power button broken

My parents PC broke, and i'm 99% sure it's just the power button that's broken. When they plug the PC in it boots for a few seconds then shuts off, and they have had to use a screwdriver to make the button work in the first place for a while, sounds like it's just making a permanent connection to me.

Any quick fixes for this? I googled front panel cable and at first glance they seem quite expensive. can i just try pulling the the cable out of the case and jury rigging some kind of button onto it?

Buy a new button? Take the case off to see if there's anything you can obviously fix, but if you can't buy a new button then buy a new case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    can i just try pulling the the cable out of the case and jury rigging some kind of button onto it?
    Yes.
    Or you can tell them to leave the side panel off and use a screwdriver to bride the correct pins when they want to start their PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yes.
    Or you can tell them to leave the side panel off and use a screwdriver to bride the correct pins when they want to start their PC.
    tried that but they don't wanna pull out any wires. so at this point i'm just making sure i have some solution ready when i go over there.

Remove the power button connector from the Motherboard and install a custom button
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTC9zEcATI
    Before doing that make sure the problem is the power button, try to turn on the pc with a screwdriver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPZlliGqBw
    Last edited by Nirty999; 2020-05-26 at 01:16 PM.

If the case has a reset button, use that one as a power button. Switch out power and reset wires on the motherboard (If the power button is short-circuited unplug the wire from the mobo).