Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is next gen console going to change CPU prices?

Hi everyone!

So I will have to change my CPU in the near futur, I was curious to know if you think the next gen is going to change anything in the CPU prices and on the computers needs in the years to come? And if I should wait for the next gen to buy anything?

I'm hearing "ray-tracing" everywhere and it feels like it's a technology that needs a lot of power behind, so do you think computers builds will be affected by this?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nope.... Never have, never will
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Ray tracing is going to be done on GPUs, not CPUs.

CPU prices atm are pretty damn cheap if you don't go for the highend.

Buuut. Assuming you meant to say GPU, Nvidia will find a way to charge 1k+ for the top card again. Maybe for their top 2 this time if things go how they've been going. And I fear AMD will follow suit. I'd expect things not to be cheap this year at least, considering the pandemic is making everything more expensive atm.

Truth is if you buy a pretty good CPU it probably will last you a good bit of time as long as your not a bleeding edge of proformance chaser. You will just need to switch out that GPU around every two or so generations. Although with compitition starting up again in both these markets innovation might lead to another rat race situation like the early 2000s. But that is very much a wait and see. No way to predict that.

But prices are going to stay the same while going up on the inflation curve would be my pridition there. Once companies see people will pay X its not likely they will ever offer something simular for less.

Seeing as the newly released mobile Ryzen 4000's are apparently a variation of what'll be in Consoles (At least according to Austin Evans) I don't see consoles really affecting CPU prices in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayved View Post
    Seeing as the newly released mobile Ryzen 4000's are apparently a variation of what'll be in Consoles (At least according to Austin Evans) I don't see consoles really affecting CPU prices in any way.
    Basically. Theyre just Zen 2 chips, like we already have.

And theyre being produced bespoke for Sony and Microsoft, so theyre not going to be affecting the CPUs on the market at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayved View Post
    Not really. They're custom APUs based on Zen 2 and TSMC vanilla 7nm (for now, at least, pretty sure it will transition to improved 7nm in time). So CPU core-wise it's Ryzen 3000, GPU-wise they're new. I'm pretty sure AMD isnt going to use Navi with RT capability in 4000 series APUs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Not really. They're custom APUs based on Zen 2 and TSMC vanilla 7nm (for now, at least, pretty sure it will transition to improved 7nm in time). So CPU core-wise it's Ryzen 3000, GPU-wise they're new. I'm pretty sure AMD isnt going to use Navi with RT capability in 4000 series APUs.
    They aren't. Theyre using Vega.

Theyve been spotted in the online benchmark sites already for some time. I think even the Ryzen 7 APU (glad to see them finally pushing APUs with more than 4 cores) only has the Vega 11 like the 3400G.

And the units for the Series X and PS4 are a little more than APUs most likely, just for heat dissipation. Theyre likely on the same package, but are actually probably separate dies. IIRC, some of the leaks of what looked to be potential units for these looked almost TR4 sized (so, a CPU die/s on one side and the GPU cores on the other) so that they dont melt. So its not, "strictly speaking" what they call an APU, but its close enough for me to call it a distinction without a real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    They aren't. Theyre using Vega.

Theyve been spotted in the online benchmark sites already for some time. I think even the Ryzen 7 APU (glad to see them finally pushing APUs with more than 4 cores) only has the Vega 11 like the 3400G.

And the units for the Series X and PS4 are a little more than APUs most likely, just for heat dissipation. Theyre likely on the same package, but are actually probably separate dies. IIRC, some of the leaks of what looked to be potential units for these looked almost TR4 sized (so, a CPU die/s on one side and the GPU cores on the other) so that they dont melt. So its not, "strictly speaking" what they call an APU, but its close enough for me to call it a distinction without a real difference.
    Nothing wrong with that. But those GPU cores better be 7nm, otherwise it's gonna be hooot.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Nothing wrong with that. But those GPU cores better be 7nm, otherwise it's gonna be hooot.
    For the Ryzen APUs? Nah, even if they are full sized Vega, it doesn't really add a lot of heat. No one's going to be using them to push heavy GPU loads anyway - theyre just finally adressing the "i do work that needs CPU cores but does not need a GPU" market, which is great.

I want to build my wife a streaming rig (separate from her PC) because she also streams cooking and crafting and stuff, and her Surface Go, while it can handle one camera, struggles with 2 or more (and i mean, its a PentiumG so ..). I want to be able to cram it into a tiny ITX case (the InWin Chopin). I'd love to be able to use a six-core or 8-core Ryzen just so she could also render video on it if she wanted, and not having to try to fit in a GPU lets it be in that tiny case so its easier for her to move around. Temporarily, since i had it sitting around, ill be using her old 6600K with a used H110 iTX board i picked up cheap on FB Market, but itd be great to be able to get a B550 ITX board and a Ryzen 5 or 7 APU down the road.

As for the Series X and PS5, those are assuredly 7nm Navi. (From what people have said, a kind of hybrid Navi 1.5 with the RT features of Big Navi on the original Navi process)

For the Ryzen APUs? Nah, even if they are full sized Vega, it doesn't really add a lot of heat. No one's going to be using them to push heavy GPU loads anyway - theyre just finally adressing the "i do work that needs CPU cores but does not need a GPU" market, which is great.

I want to build my wife a streaming rig (separate from her PC) because she also streams cooking and crafting and stuff, and her Surface Go, while it can handle one camera, struggles with 2 or more (and i mean, its a PentiumG so ..). I want to be able to cram it into a tiny ITX case (the InWin Chopin). I'd love to be able to use a six-core or 8-core Ryzen just so she could also render video on it if she wanted, and not having to try to fit in a GPU lets it be in that tiny case so its easier for her to move around. Temporarily, since i had it sitting around, ill be using her old 6600K with a used H110 iTX board i picked up cheap on FB Market, but itd be great to be able to get a B550 ITX board and a Ryzen 5 or 7 APU down the road.

As for the Series X and PS5, those are assuredly 7nm Navi. (From what people have said, a kind of hybrid Navi 1.5 with the RT features of Big Navi on the original Navi process)
    Uh? Full sized Vega, i.e. Vega 64, even in the case of Radeon 7 which is on a smaller node is 331mm2 die size, which just wont fit under AM4 IHS. Heaviest GPU configuration so far has been 11 CUs, which is a huge jump.

In terms of streaming any kind of AMD GPUs are a non-valid option currently. It's just not supported properly.

Uh? Full sized Vega, i.e. Vega 64, even in the case of Radeon 7 which is on a smaller node is 331mm2 die size, which just wont fit under AM4 IHS. Heaviest GPU configuration so far has been 11 CUs, which is a huge jump.

In terms of streaming any kind of AMD GPUs are a non-valid option currently. It's just not supported properly.
    Its times like this im reminded why i have you on ignore, and why i should probably have just not engaged. Your reading comprehension is SHIT.

You said:

And i said:

For the Ryzen APUs? Nah, even if they are full sized Vega, it doesn't really add a lot of heat.
    You know, full-sized, 14nm Vega, not the 7nm process used in Radeon 7.

Nowhere, at all, ever, did i mention a full size GPU. In fact,

I think even the Ryzen 7 APU (glad to see them finally pushing APUs with more than 4 cores) only has the Vega 11 like the 3400G.
    I mentioned that they use the SAME VEGA 11 GPU CORES THAT ARE IN THE 3400G, which are 14nm.

And then that those dont really add a ton of heat, especially if you dont OC them. So, no, they wont run particularly hot. No one buying one of these APUs is using the iGPU for heavy lifting.

Seriously want to put the Jackie-Chan "WTF?!" look ASCII here.

Why are you even bringing that up? Who said one fucking thing about streaming with an AMD GPU?

Certainly not me... what i said was:

I want to be able to cram it into a tiny ITX case (the InWin Chopin). I'd love to be able to use a six-core or 8-core Ryzen just so she could also render video on it if she wanted, and not having to try to fit in a GPU lets it be in that tiny case so its easier for her to move around.
    The point was that it DOESN'T have a GPU. (But does have plenty of CPU cores so it can handle multiple cameras well, and be used to do encoding if she decides to save and upload her streams to YouTube later or something).

So it can fit into a small case.

Holy shit, learn to read.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious to see what the consoles will do to the hard drive market. They will use Pcie 4.0 if I'm not mistaken, so most likely NVME since they are so small. I just got a 1TB 4.0 NVME drive for 200$. Worth it though.

Might wanna think about that in case you were planning a mobo upgrade, but maybe you're someone who doesn't give a damn about storage, in which case just ignore this.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I'm curious to see what the consoles will do to the hard drive market. They will use Pcie 4.0 if I'm not mistaken, so most likely NVME since they are so small. I just got a 1TB 4.0 NVME drive for 200$. Worth it though.

Might wanna think about that in case you were planning a mobo upgrade, but maybe you're someone who doesn't give a damn about storage, in which case just ignore this.
    There's almost zero real world performance gain going from PCIe 3.0 to 4.0 NVMe drives. The only real benefit is that it allows you to put more drives in without having to use chipset PCIe lanes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post

There's no difference going from PCIe gen 3 to gen 4 for storage outside of benchmarks.
    As for what the consoles will do to the SSD market? Probably push prices up since there'll be more competition for the NAND so SSD makers can't get it as cheaply

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its times like this im reminded why i have you on ignore, and why i should probably have just not engaged. Your reading comprehension is SHIT.
    Why do you allways feel the need to tell every body that you have them on ignore?. I don't think ANY ONE on this forum gives a rats ass about you having them on ignore or not.

Do you get almighty and stuff, telling people that you have them on ignore or are gonna put them on ignore? It's really starting to get old and annoying having to read again and again about all the people you have and will put on ignore.......... again NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

You know, full-sized, 14nm Vega, not the 7nm process used in Radeon 7.
    When talking about GPUs full-sized always means full specified CU count. No other way around it.

I mentioned that they use the SAME VEGA 11 GPU CORES THAT ARE IN THE 3400G, which are 14nm.
    3400G is a monolithic die, which is manufactured on a 12nm node. But ok.

And then that those dont really add a ton of heat, especially if you dont OC them. So, no, they wont run particularly hot. No one buying one of these APUs is using the iGPU for heavy lifting.
    Ofc those do add a SHITLOAD of heat. It's Vega afterall. And idk but streaming/rendering is heavy lifting.

Why are you even bringing that up? Who said one fucking thing about streaming with an AMD GPU?

Certainly not me... what i said was:
    Yes you did:

I want to build my wife a streaming rig
    Oh wait... you did. Rendering and streaming is same shit btw, the only difference is that you're rendering realtime when you're streaming. Rendering/streaming without GPU acceleration is currently kinda pointless.

The point was that it DOESN'T have a GPU. (But does have plenty of CPU cores so it can handle multiple cameras well, and be used to do encoding if she decides to save and upload her streams to YouTube later or something).

So it can fit into a small case.
    I get what the point is. It's been a wet dream of many for a while. But AMD needs to get their shit together with the software first.

Holy shit, learn to read.
    You seriously need to chill dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    There's no difference going from PCIe gen 3 to gen 4 for storage outside of benchmarks.
    As for what the consoles will do to the SSD market? Probably push prices up since there'll be more competition for the NAND so SSD makers can't get it as cheaply
    Nah. There's plenty of memory on the market, SSDs have made their way into all laptops and into a lot of enterprise stuff already, so I doubt console demand is gonna change anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    CPU's last forever nowdays it seems, bought my i7 2600k in late 2010 and i replaced it autumn 2019, and over the years i've upgraded the platform around it with a new MB since the original broke (P67 to Z77) and a Noctua NH-D14 to keep it cool and i also went from 2x4gb 1600mhz ddr3 to 4x4gb 2133mhz ddr3 and this CPU was paired with following GPU's during the years.. GTX 460 - GTX 670 - GTX 680 SLI - GTX 780 Ti - GTX 980 Ti, rest of the system was a AX850 PSU and 2x256gb Samsung 840 pro in RAID 0.

Now i got x570 mb, r7 3700x 2x8gb ddr4 3200 memory cooled by a huge bequiet dark rock pro 4 and a RX 5700 XT gpu and a 1tb m.2 ssd from samsung 860 evo i think? and im still using my AX850 which is turning 12 years of service soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That increased demand might mean that the foundries produce more nand. And eventually drive the price down