1. #21441
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    And thats the reason why we dont have unqualified people like yourself have any power over others.
    What are you talking about? There are plenty of people in power with power over others that are very unqualified for their job.

  2. #21442
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Do they allow private citizens to murder them without repercussion?

    Because let's be clear; Rosenbaum was convicted and served his time. His past crimes have no relevance whatsoever. Literally all you're trying to do is identify "undesirables", so that they can be extrajudicially murdered for no crimes, simply because you have deemed them "undesirable".

    That's fascism. That attitude can fuck off.
    You should leave safe and progressive Canada for a change. Not many people think like you do

  3. #21443
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    And thats the reason why we dont have unqualified people like yourself have any power over others.
    This is an internet forum dude, not a court of law.

  4. #21444
    Immortal PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    7,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    And thats the reason why we dont have unqualified people like yourself have any power over others.
    This is a joke, right?

    <confused travolta meme>

    On what grounds do you (amusingly) declare yourself to be more qualified in this discussion than anyone else?


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  5. #21445
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,272
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Dont be obtuse about this Endus. The prosecution has F up more times then i can count and each and every single one of those mistakes can be used to declare a mistrial. The judge will take this into account.
    The only legitimate grounds for a mistrial with prejudice is if the prosecution has fucked up so egregiously it's clear they weren't approaching the prosecution in good faith. Normal errors or attempts to use disallowed lines of argument aren't grounds for mistrials with prejudice; they're grounds for the opposing team to object, and the judge to exclude that line of inquiry/evidence.

    Mistrials with prejudice are more about cases where, say, the prosecution has exculpatory evidence that they know clears the accused, but they do not turn that over in discovery to the defense and in fact try to conceal it, and prosecute anyway. Which isn't comparable to what's happened in the Rittenhouse trial, at any level.

    The Rittenhouse prosecutors are pretty terrible, but they're reacting to a judge who's equally terrible, and there's no real grounds for a mistrial with prejudice on this.

    A mistrial in general is almost certainly a boon to the prosecution, here, since they can shore up the weak points of their argument and get the technical bullshit worked out for next time, and possibly get new prosecutors in here who know what the fuck they're doing. It won't help the defense, unless it's with prejudice, and there's really no legitimate grounds for that here.


  6. #21446
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Shit like this is going to result in a mistrial. perhaps even with prejudice
    Not likely. Unless they can show that the freelancer had any contact with members of the jury. Which, thus far, they have not. So far they can't even be sure he was even following the jury... just that he was nearby.

    and even if the dude was following the Jury van around... that, by itself, shouldn't have any impact on the jury's deliberations.

  7. #21447
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    No, because again, this was premeditated. If they decided, while not in a panicked state, to put themselves willingly in a position in which, during a panicked state, they shot and killed a man, then that panic doesn't absolve the premeditation.

    Their conscious, unpanicked decisions led to his death, plain and simple.
    No. I doubt they can find anything that would make this a first degree murder

  8. #21448
    Immortal PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    7,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    You should leave safe and progressive Canada for a change. Not many people think like you do
    Not many people in your far-right echo chamber do, perhaps. The rest of the world would beg to differ.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  9. #21449
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,272
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    You should leave safe and progressive Canada for a change. Not many people think like you do
    I've travelled internationally a fair bit. I've also worked internationally with people from a couple dozen different countries, on all six continents that matter (as Antarctica, y'know, no native population). So spare me your attempts at normalizing brutal fascism.


  10. #21450
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is an internet forum dude, not a court of law.
    indeed im glad you noticed. that means you conclusions means nothing to me.

  11. #21451
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Strange pivot there from our Rittenhouse defender. Accuses Edge of being a mind reader as a bad thing but somehow thinks that Rittenhouse's mind reading abilities to justify shooting Rosenbaum is a good thing. Sometimes the jokes just write themselves...
    Telepathy of any kind should not be allowed as evidence in a court of law. *





    *Unless it helps my clients defense.

  12. #21452
    Immortal PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    7,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    No. I doubt they can find anything that would make this a first degree murder
    What do you mean "find anything"?

    The evidence is all there. They chased him down, harassed him, then shot and killed him.

    You don't really understand the law, do you?


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  13. #21453
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    No. I doubt they can find anything that would make this a first degree murder
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/u...ndictment.html

    On Wednesday, the office of District Attorney Joyette M. Holmes of Cobb County announced that a grand jury in Glynn County had returned an indictment with nine counts against each of the three defendants: malice murder, four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.
    Which is fine, since nobody is really arguing it was first degree murder and they're not charged with first degree murder. I believe "malice murder" is the state equivalent of second degree murder, which absolutely does fit though.

  14. #21454
    Immortal PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    7,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    indeed im glad you noticed. that means you conclusions means nothing to me.
    Clearly they mean something to you, otherwise you wouldn't be here attempting (unsuccessfully) to fight those conclusions.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  15. #21455
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I've travelled internationally a fair bit. I've also worked internationally with people from a couple dozen different countries, on all six continents that matter (as Antarctica, y'know, no native population). So spare me your attempts at normalizing brutal fascism.
    No you dont. Everything you say or do screams to me that you never left the shores of the America. What you say is fascist is pretty normal in the rest of the world. Yes Rosenbaum did serve his time but in other countries he would not live long beyond the borders of western Europe.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/u...ndictment.html



    Which is fine, since nobody is really arguing it was first degree murder and they're not charged with first degree murder. I believe "malice murder" is the state equivalent of second degree murder, which absolutely does fit though.
    I dont disagree.

  16. #21456
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,272
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    indeed im glad you noticed. that means you conclusions means nothing to me.
    Fun fact; this is a public forum, and we have an audience.

    Nobody here is trying to convince you. We're all speaking to the audience, so they can see how wrong you are.

    I really don't know why you folks think this shit is about convincing you of anything. That's just a whopping unwarranted sense of entitlement and importance.


  17. #21457
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    What you say is fascist is pretty normal in the rest of the world.
    It really, really isn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Yes Rosenbaum did serve his time but in other countries he would not live long beyond the borders of western Europe.
    So what countries are we talking about? Places where extrajudicial killings are routine because the state has no monopoly on the use of force?

  18. #21458
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What do you mean "find anything"?

    The evidence is all there. They chased him down, harassed him, then shot and killed him.

    You don't really understand the law, do you?
    not even the prosecutor is going for first degree murder.

  19. #21459
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,272
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    No you dont. Everything you say or do screams to me that you never left the shores of the America. What you say is fascist is pretty normal in the rest of the world. Yes Rosenbaum did serve his time but in other countries he would not live long beyond the borders of western Europe.
    Like I care what you think about me.

    I've spent a fair bit of time in the UK with family (second cousins and the like). I've backpacked across the Mediterranean, from London to Santorini. I've traveled through a lot of the east coast of the USA (driving down through Virginia the last time). I don't have to prove anything to you.

    You're pushing authoritarian fascist nonsense, and that's not how first world countries' legal systems work. Pointing to second-world developing nations doesn't help your case against that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    not even the prosecutor is going for first degree murder.
    Edit: Oh, it appears you meant the Arbery case. Let me retract my prior post in this place, and instead post this;

    You're lying about this, because they're facing one count of malice murder and four counts of felony murder. "Malice murder" is the local equivalent of "first-degree", in legal terms.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-11-18 at 08:16 PM.


  20. #21460
    Immortal PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    7,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    not even the prosecutor is going for first degree murder.
    Hardly means that it wasn't or that they don't think that it was. It just indicates that they're not as confident about convincing a 12-member jury of it.

    But there's absolutely evidence of premeditation. They would certainly have a case if they chose to.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •