Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A mistrial isn't a verdict, a verdict means there's consensus, there's no consensus in a mistrial.
    And this was a pretty quick verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah, but if much debate were being had they just got this, wouldn't it make sense they would exhaust the arguments and review the evidence just in case. All the cases I've ever witness similar have and do.

Here is a heads up though.

Based on that make up, and what I said, I am 40% convinced it will be a mistrial, however I am more convinced it will be Guilty. I would say there is a 0% change of Not Guilty.
    The Jury couldn't reach a "mistrial" though. Only the Judge could. And if that were happening the news would know it wouldn't be a verdict. I hear what you're saying, but because so little time has passed in deliberations, the jury has reached either guilty or not guilty. Anything else would have been communicated to the judge, and then the press.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And this was a pretty quick verdict.
    Exactly. Should be very interesting to hear it.

My money is on Manslaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The Jury couldn't reach a "mistrial" though. Only the Judge could. And if that were happening the news would know it wouldn't be a verdict. I hear what you're saying, but because so little time has passed in deliberations, the jury has reached either guilty or not guilty. Anything else would have been communicated to the judge, and then the press.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up i meant hung jury but I understand what you mean, Yeah it's going to be guilty. Hmm Manslaughter, can he be guilty on all counts?

I'd wager a Starbucks it's 3rd Degree. The reason I say that is there was something I read about him pleading to 3rd Degree and the AG Barr taking that off the table.

I think if he find guilty on 3rd degree that could be viewed as a way of pleasing everyone.

Personally I wand 2nd Degree.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2021-04-20 at 08:45 PM.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

They're three separate charges; the jury rules on each separately, they aren't picking between them.

I'm expecting guilty on two counts, won't be shocked if it's guilty on three (if anything, the prosecution aimed low here). I'll be a little surprised if it's only guilty on one, the weakest charge, the negligent manslaughter.

Because presenting what happened as just a "oops, I didn't realize what I was doing!" is pretty damned galling.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They're three separate charges; the jury rules on each separately, they aren't picking between them.

I'm expecting guilty on two counts, won't be shocked if it's guilty on three (if anything, the prosecution aimed low here). I'll be a little surprised if it's only guilty on one, the weakest charge, the negligent manslaughter.

Because presenting what happened as just a "oops, I didn't realize what I was doing!" is pretty damned galling.
    Yeah, it’s galling. It’s also not entirely inconsistent with the history of these kinds of cases.

Let's not pretend the American justice system wouldn't do exactly just that.

Yeah, it’s galling. It’s also not entirely inconsistent with the history of these kinds of cases.
    Yeah well before all of this shit I never even knew 3rd Degree murder was a thing.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

That's not correct. There are three separate charges, but the jury is picking between them. You can't be found guilty of, for instance, Second Degree Murder AND First Degree Murder for the killing of one person. Just one would apply.

The jury is deliberating between them, based on their requirements. I posted a few pages back what those were, for each charge.

Which is why Waters is right.

Unless the pattern changes, the police are the heavily-armed-and-precipitously-violent enemies of the people, and every citizen should treat them accordingly. They don't protect and serve; they murder and harass. And it isn't a case of "a few bad apples". The phrase goes "a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel". If you can't identify and remove those bad apples, the entire barrel, the entire police department, they're all bad, and complicit.

Endus is incorrect - the jury is picking between the three charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah well before all of this shit I never even knew 3rd Degree murder was a thing.
    Considering how complicated the legal system is it’s kinda crazy they take a group of laymen and ask them to judge the outcome.

That's not correct. There are three separate charges, but the jury is picking between them. You can't be found guilty of, for instance, Second Degree Murder AND First Degree Murder for the killing of one person. Just one would apply.
    That's only true in cases where the charges are mutually exclusive.

And everyone I've seen is reporting that he could be found guilty on one, two, or three of those charges here.

https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2021/...chauvin-trial/

CNN's been saying much the same in their live coverage (I flipped it on in the background while I'm waiting).

Edit: Another link, the WSJ; https://www.wsj.com/articles/derek-c...ct-11618852907
    "The jury can convict Mr. Chauvin of any combination of the charges."

Unless the pattern changes, the police are the heavily-armed-and-precipitously-violent enemies of the people, and every citizen should treat them accordingly. They don't protect and serve; they murder and harass. And it isn't a case of "a few bad apples". The phrase goes "a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel". If you can't identify and remove those bad apples, the entire barrel, the entire police department, they're all bad, and complicit.
    Waters was always right. I completely agree with your sentiment here. Our entire nation's police force has to be revamped.

Endus is incorrect - the jury is picking between the three charges.
    There’s that too. I was just saying if he got off with the lightest charge it wouldn’t be inconceivable.

I agree, a guy literally dragged a police officer with his truck and was apprehended not even a week after what happened in Brooklyn Center, there is no going back.

Cruz: Biden comments on Chauvin verdict "grounds for a mistrial" https://t.co/xVUw8Dure1 https://t.co/CWrioAyAzl
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...632153604?s=19

The GOP truly are pieces of feces. Knowing Chauvin is likely guilty (verdict anytime now) they by any means want to get this killer off.

It's signaling to the large racist base in the Republican Party.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

-Isaac Asimov

If this motherfucker is found not guility...
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Waters was always right. I completely agree with your sentiment here. Our entire nation's police force has to be revamped.
    I think when I finally woke up was almost 20 years ago when the Supreme Court determined that a Police Officer is under NO obligation to save my life or anyone else. Made me think then what the fuck is the point.

That's only true in cases where the charges are mutually exclusive.

And everyone I've seen is reporting that he could be found guilty on one, two, or three of those charges here.

https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2021/...chauvin-trial/

CNN's been saying much the same in their live coverage (I flipped it on in the background while I'm waiting).
    That article makes the issue confusing. The issue can get complicated when multiple charges for the same act are presented. At the end of the day, if there are multiple guilty verdicts on the charges, he will only be found guilty on the highest degree charge - if that makes sense.

So if it's guilty on Manslaughter 3, Murder 3, but not guilty on Murder 2, then the final conviction would be Murder 3. He wouldn't be guilty of both charges, because they are for the same crime.

Edit: typo - "would be Murder 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...632153604?s=19

The GOP truly are pieces of feces. Knowing Chauvin is likely guilty (verdict anytime now) they by any means want to get this killer off.

It's signaling to the large racist base in the Republican Party.
    lol millions of people commenting on the trial but Biden's comments are grounds for a mistrial....

if this was the case then every trial would have to be held in secret.

God the stupidity of Texas might soon outweigh florida....might....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!