1. #17921
    I am Murloc! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    5,801
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Reality is sexist. Female cops do a worse job than male cops. New examples daily.
    This is just a variant on the law of the instrument: "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

    Except in this situation, it's more like "When you view every problem as a nail, then the only tool you think you need is a hammer."

    What you're demonstrating here is cognitive bias, and it's just plain wrong.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  2. #17922
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Time to increase that time. 6 months clearly isn't cutting it.

    That said, it's probably also a good idea to review the training they actually go through. If the training itself is garbage, no length of time spent training will matter.
    @cubby
    https://www.insider.com/some-police-...lumbing-2020-6

    It is worse than that. Some police academies only require as little as 672 hours of training to become a cop. Which is 28 days. Becoming a fucking barber takes 1300 hours to get certified to even cut fucking hair. It takes 5 years of "apprenticeship" and going to trade school to get a license to be a fucking plumber.

    2 States, Alaska and Minnesota and DC, require 1000 hours to become a cop, but then you have Tennessee, South Carolina and Nevada, it only takes 480 hours to become a cop.

  3. #17923
    High Overlord Zinstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    lol

    -snip- don't post graphic videos directly in the thread.
    Ok... looking at the title of the video... I'm guessing this is a female cop who tries to take someone into custody and she is overpowered/makes a mistake and accidentally shoots an innocent bystander as a result.... and your blaming her gender for how this played out.

    ................Ok maybe I'm just a big idiot... Can someone enlighten me on how 1 case of a female cop failing to arrest someone properly means all women cops are terrible and should never be cops? Do Men cops never fail and there are never any videos similar to this one where it is a man?

    Edit: Just finished the video... yep I was right this showcased a Female cop Failing to take down a male suspect, Shooting suspect mother by mistake in the struggle and the situation only managed to regain control once another (male) cop showed up (and from the look of it the 2nd cop seems more experienced). My questions still stand and I would love the answers to them...
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-04-12 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Finshed watching

  4. #17924
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So, it's purely just a judgement call on behalf of the officer in question? Literally just "oh, air freshener. You know what that means!"?

    Seems like a very clear issue in how that officer operates. Learned behaviour? Or just biases?
    Well, yes. There's something called "good faith" (in the legal lexicon) which all cops (being instruments of the law and the justice system) are assumed to have. If you, in good faith, believe something may be related to the commission of a crime, everything from that good faith belief is justifiable. Even if you're absolutely and utterly wrong, and end up shooting a completely innocent person, as long as you believed in what you were doing.

    Of course, it's near impossible to prove the bad faith mentality of cops, and bias has never been considered bad faith. And good faith practices are constantly expanded on by criminal court judges, who all tend to be former prosecutors, IE people who worked hand in hand with the cops in their legal careers.

  5. #17925
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,448
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I've never, ever been in a car that didn't have an air freshener in it. Never have drugs been the reason for it being there.

    Is this a US-specific thing? They're like the most common thing to have in a car over here lol Who doesn't want their vehicle to smell nice?
    Notice he mentioned the over policing of black people. There's no reason to call a air freshener suspicious unless you are suspicious until you are a cop fishing for excuses to pin something on someone. Just to issue a citation because it's profitable.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  6. #17926
    As has been repeatedly quoted in the Chauvin trial, third-degree murder in Minnesota is:
    "Whoever, without intent…causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life…"
    Seems appropriate for this one as well.

  7. #17927
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,922
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    lol

    /snip [stupid fucking video that misses the ENTIRE point of the conversation]
    You don't have to keep posting to confirm that you'll never understand. You've already established you don't know what you're talking about. We got it.

    Being male or female has nothing to do with the quality of job performance.

  8. #17928
    Banned docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    Ok... looking at the title of the video... I'm guessing this is a female cop who tries to take someone into custody and she is overpowered/makes a mistake and accidentally shoots an innocent bystander as a result.... and your blaming her gender for how this played out.

    ................Ok maybe I'm just a big idiot... Can someone enlighten me on how 1 case of a female cop failing to arrest someone properly means all women cops are terrible and should never be cops? Do Men cops never fail and there are never any videos similar to this one where it is a man?
    Avg man is bigger than the avg woman. That matters a lot when it comes to takedowns. You don't want to risk lives for the sake of equality. The fact that professional fighters are still separated into weight classes should set you on the path to enlightenment.

  9. #17929
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    @cubby
    https://www.insider.com/some-police-...lumbing-2020-6

    It is worse than that. Some police academies only require as little as 672 hours of training to become a cop. Which is 28 days. Becoming a fucking barber takes 1300 hours to get certified to even cut fucking hair. It takes 5 years of "apprenticeship" and going to trade school to get a license to be a fucking plumber.

    2 States, Alaska and Minnesota and DC, require 1000 hours to become a cop, but then you have Tennessee, South Carolina and Nevada, it only takes 480 hours to become a cop.
    It's taking me longer to get fully vaccinated with a 2nd shot for COVID than it is taking some folks to become members of the police force.... Wtf.

  10. #17930
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Avg man is bigger than the avg woman. That matters a lot when it comes to takedowns. You don't want to risk lives for the sake of equality. The fact that professional fighters are still separated into weight classes should set you on the path to enlightenment.
    Man, this is just bringing out all the greatest hits of, "I'm not a sexist...BUT..."

  11. #17931
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,922
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    @cubby
    https://www.insider.com/some-police-...lumbing-2020-6

    It is worse than that. Some police academies only require as little as 672 hours of training to become a cop. Which is 28 days. Becoming a fucking barber takes 1300 hours to get certified to even cut fucking hair. It takes 5 years of "apprenticeship" and going to trade school to get a license to be a fucking plumber.

    2 States, Alaska and Minnesota and DC, require 1000 hours to become a cop, but then you have Tennessee, South Carolina and Nevada, it only takes 480 hours to become a cop.
    That's just fucking unbelievable. 60 working days to have the legally protected right to murder someone.

    (I really with Defund Police had had a better name - not that that's the reason the movement is wanning)

  12. #17932
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As has been repeatedly quoted in the Chauvin trial, third-degree murder in Minnesota is:

    Seems appropriate for this one as well.
    Wrong. He INTENTIONALLY knelt on his neck, without checking for a pulse, for 3 fucking minutes after he died.

  13. #17933
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, yes. There's something called "good faith" (in the legal lexicon) which all cops (being instruments of the law and the justice system) are assumed to have. If you, in good faith, believe something may be related to the commission of a crime, everything from that good faith belief is justifiable. Even if you're absolutely and utterly wrong, and end up shooting a completely innocent person, as long as you believed in what you were doing.

    Of course, it's near impossible to prove the bad faith mentality of cops, and bias has never been considered bad faith. And good faith practices are constantly expanded on by criminal court judges, who all tend to be former prosecutors, IE people who worked hand in hand with the cops in their legal careers.
    I cannot imagine having to be a lawyer in cases like this, being on the other side of the defence when they clearly have things a lot easier.

  14. #17934
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That's just fucking unbelievable. 60 working days to have the legally protected right to murder someone.

    (I really with Defund Police had had a better name - not that that's the reason the movement is wanning)
    Yep, I think they should have to go through everything for at least a year of training and require deep background checks, so that they don't get some of the white supremacist problem they have like the military seems to have lately.

  15. #17935
    Banned docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, this is just bringing out all the greatest hits of, "I'm not a sexist...BUT..."
    idgaf about your labels. I'm speaking truth to power. Men and women are physically different.

  16. #17936
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Wrong. He INTENTIONALLY knelt on his neck, without checking for a pulse, for 3 fucking minutes after he died.
    I don't think you're reading me correctly. Whatever.

  17. #17937
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,922
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Yep, I think they should have to go through everything for at least a year of training and require deep background checks, so that they don't get some of the white supremacist problem they have like the military seems to have lately.
    Agreed re the training. Include social service training, mental health, enhanced de-escalation practices.

    I would go so far as to have police officers NOT carry firearms on their person. Leave them in the vehicle, secured.

  18. #17938
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,448
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Avg man is bigger than the avg woman. That matters a lot when it comes to takedowns. You don't want to risk lives for the sake of equality. The fact that professional fighters are still separated into weight classes should set you on the path to enlightenment.
    Your argument is literally "the average woman is too small for the job so must use deadly for every time, all the time".

    WTF? Mind you I've seen small nurses drop people twice their size like nothing.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  19. #17939
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    idgaf about your labels. I'm speaking truth to power. Men and women are physically different.
    They are physically different. However size may matter for a lot, but it's far from all that matters, technique plays a big role as well.

  20. #17940
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think you're reading me correctly. Whatever.
    No, I am reading you just fine, you are trying to get him a lesser charge, when it is clearly murder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •