Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Shadowmourne is tiny

I know Its far too late. I have just got the blade. I knew it is a bit small. I wasn't expecting Armageddon. But damn its way too small. Am i the only one think its tiny? I'll use it anyways its hard(time gated grind) to get. also which tmogs you recommend for dk and warr

That's why i would never go for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
    I know Its far too late. I have just got the blade. I knew it is a bit small. I wasn't expecting Armageddon. But damn its way too small. Am i the only one think its tiny? I'll use it anyways its hard(time gated grind) to get. also which tmogs you recommend for dk and warr
    It looks ridiculous indeed.
    Should have been 1.5 times bigger.
    Not a fan of it eighter.

Looks good with this set imo: https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set...liance-recolor

Shadowmourne looks like trash. Always did.
    Never did the quest because the looks completely turned me off.

Frostmourne is tiny too. I guess they went with the same aesthetic design.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Frostmourne is tiny too. I guess they went with the same aesthetic design.
    Frostmourne is a 1handed weapon, it's supposed to be small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Not with a hilt that size it isn't, it's clearly a short 2-handed sword (ie: a short longsword), or at most a bastard sword.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

On the contrary I feel that Shadowmourne is just the right size and that most other weapons in the game are ridiculously oversized.

Ideally, I'd like to see the transmog system give us the option to scale our weapons, shields/ohands, and shoulders up or down to some degree (say up to 20% in either direction). This way I can have more realistically sized items and those who believe bigger is better can have things the way they want as well. We all win in that case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    On the contrary I feel that Shadowmourne is just the right size and that most other weapons in the game are ridiculously oversized.

Ideally, I'd like to see the transmog system give us the option to scale our weapons, shields/ohands, and shoulders up or down to some degree (say up to 20% in either direction). This way I can have more realistically sized items and those who believe bigger is better can have things the way they want as well. We all win in that case.
    Orc shoulders being 20% larger than they already are would be an absolute nightmare.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frostmourne is not a 1 handed weapon... It's a Longsword, and contrary to what a lot of games have taught you, Longswords are two handed weapons... In fact the only time Arthas uses it one handed is on horseback, his attack animations in WoW (and in WC3 before he becomes a Death Knight), hold the weapon and swing it with two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I agree with this.

It's other weapons that are oversized, Shadowmourne is one of the ones that is reasonable.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Frostmourne is not a 1 handed weapon..
    It's a 1handed weapon. It's sheathed at the hip.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a 1handed weapon. It's sheathed at the hip.
    ... That's not how that works.

How a weapon is designed to be used, and it's point of balance, is what determines if it's 1 or 2 handed.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

... That's not how that works.
    Two handed weapons sheathe on the back because otherwise they're plowing the ground, being too long to hang at the hip.

well most of the weapons in this game are ridiculously oversized and blunted, totally cartoonish

having at least some more realistic options is welcome

10+ Year Old Account
    Two handed weapons sheathe on the back because otherwise they're plowing the ground, being too long to hang at the hip.
    Remove game mechanics from your argument, this is a lore discussion not a game mechanics discussion. How it is used, not where it sheaths, is what matters.

It's a Longsword, and contrary to what a lot of games have taught you, Longswords are two handed weapons... In fact the only time Arthas uses it one handed is on horseback because he has to hold onto the reigns with his other hand. His attack animations in WoW (and in WC3 before he becomes a Death Knight, and in every cinematic), hold the weapon and swing it with two hands, it has a long hilt, clearly designed to be used with 2 hands, and in lore (Blood of the Highborne, chapter 2) it is described as a "two handed longsword".

How a weapon is designed to be used, and it's point of balance, is what determines if it's 1 or 2 handed, not where it's sheathed. In case you were unaware, back sheathing isn't a thing IRL either, even with large 2 handed weapons like longswords... It's purely an aesthetic thing in videogames and film because it doesn't actually work.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-05-26 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frostmourne is not a 1 handed weapon... It's a Longsword, and contrary to what a lot of games have taught you, Longswords are two handed weapons... In fact the only time Arthas uses it one handed is on horseback, his attack animations in WoW (and in WC3 before he becomes a Death Knight), hold the weapon and swing it with two hands.
    If one would nitpick, it's a "hand-and-a-half sword", or a Bastard Sword.

But I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post

But I agree with you.
    It's too large for that, also the 2014 novella "Blood of the Highborne" very specifically calls it a "two handed longsword".
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-05-26 at 06:53 PM.

Regarding Shadowmourne; it is indeed fairly small as compared to most WoW weapons. Burning Crusade was defined by crazy, over-the-top visuals, which is why when Wrath came out, it was defined by much more grounded visuals. Just look at some of those early Shields; they're literally just boards of wood with a bit of tapestry draped over them.

Coming from TBC, those designs were seen as being very cool and unique. In the many years since then, though, many Wrath designs would be seen as "boring" or "a bit plain". Certainly not ALL, mind you (as many have pointed out, Armageddon remains one of the most ridiculous weapons in the game), but as a whole, Wrath was a much more subdued expansion, and Shadowmourne's design reflects this.

The problem is pretty clear; Blizzard clearly thought about getting players Frostmourne, but decided not to. They'd already been holding it over players as a carrot-on-a-stick, so they decided "Hey, why don't we just make Frostmourne into an Axe?". There is also a significant amount of evidence to suggest this was done exclusively to appease Warriors, who at the time could only make use of Axes (there were very few 2hand Sword during Wrath, another testament to this).

All in all... Shadowmourne had a really cool quest-chain, I think, but was ultimately one of the least memorable Legendaries produced, up until "welfare legendaries" in MoP, and of course the non-legendaries of Legion and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post

But I agree with you.
    It's most definitely not a bastard sword. It's a longsword at most. In simple terms, a greatsword is a sword that's as tall as the wielder.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Orc shoulders being 20% larger than they already are would be an absolute nightmare.
    But how would they be if 20% smaller? Having the choice would be a net positive imo.