1. #18121
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    it's wild that she would hold the gun up, point it at the kid, and fire without realizing it wasn't the taser.
    And the thing is when you watch the footage, it's a solid 5 seconds+ of what is CLEARLY a gun in her hand. I get it, things are moving fast and adrenaline is pumping but this was an avoidable mistake if she'd looked forward and noticed the distinct lack of BRIGHT YELLOW (or other bright color, tasers are usually VERY obvious) in her hand.

    I feel like they need to do blindfolded tests with these bloody cops. "Are you holding a gun, or a taser?" if you fail, you lose your service weapon and are stuck on desk duty pending re-training and the ability to pass the test. Maybe the grip feels the same so like, add a different grip that feels distinctly different? I dunno, this shouldn't be something cops routinely confuse.

  2. #18122
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,280
    The two incidents circulating illustrate any situation when dealing with the police is stressful for black people. When any given officer approaches you thinking the worst while others already walk around with ill intentions you for your all. Every move could be the 'wrong one' for no particular logical reason. Every world even if you do exactly as youre told. An entire institution that will throw your life away even in a clear case of murder because cops aren't supposed to cross the 'blue line'. "Well he should have moved faster", 'he should have kept his hands on the wheel" "he shouldn't look so intimidating" "I was scared" "he looked suspicious" "I didn't mean to actually shoot" "the bullets didn't actually kill him, it was xyz".

    You know the system doesn't value your life so many can only see the life or death situation. Doesn't might if you're guilty or innocent of something, all that's ticking in your mind is your fight or flight response. "If this officer beats or kills me at least I tried to get away". Or "I'm not moving no matter what they say because it's their words vs my actions and my actions lose."

    The 'good' cops aren't trained deal with bad officers, they are told to fall in line, or they just as fearful to speak up.

    Defund the police was too harsh. They said the protests were too disruptive, even the defense authorities in the Floyd case valid theres a problem, that a unfavorable verdict will lead to a reaction. And yet we are right to where we were a year a ago. Almost to the day.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  3. #18123
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And the thing is when you watch the footage, it's a solid 5 seconds+ of what is CLEARLY a gun in her hand. I get it, things are moving fast and adrenaline is pumping but this was an avoidable mistake if she'd looked forward and noticed the distinct lack of BRIGHT YELLOW (or other bright color, tasers are usually VERY obvious) in her hand.

    I feel like they need to do blindfolded tests with these bloody cops. "Are you holding a gun, or a taser?" if you fail, you lose your service weapon and are stuck on desk duty pending re-training and the ability to pass the test. Maybe the grip feels the same so like, add a different grip that feels distinctly different? I dunno, this shouldn't be something cops routinely confuse.
    There's a very clear difference between holding a taser and a firearm. We're talking extreme levels of incompetence in a field where incompetence is a death sentence. I don't think anyone would look at the video and argue that she meant to kill the kid, but this is a clear example of how the rush to pull weapons on people, even if they're trying to flee, should be frowned upon.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #18124
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    There's a very clear difference between holding a taser and a firearm. We're talking extreme levels of incompetence in a field where incompetence is a death sentence. I don't think anyone would look at the video and argue that she meant to kill the kid, but this is a clear example of how the rush to pull weapons on people, even if they're trying to flee, should be frowned upon.
    Yep. And if the vehicle was running and in gear as she tazed him, there's no telling what could have happened. Would his foot have convulsed and hit the gas hard, endangering him and his passenger (and the officers around the car)? Like, that just seems like a really bad idea and not worth it over a couple of misdemeanor warrants.

    No argument that it seems unintentional/accidental, but that's not really a legal defense in this or pretty much any other case.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Defund the police was too harsh. They said the protests were too disruptive, even the defense authorities in the Floyd case valid theres a problem, that a unfavorable verdict will lead to a reaction. And yet we are right to where we were a year a ago. Almost to the day.
    The Virginia incident galls me even more, even if it didn't end with a loss of life (thankfully). Because that wasn't just accidental incompetence, that was an officer in full control of a situation specifically escalating it to the point where he issued a threat against the drivers safety while pointing a gun at him, literal textbook assault, beyond the officers failure to notice the temporary plate in the window at a well lit gas station.

    The result of what happened with Wright is far worse, but the context around the two makes the Virginia case with Nazario is so beyond repugnant. His partner needs to go too.

  5. #18125
    The Lightbringer docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,777
    Female cop & a resistant male. Classic situation that never goes well.

    As a great comedian once said, "If you ever catch the eye of a female cop... hope you wore your bulletproof vest."
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Joe who?

  6. #18126
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Female cop & a resistant male. Classic situation that never goes well.

    As a great comedian once said, "If you ever catch the eye of a female cop... hope you wore your bulletproof vest."
    Sweet, just add some super casual sexism in here.

    Nice.

    Not really, but like...


  7. #18127
    The Lightbringer docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,777
    Reality is sexist. Female cops do a worse job than male cops. New examples daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Joe who?

  8. #18128
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Reality is sexist. Female cops do a worse job than male cops. New examples daily.
    Citation needed*

  9. #18129
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,739
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Reality is sexist. Female cops do a worse job than male cops. New examples daily.
    Go on?

    Got some information or source other than your brown eye for that?

  10. #18130
    The Lightbringer docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Go on?

    Got some information or source other than your brown eye for that?
    Geez, i'm talking to kindergarteners here. Men and women are physically different. Being a cop sometimes means you need to physically restrain a person. Naturally, men are better at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Joe who?

  11. #18131
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,759
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Reality is sexist. Female cops do a worse job than male cops. New examples daily.
    No, they don't. Ever. In any meaningful measurement or capacity. Your latent and regressive sexism doesn't shape anyone's reality but your own.

  12. #18132
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,739
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Naturally, men are better at this.
    Are they though?

    I'd love to see big macho you vs a trained female cop, see who comes out on top. I'm certain you're the peak of human male fitness, and women just simply have no chance against you.

  13. #18133
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    22,969
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Geez, i'm talking to kindergarteners here. Men and women are physically different. Being a cop sometimes means you need to physically restrain a person. Naturally, men are better at this.
    Studies from Germany show that female police officers usually perform better on entrance tests and are a deescalating factor. The notion that cops have to be big and strong and have to be men because women can't be trained well enough to do the same is bullshit and holds only true in certain very specific situations for example where a large guy is compared to a small woman. Cops usually aren't alone though so that's rather irrelevant.

    You want an example? Go watch some footage from the Oktoberfest police force and how they deal with large drunk germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  14. #18134
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Geez, i'm talking to kindergarteners here. Men and women are physically different. Being a cop sometimes means you need to physically restrain a person. Naturally, men are better at this.
    Still waiting on evidence from you to back up this naked sexism, dude. Your mother would be very disappointed to hear this.

  15. #18135
    His warrants were for an unregistered (not illegally bought) pistol, a pot civil fine which became a misdemeanor warrants when he failed to pay the ticket DURING A PANDEMIC, and a failure to appear on that warrant. Which is hilarious, because cops often don't notify you when a warrant is issued on you so you can take care of it.

    And then, the traffic stop was initiated because he had air fresheners in his rearview, a surefire (in cops' minds) that you're trying to mask the scent of pot. I once worked for the Suffolk County (outside of Boston) DA office one semester in law school, a cop searched a car because he saw a box of QTips in the back seat, and "everyone knows" qtips are used to filter heroin when you're drawing a needle. And the search was deemed valid. Nevermind that they didn't find heroin, but instead some other dumb crime.

    Another case of over-policing black folks leading directly to violent confrontations by police with black folks.

    And it goes without saying, a far cry from @Krakan and his assertion that he was a criminal fleeing from a stolen car yesterday.

  16. #18136
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    And then, the traffic stop was initiated because he had air fresheners in his rearview, a surefire (in cops' minds) that you're trying to mask the scent of pot.
    It blows my mind that patently legal behavior like this is "justification" for a police search.

    Like, dogs...maybe he's got some bad BO and doesn't want his passenger to suffer. Maybe there's mold and he's trying to mask the scent of it while the seats dry and shit.

    That something as simple as, "You have an air freshener in your car." is grounds to search for weed or drugs, even if the suspect has prior weed charges, boggles my fucking mind.

  17. #18137
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Female cop & a resistant male. Classic situation that never goes well.

    As a great comedian once said, "If you ever catch the eye of a female cop... hope you wore your bulletproof vest."
    If she deal with a suspect without the use of deadly force she is poorly trained, not fit for the job, or both What happens when she encounters someone on drugs, having a mental health crisis, or actually looking to harm LEOs?

    And that's before we discuss how a professional operating a deadly weapon shouldn't be confusing a taser with a gun. Her negligence literally cost someone their life. People who caused someone to lose their live through completely accidental negligence have gotten more time than this professional who deliberately escalated a situation. She is obligated to know better.


    People say 'black lives matter' because that man's life matters. Her mistake needs to be treated as if she took an actual life and all the seriousness that comes with it.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  18. #18138
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    And then, the traffic stop was initiated because he had air fresheners in his rearview, a surefire (in cops' minds) that you're trying to mask the scent of pot.
    I've never, ever been in a car that didn't have an air freshener in it. Never have drugs been the reason for it being there.

    Is this a US-specific thing? They're like the most common thing to have in a car over here lol Who doesn't want their vehicle to smell nice?

  19. #18139
    The Lightbringer docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Are they though?

    I'd love to see big macho you vs a trained female cop, see who comes out on top. I'm certain you're the peak of human male fitness, and women just simply have no chance against you.
    As soon as I slip her girly grip i'd get tackled by a nearby male cop who's there to back her up and handle situations for real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Joe who?

  20. #18140
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    His warrants were for an unregistered (not illegally bought) pistol, a pot civil fine which became a misdemeanor warrants when he failed to pay the ticket DURING A PANDEMIC, and a failure to appear on that warrant. Which is hilarious, because cops often don't notify you when a warrant is issued on you so you can take care of it.

    And then, the traffic stop was initiated because he had air fresheners in his rearview, a surefire (in cops' minds) that you're trying to mask the scent of pot. I once worked for the Suffolk County (outside of Boston) DA office one semester in law school, a cop searched a car because he saw a box of QTips in the back seat, and "everyone knows" qtips are used to filter heroin when you're drawing a needle. And the search was deemed valid. Nevermind that they didn't find heroin, but instead some other dumb crime.

    Another case of over-policing black folks leading directly to violent confrontations by police with black folks.

    And it goes without saying, a far cry from @Krakan and his assertion that he was a criminal fleeing from a stolen car yesterday.
    So this 'highly dangerous criminal roaming the street with warrants' amount to a bunch a small shit that would likely be thrown out or handled without any actual jail time?

    Shit that a white middle class kid could laugh about even if pulled over an a cop ran his ID.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •