Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    where the fuck are the adults?
    Well, one of them was there kicking a kid in the head

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Well, your optimism in the purity of intentions of people, ideologies and parties sure is admirable. Reminds me of myself when I was still a decade younger.

Just remember, the road to hell is paved with virtuous intentions.
    How would you know when you've never stuck by a consistent ideology or personality for more than a few months? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    This whole thing is fucking insane. The only reason this is national news is because she was 16.

Why the fuck is a 16-year old trying to stab someone and where the fuck are the adults?

This tragedy could've been avoided but it isn't up to the cops to avoid this tragedy. They did what they were trained to do and in this specific situation, the choices they made were correct.
    I had heard the one to call the cops was the one with the knife, in which case... do you now believe self-defence is not a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I had heard the one to call the cops was the one with the knife, in which case... do you now believe self-defence is not a thing?
    Still hearing conflicting things about who called 911. So far we know the argument started because the girl that died was told to clean the house. Also self defense is absolutely a thing, but a cop seeing someone running around trying to stab two different people is going to target the person trying to do the stabbing. It is also why there are instances of good guys/undercovers with guns getting shot by police because all the police sees is someone about to shoot someone and they act on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    She was not being attacked by the individual she charged at with a knife. This is not self defense.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Black women steps in to help another black woman who is protesting. Perfect example of how police officers need extensive retraining in mental health, de-escalation, and a number of other social work areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Well, one of them was there kicking a kid in the head
    Yeah that was... interesting... Whole thing seems to be fucked up, I really wanna see the full story outside of the stabby stabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Yep.
    Not everyone lives in Eurotopia, honey. Some of us have to put up with shitty postcolonial cultures and regimes.

Once again, y'all continue to leave out the part where this is somehow justification for defaulting to lethal force.

The idea that it's acceptable to skip the judicial process and carry out an execution so long as a badly trained rent-a-cop deems it necessary is kinda cringe, so I'm not sure why you're pushing it.
    So next you gonna say that teachers broke up knife fights with bare hands?
    Blaming colonialism for knife fights. What now?!

You love calling people honeys, it seems. That is kinda creepy and/or attempt at playing someone older with more authority. Stop that crap, please.

I am sure you are bigger expert than the cop who shot her in deciding what force should have been used xD. It basically sounds as if you are attempting to say that every single case where cops shoots someone is an execution instead of stopping a threat.
    Justification is simple - stopping an attacker with weapon in the middle of actual attack. No, tasers are not the magical answer to everything, no matter how much you love throwing around insults like "badly trained rent-a-cop". It is just your headcannon, not the absolute truth/law.
    Last edited by Easo; 2021-04-23 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So next you gonna say that teachers broke up knife fights with bare hands?
    Ms. Gonzalez was not armed at the time, no.

Police are special snowflakes in that other public servants are expected to deal with the margins of civil society, but they alone are given a free pass in using violence and intimidation to do so. And they alone have a legion of pathetic shills ready to excuse them, to boot.

Blaming colonialism for knife fights.
    It's almost as if antisocial behavior tends to be a result of poor social support networks, the inevitable consequence of postcolonial systems like the United States. Again, not all of us have the luxury of living in Eurotopia sweaty.

You love calling people honeys, it seems. That is kinda creepy and/or attempt at playing someone older with more authority. Stop that crap, please.
    No. <3

I am sure you are bigger expert than the cop who shot her in deciding what force should have been used xD.
    Having dealt with all manner of suspects, criminals, and distressed people in a healthcare setting while police are present - yes, I am going to claim a level of expertise here in de-escalation.

Somehow my peers and I manage to be able to do our jobs without brutalizing patients.

It basically sounds as if you are attempting to say that every single case where cops shoots someone is an execution instead of stopping a threat.
    An official sanctioned by the state ending someone's life using the force of law as justification is an execution, sweaty. The fact y'all are so shy about using the term just shows you know this behavior is uncivilized.

Justification is simple - stopping an attacker with weapon in the middle of actual attack.
    Lethal force should not be the default.

No, tasers are not the magical answer to everything
    Neither are firearms.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-04-23 at 08:52 PM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2021/04...is-raging.html

Arresting kids and confiscating their bikes for not having licenses? Yes, this is truly the life-threatening work police to do keep us safe from *checks notes* teenagers riding bicycles.
    As much I don't like US cops. I think you should watch the video before actually judging they situation.

Just look at 5:20 in. They are riding bikes in reckless manner at wrong side of the road while doing wheelies. I think it's appropriate to do some response in these cases as they only endager themselves but other road users. I have seen enough of these wheelie assholes on public roads and they really need to stop it. If you want to go do wheelies do it on some empty parking lot and not on actual publics roads.

Now wheter it's actually worth arrest in this case it's probably not the case, but confiscating bike for awhile if you aren't riding them properly seems reasonable enough.
    Last edited by luc54; 2021-04-23 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    They are riding bikes in reckless manner at wrong side of the road while doing wheelies. I think it's appropriate to do some response in these cases as they only endager themselves but other road users. I have seen enough of these wheelie assholes on public roads and they really need to stop it. If you want to go do wheelies do it on some empty parking lot and not on actual publics roads.

Now wheter it's actually worth arrest in this case it's probably not the case, but confiscating bike for awhile if you aren't riding them properly seems reasonable enough.
    Cool, sounds a lot like what kids have done since like, forever. Ride in residential streets and be kids. Officer in the white shirt pretty much does the right thing, gives them a warning and fucks off.

Then things go downhill from there as another officer decides that she wants to confiscate their bikes and contradict what the other officer just told them. And then arrests a kid for calling out the bullshit she's spewing.

Are kids like this annoying on the road? Sure, I've run into tons of asshole bikers, kids or not. But like, share the road and understand that kids will be kids. It ain't super hard and it's a minor inconvenience while giving the kids something to do that keeps them out of actual trouble.

This kind of shit, confiscating bikes for riding them on the sidewalk or street in residential neighborhoods, is horse shit. And it's this exact kind of criminalization of play that leads to, "Oh where did these kids go wrong and how did they end up involved in gangs/criminal behavior!" because they weren't allowed to be fuckin kids, and were at times actively punished for being fuckin kids.

That's not how you build a relationship with communities as police, which they should be doing to promote public safety and ensure that they can be trusted by the people they are supposedly working for. White shirt cop was doing the right thing (even if the police response was a bit extra). The other officer and everything that happened after that, weren't.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I saw Chauvin’s sentencing is scheduled for June 16th. I hope he gets the max, but for now we get to wait.
    That would set a good start for future case and hopefully deter further cases.

But the realist in me says he will get 10 the most.

I wish I could the trust the police moto I grew up hearing “Serve and protect”.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post

I saw in the news of a former cop, whining about Chauvin's case. Saying they are now coming after cops for "doing their jobs". And I was like, is it his job to murder black people in the street?

Can't find the article, but jesus christ, it was fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    And I was like, is it his job to murder black people in the street?
    In may officers eyes, apparently, discretionary use of lethal force on compliant suspects or suspects in distress is a part of their job.

Cool, sounds a lot like what kids have done since like, forever. Ride in residential streets and be kids. Officer in the white shirt pretty much does the right thing, gives them a warning and fucks off.

Then things go downhill from there as another officer decides that she wants to confiscate their bikes and contradict what the other officer just told them. And then arrests a kid for calling out the bullshit she's spewing.

Are kids like this annoying on the road? Sure, I've run into tons of asshole bikers, kids or not. But like, share the road and understand that kids will be kids. It ain't super hard and it's a minor inconvenience while giving the kids something to do that keeps them out of actual trouble.

This kind of shit, confiscating bikes for riding them on the sidewalk or street in residential neighborhoods, is horse shit. And it's this exact kind of criminalization of play that leads to, "Oh where did these kids go wrong and how did they end up involved in gangs/criminal behavior!" because they weren't allowed to be fuckin kids, and were at times actively punished for being fuckin kids.

That's not how you build a relationship with communities as police, which they should be doing to promote public safety and ensure that they can be trusted by the people they are supposedly working for. White shirt cop was doing the right thing (even if the police response was a bit extra). The other officer and everything that happened after that, weren't.
    Well I suppose it's a strong measure and it should be only used at last resort. Police should contact the kids parents and show them the footage how they drive very close to incoming traffic. Just because they are kids doesn't mean they should be allowed to do whatver they want on the road. Ultimately it's about protecting themselves here.

From what I can see they are clearly skilled at BMX riding. The channel has some other videos demostrating this. I don't think the goal here is to prevent them from doing it but doing it in a manner that's safe for themselves and others. I don't think anyone is gonna end up in gang if they don't join some criminal gangs if they are told they should do these things at an appropriate place instead of in middle of the traffic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post

That motto seems like the motto of the GOP police worshippers. Rather than police protecting people it's them serving and protecting police from consequences of their murders and brutality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    Well I suppose it's a strong measure and it should be only used at last resort. Police should contact the kids parents
    No they shouldn't. This is not the sort of situation that merits a police response; again, attitudes like yours just encourage overpolicing and an adversarial relationship between the community and its law enforcement.

Stop being a Karen.

No they shouldn't. This is not the sort of situation that merits a police response.
    In a law enforcement capacity, I agree. In a public safety capacity, I disagree. Kids were being kids and doing some dumb shit in the streets. Fair enough, cops give them a warning and if necessary maybe give the parents a heads up that their kids are riding around on public streets dangerously and (for some) without helmets and let the parents handle it as they want. If the cops keep seeing the same kids doing the same shit, then it's worth potentially taking further steps.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a law enforcement capacity, I agree. In a public safety capacity, I disagree.
    I do not believe traditional policing is equipped to handle matters of public safety in a non-adversarial manner. It merits a response, just not a police response: defund those bitches and find better public servants for that task.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The very idea that police are needed for a case as bad as.... Kids riding their bikes in the street, is absolutely bonkers to me.

Do they not have actual crime to respond to?
    Yes, but that's assuming a police response would actually result in crimes being solved.

"The data show that consistently over the decades, fewer than half of serious crimes are reported to police. Few, if any arrests are made in those cases.

In reality, about 11% of all serious crimes result in an arrest, and about 2% end in a conviction. Therefore, the number of people police hold accountable for crimes – what I call the “criminal accountability” rate – is very low."

No they shouldn't. This is not the sort of situation that merits a police response; again, attitudes like yours just encourage overpolicing and an adversarial relationship between the community and its law enforcement.

Stop being a Karen.
    It is almost like electing another status quo president solidified a system of fundamental oppression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frandistal View Post
    It is almost like electing another status quo president solidified a system of fundamental oppression.
    The alternative was a regression into full on fascism, please sit down and think of something on topic to complain about.