Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    Ok I'll remember this next time I meet King Elizabeth
    That's a bit of historical bizarreness, the question you have to ask is if there is no king or queen, then you don't call the missing thing a king or a queen, the office is monarch (or similar). If the president of the US isn't there, then the office of president still exists.

King and Queen are like Actor and Actress.
    Monarch is like President

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Why does he/she/it have a gender anyways?
    It's not like it's a living being. The arbiter won't ever reproduce. The binary distinction between male and female only applies to most higher animals (humans included), because that was nature's way of ensuring optimal evolution.
    In WoW, most (all?) living beings were created by the titans and cursed by the old gods. Somewhere along the way lies the explanation for sexual dimorphism on Azeroth, but I don't think there's a canon explanation for it.

But why the arbiter should have a gender will probably never adressed in lore. It should be "it", but it's humanoid looking. And that is the problem:
    Everything that resembles a human will be classified by its appearance first: Has it boobs? Yes? Okay, "she". No? "He". If it's not clear, then gender is determinded by voice. Now, does the arbiter look very feminin? Arguably so, but not definitly. So assigning a gender to something very androgyn looking makes really no sense at first glance, but I'm sure the arbiter will be voiceacted, so it has to have a gender (or player instictively give it one, based on it's voice). Meaning, its gender will have absolutely no effect and was just chosen based on the voice it is given.

That means, that Arbiter (generic masculine) is its name, because its gender does not matter at all for anything other than voiceacting (and because humans will always categorize something humanoid into male or female).
    Even dudes have boobs m8

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Somethings you can apply gender to. Such as hunter/huntress, actor/actress Police women/men or police officer works too. But things like judge and in this case arbiter gender has no place in it.
    Fun fact, in Ancient Greece, the embodiment of Justice was the Goddess of Justice (Δικαιοσύνη, Dikaiosini), who was a beautiful woman, wearing a blindfold, holding a pair of scales in one hand and a longsword in the other hand (Blindfold because Justice is blind and applies equally to everyone, scales because she is fair and impartial, sword because punishment must be executed swiftly and efficiently). The word "justice" itself is female in Greek. Hence, the argument could be made that the whole concept of Justice/Arbiter of Justice is in fact, a female role, as expressed by the Ancient Greeks 3.5k years ago

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    We are not in 1982 buddy. There are no Actresses any more. They are all Actors. Catch up or become irrelevant.
    This is dumb. Why do we want English to get even more primitive?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That's a bit of historical bizarreness, the question you have to ask is if there is no king or queen, then you don't call the missing thing a king or a queen, the office is monarch (or similar). If the president of the US isn't there, then the office of president still exists.

King and Queen are like Actor and Actress.
    Monarch is like President
    My country had only kings. Females were kings too. Queen was a word used only for women who married kings.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I'm pretty sure that's a title.

not that it matters.

it has a better ring to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    My country had only kings. Females were kings too. Queen was a word used only for women who married kings.
    Indeed - but generally speaking a King is a person who fills the role of Monarch.

So the role of Arbiter exists independent of who (or what) fills the role.

Sort of like Chairman was a role that used to (before PC culture confused things) be independent of who or what filled it, notice that now the title has been incorrectly changed to Chairperson (not to Chairman and Chairwoman).

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Indeed - but generally speaking a King is a person who fills the role of Monarch.

So the role of Arbiter exists independent of who (or what) fills the role.

Sort of like Chairman was a role that used to (before PC culture confused things) be independent of who or what filled it, notice that now the title has been incorrectly changed to Chairperson (not to Chairman and Chairwoman).

Chairperson new allied race when?
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Chairperson new allied race when?
    Racial : Can consume food and drink whilst walking or swimming - because, well, you are always seated

Racial : Can consume food and drink whilst walking or swimming - because, well, you are always seated
    Would be OP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    I would only support using Arbitress to discern her from the one true Arbiter: Thel Vadam

(sorry I couldn't help it)
    Okay that legit looks like a tv show. Is there a Halo tv show I missed out on? If so where is it so I can give them ALL my money?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Fun fact, in Ancient Greece, the embodiment of Justice was the Goddess of Justice (Δικαιοσύνη, Dikaiosini), who was a beautiful woman, wearing a blindfold, holding a pair of scales in one hand and a longsword in the other hand (Blindfold because Justice is blind and applies equally to everyone, scales because she is fair and impartial, sword because punishment must be executed swiftly and efficiently). The word "justice" itself is female in Greek. Hence, the argument could be made that the whole concept of Justice/Arbiter of Justice is in fact, a female role, as expressed by the Ancient Greeks 3.5k years ago
    The Arbiter is clearly based visually on the Lady of Pain from Planescape. My guess is that the circular Oribos (orobouros) city started from brainstorming off the torus city of Sigil in Planescape as well.
    Last edited by kansor; 2022-04-10 at 10:58 PM.
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

OP, you DARE assume the gender of the Arbiter?! This isn't the pre-2010's you pig!

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    you dont see female druids get called druidess now do you?
    To be fair.. there is no female term for druid but there is for arbiter since there were no female druids but there were arbitresses lol

Also sounds cooler and more unique IMO

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/arbitress
    no for the same reason that a busdriver and nurse are a busdriver and a nurse no matter which of the 325 gender they are.

Did you just assume the gender of the word arbiter?

Also sounds cooler and more unique IMO

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/arbitress
    Arbiter IS used for females too. And arbitress sounds like a Laxative...

While the arbiter looks female, we don't even know if male/female aplies to here. She looks like a construct.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Okay that legit looks like a tv show. Is there a Halo tv show I missed out on? If so where is it so I can give them ALL my money?
    That's from Halo 2: Anniversary Edition and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Studio Blur made the cutscenes in this and Halo 4 and they really know their stuff. The game also looks absolutely stunning. You can also watch all the cutscenes on YouTube.

Why does he/she/it have a gender anyways?
    Because Blizzard gave her one when they wrote up material discussing her.

It's not like it's a living being. The arbiter won't ever reproduce. The binary distinction between male and female only applies to most higher animals (humans included), because that was nature's way of ensuring optimal evolution.
    That's a very limited world view. Lots of things that do not reproduce are prescribed genders. If you examine the romance languages, for instance, you'll see most things are given either a masculine or feminine descriptor. Reproduction isn't the basis of gender.

In WoW, most (all?) living beings were created by the titans and cursed by the old gods. Somewhere along the way lies the explanation for sexual dimorphism on Azeroth, but I don't think there's a canon explanation for it.
    That explanation works for dwarves, gnomes, humans, troggs, vrykul, tol'vir, mogu, and the like, but it doesn't work for the majority of races. Goblins, trolls (and by extension elves), tauren, pandaren, draenei, anything from Draenor, etc. weren't. The Curse of Flesh only affected the titan-forged, which were only created on Azeroth. There are other flesh creatures beyond those.

But why the arbiter should have a gender will probably never adressed in lore. It should be "it", but it's humanoid looking. And that is the problem:
    Everything that resembles a human will be classified by its appearance first: Has it boobs? Yes? Okay, "she". No? "He". If it's not clear, then gender is determinded by voice. Now, does the arbiter look very feminin? Arguably so, but not definitly. So assigning a gender to something very androgyn looking makes really no sense at first glance, but I'm sure the arbiter will be voiceacted, so it has to have a gender (or player instictively give it one, based on it's voice). Meaning, its gender will have absolutely no effect and was just chosen based on the voice it is given.

That means, that Arbiter (generic masculine) is its name, because its gender does not matter at all for anything other than voiceacting (and because humans will always categorize something humanoid into male or female).
    The easiest way to tell gender is to look it up. Most significant characters (including dungeon/raid bosses) have a prescribed gender, and it doesn't always neatly match the expectation. Skitra, for instance, is male, despite most people in my raid using the feminine pronoun. Blackwater Behemoth is an organic creature, and thus likely has a sex, but uses the gender neutral "it" pronoun (or more likely was prescribed a lack of gender by Azshara). When in doubt, I generally consult the dungeon journal first and then expand my search to other sources if the gender isn't identified there (though generally I don't care enough to look beyond the dungeon journal).

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    That's a very limited world view. Lots of things that do not reproduce are prescribed genders. If you examine the romance languages, for instance, you'll see most things are given either a masculine or feminine descriptor. Reproduction isn't the basis of gender.
    Grammatical and biological gender are rather different things, though. At least some of those languages don't have a neutral gender, either, so everything has to have a masculine or feminine descriptor because the only other option is to not have one.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I prefer Arbiter.

However, everyone coming at OP ought to stop attacking them for how dumb it sounds or gender roles and direct your hate here:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arbitress

OP makes a valid point, not like they just arbitrarily added the -ess at the end. (Pun intended.)