don't see how a Mac is better than a PC for music production. for sure Logic or garageband is more user friendly if you just want to make song demos, but for more serious production, I'd go with a good PC and Cubase/studio one in a heartbeat

  13. #53
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Such as?

    I'd argue that there is far more software out there for Windows than Macs lol. And usually Mac exclusive software is made by Apple themselves, such as Xcode (main reason I have to have a 2nd pc with macOS installed, since you need Xcode to compile and publish iOS apps), Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro.
    Logic Pro is some of the most powerful and customizable software for creating music. There just isn't an equivalent on Windows from what I know.

    At least that's what I've been told

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Logic Pro is some of the most powerful and customizable software for creating music. There just isn't an equivalent on Windows from what I know.

    At least that's what I've been told
    It's 100% true. The closest alternative that professionals actually use is Pro Tools and 99% of the time, they prefer that to be on Apple. Music editing and proofing is still done almost entirely on Apple. Video editing is also hugely done on Apple, but they lost some foothold when companies like Pixar started using Linux. Still, a huge majority of creation is done in Apple.

    For home usage, Macs and Macbooks are still popular because they work great. You pay a premium, but you get things that just aren't offered on PC too. Having things like iMessage, syncing photos, iCloud integration, hardware synergy in the ecosystem are very important for a lot of people and just not there on PC. Their hardware tends to last longer in the ecosystem too. My wifes 2014 Macbook Pro runs like new. Its snappy, its fast, its still 100% usable without her wanting to buy a new one. At work we replace our employees laptops after 3 years. We give the employees the option to take theirs home for personal when we upgrade (after a wipe and reinstall of Windows). We have a stack of Dell Latitudes that we can't even give away because nobody wants them.

    To those who cry that Apple products are "horse shit", you have a very narrow view of the world. Just because it isn't the best choice for you doesn't mean that its not the best choice for others. Its the same bullshit fanboyism that fuels the console vs pc where its a cardinal sin to like both. Apple and PC are both amazing, just use what you like and quit acting like a one is the defacto best for everyone, gamer or not.
    Last edited by lloose; 2020-05-25 at 05:15 PM.
    :::: Intel 9900k w/ Corsair H150pro
    :::: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000mhz DDR4
    :::: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 2080ti Founders Edition
    :::: 2 Asus PG279QZ Monitors at 165hz Gsync

  15. #55
    The Patient Sanstos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I'm gonna stop you right there.

    most scientists (as in research scientists) use either Linux or Windows. Almost none of them use macOS for work whatsoever,as the inferior hardware and limited software availability can make a 20 hour process into a week long one. no one has that kind of time to waste
    What are you on about? OSX is Unix based, it perfoms MILES faster than Windows.

    "research scientists" dont process data that creates bottle necks for ANY system. Im really confused about what kind of research you're talking about.

    "Software availability can make a 20 hour process into a week long one" what does this mean? What limited software? NO research anywhere on Earth is going to rely on a single use platform for what they're doing. If you can name one "research" tool that Windows or OSX or Linux has a monopoly over, please let me know.

    I was an intern at 3 different companies. Botanical Gardens, JPL, and MagTek and all 3 places never had a "Windows only" or "OSX only" because of "limited" software. 3 very distinct places.

    Let me know what exactly you're talking about.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post

    "research scientists" dont process data that creates bottle necks for ANY system. Im really confused about what kind of research you're talking about.
    I agree with your other points but this is wrong. I work in an industry with laboratories. We have several lab techs and scientists who require beastly systems for computation. I just ordered several Dell Precisions with RTX based Quatro GPU's, 24 core Xeon e7 cpu's, and 256gb of ram. I've seen loads on these that cap out the CPU and GPU for hours at a time.

    We don't have any Apple products in our labs, I don't even think that the software they use is available on OSX.
    :::: Intel 9900k w/ Corsair H150pro
    :::: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000mhz DDR4
    :::: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 2080ti Founders Edition
    :::: 2 Asus PG279QZ Monitors at 165hz Gsync

  17. #57
    When you walk into the Apple store or browse its website and have to ask how much... you're probably shopping in the wrong spot..

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    lolwut. Its more secure, uses a better more reliable file system, is quite a bit more lightweight on hardware.... i can go on, but at this point you're so far off in la-la land that no amount of factual information is going to penetrate.
    Only drawback with my MAC work computer is it's file system. Especially when we get to large image sequences of feature films and such. Takes forever for it to show up and can't do much until it does. PC loads every image after each other instead of a batch (I assume that's how it works because that's how it appears).
    Everyone at work uses the PC to move a large amount of files for that reason.

  19. #59
    The Patient Sanstos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I agree with your other points but this is wrong. I work in an industry with laboratories. We have several lab techs and scientists who require beastly systems for computation. I just ordered several Dell Precisions with RTX based Quatro GPU's, 24 core Xeon e7 cpu's, and 256gb of ram. I've seen loads on these that cap out the CPU and GPU for hours at a time.

    We don't have any Apple products in our labs, I don't even think that the software they use is available on OSX.
    What software? What kind of computational data? Are these data sets available to the public? I need to see this.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    What software? What kind of computational data? Are these data sets available to the public? I need to see this.
    Why would our dataset be available to the public? We pay our people to do research for our company, not charity work. I'm not going to say where I work, but it's in the beer industry. The computation workload is similar to protein folding.
    Last edited by lloose; 2020-05-25 at 06:11 PM.
    :::: Intel 9900k w/ Corsair H150pro
    :::: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000mhz DDR4
    :::: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 2080ti Founders Edition
    :::: 2 Asus PG279QZ Monitors at 165hz Gsync

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •