10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    That seems a bit much. I'd be more inclined to make an analogy to a drunk driver who kills someone.
    Which is still a piss poor analogy since drunk drivers actually do tend to face consequences for their actions, lol.

Also y'all ignoring the part where Officer Karen has two decades of experience? Like Cubby said: there's not an excuse. She murdered someone out of malicious incompetence because of racial bias in policing, it's really as simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even a few hours after Chauvin was pronounced guilty, police in Columbus, Ohio shot a 15 year old girl calling 911 because of domestic abuse.

As said, there won't be anything resembling justice until the system that permits this bullshit is rebuilt from the ground up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Not even a few hours after Chauvin was pronounced guilty, police in Columbus, Ohio shot a 15 year old girl calling 911 because of domestic abuse.

As said, there won't be anything resembling justice until the system that permits this bullshit is rebuilt from the ground up.
    Chauvin's conviction is a single data point.

It could be the start of a new trend. Or it may just be an outlier that doesn't matter in the long run.

Which it is remains to be seen.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/s...27566997295108

Apparently, according to Newsmax, the jury decided they needed to "sacrifice this guy to the mob".

In case anyone is wondering how the result is playing in conservative realities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I positioned 10 months ago that the best defense available would be to confess to the material facts of the case, but argue against the state of mind required for 2nd degree murder by the state law. They were greedy and wanted to have their cake and eat it too. The worlds tiniest violin for him and his horrible legal team.
    You called it. As it turns out, the defense they used was actually quite infuriating. I'd be willing to bet that the jury members all cringed just as much as I did - actually I got quite angry quite fast - as he was speaking. Except that they had to listen to every stupid inane thing that the defense lawyer spewed out, and I could just turn the TV off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The first three word are the most important, I agree. I think think that, especially with the body camera video, any prosecutor would be hard pressed to make a case that race was a motivating factor in the mistake itself. In being pulled over? Sure. In choosing to deploy what she thought was a taser? Sure. In confusing her service weapon for a taser? No, not at all.

But she should go to prison all the same. A mistake that leads to you killing someone is still murder/manslaughter.
    So you are arguing for 2nd degree murder rather than 1st degree murder. I guess the jury will decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    You called it. As it turns out, the defense they used was actually quite infuriating. I'd be willing to bet that the jury members all cringed just as much as I did - actually I got quite angry quite fast - as he was speaking. Except that they had to listen to every stupid inane thing that the defense lawyer spewed out, and I could just turn the TV off.
    I think if any weren't pretty darned convinced by the prosecution, the defense witness testifying that it might have been the carbon monoxide from the exhaust pipe Chauvin was kneeling on Floyd's neck next to may have been a factor. I think that was the defense's "jumping the shark" moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    So you are arguing for 2nd degree murder rather than just 1st degree murder. I guess the jury will decide.
    I don't know the state laws/charges, I'm not arguing for any specific charges.

But if you ask, hell not it's not 1st degree murder, which requires premeditation in every state that I know of. There's absolutely 0 evidence to support premeditation in this case,.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id be certainly interested in the jury's thoughts on all this, if any want to give them.

Finally, some semblance of accountability
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I think if any weren't pretty darned convinced by the prosecution, the defense witness testifying that it might have been the carbon monoxide from the exhaust pipe Chauvin was kneeling on Floyd's neck next to may have been a factor. I think that was the defense's "jumping the shark" moment.
    Ya, the entirety of their defense was trying desperately to convince a single reasonable person that forcing someone in such a position in no way contributed to their deaths. There's no way to argue such an absolute departure from reality, unless the prosecution somehow messed up badly in voir dire and let an extremist in. This all has a performative aspect to it, like they were playing to the conservative outlets rather than to the jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This all has a performative aspect to it, like they were playing to the conservative outlets rather than to the jury.
    Honestly, this seems to be a conservative legal tactic nowadays. See: Gaetz.

It's really weird that they genuinely think this alternate reality they live in inside their heads exists for the rest of us.

I was confident once I heard how fast the jury came back. If it's hung it takes forever, or even quibbling over guilty/not guilty on individual charges, it takes forever. That means it was unanimous on all three charges, and I had serious doubts it could ever have been not guilty on all three charges. Honestly, if it had been not guilty on all three charges, Minneapolis would have deserved the riots that would have broken out. That would be an utter failure of justice.

Before the jury went out though, I and every POC I know was wondering how they were gonna let this dude walk. Because every other case seems pretty clear cut too.

Now, the question is whether this will actually change anything, or if conservatives will make Chauvin the sacrificial lamb while simultaneously making him a martyr while simultaneously claiming he was a bad apple and this isn't representative of policing in general. Tim Pool unironically tweeted that police should start resigning "en masses [sic]", which would hilariously make reform much easier.

Biden's statement was good, and.....I gotta say, it stirred some emotion in me. Whew. Imagine having an actual, compassionate leader during a time like this. One thing that people are saying which I wholeheartedly agree with: this is merely accountability. Justice would be George Floyd still being alive. There's still lots of work to do.

If you have held both taser and a firearm then you'll understand why a claim of mistaking the two strains credibility to the breaking point.

They are not remotely similar in terms of weight or feel, and one has bright coloration specifically to distinguish it from a live firearm. If it's incompetence, it is certainly malicious incompetence to the point it may as well be murder.
    Also doesn't help that the cops have been running with this narrative of everything they see being a gun.
    Comb = gun
    Phone = gun
    Hand = gun
    Wallet = gun

Their gun = not a gun

10+ Year Old Account
    We can’t leave this moment or look away thinking our work is done.

We have to listen, ‘I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe.’ Those were George Floyd’s last words. We can’t let those words die with him.

We must not turn away, we can’t turn away. We have a chance to begin to change the trajectory in this country. It’s my hope and prayer that we live up to the legacy. This can be a moment of significant change.
    -- President Joe Biden

Not even a few hours after Chauvin was pronounced guilty, police in Columbus, Ohio shot a 15 year old girl calling 911 because of domestic abuse.[/url]

Looks like that might actually be a tragic but a sadly justified shooting. Half way down on the page you have the body cam footage from the shoot. The knife is clearly visible at 1:43 and the cop shot her right before she was going to stab someone else.
    Warning Graphic Content
    https://www.foxla.com/news/columbus-...old-black-girl

Police showed bodycam footage Tuesday night at a news conference of the officer shooting the girl, who was Black, as she appeared to attempt to stab two people with a knife.

A black-handled blade resembling a kitchen knife or steak knife appeared to be lying on the sidewalk next to her immediately after she was shot and fell.

State law allows police to use deadly force to protect themselves or others, and investigators will determine whether this shooting was such an instance, Interim Police Chief Michael Woods said at the news conference.

Officers had responded to an attempted stabbing call when police shot the girl at about 4:45 p.m., police said. The 911 caller reported a female was trying to stab them before hanging up, they said.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Looks like that might actually be a tragic but a sadly justified shooting. Half way down on the page you have the body cam footage from the shoot. The knife is clearly visible at 1:43 and the cop shot her right before she was going to stab someone else.
    Warning Graphic Content
    https://www.foxla.com/news/columbus-...old-black-girl
    Tough video to watch, but yeah...this isn't anything like Chauvin.

Sounds like she might've been the one initially trying to defend herself, but trying to stab someone in front of a cop is not a good situation to put yourself in.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/_WhatRiot/status...72602921209861

Blue Lives Matter is kinda cringe and tone deaf though.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2021-04-21 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Tough video to watch, but yeah...this isn't anything like Chauvin.

Sounds like she might've been the one initially trying to defend herself, but trying to stab someone in front of a cop is not a good situation to put yourself in.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/_WhatRiot/status...72602921209861

Blue Lives Matter is kinda cringe and tone deaf though.
    Not sure how I feel about this shooting... sure the optics are very bad considering the trial... but are we suggesting they should have let the girl stab others?

On the other hand those cops who responded "blue lives matter" need to face disaplenary action... stroking tensions even if you personally feel that the shooting is 100% justified is not how you do your job.

It's rare that I ever have to say this anymore, but that police shooting looks justified. That girl was about to stab the other girl in the upper body with knife with what appears to be an 8 inch blade. It doesn't take much to inflict a mortal wound to the throat or chest with a knife that size. I'm surprised the cop was able to catch all the action so quickly. I had to rewind and really look to see what was going on. Impressive situational awareness to notice it when someone else punted another girl in the head right in front of him. My focus would've been on that and I never would've noticed a knife was involved.

I'm aware that pink girl was one of the initial aggressors who went to the victims house in an attempt to beat the shit out of her. Even though her life was saved, she's not faultless. Maybe Ma’Khia reached a breaking point out of fear and was acting on instinct in an attempt to preserve her own life. I can't think of any other reason she'd try to knife someone RIGHT IN FRONT of a cop. Let alone someone carrying a little dog in one arm. It had to be instinctual and driven by adrenaline because otherwise it's just too stupid. Either way, I hope people don't try to turn her into some sort of martyr because I feel that will undo a lot of the progress that was JUST made.

Yes, this latest shooting looks as though it may be justified.

It still needs to be investigated thoroughly.

The days of just taking a cop at their word that lethal force was necessary are over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoswald View Post
    The very same people who advocate murder. On both sides.
    Yes, I'm glad we're neutering the power of conservatives who have been calling for the deaths of criminals. Throughout the last 20? 30? Cases where a cop used too much force to kill someone, the MAGAts have always come up with some excuse. "He died from overdose!" was the latest hilarious excuse. It will be a breath of fresh air now that there's a precedent to hold cops accountable for use of too much force.

I realize policing is already a stressful job, but that's why the FACT that the hiring vetting for cops is ABYSMAL. Police forces often get the worst of the worst because they let in white supremacist high school drop outs who can run an obstacle course. Plenty of police function perfectly fine without executing citizens on the street.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

As others have said, this one seems pretty obvious that shooting was justified, as she was more or less one second away from stabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    It's rare that I ever have to say this anymore, but that police shooting looks justified. That girl was about to stab the other girl in the upper body with knife with what appears to be an 8 inch blade. It doesn't take much to inflict a mortal wound to the throat or chest with a knife that size. I'm surprised the cop was able to catch all the action so quickly. I had to rewind and really look to see what was going on. Impressive situational awareness to notice it when someone else punted another girl in the head right in front of him. My focus would've been on that and I never would've noticed a knife was involved.

I'm aware that pink girl was one of the initial aggressors who went to the victims house in an attempt to beat the shit out of her. Even though her life was saved, she's not faultless. Maybe Ma’Khia reached a breaking point out of fear and was acting on instinct in an attempt to preserve her own life. I can't think of any other reason she'd try to knife someone RIGHT IN FRONT of a cop. Let alone someone carrying a little dog in one arm. It had to be instinctual and driven by adrenaline because otherwise it's just too stupid. Either way, I hope people don't try to turn her into some sort of martyr because I feel that will undo a lot of the progress that was JUST made.
    Yeah I have to agree. And truthfully, I don't think too much will be made out of this incident. Likely it was the proximity to the Chauvin trail and the girl's age that got the attention. And "luckily", though that word feels like a cruel joke in this situation, there are quite a few other cases of police killings we can work through. So there's that.

Also, we get to see Tucker Carlson meltdown. That's fun right?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...b047b9f8b40e4d