Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Are back to thinking every use of violence is authortian?
    It’s more of being the ones with authority, not recognizing their privilege.

I’m on a roll of telling people to check their privilege... so much easier than calling them spoiled brats, like I used to.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.

Regarding the Breonna Taylor murder:
    *Detective Joshua Jaynes filed for a bogus warrant after an investigation by the Public Integrity Unit.
    *It was assumed that Taylor was receiving packages for her ex-boyfriend Jamarcus Glover, an alleged drug-dealer.
    *Jaynes requested information from the Post Office and used a go-between at the Shively PD. Both the PO and the SPD said there was nothing suspicious. She was receiving packages for herself.
    *Jaynes omits this information from his warrant request and therefore lied to the judge processing the warrant. This got Taylor killed, endangered her neighbours and risked the life of his fellow police officers by sending them into a dangerous situation.
    *There's some suggestion that DA Danial Cameron knew about this and did not present it to the grand jury for indictment.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/breonn...458a23340.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    *Detective Joshua Jaynes filed for a bogus warrant after an investigation by the Public Integrity Unit.
    *It was assumed that Taylor was receiving packages for her ex-boyfriend Jamarcus Glover, an alleged drug-dealer.
    *Jaynes requested information from the Post Office and used a go-between at the Shively PD. Both the PO and the SPD said there was nothing suspicious. She was receiving packages for herself.
    *Jaynes omits this information from his warrant request and therefore lied to the judge processing the warrant. This got Taylor killed, endangered her neighbours and risked the life of his fellow police officers by sending them into a dangerous situation.
    *There's some suggestion that DA Danial Cameron knew about this and did not present it to the grand jury for indictment.

See, this is what I was talking about. If the warrant was bogus (and it was), then the officer who sought it (Jaynes) should be charged, and those charges should include some measure of responsibility for Taylor's death (accessory charges or the like). If any of the officers serving that warrant knew what Jaynes had done, that demonstrates criminal conspiracy and premeditated intent, and they should be collectively charged with Taylor's first-degree murder (I'll allow they may not have, and this may effectively be akin to Jaynes "SWATing" someone). If Cameron knew about this and didn't present it to the grand jury, he should be charged as an accessory after the fact; a DA's responsibility should be to offer the grand jury all possible charges, and let the grand jury decide which are relevant.

At least the information here seems to clear the PO and the warrant-issuing judge, since they were respectively ignored and lied to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

We've had indications of this so far, but it's much more concrete now.

The cops actions directly led to Breonna Taylor's murder. Had they followed their own rules, not lied to judges (isn't that like, a crime even not under oath?), and not behaved recklessly and irresponsibly, she'd be alive.

The lot of them are incompetent liars who got an innocent woman killed because of their lies and incompetence. Bare minimum, fire the lot of them and they can never wear a badge.

Oh yeah, and impeach the DA and make sure he never works in a public legal position ever again.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/u....co/vfHoFzXxW2

National and state officials are calling for an investigation after a Black jogger recorded himself being stopped and questioned by immigration agents this week in his Boston neighborhood.

The jogger, Bena Apreala, 29, was not arrested during the stop on Tuesday, but after his video was shared widely, lawmakers and officials condemned the encounter and called the footage disturbing.

Mr. Apreala, a Massachusetts real estate agent, told the Boston radio station WBUR that the men did not identify themselves as law enforcement and questioned him about his identity when they approached him.

“These guys just hopped out in full camouflage uniforms with masks over their face and stopped me,” Mr. Apreala said, according to the station, adding that the agents told him to identify himself. “I was confused as to whether or not they were even legitimate authority.”

He recorded the end of the episode in a short video — less than a minute long — that was later uploaded to Facebook. The beginning of the video shows at least three U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents letting Mr. Apreala go before asking him whether he had any tattoos on his arms — “just so we can confirm, and we’ll be out of here.”

In the video, Mr. Apreala asks the men: “Am I free to go? Do I have to show you? If I’m free to go, then I’m not showing you anything.” He then declined to show them his arms and walked away.

“Man, did you see the feds tried to stop me?” he says in the video. “ICE tried to stop me in my own neighborhood, bro.”

The episode took place in West Roxbury, a neighborhood of tree-lined streets and mostly single-family homes in the southwest corner of Boston.
    Disband ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Disband ICE.
    Why though? For demanding to show tattoos? This actually works, making tattoos punishable was one of the measures that helped to decimate the notorious Yakuza to a pale shadow of its former self

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Why though? For demanding to show tattoos? This actually works, making tattoos punishable was one of the measures that helped to decimate the notorious Yakuza to a pale shadow of its former self
    If that's what you took away from the exchange, reread and study a bit.

Then you can come back to the adults table.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

Try reading the article. Christ even that short blurb contains some pretty damming actions. To stop someone they have to have probable cause and in most cases identify themselves. You saying you don't take issue with cops stopping random people and forcing them to expose skin essentially on a whim? Also let me further blow your mind: ICE is extremely new. Not even 20 years old and was only created in a post 9/11 reaction. Zero evidence it has effectively increased our safety or efficiency over the previous agencies that handled their duties. What's next you going to excuse Joe Apiro for imprisoning's citizens illegally for long periods of time in his zeal to hunt down illegals?

Your leap to the Yakuza is the wildest and most idiotic of leaps ever undertaken. Seriously I think you should PM me your contact info so I can provide it to the courts to appoint a conservator over your affairs. You clearly do not have an IQ high enough to be trusted with financial independance.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Why though?
    You can always pop open the full article in private browsing if you don't have a NYT subscription and learn more yourself.

The Yakuza tattoo's were re-legalized after WWII. The Yakuza were at their height during the 1960s. Therefore the legality of tattoo's have nothing to do with their decline. The Japanese government simply made an effort to attenuate certain activities to inhibit their growth. Furthermore, young people since the 60s simply have less interest in joining them.

The Yakuza are still very prominent in Japanese society in both legal and illegal activities. Sometimes they even help people after earthquakes!

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Maybe you should go petition the Russian government to get them to legislate against tattoos. Or would that hurt Putin's buddies too much?

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Your leap to the Yakuza is the wildest and most idiotic of leaps ever undertaken.
    When you need to defend shit like this, because you agree with it, no leap is too great.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    When you need to defend shit like this, because you agree with it, no leap is too great.
    The funniest part is making the tattoos punishable should have the opposite effect that he claims, even better someone else linked evidence proving him wrong yet again. Vastly easier to hold Yakuza accountable when they slap massive tattoos on themselves effectively identifying themselves as Yakuza, especially since they do not take kindly at all to people mimicking them.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2020-10-09 at 08:43 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce

You “conservatives” really hate bodily autonomy and individual rights don’t you? Also in America we have the 4th amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    The funniest part is making the tattoos punishable should have the opposite effect that he claims, even better someone else linked evidence proving him wrong yet again. Vastly easier to hold Yakuza accountable when they slap massive tattoos on themselves effectively identifying themselves as Yakuza, especially since they do not take kindly at all to people mimicking them.
    So holding yakuza accountable is not punishing for them in your world, interesting. Also not being able to have any decent employment while having your skin tainted with tattoos must not be a punishment too in that twisted imaginary realm

Also not being able to have any decent employment while having your skin tainted with tattoos must not be a punishment too in that twisted imaginary realm
    Given that tattoos don't "taint" anything to anyone who's not a religious extremist, your entire line of argument here is just puritanical absurdity.

Not to mention it flagrantly ignores the cultural context of the Yakuza tattoos. Which directly contradict the argument you're trying to make, if you actually understood a damned thing about how they came about. Criminals being tattooed was not an idea the criminals came up with, there's a big honking hint for you.

So holding yakuza accountable is not punishing for them in your world, interesting. Also not being able to have any decent employment while having your skin tainted with tattoos must not be a punishment too in that twisted imaginary realm
    Damn, you really hate bodily autonomy.

Also the stigma against tattoos in the workplace has gone away.

Why though? For demanding to show tattoos?
    No warrant, no search. This isn't Russia.

Disband ICE if they're going to act like the secret police.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

Pit Lord
    Yes how dare someone express themselves in an entirely non-harmful way because it offends someone with delicate boomer-era sensibilities. Next thing you know Dungeons and Dragons will induct children into worshipping Satan and women with dyed hair will destroy the nuclear family!!

Though to back track on the self-defense topic a bit because I had some two cents I wanted to throw out: I know Scrod's got a hardon for being semantic but is it still quantifiable as self-defense if you shoot at the guy threatening you, miss, and kill a bystander? Wouldn't you still be legally culpable for that or is all crime just absolved as long as you can scream 'They're coming right for us!!' loud enough?

Not what I said at all. I said that a law banning those kind of tattoos is stupid if your goal, which you said was the goal, is to hold Yakuza accountable. And someone posted evidence that directly disproved your claim that the decline of the Yakuza was because of that law. So good job being wrong on all fronts.

Because telling people not to put a giant glowing sign on them that permanently indicates they're part of an illegal gang only makes it harder to identify them. Please try and read it again of don't bother replying to me until you can read at a kindergarten level. I don't know what idiot realm you live in but it's apparently one where people aren't taught to read at even a basic level.

Also my girlfriend is a lawyer and quite a few of them have tattoos as well as a few of the assistants at her firm. Her starting pay for her first job as an attorney is probably more than you'll ever hope to make and she's definitely going to get a few tattoos. They just cover them when they go to court. My best friend was a very well paid metalworker and has plenty of visible tattoos. Basically made almost 6 figures. So much for your dumb stupidly biased world.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2020-10-09 at 10:35 PM.
    Ambrose Bierce

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...an/5924617002/

The Wolverine Watchmen militia group didn't just plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, but they were on a mission to attack the state Capitol and target police officers at their homes as part of a broader mission to instigate a civil war, authorities said Thursday in announcing felony charges against 13 militia members accused in a sensational case of domestic terrorism.
    Reminder that extremist right wingers remain a very real threat to law enforcement.

Reminder that the federal security guard and the local law enforcement officers assassinated during the Floyd protests were murdered by a far-right boogaloo boi with his boogaloo buddie driving - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ornia-n1231187

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reminder that extremist right wingers remain a very real threat to law enforcement.
    And their law enforcement supporters are even more of a threat to towards people in general.

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/michig...ild-interview/

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters