1. #18101
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Dylan Roof, Kyle Rittenhouse, and several other mass shooters recently that have been able to walk away from a mass shooting event, and even taken to fucking fast food before they were arraigned. That literally happened with Dylan Roof, after he killed 8 black people in a Church.
    >Kyle Rittenhouse
    >mass shooter
    He sure was a shitty mass shooter, what with killing two and only wounding one. Oh wait, that doesn’t even qualify as a mass shooting since it requires four people to be shot and injured/killed.

    And it’s funny that all the black people who end up getting shot all resist arrest and/or have warrants. If only there was a pattern of conduct with the people being shot. And before you say it, no I’m not talking about the one where the idiot pulled her gun instead of her taser.

  2. #18102
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy Chicken View Post
    >Kyle Rittenhouse
    >mass shooter
    He sure was a shitty mass shooter, what with killing two and only wounding one. Oh wait, that doesn’t even qualify as a mass shooting since it requires four people to be shot and injured/killed.

    And it’s funny that all the black people who end up getting shot all resist arrest and/or have warrants. If only there was a pattern of conduct with the people being shot. And before you say it, no I’m not talking about the one where the idiot pulled her gun instead of her taser.
    Oh, the brand new racist account, is going to try to shit talk me? Good try.

  3. #18103
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy Chicken View Post
    >Kyle Rittenhouse
    >mass shooter
    He sure was a shitty mass shooter, what with killing two and only wounding one. Oh wait, that doesn’t even qualify as a mass shooting since it requires four people to be shot and injured/killed.

    And it’s funny that all the black people who end up getting shot all resist arrest and/or have warrants. If only there was a pattern of conduct with the people being shot. And before you say it, no I’m not talking about the one where the idiot pulled her gun instead of her taser.
    And since when is resisting arrest or having a warrant out justifiable cause for the use of deadly force?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  4. #18104
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    2,486
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Saw the same thing on my reddit, love when Republican Trump supporters are the least aware people ever.
    The secret is to not actually believe in anything beyond being opposed to your political enemies.

  5. #18105
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    The secret is to not actually believe in anything beyond being opposed to your political enemies.
    Especially these guys. They do anything for a buck. Just like Candace Owens. She sued in 2007 I think, because of some racism she experienced in school, with the help of the NAACP. Got like $37,500 for it. Went on to hate Trump up til like 2017 or 18, then realized she can get a lot of money from gullible Republicans, even spent her time to take a chance at literally defending Hitler. Was sad.

  6. #18106
    The Insane Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Undermine
    Posts
    19,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.npr.org/sections/trial-o...-with-policies

    Seems the best the defense can do is an ex-cop saying everything Chauvin did was fine including -



    Apparently, let's just reject all the evidence and extensive testimony and the fact that he was killed due to pressure on the back of his neck. I mean, it doesn't even hurt!

    A bit sad that Brodd didn't volunteer to have someone of Chauvin's size kneel on his neck with his full weight for around 9 minutes in the courtroom to prove that it doesn't hurt. Like that time Crowder did it after adjusting his position so he was more comfortable and his buddy used maybe 5% of his body weight in pressure.
    As a practitioner of MMA, I can attest to the fact that getting pinned with a knee to the neck is extremely painful, and potentially lethal. And I experienced that pin on a mat. I couldn’t imagine dealing with that pin on concrete during a hot day.

  7. #18107
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Especially these guys. They do anything for a buck. Just like Candace Owens. She sued in 2007 I think, because of some racism she experienced in school, with the help of the NAACP. Got like $37,500 for it. Went on to hate Trump up til like 2017 or 18, then realized she can get a lot of money from gullible Republicans, even spent her time to take a chance at literally defending Hitler. Was sad.
    I meant to start a thread on it yesterday, might do it today after work and it doesn’t fit here... but, GOP and in large part conservatives, are becoming less of a political party, but the more they take on the image of Trump... the more they are just becoming a brand.

    Trump is the first brand name we made president and no one notices. The joke was always president Nike or Pepsi... we got the Trump brand instead.

    Candice, much like the rest of the grift squad, are all about branding and marketing. Like her and conservative outrage over Kureg, is what lead directly to Nike ads that they once again freaked out over. If Nike didn’t see the sales spike for Kureg, during the conservative outrage over a coffee maker, they would never have hired Krapernic to be in their ad. Their outrage, of one side buying their shit to burn and another to support their marketing stance, helped Nike value rise by 6 billion. Yet, it also increased the clout of grifters like Owens, to the point we still see conservatives pointing at Nike as a win... despite the fact that it caused sales to explode. Because hurting a corporation was never the point, it was to define the brand of Owens. Their celebration of a win, is being misconstrued by followers as hurting Nike... instead of building Candice Owens.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  8. #18108
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/u...te-wright.html

    The officer that shot and killed Wright will be charged with second degree manslaughter.

    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

    Max 10 year sentence. IMO charges should always be enhanced for officers who are supposed to be trained not to make these kinds of mistakes in their job, but this seems to fit the situation.

  9. #18109
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/u...te-wright.html

    The officer that shot and killed Wright will be charged with second degree manslaughter.

    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

    Max 10 year sentence. IMO charges should always be enhanced for officers who are supposed to be trained not to make these kinds of mistakes in their job, but this seems to fit the situation.
    I'm fine with not enhancing the actual charge; that seems like it's potentially excessive, upgrading from manslaughter to murder "because cop" or something.

    That said, maximum sentences for convicted officers, that I can get behind. No special considerations when it comes to prison time, either.


  10. #18110
    Pandaren Monk Hansworst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Schiedam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/u...te-wright.html

    The officer that shot and killed Wright will be charged with second degree manslaughter.

    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

    Max 10 year sentence. IMO charges should always be enhanced for officers who are supposed to be trained not to make these kinds of mistakes in their job, but this seems to fit the situation.
    Don't agree. Everyone should be equal in law. Doesn't matter if your a cop, a store owner, a librarian, white, yellow, pink or whatever.

    This cop deserves a sentence but not longer then anyone else just because she's a cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  11. #18111
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,882
    I don't follow Chauvin's "defense" team's new argument:

    Carbon Monoxide from the running cop car that Floyd was forcefully held next to caused his death.

    Uh. Ok. H-how is that any better? "No no your Honor, we didn't crush his neck until he stopped breathing, we held him close to a source of CO until he died haha"

  12. #18112
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I don't follow Chauvin's "defense" team's new argument:

    Carbon Monoxide from the running cop car that Floyd was forcefully held next to caused his death.

    Uh. Ok. H-how is that any better? "No no your Honor, we didn't crush his neck until he stopped breathing, we held him close to a source of CO until he died haha"
    "Your honor, I didn't kill him. I just taped a bag over his head and he died due to a lack of oxygen. I had no part in his natural death."

    Are we sure that Lin Wood isn't repping this fuck?

  13. #18113
    Elemental Lord Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I don't follow Chauvin's "defense" team's new argument:

    Carbon Monoxide from the running cop car that Floyd was forcefully held next to caused his death.

    Uh. Ok. H-how is that any better? "No no your Honor, we didn't crush his neck until he stopped breathing, we held him close to a source of CO until he died haha"
    I guess it might be easier to argue that it was an honest accident, if that were true? Thus get a lighter sentence. Or get free entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  14. #18114
    I am Murloc! Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I don't follow Chauvin's "defense" team's new argument:

    Carbon Monoxide from the running cop car that Floyd was forcefully held next to caused his death.

    Uh. Ok. H-how is that any better? "No no your Honor, we didn't crush his neck until he stopped breathing, we held him close to a source of CO until he died haha"
    I thought it sounded stupid, and a quick google search indicates that CO poisoning is pretty obvious- when CO binds with hemoglobin (which is why it kills you), the co-hemoglobin molecule is a pretty distinctive cherry pink, and his blood and muscles should have been riddled with it.

    Odd that no autopsies mentioned this...

  15. #18115
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I don't follow Chauvin's "defense" team's new argument:

    Carbon Monoxide from the running cop car that Floyd was forcefully held next to caused his death.

    Uh. Ok. H-how is that any better? "No no your Honor, we didn't crush his neck until he stopped breathing, we held him close to a source of CO until he died haha"
    Seriously, positing new theories of death that were not substantiated through autopsy should be grounds for legal sanctions of the lawyer bringing that defense.

    By all means, if they're getting the coroners to testify to that, fine. If they want to exhume and do another autopsy, sure. But just making shit up? Fuck off and stop practicing law.


  16. #18116
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Seriously, positing new theories of death that were not substantiated through autopsy should be grounds for legal sanctions of the lawyer bringing that defense.

    By all means, if they're getting the coroners to testify to that, fine. If they want to exhume and do another autopsy, sure. But just making shit up? Fuck off and stop practicing law.
    Even then, Chauvin would still be responsible since he held him down next to a running car.

    It's such an asinine defense.

  17. #18117
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm fine with not enhancing the actual charge; that seems like it's potentially excessive, upgrading from manslaughter to murder "because cop" or something.

    That said, maximum sentences for convicted officers, that I can get behind. No special considerations when it comes to prison time, either.
    I have thought that cops should get worse sentences for the same crimes as regular people, because they are literally doing the opposite of what their job is supposed to be, but I doubt that would be legal.

  18. #18118
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,848
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I have thought that cops should get worse sentences for the same crimes as regular people, because they are literally doing the opposite of what their job is supposed to be, but I doubt that would be legal.
    Sentencing considers the context of the crime, and given that a police officer has training with regards to these things and special powers they are abusing to commit these crimes, it means a crime committed by an officer is more egregious than the same crime committed by a random citizen. It's a worse context, by virtue of the defendant being a police officer.

    That's plenty to warrant an increased sentence all by itself.

    I wasn't even suggesting treating it like a hate crime, where there's an additional charge that adds to the sentence. Just that officers automatically get the maximum standard sentence for the crime.


  19. #18119
    Higher duty leading to higher sentences can get tricky and snowball fast. I'm not a fan of that idea.

  20. #18120
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Carbon Monoxide from the running cop car that Floyd was forcefully held next to caused his death.
    First of all, isn't holding someone's face in lethal fumes still murder?

    Second of all, he also blamed a bone spur. Sorry, "bone cyst" which suddenly killed him while his neck was being crushed directly in the path of car exhaust, apparently.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Higher duty leading to higher sentences can get tricky and snowball fast.
    I mean, it kind of exists, in that we have special crimes that only apply to certain official duty people. I mean, when's the last time someone got arrested for bribing a waiter?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •