10+ Year Old Account
    More of you should bother reading the article first, otherwise your comments are just the epitome of ignorant.

FFS, Edge even stated it: they were security guards, not cops. So no, the city is not going to pay an 8-figure sum to the family. No, qualified immunity is not a thing in this case.

And yes, the guy died... of the original stage 4 renal failure that he was in the hospital for in the first place, waiting for a possible transplant that never came about. So no, murder charges are not warranted.

Like... if you can't be bothered to read, then why bother to comment at all? Or at least with such... conviction? It's like you don't even care about facts at all, which is just sad.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    More of you should bother reading the article first, otherwise your comments are just the epitome of ignorant.

FFS, Edge even stated it: they were security guards, not cops. So no, the city is not going to pay an 8-figure sum to the family. No, qualified immunity is not a thing in this case.

And yes, the guy died... of the original stage 4 renal failure that he was in the hospital for in the first place, waiting for a possible transplant that never came about. So no, murder charges are not warranted.

Like... if you can't be bothered to read, then why bother to comment at all? Or at least with such... conviction? It's like you don't even care about facts at all, which is just sad.
    Or maybe it's a simple mistake and you could've just pointed it out rather than trying to make it into some big deal?

So be it. 8-figure settlement from the company that employed that security team. All this changes is who should be held responsible and paying for the victims' family's pain and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.firstcoastnews.com/amp/a...f-b31325ec6bed

That cops can just fuckin destroy your home and then leave you with the bill is dumb as fuck.
    That's been a thing for a while and it can get even worse than this case. Eg if a cop serving a warrant accidentally goes to the wrong address and destroys the front door of a completely innocent person's house in a forced entry.... they still won't pay for the damages.

And if you think that's bad, there's some insane abuses that happen with civil asset forfeiture.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Or maybe it's a simple mistake and you could've just pointed it out rather than trying to make it into some big deal?

So be it. 8-figure settlement from the company that employed that security team. All this changes is who should be held responsible and paying for the victims' family's pain and suffering.
    Oh the hyprocrisy here xD. You are the one usually making a HUGE deal of any mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Oh the hyprocrisy here xD. You are the one usually making a HUGE deal of any mistake.
    Meaning you have nothing to add to any conversation and you are just here to troll and bait. Yet, you are not infracted about that.
    Something something stones in a glass house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I mean someone would be accountable and that would be a step in the right direction. A security team is held to far higher and stricter standards then a police force.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Something something stones in a glass house.
    My point still stands, and he seems old enough to take care of himself without his fan club coming to simp for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    I mean someone would be accountable
    Accountable to whom, exactly?

Private security teams are only accountable to the highest bidder; moreover, giving them the monopoly of force creates situations where they can effectively run protection rackets.

Privatization of essential services is a shitty and stupid strategy.

My point still stands
    The point where most of your recent posts in this thread have been complaining about people not posting constructively right before you proceed to not post constructively (by calling someone a hypocrite, no less)?

Someone call Alanis Morrissette, I have another incident to report.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Accountable to whom, exactly?

Private security teams are only accountable to the highest bidder; moreover, giving them the monopoly of force creates situations where they can effectively run protection rackets.

Privatization of essential services is a shitty and stupid strategy.

The point where most of your recent posts in this thread have been complaining about people not posting constructively right before you proceed to not post constructively (by calling someone a hypocrite, no less)?

Someone call Alanis Morrissette, I have another incident to report.
    Which he is. Stop derailing further the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which he is. Stop derailing further the thread.
    Might want to take it up with this person:

Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

I specifically noted they appeared to be security guards, and that I wasn't 100% on if they were law enforcement but that it was unlikely.

I never attributed their actions to his death, because I read the article and know it had nothing to do with it. My comments were purely on them fuckin beating the shit outta a guy who was just looking for his fuckin car.

But you're right dude, you're always right and reasonable while everyone else is unreasonable and wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I was going to point it out earlier today when I saw your mistake, but then, like a reasonable person, I saw that Edge had made the comment unnecessary by pointing out the same thing. Foolish me, I assumed that even if you were too lazy (or too full of your own self-righteousness) to bother reading the article before continuing to talk about a situation in such vehement terms, that you'd at least read Edge's comment and realize said mistake.

Narp.

...and no murder charges... right?

The facts help. Willfully ignoring the facts and substituting your own personal bias... doesn't.

I specifically noted they appeared to be security guards, and that I wasn't 100% on if they were law enforcement but that it was unlikely.

I never attributed their actions to his death, because I read the article and know it had nothing to do with it. My comments were purely on them fuckin beating the shit outta a guy who was just looking for his fuckin car.

But you're right dude, you're always right and reasonable while everyone else is unreasonable and wrong.
    Strange. I seem to recall actively stating that you were the only person who responded accurately.

Whatever persecution complex you've got going, you might want to look into that, because you're way off base.

It's sad that I was going to hold you up in this instance as the example of a more reasonable respondent. Buuuuut yeah. You just made a lie of that. Kudos.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

You don’t know what hypocrisy is do you?

5+ Year Old Account
    Move on and stay on topic/civil. Threads don't need to be hampered by petty spats.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

https://www.yahoo.com/now/apd-erred-...031500510.html

So apparently the cops that burned down the house and killed a teen executing that search warrant?

Yeah, it was for a parole violation. There was no federal warrant out for the individuals request as they'd earlier claimed. It's weird how often cops get "confused" and end up appearing to lie. Very weird.

So apparently the cops that burned down the house and killed a teen executing that search warrant?

Yeah, it was for a parole violation. There was no federal warrant out for the individuals request as they'd earlier claimed. It's weird how often cops get "confused" and end up appearing to lie. Very weird.
    Elegiac and I talked about this yesterday in the thread. Here are two links with a lot more info than the yahoo link about the case.
    https://sourcenm.com/2022/07/13/apd-...-in-swat-raid/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/11/u...ager-dead.html
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2022-07-14 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

If an officer lies or puts false information on a police report or search warrant, that should be considered perjury and they should be charged with a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    If an officer lies or puts false information on a police report or search warrant, that should be considered perjury and they should be charged with a felony.
    From the link:
    "The search warrant indicated that Mr. Kelley had outstanding felony arrest warrants," Rodriguez said. "This was the first time that our office was made aware of Mr. Kelley's involvement in any recent criminal activity. APD has not submitted reports or requested any arrest warrants for Mr. Kelley to our office for new charges."

Felony arrest warrants — a "generically sufficient term" — can refer to warrants for parole or probation violations as long as the initial charge was a felony, according to attorney Ahmad Assed.

Kelley was only wanted on one felony arrest warrant — the parole violation.
    It seems the false information was them saying warrants as in more than one, the article however did say he still had one. However as I posted yesterday a quote from a different article was:
    In reality, New Mexico Corrections Department Probation and Parole Division Director Melanie Martinez on March 21 signed a warrant for Kelley’s arrest, saying he violated five conditions of his parole.

A parole violation is not a felony and is not handled by a criminal court. Instead, it is adjudicated by the state Probation and Parole board.
    So I am wondering which one it was. One article states that parole violations are not a felony which would mean the warrant was even more wrong in the yahoo article, but the other one says the warrant happened because of five violations of the parole.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2022-07-14 at 09:47 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cops in Denver decide it was a grand idea to start open firing on a suspect who was in the middle of a crowd. The suspect and five bystanders were injured and are in serious or critical condition.

Also gonna just take a small aside to rant about the passive voices that go on in a lot of these articles involving cops shooting at people, because this one in particular makes it seem like five people mysteriously came down with bullet wounds despite only one party firing any weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Cops in Denver decide it was a grand idea to start open firing on a suspect who was in the middle of a crowd. The suspect and five bystanders were injured and are in serious or critical condition.

Also gonna just take a small aside to rant about the passive voices that go on in a lot of these articles involving cops shooting at people, because this one in particular makes it seem like five people mysteriously came down with bullet wounds despite only one party firing any weapons.
    No officers were injured during the incident.
    Phew, that's truly the most important thing.

Though I love the way police and the outlet writes about this -

[quote[Police then noticed there were multiple people in the crowd who had been injured “as a result of this incident.”[/quote]

Ah yes, the incident. Also known as police officers shooting a bunch of people because they behaved dangerously, irresponsibly, and recklessly.

One day it might finally be time to ask if every Tom, Dick, and Jane being a potentially armed suspect is safe for average citizens or officers...but today is not this day, clearly.