Another "I can't breath" death: Police Reform & Protests in the USA

The FBI will investigate the death of a black man in the US state of Minnesota after a video emerged showing a policeman kneeling on his neck.

In the footage, the man, believed to be in his 40s, is heard groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the white officer.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52806572

One could say that even a middle schooler would know enough from biology lessons and basic logic that stepping on people's necks is dangerous.
    This case will not be helped by the fact that it was a black guy/white officer, the classic "dream" combo.
    P.S.
    I expect usual suspects to say that resisting arrest (allegedly so far) is reason enough to kill a cuffed man.
    Update: [4/20/21] Derek Chauvin found guilty of all three charges in the murder of George Floyd
    Coverage: Reuters ; Politico ; Fox ; CNN

Thread Warnings:
    1. This isn't a thread to argue about specific races, it is a known forbidden topic.Discussion is supposed to stay tied to events, but do not derail by arguing about which forms of racism are/aren't real.
    2. Wishing harm or death on others isn't appropriate for discussion regardless of recent events. Similarly, refrain from implying or suggesting parties involved in recent events deserved or earned harm done against them.
    3. Refrain from trying to use statistics to characterize different ethnic groups as being more or less inclined to violence, crime, or other malign qualities.
    4. Be mindful of your language. Racial Dogwhistling will not be tolerated.
    5. Refrain from sharing graphic imagery or videos.
    6. You can argue about a post's intent or implications, but the unprompted "You support murder/crime/violence" needs to cease.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-04-20 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

It's simple, when you put wait on someone's back, and they do not have their arms to prop themselves up, they can easily suffocate. Police officers know this, and it was hammered into them after Garner. Getting a suspect on his chest to cuff him is fine, but as soon as they are cuffed, they should be shifted to a different position.

As for any attempts to resist arrest, a person doesn't have much control over their body, when they are being suffocated.

Fuck these cops, they knew, and they didn't fucking care.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-05-26 at 06:04 PM.

Holy shit the cop that murdered him will definitely face a murder charge. Hopefully the partner will face accessory to murder as well.

This isn't even questionable. Here's the real video without bullshit journalism:

The poor victim goes limp for about 4 minutes before the murderer takes his knee off his neck.

The murderer isn't even giving orders to the victim. He's just suffocating him and watching him die. The accessory (the only person who can legally stop the murder) is just making sure no one intervenes on the murder.
    Last edited by Jonnusthegreat; 2020-05-26 at 06:19 PM.

Did he die right there in the video? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Holy shit the cop that murdered him will definitely face a murder charge. Hopefully the partner will face accessory to murder as well.
    You think he would. But knowing how these stories work... suspended with pay.. trail 3-4 years from now... silently made innocent.. loses current job but 2 counties over gets a job doing the same thing again.

And the jury will find him innocent, like they always do.

This isn't even questionable. Here's the real video without bullshit journalism:

The poor victim goes limp for about 4 minutes before the murderer takes his knee off his neck.
    I'll admit, I'm pretty desensitized to this shit because of how often it happens but hearing someone cry out over and over again that they can't breath while an officer of the law slowly suffocates them is just horrifying on so many levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit the cop that murdered him will definitely face a murder charge
    While the pun might be in poor taste, I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

The justice system has tendency of getting its fellow employees off scott-free.

I'd like to add that it is rather difficult to strangle someone even if it is your intent. Movies lie to you in that regard. The victim going limp is simply them losing consciousness, breathing can pick up as a reflex minutes after the victim losing consciousness.

That cop is a scumbag and should spend the rest of his life in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    While the pun might be in poor taste, I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

The justice system has tendency of getting its fellow employees off scott-free.
    With Eric Garner, while I disagree, it was questionable. This is a period of 10 minutes of suffocation with no resistance or orders being given.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    I'll admit, I'm pretty desensitized to this shit because of how often it happens but hearing someone cry out over and over again that they can't breath while an officer of the law slowly suffocates them is just horrifying on so many levels.
    More horrifying... when the news popped up on my feed, my first reaction was thinking the case from last year was back... I think his name was Gardner... nope... new one...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    The murderer isn't even giving orders to the victim. He's just suffocating him and watching him die. The accessory (the only person who can legally stop the murder) is just making sure no one intervenes on the murder.
    Any cop in the area who didn't stop this fuck should be charged as an accessory.

If they don't turn on him and testify against him, they should additionally be charged with obstruction; this wouldn't normally apply, but frankly, cops working to keep a criminal from justice seems like it fits the bill.

Their senior staff should be on the hook for creating an environment where this could be allowed to happen; this isn't just one cop going too far in the heat of the moment.

Burn the entire department to the ground, metaphorically speaking. Any cop who does anything to try and defend and permit another cop to do this, they're as corrupt and criminal as the fuck they're protecting. This "thin blue line" garbage needs to stop; police officers should face far stricter scrutiny, face much higher burdens of proof (since we can presume they should be trained to safely restrain suspects, and thus we can't presume this was an accident), and they should be facing maximum sentences for crimes. And no "we can't put them in Gen Pop" bullshit. They face prison the same as anyone. That you can't control violence in your own prisons is its own separate "what the fuck" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'd like to add that it is rather difficult to strangle someone even if it is your intent. Movies lie to you in that regard. The victim going limp is simply them losing consciousness, breathing can pick up as a reflex minutes after the victim losing consciousness.

That cop is a scumbag and should spend the rest of his life in jail.
    This isn't about strangulation, it's about suffocation. There's a huge difference, and one is much easier to do than the other.

Jesus christ this is messed up. I'm not one to call for the death penalty, but these two dimwits in blue sure as hell make a good case for capital punishment.

Got some good video evidence at least.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Only a matter of time before vigilantes start revenge killings on these Cops that consistently get away with these murders.

Watching that was beyond fucking infuriating.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-05-26 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This isn't about strangulation, it's about suffocation. There's a huge difference, and one is much easier to do than the other.
    Ahm, no. Sorry. This is wrong.

Suffocation, or Asphyxia, is a general term that is used to describe oxygen deprivation of the body and can have multiple reasons, both natural as well as unnatural. Reasons include drowning, chemical imbalances, an obstructed lung, any medical condition that inhibits or limits respiratory function such as seizures, and, last but not least, strangulation, which describes the forceful inhibition of the natural oxygen flow to the brain by an outside force, which is the case here. The victim suffocates as a result of strangulation.

It's infuriating listening to the people on the street try to save this guy's life by reasoning with those two fucking morons. Mr. Accessory won't even turn and look at the victim for a second, just stands there with a dumb look on his face. They both belong in prison, this is inexcusable, but we all know what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Ahm, no. Sorry. This is wrong.

Suffocation, or Asphyxia, is a general term that is used to describe oxygen deprivation of the body and can have multiple reasons, both natural as well as unnatural. Reasons include drowning, chemical imbalances, an obstructed lung, any medical condition that inhibits or limits respiratory function such as seizures, and, last but not least, strangulation, which describes the forceful inhibition of the natural oxygen flow to the brain by an outside force, which is the case here. The victim suffocates as a result of strangulation.
    Very well, then let's call it positional asphyxiation. In the end, it's not about trying to cut off air flow at the neck, causing them to suffocate is mush easier, simply by being on top of them. His position is far more likely to be the cause, and not where the guys knee was located.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The article doesn't say whether the suspect was ever breathing or if he ever regained consciousness after he was put on the stretcher. Which is weird.

Anyways I'm sure the idiot cop will be fired but I don't think there will be a "murder" conviction since that requires intentionality as opposed to negligence.
    I'm with you there, except since he's not giving any orders, I find it hard to ascertain any other intention.