Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Corsair custom GPU blocks leak

Looks like Corsair have a huge problem with their GPU blocks, wich leaks.

JayzTwoCents has testet a XG7 block and it had MAJOR leak problems

So if you are gonna do a custom water build, then i would not go the Corsair way right now. Corsair them self are looking in to it, to see what the problem is (Cheap plastic)

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Thats sad. I've had really good luck with their AIO's. I've used 3 or 4 so far in my builds and never had a leak, but custom water cooling is an entirely different beast.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

I mean it looks more like the problem was loose screws (possibly because of cheap plastic) and a design flaw where sheer force can break the seal as a result.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I mean it looks more like the problem was loose screws (possibly because of cheap plastic) and a design flaw where sheer force can break the seal as a result.
    He does it again after he tightens the screws and it still leaks and he puts the EK block under the same force and it doesn't leak at all. So yeah a big design flaw and one that shouldn't happen when it comes to custom water cooling.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Yeah I mean it looks like the fix here is a third screw between to o rings to lower the amount of travel in the plastic under sheer force.

I think the issue here is the problem will be rare enough people will use the cooler for its whole lifespan without knowing but it's also a big enough problem that to fix it they'll need to do a remould.
    Ah well sometimes good companies come out with clangers, that's life I guess.

It is pretty obvious they do.

2016 EK had radiators that leaked as well. Bad enough for a straight up recall.

Truth is these are parts made and designed by humans. Errors will occur in design. I am not to surprised by the Corsair design leaking. A lot of effort looked to be put into appearance that they probably strapped on or modified into an existing companies parts (EKs). Also they aren't exactly super long term invested time or dollars wise. Bound to happen honestly.

End of the day custom water cooling has risks. Not much more you can say about it. Any brand can fail and leak because of design or user error. I have built about 10 loops in my life. Only had one that ever really leaked and it wasn't a disaster thankfully. Things will be worked out with this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Yeah I mean it looks like the fix here is a third screw between to o rings to lower the amount of travel in the plastic under sheer force.

I think the issue here is the problem will be rare enough people will use the cooler for its whole lifespan without knowing but it's also a big enough problem that to fix it they'll need to do a remould.
    Ah well sometimes good companies come out with clangers, that's life I guess.
    knowing that it is EK boys behind the Corsair custom line-up, the problem should be fixed pretty fast.

With the PSU on the ground this issues are serious, even if it just leaks drops - as the original YT creator posted, you can't really ignore it when it goes into your PSU.
    -

Their AIO's are top notch but if I ever wanted a custom loop I wouldn't buy from Corsair.

Well at least it's finally getting momentum after a few months of it being known lmao. A channel called Major Hardware actually brought this up months ago.

while obviously its a design flaw im not sure how dangerous it is under normal circumstances
    these blocks are on the market for some time and you dont really hear about people frying their rigs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    while obviously its a design flaw im not sure how dangerous it is under normal circumstances
    these blocks are on the market for some time and you dont really hear about people frying their rigs
    The reason you don't hear it frying systems is because people leak test their loops first, and if it leaks they fix it. It's not an issue that happens after X amount of time, it happens if you pull on the fittings too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's not an issue that happens after X amount of time, it happens if you pull on the fittings too hard.
    yeah which also doesn't really happen while you are leak testing or just running a properly build loop

you would need to fuck up your build badly in order to had this happen (obviously from what iv seen, i did not had this blocks in hand) without actually using your hands to bend the fittings

either way it should be fixed i just dont think it such a big deal

People still use water cooling? Cute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    People still use water cooling? Cute.
    Looks nice, is quiet, and is fun.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally won't touch anything Corsair makes. Considering the H80 I had died on me after 3 months, I've stayed away from their products ever since. Never been a fan of their quality either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I personally won't touch anything Corsair makes. Considering the H80 I had died on me after 3 months, I've stayed away from their products ever since. Never been a fan of their quality either.
    Their Fans, Cases(a bit iffy of late though), Ram and PSUs are great, although a bit on the pricy side. I do also like their keyboards, but there are better cheaper options out there.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    I guess I'm not understanding the outrage about this either. As Jay said in the video normal mounting is unlikely to put the needed pressure on it to leak.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I think the issue is that regardless of how severe it may or may not be a design flaw like this shouldn't exist. Corsair opted to not make the manifold out of a single piece that's apart of the actual block itself like other reputable companies such as EK and instead cheaped out. On top of that they cheaped out on the fastening of the manifold to the waterblock base with only going with 2 flimsy connection pins over 3+ to secure the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayved View Post
    Corsair opted to not make the manifold out of a single piece that's apart of the actual block itself like other reputable companies such as EK
    EK (and pretty much everyone else nowadays) is using literally the same design as corsair, they just have more screws and potentially higher quality materials