The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz541 View Post
    No, they are not.

The jury will determine if Chauvin is guilty or not guilty of three separate charges and will decide each one individually.

It’s possible the jury could find Chauvin guilty of all charges, guilty of some and not guilty of others or could acquit him of all charges. If the jury acquits him of all charges, Chauvin could be charged in federal court.
    As noted here, and elsewhere.
    It's complicated. The article is right, and I'm right - because we're essentially saying the same thing. Let me repeat a previous post:

That article makes the issue confusing. The issue can get complicated when multiple charges for the same act are presented. At the end of the day, if there are multiple guilty verdicts on the charges, he will only be found guilty on the highest degree charge - if that makes sense.

So if it's guilty on Manslaughter 3, Murder 3, but not guilty on Murder 2, then the final conviction would be Murder 3. He wouldn't be guilty of both charges, because they are for the same crime.

Second degree murder seems hard to get. But third degree and manslaughter looks pretty much guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's complicated. The article is right, and I'm right - because we're essentially saying the same thing. Let me repeat a previous post:

That article makes the issue confusing. The issue can get complicated when multiple charges for the same act are presented. At the end of the day, if there are multiple guilty verdicts on the charges, he will only be found guilty on the highest degree charge - if that makes sense.

So if it's guilty on Manslaughter 3, Murder 3, but not guilty on Murder 2, then the final conviction would be Murder 3. He wouldn't be guilty of both charges, because they are for the same crime.
    My understanding of Minnesota law was that it is in the sentencing phase where what you mention applies, but the actual verdict and conviction on the charges would still stand.

If Chauvin is convicted of any of the charges against him, he’ll likely serve multiple years in prison. The Minnesota sentencing guidelines for each of his two murder charges are 12.5 years and for his manslaughter charge are four years. He’ll only serve time for his most serious charge if he’s found guilty of all charges, although the prosecution plans to ask the judge for a longer sentence than the recommended 12.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Second degree murder seems hard to get. But third degree and manslaughter looks pretty much guarantee.
    Yeah think so as well. Murder 3 is the most likely outcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Head Verdict wen?

My hope is still Second Degree Manslaughter. My expectations are... Low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I agree to me it's clear 2nd degree, so a verdict for manslaughter or 3rd degree does nothing. The fact the clear fucking consensus isn't clear that George Floyd was murdered regardless to loving or hating the guy. Police are not judge, jury and executioners and their breaking the law they are supposed with impunity needs to come to an end.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Head Verdict wen?
    From everything I'm reading, sometime in the next 15ish minutes, give or take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Head Verdict wen?
    It's been "any minute now" since 4:30 EST. The verdict's in, but it's a matter of getting the jurors and everyone else into the courtroom and get the proceedings moving.

The fact that deliberations didn’t take long has to be good for the prosecution...right? No way they thought it was a fairly open and shut case in Chauvin’s favor.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be riots and destruction regardless of the verdict.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The fact that deliberations didn’t take long has to be good for the prosecution...right? No way they thought it was a fairly open and shut case in Chauvin’s favor.
    No way to tell until they read it.

I'm hoping for murder two, but I wouldn't be surprised to see three/manslaughter instead.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Not at all necessarily true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here we gooooooooo. Courtroom feed's just come on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Nah. There won't be any. Unless he sees absolutely no jail time. Then I can see rioting happening. Otherwise, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I agree to me it's clear 2nd degree, so a verdict for manslaughter or 3rd degree does nothing. The fact the clear fucking consensus isn't clear that George Floyd was murdered regardless to loving or hating the guy. Police are not judge, jury and executioners and their breaking the law they are supposed with impunity needs to come to an end.
    Heres the thing with second degree, from what i read in that state, it needs you to not have premeditated, but have been in or about to commit a crime other then the murder itself. So from my understanding they would have had to make the jury think there was a crime other then the killing itself going on. Third degree is the same, but without you having been or about to do a felony beside the murder itself. Which is why i think second might not happen, but third has to be guarantee, i mean come on?

nvm they gave him second degree, good, it was really the shaky one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Nah. There won't be any. Unless he sees absolutely no jail time. Then I can see rioting happening. Otherwise, no.
    Also, you get riots and destruction when the local team loses a match of sportsball. When college kids have a rave that gets out of control. Stop acting like that's anything special.

Guilty on all charges.

Guilty on ALL charges.

Did not see that coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guilty on all counts. BAM.

Looks like guilty on all counts.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.